• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A little help?

Briar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd like to hear what you think I might be as a type. I filled out this questionaire from another thread on this forum, and thought I'd just post my own thread for answers (since the poster seemed to not be taking any new submissions :mellow:

I've spent quite a bit of time on my own either studying functions theory, or looking over/discussing it with people on other forums. The reason why I come here is because I'm not exactly sure what I am in terms of the test. At times I have the analytical coldness of some types, and at others I am radiant/energized and warmly boosting my team. Either way, my answers are below, and I would love if someone could take the time to look it over and maybe shoot me a couple suggestions.

Section A: The Basics

If you had an entire day to do whatever you wanted, how would you spend it?

Describe your ideal day/night in.
House is clean/organized, all expectations/obligations are completed (homework done; work related stuff done). I have nothing left to do and am restless for something else to do. I either A) grab coffee and a warm blanket to marathon a show, B) browse personality forums or read, C) leave the house because I have grown bored of being in it alone

Describe your ideal day/night out.
At a cafe, reviewing schoolwork with friends and translating the meaning to them of what I think the professor is wanting in the assignment. Talking about subjects or what is going on in the other people’s lives. Trying new drinks, or ordering the same favorite drink I always do. Light, casual talk with cashiers while ordering. The rain is falling outside, but I am untouched by it.

Or, alternatively:
I am at a bookstore with friends. I have enough money to buy any set of books I want. I spend a couple hours looking over titles for interesting reads. We all go out for dinner and I either find a new food/drink, or I introduce my friends to something new. Good conversation is a must.

BUT MOST IDEALLY:
I am in the passenger seat of my best friend’s truck and he’s got his favorite music playing. The night surrounds us on the highway, and we are heading back from a full day of one of the above mentioned activities^. I watch the treelines and notice how impermanent life is.

List five things you like about yourself.
I like that I have enough knowledge about stuff to fuel a conversation about almost anything
I like that I am able to lighten up the mood when situations are tough for others
It is easy for me to get the underlying theme of something; or read into what someone else wants so I can finish papers easily
I’m able to get along with people pretty well
I find really good gifts for people, and will collect information on people to get the best match possible.

List five things you dislike about yourself.
Sometimes I can steamroll over people when they are “threatening the peace” or being self centered to a degree that it is upsetting others, when there could be a way to solve the problem without causing disruption.
I teeter on the borderline of falling in love too easily, and shutting it down every time.
I get distracted from everyday life by trying to make sense of it/attribute meaning to it that I sometimes end up analyzing situations as if a bystander.
I romanticize people at times, because I can see things about them that make them great (this is negative, because this puts a lot of pressure on the others by accident, as I am seeing their “best self”, which is hard to attain, I admit).
I will sometimes not invite people if I see that them attending a friend gathering will ultimately end in them or someone else being upset.

How have others described you? (Please only use examples from people you have a neutral-positive relationship with, whether criticisms or compliments. Criticisms from people who dislike us and compliments from people who are infatuated with us tend not to hold much truth.)
Intense. I’m often referred to as sweet until others harm those I care about. Because I give most of my warmth to people as I meet them, it only fades as (or if) they disappoint me or harm the group. I’ve been described as analytical, weird (in a good way, apparently?), a person that makes other people laugh, but doesn’t shrug off what needs to be done (Well, I don’t exactly enjoy doing mundane tasks, but I will when I see it will make a difference/really help out). I am unable to “find chill”, but am also enjoyable to be around.

What do you consider your skills?
Gift giving, teaching, helping others understand material, communications, gathering information on people, organizing/theming things. I don’t really think that I have reached the potential I should be at though, and because of this I’m not sure of all the skills I am capable of personally.

What motivates you?
Commitment, using my potential/finding it, being around or helping those I care about, (sometimes, regrettably) spite. I also want to figure out other people and what my relationship to them should be, or if I should avoid them (or if I can help them out of a bad situation to better themselves).

