• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can You Help This April Fool Discern His Type?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hello. When it comes to my jung type, I am indecisive in this aspect. I cannot confidently put myself down as a certain type and stick with it. Everyone marks me as an SP, but the issue lies in which one. I was first typed as an ISTP years ago (Humanmetrics, I know...) but suffered from severe Social Anxiety; still do, but to a lesser degree. After reading about the actual functions, I was lead to call myself an ISFP for a couple of years. But after some introspection I questioned again. I put out some questionnaires for others to give me somewhat of a direction to go. To that end, ESTP was a common suggestion. I didn't really question that until recently as I believe that I am not Ni inferior. The choices! I wanna hear from you other SP's to what I might be.

Younger Days (up to 18): In my earliest years, I was impulsive and a show off. I made sure everyone knew me. Even so, I was laid-back and didn't really make much of a fuss (though I did have a temper, but they were short-lived). Favored hobbies were building with Legos and Video games, and learning about cars. I could absorb myself in those activities for hours, if not the whole day. I did well in school up to middle school. I was a C student up to college. I only went to school for the social aspect, though learning was fun too. B student in college, somehow.

Decision Making Process: I think in terms of Pros and Cons. I used to think that decisions of values was just "liking" things so I leaned toward F, but after deeper study, I learned that this was not the case. I don't think in terms of values in the sense of "being true to myself" or "is this important to me". My dominant focus goes along the lines of "What can I do right now that will yield the best results" or "Which choice is the most appealing/enjoyable". I don't really hold any values other than just be nice and don't be too much of a dick. "When in Rome, do as the Romans Do" is the way I navigate the social arena.

Emotions: I am not really an emotional person. Sure, I laugh and get angry like the next guy, but I don't really think about them. They're just reactions. There was a time in my life where I thought I had Autism (Mother still thinks I do) but that was largely just my SA acting up when in public. Another reason for so is I don't really feel other's emotions. I understand them perfectly but It's more like a cold analysis rather than feeling what they feel. I feel awkward when someone is upset near me because I'm like "what do you want me to do?!" When I'm in a similar simulation, I just absorb myself in something to get my mind off things. People see me as cold in this regard as I don't wallow in feelings and move on.

Focus in life: I have a "go with the wind" mentality. I don't really have any plans or goals. I just live one day at a time. Relatives constantly state that I'm "coasting". No ideals other than to enjoy life. Career wise, probably working on cars; focusing on the aesthetic aspects.

Role I Play: I play the problem solver most of the time. Whether it be packing or jury rigging, I can do it!

If you need any more info, just let me know.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmmm. I want to say ESTP. I'm not sure why, and I'm not saying it just because it's there, but - and it's not like you can't be emotional just because of the T in your functions - but... I don't know, I see ESTP. Maybe ENTP, because you weigh pros and cons? You go into yourself, you know yourself. If that makes sense.

I'm not good at this typing people thing, I'm trying.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmmm. I want to say ESTP. I'm not sure why, and I'm not saying it just because it's there, but - and it's not like you can't be emotional just because of the T in your functions - but... I don't know, I see ESTP. Maybe ENTP, because you weigh pros and cons? You go into yourself, you know yourself. If that makes sense.

I'm not good at this typing people thing, I'm trying.

Thank you for posting! I know Ts can be emotional. I was just trying to elaborate on why I strayed away from labeling as Fi as I don't factor in personal values (consciously anyway). XSTP is the consensus, but ENTP is not really a far off guess.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=29903]Mayflower[/MENTION]: Did you happen to fill out those long questionnaires? I can help you find one if you need it.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=29903]Mayflower[/MENTION]: Did you happen to fill out those long questionnaires? I can help you find one if you need it.

Yep. Did all that paperwork.

1. During your youth (7'ish to 18), What did you focus on the most? What activities did you like and why? What aspect of life was lax in attention?
I just focused on playing. I enjoyed Legos, video games and other activities with my friends. As for the why, because they were fun and I enjoyed the activities. I liked building things (I.e, vehicle replicas) and destroying. For my weaknesses, I never planned for the future or even thought about it. I was impulsive and didn't think things through. I'm more forward thinking now, but still lack in that department.

2. You're in you senior year of high school (or whatever equivalent) and you are looking back over the last couple of years. What was your favorite aspect of the schooling experience and why? Favorite subject and why?
I would say it was the social interaction. I enjoyed learning but that was more passive result than my actual drive. Paying attention to the day to day happenings were the most interesting. My favorite subject? It would probably be Gym because I got to run around a bit; better than sitting in a chair for an hour strait. Extracurricular activities were the highlight of my week (sparing). I loved the rush of the action and bettering myself.

3. A couple of friends invited you out to lunch At the restaurant, they start talking about how their significant other shares their values and ideals. You start introspecting and ask to yourself "What values do I hold? What ideals do I have for the world?" Strangely, after pondering, your friends ask you the same question. What would you say?
"Ughh, I... don't really know. I don't really think about those things. Just...have fun? Don't be a dick. Go with the flow. That's it, I'm not that deep man."

