• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gimme an Enneagram!

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
0. What's making you unsure of your type? What research have you already done to determine type?

Well, I typed as 6 for a long time, but pretty much 90% of my encounters with 6s just showed me how unlike them I was. I don't have "trust issues" like they're supposed to, I just feel the need to attach myself to certain things. And at this point, I'm starting to wonder if that's most enneagram types and if that need is rooted deeply enough in me to make it count.

1. Establish a "baseline mood"--when you're at home with nothing to do, where are you at mentally and emotionally? What do you notice in yourself? (Note, this is not a mood you inhabit "frequently", but your psychological baseline).

Neutral, blank slate, etc. Maybe a little on the higher-than-normal side after a while as my brain kicks into gear, but then I'm doing something, so I don't think that counts.

2. Describe yourself--
a. What's it like to be you?

Uh...

Hard to say, really. I guess it's like the world is picking at me bit by bit and filling me with sludge sometimes, but not all the time. I thought of a tardigrade too recently. Sort of waiting for the next real stimulation.
b. What have others said about you?
My parents think I'm inconsiderate and stubborn. Also to some degree that I'm not living up to potential. Other people think I'm actually a pretty nice guy. Generally everyone I've met thinks I'm intelligent though. That seems to cut across boundaries, because I try to make sure it does. Creativity is similar to intelligence there.

c. What do you think of yourself?
Kind of want to post a song, but nah. I'm kind of feeding into the issue I claim to want to stop too much as is. I guess (wasn't my first thought, but I'm waxing pretentious so what the hell) I'm between the falling angel and the rising ape. Or like a really old mountain. Or a less fucked up junkie. Basically I'm just sort of struggling against distractions while trying to have fun in my life still at the same time.

That's a pretty recent read though. More lifelong is high ambitions and low execution, hah.

3. What are the issues you've dealt with in life? List some recurrent themes, and tell us a little about each one.

I mean, should I include the ones I've moved past?

I guess...

a. Fear of Rejection/Temper after Rejection. When I was younger the very idea of being rejected by someone I romantically liked would terrify me and hit my self image hard enough to drive me to anger.
b. Wishful Thinking/Attachment: First one's fairly simple, the other a little less simple but still simple. I liked certain ideas about what was true and I would hold to those a little too long. That said, I don't know if I've really gotten better or just to a different type of neutral/bad. Maybe it's sort of a perverse middle stage where I stop supporting things but can't really let go of them either and am stuck in apathy.
c. Sloth. Just sloth. Sloth in general.

4. You're not good at everything--
a. What personality traits and/or ways of being are impossible for you to adopt?
--I don't think I feel emotions quite the same way as people, sometimes. I think I'm at the point where I can maybe start to do this now, but even when I was more romantically inclined than I am now, if someone I was interested in were to leave without rejecting me in some way, I wouldn't really miss them. I don't miss people in general honestly. I probably can't be fully and easily empathetic either.
--I can't separate my rationality from my emotions in some ways. I mean, I can think about things in a detached manner, but it's harder for me to feel about things in an illogical manner. If I can't convince myself that something is wrong about what happened to me, my anger will eventually dissipate, perhaps faster than other peoples'.
--I don't get depressed, like strongly sad, very much. I've done it before but I just sort of push that feeling away from me because I hate it. Maybe what it is, is I can't find joy in being just sad? (Angry I can enjoy. That's different)
b. What are qualities you'd like to have, but can't seem to develop?
--Authentic difference. I can develop this to some degree, but I can't ever seem to develop enough lately. It always slips from my grasp after a while.
--A work ethic. 'nuff said.

5. Why have you left friends and other relationships in the past and/or why have they left you?

I've left:

--Because I've felt they wronged me or someone I cared about.
--Because I felt like they didn't like me.
--Because they just wouldn't let a certain thing slide so I could have inner peace.