Section B: Digging Deeper

What is your general outlook on life/the world?
Meaning is subjective in the world. Because everyone feels, thinks, exists, and are brought into this (regardless of it being their will or not) world, we have to find some way to make it through existence the best we can because there isn’t another path. There is life and death, to which we are only aware of one consciously. Because of this, we need to focus our attentions on making life as suitable for everyone as possible, and find/make up some meaning for ourselves along the way. Everything is fragile and impermanent, and this makes what we have worthwhile in experiencing.

Do you believe you have a purpose in life? If so, what is it?
I would like to be able to learn more about people and myself. I want to teach or work with training people to better suited for leadership or finding their own paths. I would like a lot of things, but I don’t know if that means it is a purpose or not. I would just like to live comfortably with someone I love, have a career that I love, and maybe find some sort of happiness. Or not. I’m not really sure, honestly.

How do you typically bond with other people? (i.e. slowly or quickly, through what type of activities, etc.) I’m quick to bond with other people. Usually at work, or other structured activities where we share a common ground with each other. I sometimes distract others from their distress with work/school by adding commentary on the absurdity of something (like how that song has played way too many times on the radio); usually I just enjoy suffering alongside my coworkers in a united front against the forces of the world.

What do you find yourself thinking about most frequently?
Personality theory and how it applies to those around me. Or what behavior patterns or things about people might mean about them. I also plot out what I am supposed to do for the following day, and how I can go about completing that, or what people I will have to call upon to make that happen. Sometimes I think about how to “make things happen” for people when they need something and I have a resource that can help.

What are you most afraid of?
Being alone. Also, not finding the illusion of comfortable permanence in a place, person, or thing.

What traits do you admire in others?
Passion towards the things in life that excite them. Being stable and reliable, but also complex. I admire that people have several paths to choose from, but the one that they have chosen is so intimately theirs that they couldn’t be anything else better (not so much in decision making, because people can most certainly make better decisions at times, but moreso in that their mode of existing/consciousness is unique to them personally, and it is exciting to see people who have found comfort/excitement/meaning in their lives).

What traits annoy you in others?
Selfishness. Lack of caring about people outside their spheres. Instability to where I have to worry about their next moves.

What was your childhood like?
Unstable. Lots of moving. People who don’t want to account for their behaviors and take the repercussions of their actions.

What do you want most for yourself?
To be able to help other people through a job that I am good at. I want to understand myself, my environments, and experience a lifetime of good events. I want comfort and stability, but also a never ending supply of experiences and material to process.

What do you want most for others?
Safety, happiness, to be able to feel worth in themselves and what they do. To eliminate bad patterns.

Section C: Interests and Values

What are your favorite things to talk about?
Anything, really.

What are the five most important things to you?
Knowledge, love, comfortable surroundings, security, loved ones

What do you think the world needs more of?
People finding what makes them happy without negatively infringing on others.

What do you think the world needs less of?
Hopelessness, despair, and chaos.

Metis

At first I thought INFJ, then I thought maybe ISFJ, and then I was thinking INFJ again.

I might be biased towards "I" in part because of your low-contrast font choice. It's like when someone speaks so softly that you find yourself having to lean towards their face to hear them. But I think "I" is right anyhow.

I don’t really think that I have reached the potential I should be at though, and because of this I’m not sure of all the skills I am capable of personally.

I like that point.

usually I just enjoy suffering alongside my coworkers in a united front against the forces of the world.

:huh:

Briar

MBTI Type
INFJ
At first I thought INFJ, then I thought maybe ISFJ, and then I was thinking INFJ again.

I might be biased towards "I" in part because of your low-contrast font choice. It's like when someone speaks so softly that you find yourself having to lean towards their face to hear them. But I think "I" is right anyhow.

I like that point.

:huh:

I worked seasonal retail recently, so one thing I found I liked about it was finding common ground through a common adversary with my coworkers. It really brought us together since we used it to pull ourselves up with and deal with how chaotic and out of control everything was.