4. Your schooling is done and it's time to strike out into the world!! What sort of career do you want to go into and why?
I wouldn't know what to do. I did college but just did it just because and still don't know what I want to do. It would probably have something to do with designing aero for cars as that been my main focus through most of my life. I like to make things look good. As long as I'm physically working on something, I'll be content.

5. At the company you work at, a meeting is taking place. A project has been assigned to your department. For two hours, two plans have been drafted for how the project should proceed. Plan A involves a compilation of graphs, polls, and charts that seem to lead to progress and efficiency. Plan B is less intricate and lacks hard data, but is in tune with your understanding of how things will pan out. After deliberation, you have been given the deciding vote. Which one would you choose? Why?
I would probably choose Plan B for some reason. Sure, Plan A seems airtight and the best way to go, but something about it is missing. It doesn't really make sense. You could just do it "that" way, without all the "mess".

6. You get into an argument with a friend/family member/co-worker. They criticize one of your personality traits. What would most likely be the focus of their critique?
There are many things that I would be criticized over. From experience, I have been called stubborn and lack ambition. I have often been called cold when others are in emotional states. Like, what do you want me to do? Comfort yourself!! I honestly do care about others (sometimes...), but I'm not going out of my way to show such.

7. It's New Years! You and your friends are out and about after a party. Being drunk, one of your friends suggests to do something....'questionable' (Nothing serious). What are your thoughts and how do you respond?
I would think through it to see if it would be worthwhile. I would be thinking "Would we get in trouble?, Is it fun?" (Pros/Cons). I would most likely most like go along with it. If it was something I didn't want to do, I would just observe with interest.

8. A new art gallery opens up and your friend wants to go to the grand opening. Both of you analyze all the paintings and sculptures. What about these works warrants the most attention from you? Why?
I would just focus on the aesthetic production. I never focused on anything else unless it was blindingly obvious within the work.

9. You have been saving up and decide to buy a new car. At the dealership, you peruse the lots. What are the criteria and factors that influence your choice? Which one would initially be your main focus?
Initially, I would choose the car that I like the look of the most (model and paint). Next, I would consider the cost and specs of it. Unless it gets less than 20mpg and/or has the possibility of breaking down often, I'm going for my main focus.

10. Yep, you now have a kid (sex of your choosing)! Years pass and they are now 15 years old. You notice their personality traits are the complete opposite of how you were when at their age. Describe how they are. Describe the possible conflicts that would arise between both of you due to differing temperaments.
Wow, we would not get along if we were the same age. She would be bookish (always reading), often takes the moral high horse stance, hates conflict, quiet; all the time. As for problems that might develop, she would probably scold me over my indifference on topics that's she's passionate for. I would probably need to teach her that sometimes one has to restrain her personal sentiments to get a desired result.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP might be very possible, though ESTP is not bad either. Out of the two, which is mostly your issue?

Figure A: Become insecure and paranoid (imagine others are conspiring against them), withdrawn, and overly serious, with a tendency to worry about the future.

Figure B: Will erupt with uncontrolled emotions, complain endlessly about others’ incompetence, and feel victimized through criticism or imaginary sabotage.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTP might be very possible, though ESTP is not bad either. Out of the two, which is mostly your issue?

B is pretty common. Especially when others keep saying my way won't work. I don't complain endlessly though, just a second long gripe.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
B is pretty common. Especially when others keep saying my way won't work. I don't complain endlessly though, just a second long gripe.

I'm quite certain that you're an ISTP, then. Try it out and see how it fits for the next couple of weeks.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm quite certain that you're an ISTP, then. Try it out and see how it fits for the next couple of weeks.

And I will. Thank you for taking time with this. I suppose I have to sell my car now for a bike, huh?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=29903]Mayflower[/MENTION]

I don't know what you are but what you describe makes sense to me. ;) Does anything in this link ring true?

ISTP - Cognitive Function Theory

I would concentrate on the inferior Fe reading.

Most of it sounds right. What is said about inferior Fe is quite me in terms of not thinking about my own emotions/values and desire for affirmation. People also commonly note that I'm passive-aggressive. As for Ti (assuming it to be that) I just observe the situation to gauge what is happening. I'm the type of person that is fine with observing as long as it is interesting. When I do participate, I like to show off my talent (intelligence and physical skill). However, it has to be noted that I'm not a "logical" person per say. I just do things the way that make sense for me. Looking back, I tend to get really snappy when my methods are questioned or I feel someone is insinuating that I'm dumb. Oddly, I don't feel like I have Fe as inferior, but I was raised in a Fe-heavy region so is it possible that lead it being developed?

