• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What if I'm an ISTJ?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lately, I've been questioning my type again. At this point, I can say that I am 100% certain I use Fi, Te, Si, and Ne. I can also say with absolute certainty that I am an introvert. This narrows it down to 2 types: INFP and ISTJ.

Reasons I am question my type (for probably like the 12th time):
1. My Si seems just as prevalent as my Fi, if not more. I go into Fi-Si or Si-Fi loops often, so it's difficult to distinguish which one I actually prefer.
2. I have this "moral obligation" that appeals to both the idealism of INFPs and the dutifulness of ISTJs. I was reading a thread earlier that discussed how ISTJs are likely to do the right thing because they view it as their duty.
3. I'm not sure, but I think I use Te more than I use Ne. When I'm not in an Fi-Si loop and everything is going smoothly, I can easily get projects and assignments done, and am actually pretty enthusiastic about it. I daydream and fantasize often, especially when I am bored, but I rarely follow through on these things. I have also heard that putting things/people into archetypal categories (something I love doing, as well as the reason I love MBTI) is associated with Te.
4. I am closest with sensors, and have drifted away from pretty much all of the intuitive friends I had when I was younger. I am dating an ISTP and my two closest friends are an ISTJ and an ESFP. I especially like the ISTJ, as we regularly have discussions about politics, current events, society, ideas, etc. but we keep it realistic and there is always this common theme of "how things really are."
5. I'm in an Si- and Te-heavy family. My mom is an ISTJ (with lots of STJs and SFJs on her side), and I think my dad is an INTJ (with lots of NTJs and some NFPs on his side).
6. I don't have "traditional" or especially conservative ideals, but I tend to caring about the issues that were prevalent when I was growing up (LGBT rights, for example) and avoid getting involved in these "newer" movements and political trends. Most of the NFs that I know are very progressive (the exception being the ones who are super religious) and often talk about things I don't understand, such as "white feminism," "mansplaining," and "xenophobia."

Reasons I think I might just be a confused INFP after all:
1. I mentioned before that my mom is an ISTJ. We don't get along too well. I get along much better with my dad, who is, without a doubt, an intuitive. He is much more open to discussion and can see both sides of many issues. When I disagree with him, we civilly debate, where as when I disagree with my mom, she assumes that I am "lost" or "immoral."
2. I didn't start hanging out with sensors until recently. For most of my life, my closest friends have been INxx types. I didn't have much in common with any of them, but they just seemed more accepting than everyone else, and I was naturally drawn to them for some reason.
3. I definitely have a lot of Fi and am very focused on self-image and who I am as a person. Even as a kid, I jumped from one over-the-top stereotype to another on a weekly basis because I could never decide on who I wanted to be.
4. I've always been intrigued by fantasy and the idea of things like magic, mythical creatures, and unworldly adventure. I have always found "real life" sort of boring. When I was young, I used to hope that some exciting, mystical thing would happen to me, like being transported to a different dimension or being gifted with healing powers.

I'm not sure how to tag people, so I'll just do this
[MENTION=30122]Brain in a Jar[/MENTION] [MENTION=25892]Smilephantomhive[/MENTION] [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] [MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION] [MENTION=24619]Petrahygen[/MENTION] [MENTION=5583]Eruca[/MENTION] [MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION] [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION]

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lately, I've been questioning my type again. At this point, I can say that I am 100% certain I use Fi, Te, Si, and Ne. I can also say with absolute certainty that I am an introvert. This narrows it down to 2 types: INFP and ISTJ.

Reasons I am question my type (for probably like the 12th time):
1. My Si seems just as prevalent as my Fi, if not more. I go into Fi-Si or Si-Fi loops often, so it's difficult to distinguish which one I actually prefer.
2. I have this "moral obligation" that appeals to both the idealism of INFPs and the dutifulness of ISTJs. I was reading a thread earlier that discussed how ISTJs are likely to do the right thing because they view it as their duty.
3. I'm not sure, but I think I use Te more than I use Ne. When I'm not in an Fi-Si loop and everything is going smoothly, I can easily get projects and assignments done, and am actually pretty enthusiastic about it. I daydream and fantasize often, especially when I am bored, but I rarely follow through on these things. I have also heard that putting things/people into archetypal categories (something I love doing, as well as the reason I love MBTI) is associated with Te.
4. I am closest with sensors, and have drifted away from pretty much all of the intuitive friends I had when I was younger. I am dating an ISTP and my two closest friends are an ISTJ and an ESFP. I especially like the ISTJ, as we regularly have discussions about politics, current events, society, ideas, etc. but we keep it realistic and there is always this common theme of "how things really are."
5. I'm in an Si- and Te-heavy family. My mom is an ISTJ (with lots of STJs and SFJs on her side), and I think my dad is an INTJ (with lots of NTJs and some NFPs on his side).
6. I don't have "traditional" or especially conservative ideals, but I tend to caring about the issues that were prevalent when I was growing up (LGBT rights, for example) and avoid getting involved in these "newer" movements and political trends. Most of the NFs that I know are very progressive (the exception being the ones who are super religious) and often talk about things I don't understand, such as "white feminism," "mansplaining," and "xenophobia."

