• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Confused about my type

arth96

Hi!

As said in my introductory post, I've come here to finally know who I am. I've been really confused about myself for a long time, especially after my father died when I was 12. I'm not completely new to MBTI theory and before coming on this forum, I've tried many times to type myself. But sometimes I felt I was INFP, other times INFJ or again ISFP, ISFJ, INTP... And I really can't tell where I lie. I'm going to post a questionary which, I hope, will help to type me more easily.

1-what makes you angry?
Difficult question because I rarely get angry as I hate conflicting with people and I wouldn't want to hurt someone. But what makes me angry is when I'm not able to pursue my dreams and what I want and I get even angrier when people are involved. For example, at the end of my high school years, I had the sudden idea to go abroad when I got my school cert. I went to a first exchange agency for a program in Netherlands (I had only learnt Dutch and Spanish in high school) and sat a psychology evaluation exam and an interview. The agency called a few days later to tell me I could only do a summer program and not a full one-year program because I was too "shy" for them. I went simply ballistic. I told them they were just discrimatory against quiet people and that was a shame on them! So I just went to another agency. I didn't go to Netherlands at the end but to Ireland. Anyhow, it didn't matter much to me (even with my zero level in English at that time). All I wanted was to discover a new country.
2-what do you like/dislike most about people?
Like: They can be wonderful and have exciting personalities. I love learning new thing from people I meet.
Dislike: When they are irrespectful, narrow-minded, have views that are utterly contractitory to mines (even if I respect anyone's opinion as long as they don't impede on mines)
3-do you like animals? why?
I like them yeah (except maybe cats because they can be so bitchy ^^). In fact when I was a child, I had set up a conservation club where I tried to protect the environment and animals the best I could (like building niches for birds). I'm also an antispecist which means I'm against ranking species according to their alleged superiority. For me, a monkey is not inferior to a human, just different and all animals need to be protected.
4-what do you like most about the favorite people in your life?
They have supported me no matter how difficult I could be sometimes and they have just dazzling personalities! With them, I'm able to laugh a bit in life.
5-what do you like/dislike most about yourself?
Like: my kindness, my respect for people and other beings
Dislike: my terrible low self-esteem. I also wished I could be more outgoing.
6-do you care about being fashionable? why/why not?
Not particularly. My type of clothes is pretty casual. There's nothing special about them. I don't really care about appearance. In fact sometimes I don't even respect fashion codes. I could wear a shirt at college one day, then a t-shirt the other. Conversely I could wear a t-shirt one nightout and then a shirt the other. I just dress according to my mood.
7-do you prefer to fit in or stand out?
Stand out
8-what activities do you enjoy?
I like reading and watching stuff about anything like politics, social sciences, cultures, geography, travel, languages... I also like wandering around in cities and nature.
9-what makes you feel secure?
Being around my loved ones
10-do you like being in a relationship? why/why not?
I do but as I've already mentioned, I can be difficult at times. But the person I just love the person I am with at the moment. He's so kind, always taking care of me, very intelligent and open-minded.
11-what do you love and why? Could be people, things, places, etc...
Like I've already mentioned, I love a lot of things (when I feel at my best and not in a depressed moment). But the things I love the most are languages and culture. I just have a great passion for it. I wish I could learn one thousand languages. Currently, I can speak French (my mother tongue), English, German (just learning), Dutch (especially when I'm drunk ^^) and a bit of Italian and Spanish. I guess that's already a good thing but I wish I knew more!
12-what do you spend the most time thinking about?
About the past (prone to nostalgia, which made me think I had Si) but also about the future. I'm always wondering "what if I did that, what would that do?". I'm also thinking about what kind of man I could be later.
13-How much have you changed over the years? Who were you as a child?
Well I've changed a lot over the years. I had a kind of attractive personality, withdraws, recovering, draw-backs, recovering... As a child, I was quite witty, always curious about anything. But I was also always in the clouds. Yet I managed somehow to get high grades at school, which both surprised and marvelled my teacher. I had big dreams like any child I guess: I wanted to be astronaut, archeologue... Just something that could make me discover new things, that could make me travel. And despite having been withdrawn at time, I feel this one of the only feature that never left me.
Besides this, I was already quiet but I remember having had a good number of friends. I was liked by everyone for my sweetness and kindness. I was very close to the people in my class to the point I was afraid to skip class because I could see the smart skipping class. I didn't want to be treated as too smart by the teachers.
But then my father died and it changed everything. Entering high school, I went to a new school in the city, knowing nobody. Struggling with bereavement, I was unable to make friends and it became like a circle. As I was deemed too quiet and too "uninteresting", I quickly lost confidence and self-esteem. And well consequently, I was even less able to make friends. There were time where I felt very low but on the verge of suicide. But the thought of having at least my mum helped me to survive. After a while, I started to get my life back. Then after high school, as I said already, I went to Ireland. I went back having gained a bit more confidence about myself but I'm still very fragile.