They've left:

--Because I did something that made them disgusted or uncomfortable.
--Because I couldn't perform sexually

6. Which types do you identify with most? It depends on the interpretations being used. I identify with the Maitri's 6, the whole acedia idea of the 9, and the striving to be unique of the 4. I kinda identify with the idea of the "Prussian" 6, but I don't really follow external rules. Always. Could say that I've been withdrawn like 5 recently and ambitious like 3 in the past, though.
a. How do you relate to these types? See above. :p
b. How do you NOT relate to them? Some of it's above, but I don't identify with 6 because I'm not super freaking anxious and I separate from groups more on principle than what CP 6 is supposed to (also I don't always rush headlong towards my fears. I do often, but it's calculated, not instinctively preferred), I don't experience the same kind of love-need 4s are supposed to have (I want breadth, not depth...till I do want depth but it's not a constant gnawing thing), I don't work hard like 3 and I don't seek knowledge primarily like the 5, and I'm not quite so conflict-avoidant and ambition-less as the 9.

7. Which types are least like you? Uh...maybe 8, or 7. 1 I guess. I'm not that much unlike any of the types
a. Why specifically do you not relate to these types? My wants don't change like 7's, though they used to to an extent, and I'm not as ballsy as an 8 (though I've been pretty ballsy, so maybe I'm inheriting PerC's bullshit "UR NOT A REEL 8!!!!" bias). 8s also have some of that work ethic I was talking about with 3. :p 1s, it's work ethic and need to enforce social standards. Though I have enforced personal standards before.
b. What points (if any) DO you relate to? See above.

8. They claim enneagram type is a hidden love need. What are your attitudes toward finding love? Well, I'm in a relationship now, but my attitude's greatly changed since I was younger. In the past, I scoped out one particular person and tried to "win" them with...basically no strategy and complaining. I did also try to impress them a little bit with knowledge and creativity though.

Nowadays, since every attempt to seek love has gone badly for me, I've mostly just waited to fall into it (#slightantifeministrants I mean what?). I've fallen into...something. I like it well enough.

9. What is the message your superego tells you?

Consider a time when you felt poorly about yourself--this means your ego (i.e. YOU) is receiving negative feedback from your superego. Write a conversation between the two of them--what is your superego telling you about how to be? (Note: this obviously is very personal and may be better done privately. Report your findings).

Are these the same question? I'm on a time crunch, so I will say yes.

Superego: "If you were really interested in X, why didn't you do Y?"
Ego: I don't want to do Y.
Superego: "Pussy. I'm gonna take away your enthusiasm for a bit, 'kay?"
Ego: "What? No!!!"

Is the gist. I've been doing that less (or less consciously) lately.

For the following, rank the issues in the order they apply and give a brief description of why and how you relate.

10. Determine your ego ideal--the way you strive to be and want others to perceive you. (Note, you may be consciously aware of failing at this, and you will be hard on yourself if you do. If someone else tells you you're NOT this way, it may make you feel hurt, violated, or angry.)

Which of the following ideals resonate with you the most, and why? Rank them.

You could quibble over the arrangement of these though. Loveable could be higher.

11. Determine your "felt sense" of life. To do this it may help to look at how you perceive events. Another way to do this is to look back at your childhood and think of all the things your parents did to you. How did you/do you feel about these events?

Here are some common "felt senses" of life:

12. Core fears. You may have been aware of these fears even as a very small child, before anyone did anything to influence it. You'd be mortified to be in this position or have others perceive you this way.

Discuss which fears have played the greatest role in your life:

Alright! Gimme a type, all!

Liminalbeing

Enneagram
9w8?
Not very good at typing yet but you seem like a 9. Read that it is more common for a 9 to mistype as a 5 than the other way round. I'll explain more when I gather enough evidence.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
9w8?
Not very good at typing yet but you seem like a 9. Read that it is more common for a 9 to mistype as a 5 than the other way round. I'll explain more when I gather enough evidence.

Hm. Alright. I'll be waiting for it. :)

Liminalbeing

Enneagram
0. What's making you unsure of your type? What research have you already done to determine type?