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of it sounds right. What is said about inferior Fe is quite me in terms of not thinking about my own emotions/values and desire for affirmation. People also commonly note that I'm passive-aggressive. As for Ti (assuming it to be that) I just observe the situation to gauge what is happening. I'm the type of person that is fine with observing as long as it is interesting. When I do participate, I like to show off my talent (intelligence and physical skill). However, it has to be noted that I'm not a "logical" person per say. I just do things the way that make sense for me. Looking back, I tend to get really snappy when my methods are questioned or I feel someone is insinuating that I'm dumb. Oddly, I don't feel like I have Fe as inferior, but I was raised in a Fe-heavy region so is it possible that lead it being developed?

I'm with you on not a "logical" person. Logic is a guiding force but not an all ruling one. I don't measure my action whether something is logical or not. That's not how I think but more like, does this action make sense for the given situation? It's more flexible, like you said. Yet, as I'm writing this, I thought about what constitutes stupidity in my book. I think someone is stupid when they miss critical information that's right in front of them, don't listen, go in over their head. That's not "logical" to me. I think this is common sense. I call it "common dense" as someone always corrects me that common sense isn't that common. Well. Ok. Then. Let's call it what it is. :)

So, yeah. Strange relationship with it.

How old are you, btw?

Do you know your Enneagram?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm with you on not a "logical" person. Logic is a guiding force but not an all ruling one. I don't measure my action whether something is logical or not. That's not how I think but more like, does this action make sense for the given situation? It's more flexible, like you said. Yet, as I'm writing this, I thought about what constitutes stupidity in my book. I think someone is stupid when they miss critical information that's right in front of them, don't listen, go in over their head. That's not "logical" to me. I think this is common sense. I call it "common dense" as someone always corrects me that common sense isn't that common. Well. Ok. Then. Let's call it what it is. :)

So, yeah. Strange relationship with it.

How old are you, btw?

Do you know your Enneagram?
My thought process is similar to yours. It's not logic but a "situational understanding" that I use that I deem will have the best effect. I share the same sentiments toward this "stupidity" but I would have to add that to me this would include people who fail to adapt to the situation; go by the book if you will. Systems are necessary but if I deem it "useless", I'll do it my own way.

Enneagram: I use to say 9w8, but after studying, 9 is not my main focus. After asking, many say 7w6 but I've been leaning 6w7 lately.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My thought process is similar to yours. It's not logic but a "situational understanding" that I use that I deem will have the best effect. I share the same sentiments toward this "stupidity" but I would have to add that to me this would include people who fail to adapt to the situation; go by the book if you will. Systems are necessary but if I deem it "useless", I'll do it my own way.

Enneagram: I use to say 9w8, but after studying, 9 is not my main focus. After asking, many say 7w6 but I've been leaning 6w7 lately.

I was thinking 9 definitely somewhere but that's based on superficial interaction. What makes you say 6w7 lately?

Also, what about Ti do you identify with and not?

Same question for Fi....

Do you often test ISxP?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=5223]MDP2525[/MENTION]

For Ti, I relate in terms of impersonal analysis. I don't really imbue the situation with value, just observe what is happening and figure out what to do (if it concerns me). I thought Te was a possibility but I don't really rely on objective measure or analysis.

After studying a bit, I don't relate to Fi. I don't even think about values so how can I follow them?

As for tests, I get ESTP mostly, ISTP, then ISFP.

For ennegram, No real reason for 6w7. In that department, I just rely on other's advice. I use to study it, but it's been a while. I got into again, and discerned that I not really a 7 ( to my knowledge). Maybe I should stick to 9w8 for the time being.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
ESTP.

Here is some Ni:
Focus in life: I have a "go with the wind" mentality. I don't really have any plans or goals. I just live one day at a time. Relatives constantly state that I'm "coasting". No ideals other than to enjoy life. Career wise, probably working on cars; focusing on the aesthetic aspects.

It's Ni based, but what you express still has those Se live-in-the-moment qualities.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESTP.

Here is some Ni:

It's Ni based, but what you express still has those Se live-in-the-moment qualities.

Thank you. I guess it's down to XSTP. You're a Ni dom. I'm curious, what is Ni to you? What is it's main perspective of it? You're insight may help whether I have tertiary or inferior Ni.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Thank you. I guess it's down to XSTP. You're a Ni dom. I'm curious, what is Ni to you? What is it's main perspective of it? You're insight may help whether I have tertiary or inferior Ni.

Ahh... the main perspective of it is that it's all about perspective. o.o

I try to identify function order in posts, and the lead process of your OP seemed to be perception based, and Ti then Fe worked for the next parts, with the Ni being the fourth.

+ for some more on what Ni is... it's like, a process of discovery - there is a truth, that the mind already knows, so through thinking the patterns gradually emerge

So, unlike Si which may have a pre-prepared response, when I am asked "what is Ni?" I think, ok "Ni!" and pieces will begin to emerge, since I already know what Ni is fairly decently, but cannot straight away express it in words

Also, Ni likes fractal/self-referential sort of things, I think, like when I said that its perspective is that it's about perspective, and Ni thinking about Ni

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess the vote is going to ESTP. To nail things down, is there a question you would ask that would help differentiate between the two types?