• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I a core 1 or 4?

PurpleDawn

-----------AT THIS POINT JUST IGNORE THIS OP-----------

Just opening myself up to some opinions again.

So here's my issue: My core enneagram type is either 1 or 4 no doubt, and both are surely in my tritype. However I have a hard time determining which is more prominent.

Side Note: My tritype is either 417, 147, 415, or 145

Anyway, here are the traits I believe myself to have of both:

Type 1 - Not sure on wing
• EXTREMELY Perfectionistic view of people and the world
• Strong sense of what is right, wrong and what is perfection
• I feel my decisions come more from the gut than the heart
• I'm obsessed with getting others to follow my morals or honestly believe what I find to be “true”
• VERY bothered by certain stereotypes and become very resentful and try to push for a change when they are applied to something I believe in, or a group I belong to (A great example of this is actually with the MBTI. I’m an ENFP, and I’m very against substance abuse, slutty behavior or sexual promiscuity, partying, being overly bubbly or being a tease etc. So when I see any of these traits applied to ENFPs in the slightest, I become filled with anger and become OBSESSED with changing people’s views. I also despise mistypes as I feel it “muddies the water” per se. Like if someone thinks someone who’s actually ESFJ is ENFP, I feel that it will give the wrong idea, therefore beginning more untrue stereotypes.
• When unhealthy, I seem to follow the Disintegration of a one, as I start acting and thinking MUCH more 4ish than usual, although I am pretty 4ish regularly. And when more healthy, I act more adventurous and enthusiastic than normal like a 7.
• Extremely strong morals that don't shake.
• I am driven and dedicated, I often feel like the protagonist or crusader of some sort of reconstruction.
• I feel like (and act like) a lone wolf in life, like the protagonist of my own individual purpose. (This could be both I think)

Type 4 - 5 wing, I'm probably not the 3 wing
• Since I was young I’ve always felt a lot different from everyone around me, I never really fit in anywhere and am kind of nomadic
• In the majority of instances, I'm a complete lone wolf in mind, body, and spirit, and the very definition of a loner
• Not big on tradition
• I’m extremely independent, go my own way on most everything, and have a disdain for not being allowed to be my own man
• I’m consistently melancholic
• I don’t show it, but I’m admittedly quite romantic within myself
• I’m very idealistic about people and the world (1 and 4 share this though)
• I see beauty in a lot of things, but I'm not too art oriented

Leave any questions below

Last edited:

PurpleDawn

Here are my results on the eclecticenergies.com test, although I don't find it too accurate -

You are most likely a type 5 (the Investigator) with 4 wing

Sexual variant

Type 5 SX
Type 4 SP
Type 1 SP
Type 8 SP
Type 3 SX
Type 6 SP
Type 7 SP
Type 9 SX
Type 2 SP

á´…eparted

passages
Hi, one of the resident 1's around these parts.

Based on this, it sounds like you want to be a 1, more than anything. Not discounting it as possible, but I do need to point out that being an ENFP 1 is extrordinarly rare. If you're a 1, I'd definitely re-think what your MBTI type is, and consider other options as ENFP is likely to be wrong. Further, what you describe here doesn't sound particularly typical of Ne/Fi. It sounds very very Fe-oriented.

It's also important to know that having strong morals on moral issues (such as the ones you cited) are not a qualifier for being a 1. I get the feel where you have declared "this is how I am going to carve out my identity and be like this!" which is very 4 esque. You sound more like an outwardly focused 4 who has chosen that being moral is your identity. You seem so attached to this image of being a moral crusader that it seems too intense to be what 1 stuff is about.

Being a 1 is more... wholesome? I am a 1, and my perfectionism doesn't have this lazer focus that you seem to have on specific things. For me it's pervasive and for the most part hidden. Yes, I am pretty moralistic and have very clear senses of right and wrong, but I don't want to project that (unless projecting that serves an outward purpose). 1's have a lot of restraint associated with them. As a 1, I am actually pretty low on the restraint spectrum, but yours seems much much less to a point of not seeming like it's there. Ultimately, I just want to be a good person. You seem much more focused on being a specific thing.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. My vote is for 4, I don't really see 1 for you.

@EJCC thoughts? There are also lots of 4's around here and hopefully one of them has some insight as well.

PurpleDawn

Hi, one of the resident 1's around these parts.