So yeah I hope someone will be able to help me here! Looking forward for an answer

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't really care about appearance.

Can you be prone to not noticing wrinkles in clothing, stains, or anything like that? (It's not about whether or not you can notice them, but about your likelihood to miss such details.)

7-do you prefer to fit in or stand out?
Stand out

People from any type might stand out in some way.

Do you consider yourself someone who naturally prefers to adapt to people (Fe), or someone who prefers to self-differentiate from others (Fi)?

Bugs27

Hi arth96! I'm new here too >_<
you sound like an interesting person, and I hope you get your typing here soon!
I'm an mbti enthusiast who really got into this whole thing last year, and once I started trying to type people myself, I started noticing visual patterns in the people I typed... dunno if anyone else relates. Like Fe smiles are different than Fi smiles, Te tends to have this voice... Ne gives a very different vibe from Se etc. so I came across cognitivetype.com and their forums and I guess you could say they noticed the same things but gave it a more cohesive and definitive system... it's really cool.
Like they'll group people by the same energy, vibe, mannerisms (to an extent) and facial muscle contractions etc and assign them an mbti-esque name according to that, and tell you which function you seemed to have developed the most. I like it because it opens your eyes to the potential development in so many types, before I tended to istjs as these really rigid people and estps as just adrenaline junkies etc but now I see that when certain people develop their lower functions they can be mistaken for something else... and poor istjs and estps don't get the credit :(
anyway, it's a really cool theory, they just ask you to send in a video of yourself answering questions and stuff and they try to type based off of that... a lot of people new to the idea who submit videos get mad when the cognitivetype people see a different type in them than they previously typed themselves but since you haven't typed yourself yet I thought you'd be more open to the idea and have fun with this...
either way even if you don't agree with the theory completely it definitely opens you up to a lot about yourself that you wouldn't have figured out otherwise!

arth96

Can you be prone to not noticing wrinkles in clothing, stains, or anything like that? (It's not about whether or not you can notice them, but about your likelihood to miss such details.)

People from any type might stand out in some way.

Do you consider yourself someone who naturally prefers to adapt to people (Fe), or someone who prefers to self-differentiate from others (Fi)?

Thanks for your reply first of all! I'm definitely prone to not noticing such things. In fact, most of the time, I wear t-shirts that weren't even ironed. I'm like "it's fine" and I have really a bit this "no-care" attitude.

I consider myself more as some who likes to be "different". If someone tells me I'm pretty common, I feel a bit uneasy. In my opinion anyway, everyone is different even if they share the same interests and beliefs. There is always something that differentiates people (but at the same time brings them closer! if I'm understable). Anyway, I like to be myself. Even tho, when I was younger, I would want to adapt to people (but it really didn't work haha).

- - - Updated - - -

enfp 7w6 9w1 4w5

Really? What makes you think so?

arth96

Hi arth96! I'm new here too >_<
you sound like an interesting person, and I hope you get your typing here soon!
I'm an mbti enthusiast who really got into this whole thing last year, and once I started trying to type people myself, I started noticing visual patterns in the people I typed... dunno if anyone else relates. Like Fe smiles are different than Fi smiles, Te tends to have this voice... Ne gives a very different vibe from Se etc. so I came across cognitivetype.com and their forums and I guess you could say they noticed the same things but gave it a more cohesive and definitive system... it's really cool.
Like they'll group people by the same energy, vibe, mannerisms (to an extent) and facial muscle contractions etc and assign them an mbti-esque name according to that, and tell you which function you seemed to have developed the most. I like it because it opens your eyes to the potential development in so many types, before I tended to istjs as these really rigid people and estps as just adrenaline junkies etc but now I see that when certain people develop their lower functions they can be mistaken for something else... and poor istjs and estps don't get the credit :(
anyway, it's a really cool theory, they just ask you to send in a video of yourself answering questions and stuff and they try to type based off of that... a lot of people new to the idea who submit videos get mad when the cognitivetype people see a different type in them than they previously typed themselves but since you haven't typed yourself yet I thought you'd be more open to the idea and have fun with this...
either way even if you don't agree with the theory completely it definitely opens you up to a lot about yourself that you wouldn't have figured out otherwise!

