• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need some insight to determine type once and for all.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
When I answer the questions in the tests I get a type yet when I read the description..something is always off. Both for the ISFP and the INFP, there's just something wrong there, especially when I read the "personal growth" part.I read the infj description and the "personal growth", (I read that part especially for some reason)it rang slightly more true than the INFP and ISFP descriptions mostly because of the "grudge"(this is something I'm known for), blaming others(well that part is in all 3 description), being wishy-washy and having a hard time making decisions because of the "seeing all the tangents". I'd like to know from any of these three types what is the main difference between ISFP,INFP and INFJ. I'm having a hard time choosing between these three types because I can relate fairly well to all of these three in that order:
INFP-INFJ(tied)
ISFP
Can anyone point out the major or minor differences?

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Ah, out of the two infp fits more than isfp I guess. Now it's just a matter of inf p or j. :) thx for that link, hadn't read the isfp description in there before.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think functions might give some insight.
INFP: Fi - Ne - Si - Te
INFJ: Ni - Fe - Ti - Se
ISFP: Fi - Se - Ni - Te

I don't think you're INFJ. Since Fi isn't really even listed in the INFJ line up. (Based on my knowledge of you and some assumptions I think you relate most to Fi. Could be wrong.)

If you look at INFP and ISFP they are pretty close. I think the main question is, wither you're a sensor or a intuitive. Concrete, abstract.

I think it's also important to note that people usually show their inferior functions more so when they are stressed. So that could definitely screw some results up. For example, when I'm really stressed I sometimes get ISTJ. This also raises the question of not only Si and Ni (depending on INFP or ISFP) but also I remember where you were once questioning F vs T (INXP). Most certainly your Te would be acting up if your levels of stress are higher than usual, thus resulting in high T scores.

If you really do relate most to Fi, then I think you can ignore INFJ. And if you define Fi as your dominate then the question of secondary comes in, Ne or Se? Which comes again to the question of sensor or intuitive.

Here's some definition,
Se:
Extroverted Sensors love experiencing the physical world in an active, engaged way. They have an enviable natural sensualness and comfortableness with their bodies and all things physical. They are aware of and appreciate the rich detail of the sensory world, and can become totally absorbed in taking in sensory data - sounds, smells, images, textures, and tastes until exhausted or distractd. Yet, somehow, they can pick out the relevant details from the flood of information coming in, and act on them. They will know the names of the restaurants, the stats on all the football players - for them, life itself is a game of Trivial Pursuit™

Extroverted Sensors live in the present tense - or rather the immediate tense. They seek to gain as much pleasure as possible from this very moment. Because they are so immediate tense and can move easily from one focus to another, they can leave others with the impression they are hyperactive or unfocused. Rather than being energized by observing the external world, they are energized by participating in it. They are agile and graceful, and often athletic. Unlike their talkative counterparts, these Extroverts use physical action as their way of expressing themselves.

Se is about achieving an object of desire. It gives one the ability to influence, bend, and push situations and people in order to achieve such an object, rather than to enjoy the situation one is in.

Ne:
Extroverted iNtuitives live in the world of ideas and possibilities. They see where the world, and the people in it, could be more easily than where they currently are. Like the magician pulling a rabbit from the hat, the Extroverted iNtuitives can see patterns, options and possibilities that seem to come from nowhere. They thrive on variety and change, and throw themselves into their projects and ideas whole-heartedly, even the ones that seem impossible to achieve. They are change agents and "Pied Pipers", with an almost contagious enthusiasm that inspires others to follow where they lead, including fellow leaders. Ingenious, innovative, boundary-breakers who challenge - and sometimes even trample -- the status quo to move everyone toward a better future.

Extroverted iNtuitives are very expressive and communicative. They love the world of words, are the masters of metaphors, analogies, and word play. They always have a story to tell, and often use their stories to help motivate others. They can integrate many different ideas into a whole, and are good with generating new theories and brainstorming.

Ne is generally associated with the ability to recognize possibilities, create new opportunities and new beginnings, recognize talent and natural propensities in others, reconcile differing perspectives and viewpoints, rapidly generate ideas, and be led by one's intellectual curiosity and stimulate curiosity in others.

So I guess it's up to you to decide.