Based on this, it sounds like you want to be a 1, more than anything. Not discounting it as possible, but I do need to point out that being an ENFP 1 is extrordinarly rare. If you're a 1, I'd definitely re-think what your MBTI type is, and consider other options as ENFP is likely to be wrong. Further, what you describe here doesn't sound particularly typical of Ne/Fi. It sounds very very Fe-oriented.

It's also important to know that having strong morals on moral issues (such as the ones you cited) are not a qualifier for being a 1. I get the feel where you have declared "this is how I am going to carve out my identity and be like this!" which is very 4 esque. You sound more like an outwardly focused 4 who has chosen that being moral is your identity. You seem so attached to this image of being a moral crusader that it seems too intense to be what 1 stuff is about.

Being a 1 is more... wholesome? I am a 1, and my perfectionism doesn't have this lazer focus that you seem to have on specific things. For me it's pervasive and for the most part hidden. Yes, I am pretty moralistic and have very clear senses of right and wrong, but I don't want to project that (unless projecting that serves an outward purpose). 1's have a lot of restraint associated with them. As a 1, I am actually pretty low on the restraint spectrum, but yours seems much much less to a point of not seeming like it's there. Ultimately, I just want to be a good person. You seem much more focused on being a specific thing.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. My vote is for 4, I don't really see 1 for you.

@EJCC thoughts? There are also lots of 4's around here and hopefully one of them has some insight as well.

Thanks for the response, yes I am more likely a 4 thank you for your insight. I do have one question though. What about what is written here seems Fe?

PurpleDawn

[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] I should also mention that ENFP is most definitely my mbti type. Albeit a melancholic, lone wolf version of one that looks a lot like an INTJ.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'd also go for a four based on what you wrote.
I must say I had troubles finding out my type too because ENFP 1 is something I have never seen anywhere, so when I got that test result, telling me I'm a E1 I thought "How likely can that be? Let's double-check this to make sure I got it right..."
For me, my four is strong but I do resonate with 1 slightly more. One way that can help determine your type is also by checking your core-fear. Mine doesn't align with the fours fear of not knowing who I am but I fear very strongly of somehow being evil/vindictive/, etc. Just thought I'd leave my two cents here.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I don't think this information is enough to type you. It's really not all that easy to type based on behavior.

What makes you insecure? What are you afraid of? You may have to dig deep for some time before finding your real fears.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see any indication of being a 4... Everything you attribute to 4 occurs in many types for different reasons. There is no mention of longing, envy, focus on what is missing (in the sense of aesthetics or meaning), feeling alienated and defective, suffering, longing for a savior/connection, etc. Those common themes pop up right away for 4s when discussing themselves.

4s also disintegrate to 2, and you don't mention anything about that. You also don't mention 4 strengths, such as tendencies to be deeply empathetic, spiritual, creative, have a unique flair, imaginative, etc. Sure, those don't solely belong to 4s, but neither does moral integrity solely belong to healthy 1s. What's notable is what you identity with.

Your description focuses on being perfect and concepts of right/wrong. Internally you relate to some 4 stuff on the surface, mostly low-average 4 stuff, which perhaps does indicate its a disintegration point (or just stuff lots of people can relate to).

You stated zero 4 motivations, yet touched directly on the 1 motivation. If not a 1, then I doubt you are a 4. I'd actually suggest checking out type 6, as it could possibly everything you mentioned, depending on the subtype.

PurpleDawn

I don't see any indication of being a 4... Everything you attribute to 4 occurs in many types for different reasons. There is no mention of longing, envy, focus on what is missing (in the sense of aesthetics or meaning), feeling alienated and defective, suffering, longing for a savior/connection, etc. Those common themes pop up right away for 4s when discussing themselves.

4s also disintegrate to 2, and you don't mention anything about that. You also don't mention 4 strengths, such as tendencies to be deeply empathetic, spiritual, creative, have a unique flair, imaginative, etc. Sure, those don't solely belong to 4s, but neither does moral integrity solely belong to healthy 1s. What's notable is what you identity with.

Your description focuses on being perfect and concepts of right/wrong. Internally you relate to some 4 stuff on the surface, mostly low-average 4 stuff, which perhaps does indicate its a disintegration point (or just stuff lots of people can relate to).

