• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New and confused! Can you type me?

rosescarlet

I'm new here and confused on my type. I took the test half a year ago and got INFJ. I took it again more recently and got INFJ again. But now I'm getting INFP, ISFJ, and once INTJ. I'm really eager to be able to identify with one of them. I asked on Personality Cafe, but I was wondering if anyone on here had different ideas. (Personality Cafe said either INFP or ISFP, and another person said INFJ). I used the questions from Personality Cafe too. Hope you don't mind, and I'm sorry for the length of this post. Feel free to ask me to answer other questions if it helps. Thanks!

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
I’m a female, still in school, and have depression.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
I’ll start panicking and thinking of the worst possible scenarios. I’ll become impatient with whoever’s trying to fix the car, but I’ll try not to show it. I may start muttering under my breath and if someone tries to talk to me, I’ll start rambling on about the stupid car and how I can’t miss seeing this event.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I’ve probably somewhat enjoyed the concert, but now I’m exhausted. Even if the party may have the potential to be fun, I just want to get home and go to bed. I may express this to the driver, but if he says something like “come on, it’ll be fun!” I’ll just go with it (and regret it later).

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
I can feel my stomach clench and start boiling. My senses are heightened, and my brain is whirring. Inside, I’m constructing the perfectly worded sentence to say to that friend, and once I’m finished, I begin looking for a break in the conversation where I can respectfully and powerfully share my opinion. I start to feel nervous at what their reaction might be, and because of this, I may never even share my beliefs, no matter how angry I may be. But if I do speak up, I try to show every side so that what I say cannot be disputed. I think that very rarely I would every be able to summon the courage to speak up like that, though. After the car ride, I know I’ll be regretting missing the opportunity to say what I wanted to.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
Pretty much the same thing as before, although if I was actually seeing it, I may be slightly more vocal.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
I value honesty above all. Honesty because if someone is lying to me (I can sometimes tell) I’m turned off to that person. They obviously don’t value my opinions or feelings if they’re going to treat me that way. I also value respect. Sometimes my friends treat each other in such a rude way, and I’m just sitting there thinking “Do you not understand what ___ is going through? Just back off and show some respect!” I feel like this happens to me a lot because my friends often some to me to talk about how they’re feeling, so I often am the most omniscient in my friend group. My thoughts are, ‘you’re not that person. You don’t know exactly who they are, what they’re going through, or how they feel. So respect them!’

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I feel like I can understand other people really well. Even though I usually don’t act on it, I can understand other’s emotions really well. Knowing this puts me in a position with two choices: to act in a way to make them feel uncomfortable, or to adjust my attitude to fit with that person. Usually, I do the latter, and that sort of ties into the next part.
I would make myself more “me” around others. I change my personality for whoever I’m around. One of my teachers (I thought we knew each other pretty well) told me he thought I was emotionless. That was when I realized how secretive I am. I’m never ‘me’ around other people. To teachers I’m emotionless. To friends I’m funny. To boys I’m confident. To my family I’m a jerk. And to myself, I’m me. Sometimes this bugs me because I REALLY want other people to understand, but then my personality adjustments get in the way.

For part a, I asked my friend the same question, and she told me this: “you're funny without trying to be and when you are trying to be funny you say it in a funny tone of voice” I don’t think that really relates to the question that much, but I just thought it might help.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
I most certainly do not ignore hunches, because I know that there’s always truth behind them. Someone told me once “sometimes it’s best to go with your first answer rather than changing it.” This is a hard question to answer for me because hunches and gut feelings make me feel nervous. When I get them, I start to think about the facts, analyze the situation in my head, and most likely overanalyze it. This can overwhelm me, and I end up thinking “you know what, let’s just go with it and see what happens!” And quite honestly, I usually end up quite pleased when I trust my instincts.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
I’m drained after being in a public place the whole day, e.g. school. I think this is because at school I have to be self conscious of everything, and I have to watch everything I say and do carefully. When I’m at home alone, I’m energized because I feel like I can do anything I want to without being judged.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
No one knows the true me. No one. Yeah, I’ve told people secrets about my private life, but not everything. And this probably holds true for a lot of people, but I feel that for me, I hold a lot of things back. If you don’t REALLY know me (only one or two people do) then I’m going to repress my personality a lot. Like I said before, I appear very different if you don’t know me. Some of the main things I hold back are: ~Perfect jokes. They come up out of the blue in my head, but I’m too shy to say them out loud. ~My feelings. If someone asks how I’m doing, I’m always “fine”. ~My interests. I love Harry Potter, I love reading and writing and I think gymnastics is fun. But I’m afraid of being judged, so I say nothing. ~Opinions. Class conversations, discussions with friends and family, I want to say my opinions, but once again, I’m too shy and don’t want to say the wrong thing. I also don’t want someone to get offended and think of me in the wrong way. (Yes I know this is contradictory but that’s me.)

11) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I got all fives (best score and equivalent to an A) on my algebra tests two times in a row, earning a rare high five from my strict teacher. It was amazing. The entire morning of angst and nerves and “please God don’t let me fail” was over. This may not be my finest, but it sure was a happy moment. Plus I got to prove to everyone in the class my worth, and I was truly proud of myself.

12) What makes you feel inferior?
When people have that sense of confidence that I don’t have.

13) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I love memorizing things. Like the state names in alphabetical order or the books of the Bible. It’s so satisfying to know that I’ve achieved that. I use the same method when I’m studying to learn something. I say it in my head until it’s pounded into my brain.

14) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
My bedroom is pretty messy, but everything else (school, book shelf) is neat. I don’t really know. It depends.

15) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think before speaking, and I prefer one on one.

16) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? I like to know where I’m jumping, but I don’t mind blindly jumping every so often.

17) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
I say I’m busy (probably, depending on what they want to do) and I’ll feel a bit guilty.

18) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I feel like I want to cry and then I force myself to get the job done.

19) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When people are insensitive, whether to me, or to others. This kills me.

20) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Deep deep conversations. I don’t care what they’re about, but I love having deep conversations. I also love having polite arguments where you can get really deep too.

21) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends say I’m funny, smart, honest, trustworthy, and say they can talk to me about anything. One also said I’m good about thinking about others feelings and I’m calm. What kills me is that the one trait I value most is what they’re sometimes wrong about. Honesty. I try so hard to tell the truth, and it kills me when I lie about something. I think she’s right in the fact that I’m honest about my friends, but I’m rarely ever honest about myself. If someone asks a question about me, I’ll simplify my answer. But if my friends are seeking help, I don’t sugar coat anything.
They’re also wrong in the fact that I’m calm. Yeah, maybe on the outside I look calm, but on the inside, there’s a hurricane.
They would never say that I’m tempermental. Which is kind of what I am. I get mad over the littlest things sometimes, but I feel bad when I show my anger.

22) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I’d cuddle up in my bed with some nice unhealthy food and watch Starkid musicals. After I get bored, I’ll want to even out my laziness with some exercise (if I can overcome that laziness).

23) Does action speak louder than words?
Well, this could lead me into a deep and long answer that I don’t feel like working on right now so I’m leaving that blank.