In the end I think you're an INFP who is trying to find herself and dealing with stresses of life while doing that. Letters only represent personality though, it's trying to name the nameless, MBTI is never 100% accurate. The letters don't matter, it's the personality, that matters.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
I think functions might give some insight.
INFP: Fi - Ne - Si - Te
INFJ: Ni - Fe - Ti - Se
ISFP: Fi - Se - Ni - Te

I don't think you're INFJ. Since Fi isn't really even listed in the INFJ line up. (Based on my knowledge of you and some assumptions I think you relate most to Fi. Could be wrong.)

If you look at INFP and ISFP they are pretty close. I think the main question is, wither you're a sensor or a intuitive. Concrete, abstract.

I think it's also important to note that people usually show their inferior functions more so when they are stressed. So that could definitely screw some results up. For example, when I'm really stressed I sometimes get ISTJ. This also raises the question of not only Si and Ni (depending on INFP or ISFP) but also I remember where you were once questioning F vs T (INXP). Most certainly your Te would be acting up if your levels of stress are higher than usual, thus resulting in high T scores.

If you really do relate most to Fi, then I think you can ignore INFJ. And if you define Fi as your dominate then the question of secondary comes in, Ne or Se? Which comes again to the question of sensor or intuitive.

Here's some definition,
Se:
Extroverted Sensors love experiencing the physical world in an active, engaged way. They have an enviable natural sensualness and comfortableness with their bodies and all things physical. They are aware of and appreciate the rich detail of the sensory world, and can become totally absorbed in taking in sensory data - sounds, smells, images, textures, and tastes until exhausted or distractd. Yet, somehow, they can pick out the relevant details from the flood of information coming in, and act on them. They will know the names of the restaurants, the stats on all the football players - for them, life itself is a game of Trivial Pursuit™

Extroverted Sensors live in the present tense - or rather the immediate tense. They seek to gain as much pleasure as possible from this very moment. Because they are so immediate tense and can move easily from one focus to another, they can leave others with the impression they are hyperactive or unfocused. Rather than being energized by observing the external world, they are energized by participating in it. They are agile and graceful, and often athletic. Unlike their talkative counterparts, these Extroverts use physical action as their way of expressing themselves.

Se is about achieving an object of desire. It gives one the ability to influence, bend, and push situations and people in order to achieve such an object, rather than to enjoy the situation one is in.

Ne:
Extroverted iNtuitives live in the world of ideas and possibilities. They see where the world, and the people in it, could be more easily than where they currently are. Like the magician pulling a rabbit from the hat, the Extroverted iNtuitives can see patterns, options and possibilities that seem to come from nowhere. They thrive on variety and change, and throw themselves into their projects and ideas whole-heartedly, even the ones that seem impossible to achieve. They are change agents and "Pied Pipers", with an almost contagious enthusiasm that inspires others to follow where they lead, including fellow leaders. Ingenious, innovative, boundary-breakers who challenge - and sometimes even trample -- the status quo to move everyone toward a better future.

Extroverted iNtuitives are very expressive and communicative. They love the world of words, are the masters of metaphors, analogies, and word play. They always have a story to tell, and often use their stories to help motivate others. They can integrate many different ideas into a whole, and are good with generating new theories and brainstorming.

Ne is generally associated with the ability to recognize possibilities, create new opportunities and new beginnings, recognize talent and natural propensities in others, reconcile differing perspectives and viewpoints, rapidly generate ideas, and be led by one's intellectual curiosity and stimulate curiosity in others.

So I guess it's up to you to decide.

In the end I think you're an INFP who is trying to find herself and dealing with stresses of life while doing that. Letters only represent personality though, it's trying to name the nameless, MBTI is never 100% accurate. The letters don't matter, it's the personality, that matters.

Ne, I'd say. Actually, I agree with you in some way, letters are just letters. I feel like the infj description fits me more, I've asked a few family members who have agreed. My mother told me that I was actually more organized before I started having all these problems...She's right.:cry: But thank you very much for the s and n description, this clears any doubts in my mind.:D I just wanted to pinpoint exactly what made me question being infp was when I read this in the infj description:
http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html:

-"constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives","They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand. They are usually right(ahem let's not get carried away:) I believe i'm right at the moment but it's not always the case.), and they usually know it. Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions".

