• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INFJ or ISFJ? :/

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey, so I’m unsure about my type, mostly because different people keep telling me I’m different types and it’s very confusing! I think I’ve narrowed it down to ISFJ or INFJ but I’d love help figuring out which one I am, if you can spare the time!

Describe a moment when you felt truly alive

I think the moment I’ve ever felt the most alive was last summer at a writing workshop. It was the final night of the workshop and at the end of the session they played the song “Home” on the speakers. I’m not even a huge fan of that song, but as we were all standing in the dark, I suddenly felt so very connected to everyone around me, like all our souls had joined in a group hug. It was the most peaceful, joyful feeling I’ve ever experienced, like I truly was home.

What do you want most out of life?

What I want most is to do something meaningful that will help others and leave the world better off. What I want for myself is a peaceful, quiet existence full of creative pursuits, some unstressful adventures, lots of nature, and meaningful relationships.
What do you fear most?
I’m afraid of hurting people. I’ve always been terrified that I make the people around me worse off than they would be otherwise, and so I strive to ensure my fear doesn’t become a reality. Some of my darkest times have been because I thought I was a hindrance to others, and my most memorable nightmares are always something like me accidentally hitting a sister with a car. I think the worst situation imaginable for me would be to do something to help humanity but have it backfire and cause a huge catastrophe.

How do you view yourself? Is it different than how others see you?

I think of myself as an early morning sunrise: full of hope and potential for the future, and the pinks and yellows across the edges of the horizon represent my sweetness and friendliness. But the less noticeable aspect of the sunrise is the gray and black which takes up most of the sky. This is the heaviness and cynicism I feel much of the time, but that others rarely notice, probably because I’m poor at expressing it and have a naturally upbeat way of speaking and moving.

What makes you sad?

Many things. Some of them are silly, such as seeing all the cars whizzing around in the early morning and feeling down because I know most of the drivers are off to work and I wish they could be having breakfast with their family, instead. Seeing anyone in emotional or physical pain makes me depressed also, especially if it’s a child. What makes me saddest is children’s suffering in 3rd-world countries.

What makes you happy?

Spending time with my family (as long as no one is fighting!), doing creative activities like writing or painting, hiking, and reading.

How often do you like to get together with friends or attend social events?
I attend social activities about once a week, but hang out with the friends I’m related to (aka my sisters and parents) more, if possible. I would probably be more socially active if I wasn’t so busy with school.

How tidy are your living spaces, usually?

They’re typically untidy. I try my best to keep things clean, but somehow my organization just degrades and I can’t keep up with the mess. I blame the second law of thermodynamics.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That posts does read more ISFJ, but your humor is really abstract and silly. I don't know about all ISFJ humor, but I did know one really sweet lady who was an ISFJ and her humor tended to play with goofy ways of falling outside the norm. She would get friends and family to do hilarious things like walk like a spaghetti person across a public place. I think it had to do with an awareness of Fe, but an internally mischievous way of playing with that. She was always trying to trick her husband into having to carry her purse and other really silly things like that. She was also really good at buying gifts that animals would love and had a lot of sensory awareness.

Your humor and play of words and concepts generally across the forums has always felt very N to me, although it seems to play between Ne and Ni, and so it can be difficult to define. It will be funny if you are ISFJ because a lot of times people who type as INFJ seem like ISFJ to me because they don't ever talk about anything abstract in humor or conversation, but you and a couple other very abstract and likely INFJs then type as ISFJ. I can think of one other on the forums who seems extremely abstract in her thinking, but who sometimes types as ISFJ. When it comes to I?FJs, it sometimes feels like opposites world.

sadisbeauty

Yes i saw that intuitive humor too, but i'm pretty sure he is an isfj, infj doesn't cry much for random people

Abendrot

one way trip
MBTI Type
IntJ
Enneagram
85X
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've said it before, but you seem to me like an ESFJ under functions, and iNFj under dichotomies.

If you understand mbti, the main possible source of error is your self-perception.

Here's an idea: Ask people who know you very well to fill out the "word test" or "word choice test" for you on this site.

Personality Tests

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That posts does read more ISFJ, but your humor is really abstract and silly. I don't know about all ISFJ humor, but I did know one really sweet lady who was an ISFJ and her humor tended to play with goofy ways of falling outside the norm. She would get friends and family to do hilarious things like walk like a spaghetti person across a public place. I think it had to do with an awareness of Fe, but an internally mischievous way of playing with that. She was always trying to trick her husband into having to carry her purse and other really silly things like that. She was also really good at buying gifts that animals would love and had a lot of sensory awareness.

Your humor and play of words and concepts generally across the forums has always felt very N to me, although it seems to play between Ne and Ni, and so it can be difficult to define. It will be funny if you are ISFJ because a lot of times people who type as INFJ seem like ISFJ to me because they don't ever talk about anything abstract in humor or conversation, but you and a couple other very abstract and likely INFJs then type as ISFJ. I can think of one other on the forums who seems extremely abstract in her thinking, but who sometimes types as ISFJ. When it comes to I?FJs, it sometimes feels like opposites world.

Thank you for your in-depth response.

That ISFJ sounds like a fun person! :) I've known only two ISFJs but one of them had a great sense of humor.

You seem more like an ESFJ, to me.
I could see myself as an extravert, but I'm sticking to introvert for now as I've been a hard-core introvert until a couple months ago. Last fall, even doing something like sitting in a room with strangers while listening to music via sound-canceling headphones and chilling on my computer would exhaust me because I could still feel the energy of everyone in the room. Recently, that's gone away and I've enjoyed socializing more (with the right kinds of people) but I'm unsure if it's just a faze or if I really am changing. People have often guessed that I'm an extravert though, when first getting to know me, as I'm very energetic, friendly, and happy, which gives me a more extravert vibe.

