• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't think I can be typed

batora

I've taken this test a number of times and I generally inconsistent results; from INFJ to ISTP. The only consistent factor is that I score as an introvert, which is only by a marginal score. I've also tried to hang out with others of the type I thought I was and it lead me down a descending ladder: The INFJs said I was an INFP, the INFPs said I was an INTJ, the INTJs said I was an ISTJ, and the ISTJs said I was an INTP...despite scoring most recently as an ISTP. Cognitive functions also yield the same result, with the only consistent order being that Se is the lowest function, but even then I've been told my Se function is merely "repressed" upon my behalf. I've tried ordering such functions myself and they're very hard to parse between for the most part.

edit: I'm going to try to organise my bullet points per category so it won't be a jumbled mess.

Some things about myself (in no specific order, just whatever comes to mind):
Specifically about myself:
- I've read that politeness/having manners is linked to being "traditional" but I disagree with that statement. I'm not anti-tradition and I will use whatever style works best for me; whether it yields a particular result that I desire or it's more effective in terms of time and method. It does not inherently have to be something old nor does it have to be something brand new. Often times I will combine both styles.
- This is a bit ironic, but I readily admit I am selective of my reality. I think everyone is, no matter how "logical" they are. You can be the most superficially logical person and merely look for "studies" (which, often in my experience have so many pitfalls that they are only "reliable" for winning internet arguments or talking about minutiae) that confirm your own beliefs but ignore the ones you don't.
- My room is always clean. I make my bed every morning. It's fairly important that my personal spaces be clean but not necessarily to a pedantic degree.
- I'm very good at anticipating people's actions and quickly finding out what type of person they are, but I often secondguess myself on who they are simply because a part of me feels like it's a bit illogical to do such a thing even though in my experiences my perception has at worst been exaggerated but never inaccurate. If I, for example, anticipate that something I say will irritate a person without a prior experience of why I think so, I will sometimes say it anyway to test my beliefs. At this point I find it a bit humorous, but I am still very self-doubting of this trait of myself though I've come to rely on it heavily.
- I've been told I'm a very serious person. If anyone's aware of the Capricorn stereotype (which I am that sign) of being serious and mature for their age (tooting my own horn here), that describes me perfectly.
- I often learn from observing others and can write more about another person as opposed to myself. All of what I write now is based off of events that I've experienced with people and how certain things they do make me feel a certain way as opposed to me thinking about these things in a vacuum.
- I'm not a morale person. There are some ideas I hold dear to my heart but they are set to change with time as opposed to being static.
- I get bored of things very easily and I do not like monotone routines for long. I quickly want to do something new after I've submerged myself in it long enough to when I know the contents of it very well. Because of this I like to learn a lot of new things to keep myself occupied.
- I'm quite ambitious and dedicated to my goals in life. I'm rarely ever impulsive and my moods may dip but they're never erratic. The few times for example that I have been genuinely livid was almost like an out of body experience. I was very aware that I was angry and I was, for the most part, able to control myself and prevent myself from saying something that I would regret. Another time when my brother accidentally set a fire in the kitchen and I ran downstairs, I was surprised but very calm about the entire matter.

What others say about me:
- The few times I do somewhat befriend people genuinely as opposed for superficial matters, they are very surprised at my change in mannerisms. They typically think I'm naturally saccharine, but in reality I'm very dry/deadpan and sarcastic.
- I like to say that I'm very polite, but not nice or particularly friendly, even though people I know will readily say I'm the latter two adjectives.
- The overwhelming consensus about myself from others is that I'm very serious, nice, friendly, and talkative. The negative traits have been that I'm very domineering and obstinate. All of these are true depending on the circumstance.

About how I view friendships/other people:
- Like I said in my first bullet point, I'm polite but I don't think I'm friendly. I'm very selective of people who I talk to and especially ones who I deem as friends, however because throughout my life I generally talk to people I'm not invested in I became very tolerant of mannerisms that I'd otherwise not like to be around, so I'm relatively patient when it comes to people. But I do have a breaking point and I will cut someone off very quickly if I feel like they're toxic. This generally means a person who's churlish/surly/boorish/(unnecessarily) antagonistic and so forth.
- I get very irritated at people who I perceive as lazy, and my father is one of them. He does not take the time to learn anything new, and will tell other people to do things for him that he does often that he can do himself. For example, he asks me frequently to hook up the cables to our Xbox 360 so he can watch his DVDs. He's been doing this for years and I have tried to teach him and he rejects every opportunity.
- I like helping people, but only if I think they need it. My mum is a contrast to my father and is similar to me in the regard that we try not to bother people as much as possible and we like to do things on our own. She has on several occasions tried to learn how to properly hook up the cables to the 360 and sometimes she's got it correct but often not, but I wholeheartedly help her when she asks me because I see she puts effort in and I appreciate it.
- My ideal type of friendship is someone who I can let my guard down with. I have a very thick mask I wear in every day life and I wear it proudly for the most part; I believe there are certain things you should show to others you aren't close with and preserve the gems for people who you are close with. Showing strangers and acquaintances my true personality without a prior feeling that they would be able to tolerate it feels like perversion to me. I also like someone who is as loyal and intense as I am about the friendship. Recently, I have been talking with this guy who is typed as an INTP and he is very open-minded and someone I trust entirely but he is emotionally desolate, or in other words very shallow and superficial. We talk about a lot of deep topics and have exchanged a number of personal things about ourselves but I feel like our relationship would end without any consideration of our history. As a final analogy, it's the same feeling I have when I extend my hand out to another man to shake hands (out of respect) and he does not extend his out. In other words it's not a tangible relationship that I feel has the same emotional intensity on his part that I initially gave to him, but I realise what the dynamics of it are now and I treat it accordingly.

