• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What was my grandmother's type?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I never did get her to take the test since she thought all people are individuals and can't be put in boxes. She was an even more devout Jehovah's Witness than my mother, as while my ESTJ 1w2 Sx/Sp mother sometimes bends the rules of the organization for practical purposes and doesn't seem to practice what she preaches, my grandmother was pious to a fault and shunned my mother for 5 years once when she caught her daughter breaking a church rule (I forgot what it was). My grandmother was really big on church rules and gave the silent treatment for years at a time if she caught anybody breaking even a minor rule, which included my less devout, but still really devout mother. Until I was 14, I was just as devout as my Grandmother, then it struck me how illogical some of the bible stories were and also how unlikely it was that the church had the one true interpretation of the book. This opened the door for me to apply moral judgements to the religion and I judged the organization as a mind control cult that was worse than even mainstream christianity because it had tight control over its members, discouraged learning about even other forms of christianity (much less nonchristian religions), and promoted shunning. I left, and kept it secret from my grandmother for sometime. I would blame my absence on my mother's corruption if my grandmother asked (she considered my mother very corrupt because she caught her breaking a rule). Regardless, my mother eventually came to a place where my grandmother and I were eating and blurted out that I was an atheist, and my grandmother forgot she was pretending her daughter did not exist and asked me if that were true. I said yes, but our relationship did not end. She continued shunning my mother over a minor violation, but did not shun me despite a major violation. My grandmother was always concerned about helpless people and animals and was very generous. She was more altruistic than I am. She disliked theoretical discussions and when I wanted to share an exciting new concept or idea I had, she would always ask why I would want to talk about things that aren't even real, when we could just enjoy what was right there and talk about realistic day-to-day things. My grandmother was also a social butterfly and far more extroverted than I am. She maintained networks of friends so larged and complex that I lost count of how many people considered her their "best friend". There were easily a couple hundred people at her funeral. She was always very meticulous about everything being in order. She was also a painter in her youth before arthritis pruned up her hands, and she would paint horses and things she saw. She was not as ambitious or commanding as my mom, but she was influential when it came to soft power.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want to say ISFP. Had ESFJ on the brain too, but I felt more Fi.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Still leaning ISFP. I'll add a 2w1 so/sx to that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I never did get her to take the test since she thought all people are individuals and can't be put in boxes. She was an even more devout Jehovah's Witness than my mother, as while my ESTJ 1w2 Sx/Sp mother sometimes bends the rules of the organization for practical purposes and doesn't seem to practice what she preaches, my grandmother was pious to a fault and shunned my mother for 5 years once when she caught her daughter breaking a church rule (I forgot what it was). My grandmother was really big on church rules and gave the silent treatment for years at a time if she caught anybody breaking even a minor rule, which included my less devout, but still really devout mother. Until I was 14, I was just as devout as my Grandmother, then it struck me how illogical some of the bible stories were and also how unlikely it was that the church had the one true interpretation of the book. This opened the door for me to apply moral judgements to the religion and I judged the organization as a mind control cult that was worse than even mainstream christianity because it had tight control over its members, discouraged learning about even other forms of christianity (much less nonchristian religions), and promoted shunning. I left, and kept it secret from my grandmother for sometime. I would blame my absence on my mother's corruption if my grandmother asked (she considered my mother very corrupt because she caught her breaking a rule). Regardless, my mother eventually came to a place where my grandmother and I were eating and blurted out that I was an atheist, and my grandmother forgot she was pretending her daughter did not exist and asked me if that were true. I said yes, but our relationship did not end. She continued shunning my mother over a minor violation, but did not shun me despite a major violation. My grandmother was always concerned about helpless people and animals and was very generous. She was more altruistic than I am. She disliked theoretical discussions and when I wanted to share an exciting new concept or idea I had, she would always ask why I would want to talk about things that aren't even real, when we could just enjoy what was right there and talk about realistic day-to-day things. My grandmother was also a social butterfly and far more extroverted than I am. She maintained networks of friends so larged and complex that I lost count of how many people considered her their "best friend". There were easily a couple hundred people at her funeral. She was always very meticulous about everything being in order. She was also a painter in her youth before arthritis pruned up her hands, and she would paint horses and things she saw. She was not as ambitious or commanding as my mom, but she was influential when it came to soft power.