1. I mentioned before that my mom is an ISTJ. We don't get along too well. I get along much better with my dad, who is, without a doubt, an intuitive. He is much more open to discussion and can see both sides of many issues. When I disagree with him, we civilly debate, where as when I disagree with my mom, she assumes that I am "lost" or "immoral."
2. I didn't start hanging out with sensors until recently. For most of my life, my closest friends have been INxx types. I didn't have much in common with any of them, but they just seemed more accepting than everyone else, and I was naturally drawn to them for some reason.
3. I definitely have a lot of Fi and am very focused on self-image and who I am as a person. Even as a kid, I jumped from one over-the-top stereotype to another on a weekly basis because I could never decide on who I wanted to be.
4. I've always been intrigued by fantasy and the idea of things like magic, mythical creatures, and unworldly adventure. I have always found "real life" sort of boring. When I was young, I used to hope that some exciting, mystical thing would happen to me, like being transported to a different dimension or being gifted with healing powers.

I'm not sure how to tag people, so I'll just do this
[MENTION=30122]Brain in a Jar[/MENTION] [MENTION=25892]Smilephantomhive[/MENTION] [MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION] [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] [MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION] [MENTION=9627]Xann[/MENTION] [MENTION=24619]Petrahygen[/MENTION] [MENTION=5583]Eruca[/MENTION] [MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION] [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION]

Based on general vibe and by the above Id say INFP in Fi-Si loop. Your Si has been very obvious in our interactions as you often compare to past experiences but by far I see far more Fi as personal morals seem to dominate over past impressions. I don't see much Ne from you but virtually little to no Te. The fact you hate SJW stuff isn't type related (Just shows that you are sensible enough to see there are far bigger problems than mansplaining and all that sort of thing). I would say INFP who is building up on Si and using it as a crutch.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think we have enough information here. But yeah political beliefs do not determine mbti type.

Okay so about the moral obligation thing. ISTJs can have some inner idealism, but Te almost always comes first. Like if I have a moral dilemma I will do a cost benefit analysis, and see which option is going to bring the best results with the smallest chances of causing trouble. To do this I sometimes have to compromise with my inner values, and I'm usually okay with that. Sometimes I will be reluctant, but following your beliefs does not always produce the best results. Of course sometimes Fi will veto it if it's something that I strongly believe in.

I think you should spend some time thinking how willing you are to compromise with your values. INFPs can compromise too, but are far less willing than ISTJs. Also maybe revisit some stuff about inferior Ne vs inferior Te.

I hope this helps.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have a sweet rigidity to you, and a need to distance yourself from emotional stuff before you try to handle it from what I've seen...which would be consistent with IxTJ. That said, your 6 could be very much to blame for that and I don't know you that well :ninja:

As an INFP, you'd use Ne to love others - word games, silliness, providing different Fi angles to handle a problem. As an ISTJ, you'd use Te to help others that you love, and express your affection - organising things for them, helping them stick to a schedule, providing them with helpful bullet lists, and so on...so, which is more you? :)

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
FWIW, you've seemed like an intuitive to me. I identify as an ISTJ but I find many SJs, particularly SFJs, less than enjoyable to spend extended time around. How do you think and feel, and how do you use thoughts and feelings?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If you are I'll still like you. I have more to say but in the car.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

I would actually attribute that to either feeling or very strong judgement. I personally see concept of morality (shared values) as Fe quality. ISTJs I know (me included) are not that much a moral guards, as they are rule guards.

Opposites intrigue. I'm not sure if you can tell your type by the people you hang out with.

I actually thought of something similar when I was younger. Each week I'd be someone new. Didn't do that of course since I like being me, but it was an interesting thought play to think of all the challenges it would pose and how I'd solve them.

I almost solely read fiction, mostly epic fiction. I do like my fiction serious rather than light (I like Song of Ice and Fire, Expanse, Wool, but I found Lord of the Rings and Marvel movies boring). I could not imagine myself reading detectives, political thrillers or life stories.

So I don't think that any of these are clear indicators for not being an ISTJ. My type is riddled with poor stereotypes.

PurpleDawn

I have an INFP friend who is quite Te in his ways, but at the end of the day he's still an INFP. If you are indeed an INFP, then it IS your inferior function so It will likely come up quite a bit if you're in a loop.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My observations point to INFP.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I have a lot of ISTJ friends, and compared to them, you're much less Te and much more Fi. In socionics terms, Si is your hidden agenda iirc, which we tend to overcompensate for, which might make you think you're using Si more than you actually do. But those are just from what I can observe over a forum.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah Elia there's hardly a trace of Te that I have ever seen from your posting.

youre more Fe imo. I still believe ISFJ was the right type for you but I'm not willing to completely deny INFP.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I don't see Ne in your writing or your interactions on the forum, like not even a tiny bit.

imo you're definitely not an INFP, you feel like an I--J type, but beyond that I'd have to read more of your posts to get a better sense of Fe vs Te. My initial reactions to your thread are that Te ruling Fi does feel possible.

After all, every Pi dom I know thinks they are strong in their tertiary function, so you feeling similarly follows the pattern.