• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ESFP or ENTJ?

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been typed INTJ (borderline ENTJ) by a MBTI practitioner, and ESFP (SEE) by a person who works with typing people according to the socionics system. I feel like being opposite types in such closely related system doesn't make any sense, and would like to know my best-fit type.
I honestly struggle to see myself as Ni-dom, I know 2 Ni-doms and they Ni a lot harder than I do. I also think that I'm not really an introvert, but a somewhat traumatized extrovert.
I personally feel like I use a lot of Te and Se, and the socionics person agreed. So, assuming that I'm using my 1st and 3rd function, and am either ESFP or ENTJ.

How do I determine which is the better fit? Please help!

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In case it helps, my enneagram tritype is 8w7 3w4 6w5 (sx/sp)

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you're not an ENTP? :thinking:

edit: and have you ever tested as an ISTP/ESTP before? And when was the last time you had a religious experience, or an event in your life that happened for a "reason"?

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you're not an ENTP? :thinking:

edit: and have you ever tested as an ISTP/ESTP before? And when was the last time you had a religious experience, or an event in your life that happened for a "reason"?

Thank you for your input!

It has been suggested to me that I could be a Ne-dom, but I don't feel like I have very good use of Ne in everyday life. What use of Ne I have is mostly a learned skill, not something innate.
In tests focusing on the dichotomies, I never test as P-types, but I've tested as ESTP in functional tests (more rarely than ENTJ, though).
I've never been typed as any feeling type in any test.

I've been raised by 2 atheists, and I would say that the only deeply religious experiences I've had was on hallucinogenics.
As far as things happening for a "reason" goes... I see most things in life as learning experiences, but I don't think there's really a plan. I frequently consider how perfectly a certain situation taught me a valuable lesson etc.
A couple of weeks ago I had a profound "Ahaa, it all makes sense - x and z and p and q all lead to y!"-moment, while meditating (sober, haha). It doesn't happen very often, maybe (very roughly estimated) once or twice a month on average?

I wasn't even aware that that's the correct way of writing it (even though I recognize seeing it) - I'm not very well read on socionics at all! But I'm not ruling out the possibility of that lack of awareness of the correct format being a tell-tale sign of me not being a Te-dom.

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Welcome Taraxein!

In your situation it can't hurt to look at the inferior function.

How Functions Work: Inferior Fi (ESTJ/ENTJ) - Cognitive Function Theory
How Functions Work: Inferior Ni (ESTP/ESFP) - Cognitive Function Theory

These resources are pretty good. See with which one you identify more.

I've read them both through, and I relate a lot to both of them!
Both of the section about potential emotional triggers are things I'd react to. I'm slightly leaning toward relating to the description of inferior Ni more, but I'll have to re-read it and think some more about it.

Thank you again!

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you for your input!

It has been suggested to me that I could be a Ne-dom, but I don't feel like I have very good use of Ne in everyday life. What use of Ne I have is mostly a learned skill, not something innate.
In tests focusing on the dichotomies, I never test as P-types, but I've tested as ESTP in functional tests (more rarely than ENTJ, though).
I've never been typed as any feeling type in any test.

I've been raised by 2 atheists, and I would say that the only deeply religious experiences I've had was on hallucinogenics.
As far as things happening for a "reason" goes... I see most things in life as learning experiences, but I don't think there's really a plan. I frequently consider how perfectly a certain situation taught me a valuable lesson etc.
A couple of weeks ago I had a profound "Ahaa, it all makes sense - x and z and p and q all lead to y!"-moment, while meditating (sober, haha). It doesn't happen very often, maybe (very roughly estimated) once or twice a month on average?

I wasn't even aware that that's the correct way of writing it (even though I recognize seeing it) - I'm not very well read on socionics at all! But I'm not ruling out the possibility of that lack of awareness of the correct format being a tell-tale sign of me not being a Te-dom.

So far I would say you seem pretty much TJ for now.

When you are with the socionics person, in which state are you?

Focuses more onPrimary BehaviorSecondary Behavior
acquiring powerenergetic and funloyalty / suspicion
acquiring powerenergetic and funcontrol / intimidation
acquiring powercontrol / intimidationenergetic and fun

I wonder if your socionics person thought that you were a SEE, because apparently SEE appears T-like to introverts.

But from what you have explained how things happen to you later, when they make sense, seems very NTJ like, so ENTJ is probably a better fit, based on how often you are having these aha! moments. Also the next question would be then, do you shy away from people who display emotions, or perceive it as negative? Or do you approach it?

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So far I would say you seem pretty much TJ for now.

When you are with the socionics person, in which state are you?

Focuses more onPrimary BehaviorSecondary Behavior
acquiring powerenergetic and funloyalty / suspicion
acquiring powerenergetic and funcontrol / intimidation
acquiring powercontrol / intimidationenergetic and fun

I wonder if your socionics person thought that you were a SEE, because apparently SEE appears T-like to introverts.

But from what you have explained how things happen to you later, when they make sense, seems very NTJ like, so ENTJ is probably a better fit, based on how often you are having these aha! moments. Also the next question would be then, do you shy away from people who display emotions, or perceive it as negative? Or do you approach it?