ESFJ. You've described her as Judging "she considered my mother very corrupt because she caught her breaking a rule" - Sensing "She disliked theoretical discussions and when I wanted to share an exciting new concept or idea I had, she would always ask why I would want to talk about things that aren't even real" - Extroverted - "She maintained networks of friends so larged and complex that I lost count of how many people considered her their "best friend"." - and Feeling - "My grandmother was always concerned about helpless people and animals and was very generous."

Descriptions don't come much better than yours.

If you want a JCF response, I don't see how that much deep analysis is necessary here.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESFJ. You've described her as Judging "she considered my mother very corrupt because she caught her breaking a rule" - Sensing "She disliked theoretical discussions and when I wanted to share an exciting new concept or idea I had, she would always ask why I would want to talk about things that aren't even real" - Extroverted - "She maintained networks of friends so larged and complex that I lost count of how many people considered her their "best friend"." - and Feeling - "My grandmother was always concerned about helpless people and animals and was very generous."

Descriptions don't come much better than yours.

If you want a JCF response, I don't see how that much deep analysis is necessary here.
I thought so. She bent the rules for me despite my violating her ruleset to a greater degree than my mother. That threw me for a loop.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought so. She bent the rules for me despite my violating her ruleset to a greater degree than my mother. That threw me for a loop.

Grandkids are always treated as special, I've noticed, in the ISFJ/ESFJ personalities. There seems to be a higher ruleset, one that goes "be tough on your kids and be kind and loving to your grandkids." It can go as far as "spoil your grandkids."

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Grandkids are always treated as special, I've noticed, in the ISFJ/ESFJ personalities. There seems to be a higher ruleset, one that goes "be tough on your kids and be kind and loving to your grandkids." It can go as far as "spoil your grandkids."

When and if I have kids, do you think the same pattern holds true for ESTJ 1w2 sx/sp's?

My mother is different from my grandmother. I finally got her to take the test and she scored what I predicted--ESTJ 1w2 sx/sp. She is bold, loud, ambitious, attempts to be traditionally feminine, efficient, clinical in her actions, and really bossy. That said, she always manages to get others to fall in line behind her command and has climbed her way to a position of extremely high authority in the education system. I am her complete opposite, and in a bad way. I'm unconfident, hesitant, quiet, inefficient, forgetful, prone to thinking about things but never doing them, and more about theory and ideas than actual reality. After consistant failure in life, I've tried emulating some aspects of my mother and I do it poorly. Instead of becoming really efficient and successful when I roleplay her, I just waffle between bitter poet and insensitive bastard--with none of the benefits. At least when I'm my sensitive, curious self, I get sympathy. When I try to be like my mother, people are all to happy to cast me away. The only reason I say I'm an ENFP and not and INFP is that if you lock me in a boring situation with other people present, I can help but bombard them with questions that fly into my mind and I also enjoy being invited places with people. Most if the time, though, I occupy myself alone with books, movies, internet, and daydreaming. Sorry if I got off topic. I'm prone to that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When and if I have kids, do you think the same pattern holds true for ESTJ 1w2 sx/sp's?

My mother is different from my grandmother. I finally got her to take the test and she scored what I predicted--ESTJ 1w2 sx/sp. She is bold, loud, ambitious, attempts to be traditionally feminine, efficient, clinical in her actions, and really bossy. That said, she always manages to get others to fall in line behind her command and has climbed her way to a position of extremely high authority in the education system. I am her complete opposite, and in a bad way. I'm unconfident, hesitant, quiet, inefficient, forgetful, prone to thinking about things but never doing them, and more about theory and ideas than actual reality. After consistant failure in life, I've tried emulating some aspects of my mother and I do it poorly. Instead of becoming really efficient and successful when I roleplay her, I just waffle between bitter poet and insensitive bastard--with none of the benefits. At least when I'm my sensitive, curious self, I get sympathy. When I try to be like my mother, people are all to happy to cast me away. The only reason I say I'm an ENFP and not and INFP is that if you lock me in a boring situation with other people present, I can help but bombard them with questions that fly into my mind and I also enjoy being invited places with people. Most if the time, though, I occupy myself alone with books, movies, internet, and daydreaming. Sorry if I got off topic. I'm prone to that.

I don't know that I've seen the ESTJs treat their children better or worse than their grandchildren in terms of the ruleset. As for the rest, I've also tried to emulate others when their way was successful, but it didn't work out the same for me. People don't fall for it. I think it has a lot to do with looks and self-presentation. If I was 6'3 and tough-looking I could just bully my way through life. But if I tried to do that as I am I would just get knocked down.