You stated zero 4 motivations, yet touched directly on the 1 motivation. If not a 1, then I doubt you are a 4. I'd actually suggest checking out type 6, as it could possibly everything you mentioned, depending on the subtype.

Honestly you'd probably have to talk actually to me to get a close interpretation of me, I spout too much bullshit of what I idealize myself and others to be in writing. I wasn't exactly correctly or in depth describing myself, I was more using a fuck ton of 1 traits as a defence mechanism because I feel attacked by a lot right now both online and in real life. To be honest I wish I could just restart on here, I've given way to many wrong impressions for anyone to ever know the true me. All I can say is I can STRONGLY relate to Longing, feeling alienated, and suffering. I also work pretty well with longing for a savior or connection, although that has yet to really happen cuz I don't connect with many people on a deep level considering I live in a sort of low class area with a lot of overly extroverted fake ass people. I do long for it though....quite a bit actually. The one thing I cant relate to much with for is the disintegration of 2, although its possible I just don't have enough people close to me to even act like one. Thinking on it further I might just be a 4w3 considering I constantly try to cover things up and chase after idealized images. If it's possible, I'm a very unhealthy 4 who never went to 2.

PurpleDawn

Come to think of it knowing I am a 4 and being told I'm not is strangely very upsetting. No offense that is.

á´…eparted

passages

I hadn't considered any other types other than 4 or 1, but after hearing this I'd offer 6 as a possibility as well; it makes a lot of sense given the strong declarative nature of the OP.

HisKittyKat

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
4w5
I ask myself the same question. I am either a 4w5 1w9 6w7.....or 1w9 4w5 6w7. I'm getting closer figuring it out. I read a lot of material about both 1 and 4, I'm pretty sure my first instinct is correct.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
imo the best way for others to find your your type is to go on discord, and have other people interact with you and then listen to what they think you are.

PurpleDawn

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] 6 is very likely my dominant head type, but as much as I resonate with the true meaning of it, it's not my core. For now I'm kind of just settling on 4 with a 6, 8 tritype. Thinking deeper into it, it's unlikely I'm a 1, although it may still be in my tritype. I was unaware that 4s sometimes focus on a few things and focus and idealize them to such extremes. The perfectionism of a 4 fits me scarily well, and the description of a 6 fits my defense mechanism to my identity rather well. This description - Type 4 Enneagram Type Description |9types.com also rings way too true not to be me. Looking into the base fears, and without any idealization or self image interference or whatever, I'm now pretty dead set on 4w5 > 8w7 and 6w5 in some order. The OP seems to be my 6 side coming out to be assertive and defend my true problems which I hardly mentioned (which mainly resonate with the alienation and longing of a 4), but at my core, how I am and have felt the majority of the time in my life since I was young, I'd say I'm a 4.

PurpleDawn

I don't think this information is enough to type you. It's really not all that easy to type based on behavior.

What makes you insecure? What are you afraid of? You may have to dig deep for some time before finding your real fears.

#1 Being labeled as things common, mainstream, or not part of my personal identity, therefore making me feel like i have no significance. If I feel my self image has been ruined or that there's a flaw I tend to either try to disconnect from it and fail or obsessively try to fix it and end up falling apart over it. Honestly I resonate a lot with the motivation of "withdraw to protect their self-image" I also have a looooong thing I wrote up a while ago as to how I resonate so much with 4, but I don't feel the need to post that here yet. (all which I attribute to 4)

#2 Being mind controlled or part of a hive mind (which I attribute to 6, but I could be wrong)

I relate most to the core fears of 4 and 8, and although I don't resonate with the core fear of a 6, but I feel the type is a bit misinterpreted.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All that you mentioned seems pretty 4ish for me, I have e1 in second order of my tritype and I believe [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] described it very well, I want to be sure that I'm on the right side of things and not wrong, I want to improve things to the better but in a general sense, my opinion on specific things comes from a place of morality not from a place that I feel the need to change it so if would fit a certain frame that suits my perception..

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
There are a lot of fellow "philosopher" tritypes in this thread. I find it to be an interesting tritype because of the crossover of characteristics into each fix; the lines can seem a bit muddied and sometimes (for me at least) it's a bit difficult to differentiate between which type is motivating me in a given moment, particularly the reactive moments (sx 1 can be a bit reactive, just like 4 and 6).

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't find that any of the information in the OP rules out either type.