When I talked to the socionics person, I was feeling curious and enthusiastic. I guess in that situation I would say that "energetic and fun" best describes my primary behaviour, and I'll go for "control/intimidation" as the secondary. If it matters, the socionics typer was an INTJ, backed up by an ESTP who read through our conversation and added a comment here and there.

While I see emotions as an integral part of life, people who display emotions "loudly" make me uncomfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance for others displaying anger, but people showing sadness, anxiety or even intense restlessness or intense joy tend to make me uncomfortable. I have tried to analyze this, and think it might be because of my inability to match their emotional level - I feel that I'm creating lacking rapport and like I'm unable to fix it. I'm almost always in a good mood, and have an even energy level - I will never be the person who literally jumps up and down with my female friends to celebrate!
I also struggle relating to some of my friends' insecurities or anxieties, and while I want to be there for them and try to listen, I don't know what to do or say since I don't really understand what they're going through, and don't want to imply that they're being irrational.
(And while I know logically that feelings don't always make sense, I strongly prefer when they do, haha!)

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I talked to the socionics person, I was feeling curious and enthusiastic. I guess in that situation I would say that "energetic and fun" best describes my primary behaviour, and I'll go for "control/intimidation" as the secondary. If it matters, the socionics typer was an INTJ, backed up by an ESTP who read through our conversation and added a comment here and there.

While I see emotions as an integral part of life, people who display emotions "loudly" make me uncomfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance for others displaying anger, but people showing sadness, anxiety or even intense restlessness or intense joy tend to make me uncomfortable. I have tried to analyze this, and think it might be because of my inability to match their emotional level - I feel that I'm creating lacking rapport and like I'm unable to fix it. I'm almost always in a good mood, and have an even energy level - I will never be the person who literally jumps up and down with my female friends to celebrate!
I also struggle relating to some of my friends' insecurities or anxieties, and while I want to be there for them and try to listen, I don't know what to do or say since I don't really understand what they're going through, and don't want to imply that they're being irrational.
(And while I know logically that feelings don't always make sense, I strongly prefer when they do, haha!)

:thinking:

Ok, lets talk about people who do brain storm ideas, what do you do in those instances? Does it make you uncomfortable?

WeddingMood

check out ESFP/ENTJ loops

Se-Te loop dynamics: very impatient and desperate to obtain continuous positive validation through chasing superficial markers of success from the world -> but fails to understand what one really needs from life or contributes to the world, resulting in self-doubt that stokes insecurities about being shallow, boring, inauthentic, purposeless, or insignificant ->

Te-Se loop dynamics: selectively seeks out evidence in support of enforcing standards, chasing selfish goals, or justifying one’s ideas and methods as being intellectually superior -> but cannot understand the deeper meaning and moral implications of one’s actions, resulting in critical failures that stoke underlying anxieties about being spiritually bankrupt and socially incompetent ->

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:thinking:

Ok, lets talk about people who do brain storm ideas, what do you do in those instances? Does it make you uncomfortable?

I typically lean back and listen, and try to evaluate which of the ideas is most likely to actually work out. While brain storming can be a useful tool, I don't necessarily trust what comes out of brain storming to be the best idea.
Brainstorming in itself does not make me uncomfortable, but when people come up with ideas that are just... bad, and want to run with them, I get stressed out. The higher the stakes, the more agitated I'll feel if I don't have some control over the situation or outcome.
Looking at different ideas for the sake of looking at different ideas does not really interest me, but I'm very happy to evaluate one or a few ideas and chart the course.

taraxein

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
check out ESFP/ENTJ loops

Se-Te loop dynamics: very impatient and desperate to obtain continuous positive validation through chasing superficial markers of success from the world -> but fails to understand what one really needs from life or contributes to the world, resulting in self-doubt that stokes insecurities about being shallow, boring, inauthentic, purposeless, or insignificant ->

Te-Se loop dynamics: selectively seeks out evidence in support of enforcing standards, chasing selfish goals, or justifying one’s ideas and methods as being intellectually superior -> but cannot understand the deeper meaning and moral implications of one’s actions, resulting in critical failures that stoke underlying anxieties about being spiritually bankrupt and socially incompetent ->

Thank you! The latter sounds much more like me.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been typed INTJ (borderline ENTJ) by a MBTI practitioner, and ESFP (SEE) by a person who works with typing people according to the socionics system. I feel like being opposite types in such closely related system doesn't make any sense, and would like to know my best-fit type.
I honestly struggle to see myself as Ni-dom, I know 2 Ni-doms and they Ni a lot harder than I do. I also think that I'm not really an introvert, but a somewhat traumatized extrovert.
I personally feel like I use a lot of Te and Se, and the socionics person agreed. So, assuming that I'm using my 1st and 3rd function, and am either ESFP or ENTJ.

How do I determine which is the better fit? Please help!

I type as ENTJ in MBTI. Socionics people mistype me as a socionics Se-dom constantly.