Well, I typed as 6 for a long time, but pretty much 90% of my encounters with 6s just showed me how unlike them I was. I don't have "trust issues" like they're supposed to, I just feel the need to attach myself to certain things. And at this point, I'm starting to wonder if that's most enneagram types and if that need is rooted deeply enough in me to make it count.I understand the whole trust issue, 6s attach themselves to something beyond themselves in search for safety, 9s would do the same but in search for inner peace etc. attachment to routine, also the need to belong is prominent in both types. A possiblity I would advice you to consider would be the unhealthy 9, which act in a way thats reminiscent of a 6.

1. Establish a "baseline mood"--when you're at home with nothing to do, where are you at mentally and emotionally? What do you notice in yourself? (Note, this is not a mood you inhabit "frequently", but your psychological baseline).

Neutral, blank slate, etc. Maybe a little on the higher-than-normal side after a while as my brain kicks into gear, but then I'm doing something, so I don't think that counts.

2. Describe yourself--
a. What's it like to be you?

Uh...

Hard to say, really. I guess it's like the world is picking at me bit by bit and filling me with sludge sometimes, but not all the time. I thought of a tardigrade too recently. Sort of waiting for the next real stimulation. This absorption of sorts, from those around you, and possible lack of awareness of the self, is rather reminiscent of a 9, the absorption however is the byproduct of going to sleep to yourself, I can only guess the confusion you feel when introspecting, might seem equivalent to finding a pearl surrounded by a ball of clay. It is there, just takes a while. Considering how you mentioned tardigrade, type 9s are supposedly most grounded in the physical world and in their own bodies, not necesssarily present, but tough emotionally. Have you read 'Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage' by Murakami? The main character is a type 9, would serve as means of a more literal understanding. At one point in the book, the 9 is told that the reason he was used as a scapegoat was because he was the strongest among them, not in physical strength.

b. What have others said about you?
My parents think I'm inconsiderate and stubborn. Also to some degree that I'm not living up to potential. Other people think I'm actually a pretty nice guy. Generally everyone I've met thinks I'm intelligent though. That seems to cut across boundaries, because I try to make sure it does. Creativity is similar to intelligence there.The whole association of sloth with a type 9 would be due to the stubbornness, inertia to get things done. 9s may be grounded in nature but are not very action-oriented. This could also be described in certain descriptions of the INTP, however INTP stubbornness stems from thought, the unwillingness to accept external conclusions without first processing it themselves. It does seem rather contradictory, however MBTi would be your relation to the world, and in that sense, i believe it fits. A core issue I notice is that people tend to relate to the world much differently when surrounded by others than when alone. Their self-impression gets rather vague, hence the search for self, but I digress once again.. Why are you not living up to potential, which area of your life? You can PM me if you don't wish to type it out here. I wouldn't use intelligence to quantify type. If anything, it just reinforces your ability to learn.

c. What do you think of yourself?
Kind of want to post a song, but nah. I'm kind of feeding into the issue I claim to want to stop too much as is. I guess (wasn't my first thought, but I'm waxing pretentious so what the hell) I'm between the falling angel and the rising ape. Or like a really old mountain. Or a less fucked up junkie. Basically I'm just sort of struggling against distractions while trying to have fun in my life still at the same time. Well, if a song expresses your thoughts in a more eloquent manner, then I think it would be worth it. 9s, like 7s tend to indulge in what they consider to be fun, however based on your descriptions, although the 7 struggles with distractions, they embrace it due to them not wanting to face their inner self, not enough data to conclude, however you are definitely not a 7.

That's a pretty recent read though. More lifelong is high ambitions and low execution, hah.

3. What are the issues you've dealt with in life? List some recurrent themes, and tell us a little about each one.

I mean, should I include the ones I've moved past?

