User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: ESFP or ENTJ?

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Default ESFP or ENTJ?

I've been typed INTJ (borderline ENTJ) by a MBTI practitioner, and ESFP (SEE) by a person who works with typing people according to the socionics system. I feel like being opposite types in such closely related system doesn't make any sense, and would like to know my best-fit type.
    I honestly struggle to see myself as Ni-dom, I know 2 Ni-doms and they Ni a lot harder than I do. I also think that I'm not really an introvert, but a somewhat traumatized extrovert.
    I personally feel like I use a lot of Te and Se, and the socionics person agreed. So, assuming that I'm using my 1st and 3rd function, and am either ESFP or ENTJ.

How do I determine which is the better fit? Please help!
    Likes Gone liked this post

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

In case it helps, my enneagram tritype is 8w7 3w4 6w5 (sx/sp)

Welcome Taraxein!

In your situation it can't hurt to look at the inferior function.

How Functions Work: Inferior Fi (ESTJ/ENTJ) - Cognitive Function Theory
    How Functions Work: Inferior Ni (ESTP/ESFP) - Cognitive Function Theory

These resources are pretty good. See with which one you identify more.

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by There View Post
    Welcome Taraxein!

Thank you, I'll take a look!

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

So you're not an ENTP?

edit: and have you ever tested as an ISTP/ESTP before? And when was the last time you had a religious experience, or an event in your life that happened for a "reason"?

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    So you're not an ENTP?

edit: and have you ever tested as an ISTP/ESTP before? And when was the last time you had a religious experience, or an event in your life that happened for a "reason"?

Thank you for your input!

It has been suggested to me that I could be a Ne-dom, but I don't feel like I have very good use of Ne in everyday life. What use of Ne I have is mostly a learned skill, not something innate.
    In tests focusing on the dichotomies, I never test as P-types, but I've tested as ESTP in functional tests (more rarely than ENTJ, though).
    I've never been typed as any feeling type in any test.

I've been raised by 2 atheists, and I would say that the only deeply religious experiences I've had was on hallucinogenics.
    As far as things happening for a "reason" goes... I see most things in life as learning experiences, but I don't think there's really a plan. I frequently consider how perfectly a certain situation taught me a valuable lesson etc.
    A couple of weeks ago I had a profound "Ahaa, it all makes sense - x and z and p and q all lead to y!"-moment, while meditating (sober, haha). It doesn't happen very often, maybe (very roughly estimated) once or twice a month on average?

I wasn't even aware that that's the correct way of writing it (even though I recognize seeing it) - I'm not very well read on socionics at all! But I'm not ruling out the possibility of that lack of awareness of the correct format being a tell-tale sign of me not being a Te-dom.

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by There View Post
    Welcome Taraxein!

I've read them both through, and I relate a lot to both of them!
    Both of the section about potential emotional triggers are things I'd react to. I'm slightly leaning toward relating to the description of inferior Ni more, but I'll have to re-read it and think some more about it.

Thank you again!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by taraxein View Post
    Thank you for your input!

It has been suggested to me that I could be a Ne-dom, but I don't feel like I have very good use of Ne in everyday life. What use of Ne I have is mostly a learned skill, not something innate.
    In tests focusing on the dichotomies, I never test as P-types, but I've tested as ESTP in functional tests (more rarely than ENTJ, though).
    I've never been typed as any feeling type in any test.

I've been raised by 2 atheists, and I would say that the only deeply religious experiences I've had was on hallucinogenics.
    As far as things happening for a "reason" goes... I see most things in life as learning experiences, but I don't think there's really a plan. I frequently consider how perfectly a certain situation taught me a valuable lesson etc.
    A couple of weeks ago I had a profound "Ahaa, it all makes sense - x and z and p and q all lead to y!"-moment, while meditating (sober, haha). It doesn't happen very often, maybe (very roughly estimated) once or twice a month on average?

I wasn't even aware that that's the correct way of writing it (even though I recognize seeing it) - I'm not very well read on socionics at all! But I'm not ruling out the possibility of that lack of awareness of the correct format being a tell-tale sign of me not being a Te-dom.
    So far I would say you seem pretty much TJ for now.

When you are with the socionics person, in which state are you?

Focuses more on Primary Behavior Secondary Behavior
    acquiring power energetic and fun loyalty / suspicion
    acquiring power energetic and fun control / intimidation
    acquiring power control / intimidation energetic and fun

I wonder if your socionics person thought that you were a SEE, because apparently SEE appears T-like to introverts.

But from what you have explained how things happen to you later, when they make sense, seems very NTJ like, so ENTJ is probably a better fit, based on how often you are having these aha! moments. Also the next question would be then, do you shy away from people who display emotions, or perceive it as negative? Or do you approach it?

Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    So far I would say you seem pretty much TJ for now.

When you are with the socionics person, in which state are you?

Focuses more on Primary Behavior Secondary Behavior
    acquiring power energetic and fun loyalty / suspicion
    acquiring power energetic and fun control / intimidation
    acquiring power control / intimidation energetic and fun

I wonder if your socionics person thought that you were a SEE, because apparently SEE appears T-like to introverts.

But from what you have explained how things happen to you later, when they make sense, seems very NTJ like, so ENTJ is probably a better fit, based on how often you are having these aha! moments. Also the next question would be then, do you shy away from people who display emotions, or perceive it as negative? Or do you approach it?

When I talked to the socionics person, I was feeling curious and enthusiastic. I guess in that situation I would say that "energetic and fun" best describes my primary behaviour, and I'll go for "control/intimidation" as the secondary. If it matters, the socionics typer was an INTJ, backed up by an ESTP who read through our conversation and added a comment here and there.

While I see emotions as an integral part of life, people who display emotions "loudly" make me uncomfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance for others displaying anger, but people showing sadness, anxiety or even intense restlessness or intense joy tend to make me uncomfortable. I have tried to analyze this, and think it might be because of my inability to match their emotional level - I feel that I'm creating lacking rapport and like I'm unable to fix it. I'm almost always in a good mood, and have an even energy level - I will never be the person who literally jumps up and down with my female friends to celebrate!
    I also struggle relating to some of my friends' insecurities or anxieties, and while I want to be there for them and try to listen, I don't know what to do or say since I don't really understand what they're going through, and don't want to imply that they're being irrational.
    (And while I know logically that feelings don't always make sense, I strongly prefer when they do, haha!)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by taraxein View Post
    When I talked to the socionics person, I was feeling curious and enthusiastic. I guess in that situation I would say that "energetic and fun" best describes my primary behaviour, and I'll go for "control/intimidation" as the secondary. If it matters, the socionics typer was an INTJ, backed up by an ESTP who read through our conversation and added a comment here and there.

While I see emotions as an integral part of life, people who display emotions "loudly" make me uncomfortable. I have a pretty high tolerance for others displaying anger, but people showing sadness, anxiety or even intense restlessness or intense joy tend to make me uncomfortable. I have tried to analyze this, and think it might be because of my inability to match their emotional level - I feel that I'm creating lacking rapport and like I'm unable to fix it. I'm almost always in a good mood, and have an even energy level - I will never be the person who literally jumps up and down with my female friends to celebrate!
    I also struggle relating to some of my friends' insecurities or anxieties, and while I want to be there for them and try to listen, I don't know what to do or say since I don't really understand what they're going through, and don't want to imply that they're being irrational.
    (And while I know logically that feelings don't always make sense, I strongly prefer when they do, haha!)

Ok, lets talk about people who do brain storm ideas, what do you do in those instances? Does it make you uncomfortable?