-"INFJs are concerned for people's feelings, and try to be gentle to avoid hurting anyone. They are very sensitive to conflict, and cannot tolerate it very well. Situations which are charged with conflict may drive the normally peaceful INFJ into a state of agitation or charged anger. They may tend to internalize conflict into their bodies, and experience health problems when under a lot of stress.(I have a few stories on that one)

-"This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions. They believe that they're right. On the other hand, INFJ is a perfectionist who doubts that they are living up to their full potential. INFJs are rarely at complete peace with themselves - there's always something else they should be doing to improve themselves and the world around them. They believe in constant growth, and don't often take time to revel in their accomplishments. They have strong value systems, and need to live their lives in accordance with what they feel is right. In deference to the Feeling aspect of their personalities, INFJs are in some ways gentle and easy going.

-INFJ is a natural nurturer; patient, devoted and protective(I've been told I mother people who are close to me and am overprotective quite often by these same people.)

* May be unaware (and sometimes uncaring) of how they come across to others
* May quickly dismiss input from others without really considering it
* May apply their judgment more often towards others, rather than towards themselves
* With their ability to see an issue from many sides, they may always find others at fault for any problems in their lives(oops..)
* May have unrealistic and/or unreasonable expectations of others
* May be intolerant of weaknesses in others
* May believe that they're always right(boy do I piss people when I do that :D)
* May be obsessive and passionate about details that may be unimportant to the big picture
* May be cuttingly derisive and sarcastic towards others
* May have an intense and quick temper(not quick, nope)
* May be tense, wound up, have high blood pressure and find it difficult to relax
* May hold grudges, and have difficulty forgiving people(this is my number one flaw, very unforgiving)
* May be wishy-washy and unsure how to act in situations that require quick decision making

* May have difficulty communicating their thoughts and feelings to others
* May see so many tangents everywhere that they can't stay focused on the bottom line or the big picture
These are the things that made me question being an infp.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Understandable. INTJs and INTPs always get caught up in each other and get typed the wrong way. INFJs and INFPs do also. I'm tempted to say that the lines are even blurrier between INFJ and INFP because feeling is much less defined and much harder to make visible than thinking.

INFJ and INFP have a lot in common, people and values (morals) are the foremost.

I think there are key traits in each type that distinguishes them from one another. I think it's important to decide INFP or INFJ based on those key traits and then accept that many of the secondary traits will be shared, not only because your personality may be borderline, but more so that the two types are very close themselves.

In my researching I was reading the wiki about the Idealist temperament. I read one thing that really stuck out to me.
The greatest strength of idealists is diplomatic integration. Their best developed intelligence role is either mentoring (Counselors and Teachers) or advocating (Healers and Champions).

With INFJs being the Counselors and INFPs being the Healers, perhaps figuring out if you are a mentor or a advocator would help?

I can witness that yes, INFJs tend to be mentors, with my mom (INFJ) she does act like a mentor towards me.

Here's a great site,
INFJ or INFP? a closer look

Hah, in her "A Simple Truth" she says:
"If you've devoted time to investigating INFJ & INFP and you can't really tell what the difference is, or you just can't make up your mind which one you are and keep waffling back and forth -- the simple truth is that your preferences are probably for INFP."

Hey, maybe it is that simple! :D

From what that lady says, even trained professionals have a hard time pointing out major differences between the two types, so you're not alone.

Perhaps even read the relationship parts of INFJ and INFP and try to figure out which way approach relationships?

I'll just hit at some of the points you made to close:
Constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives.
Yes but their values generally stay the same, for both types.

They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand.
That's Ni, and somewhat Ne also. Makes sense that you would get this confused because Ne is the secondary of INFP and Ni is the primary of INFJ. Does the above statement, dominate you though? Does intuition drive you?

Consequently, INFJs put a tremendous amount of faith into their instincts and intuitions.
This is saying, intuition is what drives them, Ni, it's what they trust most in. But if you trust most in your feelings...