I guess...

a. Fear of Rejection/Temper after Rejection. When I was younger the very idea of being rejected by someone I romantically liked would terrify me and hit my self image hard enough to drive me to anger.
b. Wishful Thinking/Attachment: First one's fairly simple, the other a little less simple but still simple. I liked certain ideas about what was true and I would hold to those a little too long. That said, I don't know if I've really gotten better or just to a different type of neutral/bad. Maybe it's sort of a perverse middle stage where I stop supporting things but can't really let go of them either and am stuck in apathy.
c. Sloth. Just sloth. Sloth in general.
I mentioned the nature on the sloth in a few questions above. The rejection you portray is more in line with type 8, however, is the anger directed at the self, the other or the situation, without any involvement of the self? Is there frustration involved? Wishful thinking is a major issue type 9s deal with. I could also say its the core cause of the stubbornness. 9s tend to over-simplify, you sorta did that above.. Accidia would be the term. I shall post a link for you to read, my gut tells me it will help you.*

4. You're not good at everything--
a. What personality traits and/or ways of being are impossible for you to adopt?
--I don't think I feel emotions quite the same way as people, sometimes. I think I'm at the point where I can maybe start to do this now, but even when I was more romantically inclined than I am now, if someone I was interested in were to leave without rejecting me in some way, I wouldn't really miss them. I don't miss people in general honestly. I probably can't be fully and easily empathetic either.
--I can't separate my rationality from my emotions in some ways. I mean, I can think about things in a detached manner, but it's harder for me to feel about things in an illogical manner. If I can't convince myself that something is wrong about what happened to me, my anger will eventually dissipate, perhaps faster than other peoples'.
--I don't get depressed, like strongly sad, very much. I've done it before but I just sort of push that feeling away from me because I hate it. Maybe what it is, is I can't find joy in being just sad? (Angry I can enjoy. That's different)
b. What are qualities you'd like to have, but can't seem to develop?
--Authentic difference. I can develop this to some degree, but I can't ever seem to develop enough lately. It always slips from my grasp after a while.
--A work ethic. 'nuff said.

How do you cope with feeling you're not good at everything? 9s are rather stoic. Subconsciously avoiding painful feelings to maintain a sense of inner peace, resulting in the numbing of emotions. As for the depression, It seems like both and INTP and a 9 thing. Wouldn't really be able to use that efficiently unless you describe it in more detail I'm pretty sure you're a 9 now, but I'll still go on.

5. Why have you left friends and other relationships in the past and/or why have they left you?

I've left:

--Because I've felt they wronged me or someone I cared about.
--Because I felt like they didn't like me.
--Because they just wouldn't let a certain thing slide so I could have inner peace.

How did you leave? Quietly disappearing, confronting, informing, cutting contact, forgetting? The BOLD would be the inner motivation.

They've left:

--Because I did something that made them disgusted or uncomfortable.
--Because I couldn't perform sexually

6. Which types do you identify with most? It depends on the interpretations being used. I identify with the Maitri's 6, the whole acedia idea of the 9, and the striving to be unique of the 4. I kinda identify with the idea of the "Prussian" 6, but I don't really follow external rules. Always. Could say that I've been withdrawn like 5 recently and ambitious like 3 in the past, though. 5s withdrawn nature would be due to fear.
a. How do you relate to these types? See above. :p
b. How do you NOT relate to them? Some of it's above, but I don't identify with 6 because I'm not super freaking anxious and I separate from groups more on principle than what CP 6 is supposed to (also I don't always rush headlong towards my fears. I do often, but it's calculated, not instinctively preferred), I don't experience the same kind of love-need 4s are supposed to have (I want breadth, not depth...till I do want depth but it's not a constant gnawing thing), I don't work hard like 3 and I don't seek knowledge primarily like the 5, and I'm not quite so conflict-avoidant and ambition-less as the 9. You more or less gave yourself the answers here.