Yes i saw that intuitive humor too, but i'm pretty sure he is an isfj, infj doesn't cry much for random people

But wait, wouldn't caring for everyone in the world, even if you don't know them and can't see them, be more of an intuitive trait as it requires a large amount of imagination and empathy? I would think that caring mostly for those immediately around you would be more S as it is more practical. IDK though I haven't studied this in depth. What is your reasoning behind your statement? I'd love to hear it if you can spare the time!

I've said it before, but you seem to me like an ESFJ under functions, and iNFj under dichotomies.

If you understand mbti, the main possible source of error is your self-perception.

Here's an idea: Ask people who know you very well to fill out the "word test" or "word choice test" for you on this site.

Personality Tests

That is a fantastic idea! I had two family members do it and got INFJ both times.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmm you are an intresting one :D. I cant see INFJ at all as you are defo a Ne user of some kind as your abstractions are random and scattered like a Ne rahter than focused like a Ni. I cant see ISFJ as your Ne isnt inferior so for you I see you as an ESFJ but one with strong Ne/Ti and I have also oddly considered ENTP for you but I think your Fe/Ne not Ne/Fe. ESFJ 2w3 7w6 9w1 is my current guess for ya and I think you may behave like an introvert but functions wise you seem an extrovert to me.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm you are an intresting one :D. I cant see INFJ at all as you are defo a Ne user of some kind as your abstractions are random and scattered like a Ne rahter than focused like a Ni. I cant see ISFJ as your Ne isnt inferior so for you I see you as an ESFJ but one with strong Ne/Ti and I have also oddly considered ENTP for you but I think your Fe/Ne not Ne/Fe. ESFJ 2w3 7w6 9w1 is my current guess for ya and I think you may behave like an introvert but functions wise you seem an extrovert to me.

Ah, makes sense. I'm not sure if I have a 100% grasp of what Ni really is as you hear so many different interpretations of it, but I think I use it, I just don't share as it's so very dark and I don't want to scare everyone away. :newwink: Though I could see my version of Ni as a Si/Ti combo as I find patterns from past experiences and books I've read, and behaviors I've witnessed, and apply it together to form a long river of interpretations and insights. That makes sense though. :p So oh dear, guess I have to be an XXFX.

dQSWhhv.jpg

PurpleDawn

Gonna say eSFJ 9w1, you seem like more of a more reserved, peace loving Fe dom than the Si - Ti Dom - Tert relation. Also your Ne is definately not inferior.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even her username is quintessential Ne - re-contextualizing and finding connections between random things in a playful way.

It seems like the presence of both Fe and Ne is what confuses the issue because it does leave mostly the possibility of ESFJ which can seem doubtful because it does tend to be more normative and less abstract, and ESTP which also seems doubtful because she has deeper sensitivity, empathy, and seems extremely like a Feeler.

Could ENFP with Ne-Fi take on the appearance of Fe? I can think of one male ENFP who can seem to express what looks like Fe because it ethically based but responds readily to needs of others.

PurpleDawn

Even her username is quintessential Ne - re-contextualizing and finding connections between random things in a playful way. It seems like the presence of both Fe and Ne is what confuses the issue because it does leave mostly the possibility of ESFJ which can seem doubtful because it does tend to be more normative and less abstract, and ESTP which also seems doubtful because she has deeper sensitivity, empathy, and seems extremely like a Feeler. Could ENFP with Ne-Fi take on the appearance of Fe? I can think of one male ENFP who can seem to express what looks like Fe because it ethically based but responds readily to needs of others.
I don't really think she's Fi - Te tbh

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even her username is quintessential Ne - re-contextualizing and finding connections between random things in a playful way.

It seems like the presence of both Fe and Ne is what confuses the issue because it does leave mostly the possibility of ESFJ which can seem doubtful because it does tend to be more normative and less abstract, and ESTP which also seems doubtful because she has deeper sensitivity, empathy, and seems extremely like a Feeler.

Could ENFP with Ne-Fi take on the appearance of Fe? I can think of one male ENFP who can seem to express what looks like Fe because it ethically based but responds readily to needs of others.

Oh yes, I've often wondered about cognitive functions being mistaken for each other. For an example, if a Fi-users values included selflessness, that could come across as very Fe. I'm /definitely/ not any kind of SP though as I have absolutely no Se. *crashes into wall*

Anyways, thanks so much for the help everyone! I really appreciate it! I'm going to go with iNFJ under dichotomies and Fe/Ne/Ti/Si = ESFJ/ENTP under cognitive functions, for now.

PurpleDawn

Oh yes, I've often wondered about cognitive functions being mistaken for each other. For an example, if a Fi-users values included selflessness, that could come across as very Fe. I'm /definitely/ not any kind of SP though as I have absolutely no Se. *crashes into wall*

Anyways, thanks so much for the help everyone! I really appreciate it! I'm going to go with iNFJ under dichotomies and Fe/Ne/Ti/Si = ESFJ/ENTP under cognitive functions, for now.

Glad to be of help! Also, Fi can be selfless if it feels its for a good cause, and I relate to having no Se, screw that function! xD

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Glad to be of help! Also, Fi can be selfless if it feels its for a good cause, and I relate to having no Se, screw that function! xD

Hey, so I've been thinking about it and have decided I'm going to try on ESFJ with the core 9 like you suggested. The 9 should explain my sometimes introverted tendencies despite being an extrovert, and then I think my Socionics could help with the abstraction. Good idea!

PurpleDawn

Hey, so I've been thinking about it and have decided I'm going to try on ESFJ with the core 9 like you suggested. The 9 should explain my sometimes introverted tendencies despite being an extrovert, and then I think my Socionics could help with the abstraction. Good idea!

As said prior, glad to help :3