Hey! Well welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks a lot, you do too! (just by the fact you're saying you find someone interesting)
So is cognitivepeople a forum where you can submit a video of yourself? Hmm I don't like videos that much. ^^ But it seems interesting. Yeah of course you can't agree completely with a theory because we all learn new things every day about psychology and personality. Otherwise if it's unchanged, it becomes like more than a dogma (even dogmas change in my opinion). I've heard a lot people saying "yeah well this theory isn't even right". I wouldn't go that far definitely. But yeah this forum seems cool!
Of course not all istjs are "rigid" and then like I've already said, everyone is different. And yeah it also depends on which function we lean more and other different reasons.
And so what's the difference between a Fe smile and a Fi smile? It could actually help me.

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thanks for your reply first of all! I'm definitely prone to not noticing such things. In fact, most of the time, I wear t-shirts that weren't even ironed. I'm like "it's fine" and I have really a bit this "no-care" attitude.

I'm pretty sure you're an Intuitive.

I consider myself more as some who likes to be "different". If someone tells me I'm pretty common, I feel a bit uneasy. In my opinion anyway, everyone is different even if they share the same interests and beliefs. There is always something that differentiates people (but at the same time brings them closer! if I'm understable). Anyway, I like to be myself. Even tho, when I was younger, I would want to adapt to people (but it really didn't work haha).

I think you might prefer the Te-Fi axis.

Most of the time, do you sense your ideas as going in multiple directions (Ne), or as a centralized geyser (Ni)?

Bugs27

Hey! Well welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks a lot, you do too! (just by the fact you're saying you find someone interesting)
So is cognitivepeople a forum where you can submit a video of yourself? Hmm I don't like videos that much. ^^ But it seems interesting. Yeah of course you can't agree completely with a theory because we all learn new things every day about psychology and personality. Otherwise if it's unchanged, it becomes like more than a dogma (even dogmas change in my opinion). I've heard a lot people saying "yeah well this theory isn't even right". I wouldn't go that far definitely. But yeah this forum seems cool!
Of course not all istjs are "rigid" and then like I've already said, everyone is different. And yeah it also depends on which function we lean more and other different reasons.
And so what's the difference between a Fe smile and a Fi smile? It could actually help me.

Thanks!
Omg I totally relate to being uncomfortable about sending a video in... so I've basically just been reading the website and hanging out on the forums, learning and soaking things up as I go. It definitely helps in typing other people and noticing behaviors that I hadn't before... like once you get an idea of how to type visually (combining visual typing with the persons behavior) you can't unsee the things you start to see!
So yeah I haven't sent a video in either, but still have learned things about myself from before... and maybe one day I'll private message one of the more experienced members (that I'm comfortable with) my video so that I dont have to worry about privacy.
Here's a little info on Fe vs Fi visually: Fi vs Fe Subtle Differences | Cognitive Types
but you can find more on the celeb listings and type listings on the website. Most clear is the video on INFP (FiNe) ( Aurora Aksnes (Analysis) – Cognitive Type )
FiNe | Edamin – Cognitive Type
Have fun!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP, probably 9w1.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so

- - - Updated - - -

Really? What makes you think so?
tritype is not in order, secondly, you seem very curious in learning the supernatural and yu think of the past a lot.
you seem like a gentle, but eccentric soul

arth96

Thanks!
Omg I totally relate to being uncomfortable about sending a video in... so I've basically just been reading the website and hanging out on the forums, learning and soaking things up as I go. It definitely helps in typing other people and noticing behaviors that I hadn't before... like once you get an idea of how to type visually (combining visual typing with the persons behavior) you can't unsee the things you start to see!
So yeah I haven't sent a video in either, but still have learned things about myself from before... and maybe one day I'll private message one of the more experienced members (that I'm comfortable with) my video so that I dont have to worry about privacy.
Here's a little info on Fe vs Fi visually: Fi vs Fe Subtle Differences | Cognitive Types
but you can find more on the celeb listings and type listings on the website. Most clear is the video on INFP (FiNe) ( Aurora Aksnes (Analysis) – Cognitive Type )
FiNe | Edamin – Cognitive Type
Have fun!