I can add more if needed but I think this is enough. Hopefully I can get some help. Cheers!

I’d suggest you fill out a questionnaire. Typology Central has a questionnaire compilation thread.

Your info from this is can fit a whole lot of people. (The random info is all over the place) Also, out of curiosity, why did you continue to do the tests instead of switching to research if you got many previous inconsistent results?

Some tentative observations on the parts I did read:
  • The very fact that you have trouble narrowing down your options suggests a lack of Fi
  • You desiring emotional exchange and not just expressing yourself suggests Fe

Try doing a lot of research on individual functions and/or how they affect different types instead of reading just the overall profiles on each type. Some suggestions:

• Stress reactions
  • Function order (know that each function performs a role; the ordering is not just based off strongest to weakest)

Here are some sources I had enjoyed reading:

Note: INTPs (especially the young ones) can treat deep emotional connections like a hot potato due to inferior Fe. The inferior function is a weakness and a point of sensitivity. Many immature INTPs will reject a relationship if they feel the level of emotional connection has crossed the ‘safe line’. Anyways, INTP is pretty much the most common mistype for any introvert with an imagination and lack of prominent organization skills.

Just ignore the attachments (I don’t know how to delete them). You can find them at Te vs Ti, real life example of how they differ? - Page 4
page 4, last 2 posts.

Attachments

• 546C3B3F-96E0-4158-B7F2-F91BC9B398C2.jpg
    546C3B3F-96E0-4158-B7F2-F91BC9B398C2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 4A4E5AC5-F1AE-4FDA-B8BA-FB55F302AF81.jpg
    4A4E5AC5-F1AE-4FDA-B8BA-FB55F302AF81.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 110
  • B02E42A7-D1C5-4AA6-9364-B81D64368710.jpg
    B02E42A7-D1C5-4AA6-9364-B81D64368710.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 107

batora

I’d suggest you fill out a questionnaire. Typology Central has a questionnaire compilation thread.

Your info from this is can fit a whole lot of people. (The random info is all over the place) Also, out of curiosity, why did you continue to do the tests instead of switching to research if you got many previous inconsistent results?

Some tentative observations on the parts I did read:
  • The very fact that you have trouble narrowing down your options suggests a lack of Fi
  • You desiring emotional exchange and not just expressing yourself suggests Fe

Try doing a lot of research on individual functions and/or how they affect different types instead of reading just the overall profiles on each type. Some suggestions:

• Stress reactions
  • Function order (know that each function performs a role; the ordering is not just based off strongest to weakest)

Here are some sources I had enjoyed reading:

Note: INTPs (especially the young ones) can treat deep emotional connections like a hot potato due to inferior Fe. The inferior function is a weakness and a point of sensitivity. Many immature INTPs will reject a relationship if they feel the level of emotional connection has crossed the ‘safe line’. Anyways, INTP is pretty much the most common mistype for any introvert with an imagination and lack of prominent organization skills.

Just ignore the attachments (I don’t know how to delete them). You can find them at Te vs Ti, real life example of how they differ? - Page 4
page 4, last 2 posts.

I have done my own research as well as have the ability to skim down my type (not to a great extent, though) and I wrote that in the introduction of my OP. The issue is it doesn't give me many answers. Superficially reading descriptions of functions, I would often pick Ne, Si, Fi, and Te, and the typical order of these would lead me to be xNFP and xSTJ, particularly INFP and ISTJ. However, I'm certain my Si is not my foremost function let alone Fi, Te, and Ne. However to lesser extents I can identify with other functions as well. For example, I consider myself a well-controlled person, and while I normally would put the function Se as my last one, I could be repressing it as my self-control could be merely a reaction to control my impulses, which I admittedly can sense readily and I'm uncomfortable with them so I don't allow them to manifest. Fe is also another interesting function because most descriptions say these users, especially ones with it as the foremost function, are more inclined to being Samaritans/carrying and participating about social dogmas and institutions/general awareness of social environment and I can only identify with the latter most descriptor. I do not care about submerging myself into the social institutions except for maybe learning purposes, but I would never in my life identify with them. However, I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing to go along with them superficially. I believe an Fi user would feel less inclined to do this even if it was to save face as is not individualistic or true to themselves, but I do not feel that way either in this regard. I think such actions are necessary to get along with people to make life easier, but that's it. I do have a desire to connect with people and my environment to a moderate extent, but it is never to the point where I would have a desire to self-identify with the community. Ne is very descriptive of me, as well as my ISTJ mother. Change is quintessential to our well-being if we want to be healthy. I am, however, a lot more adventurous than she is when it comes to changing and trying things. I'm not entirely sure about Ni yet as well as Ti. In the example you gave on Page 4, I relate a lot more to Ti as that's my form of thinking, even though to most people I present the information in a Te-matter even though personally I think the understanding is very shallow, I know others will see it as legitimate more easily than an explanation describing it. So it depends.

I'll add a questionnaire to the OP.