7. Which types are least like you? Uh...maybe 8, or 7. 1 I guess. I'm not that much unlike any of the types
a. Why specifically do you not relate to these types? My wants don't change like 7's, though they used to to an extent, and I'm not as ballsy as an 8 (though I've been pretty ballsy, so maybe I'm inheriting PerC's bullshit "UR NOT A REEL 8!!!!" bias). 8s also have some of that work ethic I was talking about with 3. :p 1s, it's work ethic and need to enforce social standards. Though I have enforced personal standards before.
b. What points (if any) DO you relate to? See above. Personal standards would be more of a 1 wing than 8 wing. Notice that this could be the reason you leave groups due to your principles. The question is, in what manner do you leave?

8. They claim enneagram type is a hidden love need. What are your attitudes toward finding love? Well, I'm in a relationship now, but my attitude's greatly changed since I was younger. In the past, I scoped out one particular person and tried to "win" them with...basically no strategy and complaining. I did also try to impress them a little bit with knowledge and creativity though.

Nowadays, since every attempt to seek love has gone badly for me, I've mostly just waited to fall into it (#slightantifeministrants I mean what?). I've fallen into...something. I like it well enough.

9. What is the message your superego tells you?

Consider a time when you felt poorly about yourself--this means your ego (i.e. YOU) is receiving negative feedback from your superego. Write a conversation between the two of them--what is your superego telling you about how to be? (Note: this obviously is very personal and may be better done privately. Report your findings).

Are these the same question? I'm on a time crunch, so I will say yes.

Superego: "If you were really interested in X, why didn't you do Y?"
Ego: I don't want to do Y.
Superego: "Pussy. I'm gonna take away your enthusiasm for a bit, 'kay?"
Ego: "What? No!!!"

Is the gist. I've been doing that less (or less consciously) lately.

For the following, rank the issues in the order they apply and give a brief description of why and how you relate.

10. Determine your ego ideal--the way you strive to be and want others to perceive you. (Note, you may be consciously aware of failing at this, and you will be hard on yourself if you do. If someone else tells you you're NOT this way, it may make you feel hurt, violated, or angry.)

Which of the following ideals resonate with you the most, and why? Rank them.

You could quibble over the arrangement of these though. Loveable could be higher.

I can't comment on these due to the interpretation and bias involved. When a question becomes to obvious, the response loses authenticity.

11. Determine your "felt sense" of life. To do this it may help to look at how you perceive events. Another way to do this is to look back at your childhood and think of all the things your parents did to you. How did you/do you feel about these events?

Here are some common "felt senses" of life:

How did you respond to them? Thats more important than 'them'. Enneagram isn't about the answers, its about the process, the how.

12. Core fears. You may have been aware of these fears even as a very small child, before anyone did anything to influence it. You'd be mortified to be in this position or have others perceive you this way.

Discuss which fears have played the greatest role in your life:

Read the links, if you have yet to come across them. Somehow I think you have read them before.

Alright! Gimme a type, all!

So yes, based on what I wrote in red, I believe you are a type 9. 8 wing more so than 1 but I would need you to answer my questions in order to find a best fit wing. However at the same time, I believe it is essential for you to confirm it, on your own. The whole purpose of the enneagram, the framework, is to give you the tool necessary to move beyond your type. Wouldn't advice you to end the self-awareness figuring out and accepting your type, and sorry for the late response. Do state your disagreements, I'm curious.

Some references:
Happiness for Enneagram Type 9 - YouTube
Misidentifying 6 and 9 — The Enneagram Institute
*http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-forum-peacemaker/134925-naranjos-character-neurosis-ennea-type-ix.html
The Saint - Type 9 - YouTube (rather long, but relevant)

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Eeh, I read it and I honestly have no idea. I'm sorry, I'm not very skilled in enneagram yet. I could see 9 as your gut type, 2 as your heart type, and then 5 or 6 as your head type. So perhaps 926, 962, 925, or 952?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Eeh, I read it and I honestly have no idea. I'm sorry, I'm not very skilled in enneagram yet. I could see 9 as your gut type, 2 as your heart type, and then 5 or 6 as your head type. So perhaps 926, 962, 925, or 952?

Do you have any idea what might make reading easier?