Yeah it's a bit stressful to post a video of yourself to people you don't know. ^^ Yeah once you're more aware of people's mimics and all, you start noticing them all the time. I've starting having a look on the forum as well. I was a bit confused actually at first because I have never come across this way of typing. But I think it can help!
I've also looked up for Fe vs Fi smiles. If I understood well, Fi smiles are more tense in the cheeks. I relate to this as I've been told I had some kind of funny face!
(and btw I love Aurora! :D )

arth96

INFP, probably 9w1.

INFP? Hmm I was actually thinking about that at first as I've said I think. But I've looked at the differences between ENFP and INFP. Then as I can be stressed (actually I'm quite a nervous person), I've looked at the inferior functions. They are used when under stress so I felt it might be easier to differentiate. When I feel tired of everything, stressed, I don't really behave as a bossy person. I just feel down like I have lost my optimism. That's actually when I think about the past the most. I've also read that ENFPs could be hypcondriac and well I've had a long period where I was pretty hypocondriac.

arth96

tritype is not in order, secondly, you seem very curious in learning the supernatural and yu think of the past a lot.
you seem like a gentle, but eccentric soul

Thanks! :) I've been told I was quite particular indeed.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP? Hmm I was actually thinking about that at first as I've said I think. But I've looked at the differences between ENFP and INFP. Then as I can be stressed (actually I'm quite a nervous person), I've looked at the inferior functions. They are used when under stress so I felt it might be easier to differentiate. When I feel tired of everything, stressed, I don't really behave as a bossy person. I just feel down like I have lost my optimism. That's actually when I think about the past the most. I've also read that ENFPs could be hypcondriac and well I've had a long period where I was pretty hypocondriac.

https://www.opp.com/tools/mbti/mbti-personality-types/infp
"INFPs under stress
An INFP will typically become stressed in the situations shown in this MBTI type head illustration. In these circumstances you will tend to become cynical, depressed, aggressive and prone to acute self-doubt."
INFP.jpg

In the past here I have identified nostalgic thinking as the INFP's Si-tertiary behavior. Other INFPs agreed with me.

'12-what do you spend the most time thinking about?
About the past (prone to nostalgia, which made me think I had Si) but also about the future. I'm always wondering "what if I did that, what would that do?". I'm also thinking about what kind of man I could be later.'

One of us! One of us! INFP that is. Welcome to the club! We don't meet regularly, we don't pay dues, and we don't have a club symbol or mascot because those things would restrict us in a straight jacket of self imposed conformity. I don't look forward to not seeing you at the next non-meeting! :newwink:

Seriously that's just like my opinion man.

Bugs27

Yeah it's a bit stressful to post a video of yourself to people you don't know. ^^ Yeah once you're more aware of people's mimics and all, you start noticing them all the time. I've starting having a look on the forum as well. I was a bit confused actually at first because I have never come across this way of typing. But I think it can help!
I've also looked up for Fe vs Fi smiles. If I understood well, Fi smiles are more tense in the cheeks. I relate to this as I've been told I had some kind of funny face!
(and btw I love Aurora! :D )

Yup! You've got it right. Another clue to Fi is seeing assymetrical movements of the mouth, especially when talking about matters that "ping" the emotional register. An explanation in a few of the posts by user Erifrail on this page: My understanding of Fi | Cognitive Types
Fi also comes hand in hand with Te, and if Te is developed in the psyche there will be a bit of snippiness or sass as well 😁
I'm still not so sure about detecting Ne vs Se sometimes, so I usually look to other indicators from the persons way of talking and viewing the world and their personality in general to pinpoint that part. Hopefully I get good at figuring it out visually too!

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could be wrong, but I do at least see a prominence of Fi in you. I do also think you're introverted. So INFP could work.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I could be wrong, but I do at least see a prominence of Fi in you. I do also think you're introverted. So INFP could work.

I see a prominence too. But what do you think about the enneagram type?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see a prominence too. But what do you think about the enneagram type?

I'm split between 4, 5, and 8. I'm not the most well read on e types though, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Am I the only one who sees xxFJ? I think e9 is probably right.
He talks about himself in relation to other things...there isn't much talk of an inner world of feeling. I don't see Fi...