I am pretty energized by being with people, and get very restless when I am left alone for too long. But, I guess I could also see introverted qualities, since most of my past-times seem to correlate with things associated with introverts. Out of curiosity, what is it that draws you to thinking IxFJ?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Try this test.
It seems to get accurate results.
http://www.discordia-inc.co.uk/misc/mbtitest.html

Metis

Out of curiosity, what is it that draws you to thinking IxFJ?

I'm sorry, but I'm spending too much time on this forum and need to get out and do other things. I feel like I'm getting sucked into a world mediated by a computer and I hate that. I need to set this activity aside for now.

BUT:

Welcome to Typology Central, Briar! There are a lot of great people on here to talk with. Have a wonderful rest of your year, and a Happy New Year!

:cheers::party2::birthday::hifive:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Thanks for the test link!
I got INxJ with these being my results:

Introversion (I): 11
versus
Extroversion (E): 10

Sensing (S): 5
versus
Intuition (N): 17

Thinking (T): 13
versus
Feeling (F): 13

Judging (J): 12
versus
Perceiving (P): 3
OK! Good!
I'm a little concerned about your T vs F score.
It should be our goal for psychological health to be "differentiated" toward one more than the other.
Two of your other MBTI dimensions are well-differentiated, so that's good.

Well, I think you can move forward from here working on trying to discern whether you prefer T or F.
That dimension was the hardest for me to figure out for myself. It took me 3 months!
I WANTED to be an F, but I had to accept the fact that I was a T.

Briar

MBTI Type
INFJ
Are there any good ways to look into if I prefer F or T as a preference? From what I read up on the two types, they seem to only mostly differ in where the attention of their Ni function is focused. I mean, I do like getting things done at times, but I also have a preference for wanting to maintain a good "vibe" for everyone, and am uncomfortable when other people are upset (to me, my guess is that this could mean either I want them to genuinely be happy and create order and peace, or that I may selfishly want their peace so I don't have to deal with it).

If I go by profile for the two, I tend to have more interest in social studies/psychology and trying to guess about the traits of/observe people, but I would also have some traits of wanting to get things planned/done and checked off a list at times (though that could be a misinterpretation of Te in INTJ, and more a 'J' thing?).

Was there something you found helpful in finding the distinction in yourself?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Are there any good ways to look into if I prefer F or T as a preference? From what I read up on the two types, they seem to only mostly differ in where the attention of their Ni function is focused. I mean, I do like getting things done at times, but I also have a preference for wanting to maintain a good "vibe" for everyone, and am uncomfortable when other people are upset (to me, my guess is that this could mean either I want them to genuinely be happy and create order and peace, or that I may selfishly want their peace so I don't have to deal with it).

If I go by profile for the two, I tend to have more interest in social studies/psychology and trying to guess about the traits of/observe people, but I would also have some traits of wanting to get things planned/done and checked off a list at times (though that could be a misinterpretation of Te in INTJ, and more a 'J' thing?).

Was there something you found helpful in finding the distinction in yourself?

You seem to be very knowledgeable about the cognizant functions. I am not so much.
The dimensions known as F & T represent the way we make decisions... the criteria on which we base our decisions... that which we hold up as deciding factors in our every day life.
A T is more likely to prefer to step back and make an objective decision.
An F is more likely to prefer to put themselves into a situation and make a subjective decision.

From Paul Tieger's website:
How do you decide or come to conclusions?

Thinkers make decisions based primarily on objective and impersonal criteria--what makes the most sense and what is logical. Feelers make decisions based primarily on their personal values and how they feel about the choices. So, Thinkers tend to be cool, analytical, and are convinced by logical reasoning. Feelers tend to be sensitive, empathetic, and are compelled by extenuating circumstances and a constant search for harmony.

Thinkers often:
Make decisions objectively
Appear cool and reserved
Are most convinced by rational arguments
Are honest and direct
Value honesty and fairness
Take few things personally
Are good at seeing flaws
Are motivated by achievement
Argue or debate issues for fun

Feelers often:
Decide based on their values & feelings