INFJs are concerned for people's feelings, and try to be gentle to avoid hurting anyone. They are very sensitive to conflict, and cannot tolerate it very well. Situations which are charged with conflict may drive the normally peaceful INFJ into a state of agitation or charged anger. They may tend to internalize conflict into their bodies, and experience health problems when under a lot of stress.
I think that applies to both INFP and INFJ to be honest.

This may result in an INFJ stubborness and tendency to ignore other people's opinions. They believe that they're right. On the other hand, INFJ is a perfectionist who doubts that they are living up to their full potential. INFJs are rarely at complete peace with themselves - there's always something else they should be doing to improve themselves and the world around them. They believe in constant growth, and don't often take time to revel in their accomplishments. They have strong value systems, and need to live their lives in accordance with what they feel is right. In deference to the Feeling aspect of their personalities, INFJs are in some ways gentle and easy going.
I suspect again this is a trait of both.

In the end, I think it's important to not look at characteristics that deal with introversion, intuition, or feelings when trying to decide INFJ or INFP. Try to find the issues and traits that deal with judging and perceiving.

Hope I'm helping! :D:hug:

G

Glycerine

hey here are some links.

INFJ or INFP? a closer look- Communication Styles
INFJ or INFP? a closer look- Self-disclosure
INFJ or INFP? a closer look- Interaction Styles
I've noticed the the major difference between me and the INFPs is that they tend to be more calm and easygoing vs. my intensity. Also, INFJs can seem like extraverts because of their need to bounce ideas off of other people. Both types are concerned about other people's feelings but moreso for the INFJ because of Fe. One other thing is that both types can look very disorganized and unstructured but the INFJ needs closure while it's not that crucial for the INFP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Some of the descriptions of the INFJ on the INFJ or INFP? website makes them almost seem Extraverted. I would think that all Introverts would consider a lot of information too personal to talk about with strangers.

G

Glycerine

Some of the descriptions of the INFJ on the INFJ or INFP? website makes them almost seem Extraverted. I would think that all Introverts would consider a lot of information too personal to talk about with strangers.

well, I can act very extraverted at times but I know I'm introverted. It's all about where you get your energy from. There can be reserved extraverts (for example, the ENFJ) and talkative introverts (For example, the INFJ).

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Well considering the pages you guys gave me I would "score" as INFJ in communication and self-disclosure but INFP in interaction...
This is very annoying actually. I'll just keep looking for more information.

heart

heart on fire
It should be pretty easy to come to a decison about whether you use Fi or Fe. That's where I would focus the decision on.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
heart's got a point.

Fe:
Extraverted Feeling function allows a person to adjust their behavior to the needs of others. Is it the ability to relate and the desire to connect with others with warmth and consideration. It draws others out and responds to expressed or unexpressed needs.

considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others.

Extraverted Feeling

Fi:
Introverted Feeling function allows a person to know what they value. It is the ability to see through others and know what they are really like as if they had an internal radar. When it identifies a person with similar values there is a desire to connect.

considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

Introverted Feeling

And,
INFP
INFJ

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh ok, the thing is I am practically clueless on the functions Ti,Ne and what etc...
they're more precise than a random "P letter... I think I'll go with the Fe.

G

Glycerine

Oh ok, the thing is I am practically clueless on the functions Ti,Ne and what etc...
they're more precise than a random "P letter... I think I'll go with the Fe.

These profiles don't fit most people to a t...everyone is on a continuum. It's about what fits you best. So from what you have told us... your preferences tend to be more toward INFJ. If you're an introvert and Fe is one of your main functions, you're most likely not an ISFP or INFP because they primarily use Fi. The only other choice could possibly be ISFJ but from what you said it's highly unlikely.

I hope that helps!

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, what does...your preference lean toward infj mean? Sorry english isn't my first language and even though it doesn't seem like it there are times where I am at loss when someone is speaking to me :).

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
You tend to "lean" towards INFJ more so than INFP.
Like, a scale with different weights on each side.

"Your attributes seem to relate more to INFJ."
Is another way to say it.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
You tend to "lean" towards INFJ more so than INFP.
Like, a scale with different weights on each side.

"Your attributes seem to relate more to INFJ."
Is another way to say it.

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Well, I finally reached a conclusion, INFJ it is.
Thanks to heart, mondo and digital method and IDK123 for the help.