• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Back to introvert? Help me please

Gone

I keep having doubts on my type.
Right now I'm considering introversion which is a thought I thought I had abandoned... The main reason is that I am one of the most silent people you can imagine. I enjoy company, and usually it doesn't drain me (only when it's especially boring or people I actively dislike or if they spew utter bullshit and I have to hold back so hard because of social obligations), but I'd much rather listen than talk. People tend to notice that and don't even expect me talking anymore. So if I want to actually say something, I often don't get the chance to because everyone just continues talking and so on... and I don't want to interrupt, and then the conversation has gone on to another topic, so if it's not important I just say nothing and think of something new I could contribute.

So I wanted to ask, what do I seem to be?
I still consider Ne+Ti to be the most fitting combination of cognitive functions, but I don't identify with the usual ENTP type descriptions. INTP then? But I'm pretty positive I'm not a Ti-dom. ISFJ? I can't relate at all to inferior Ne. Something else entirely?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Don't focus so much on the functions. Simply ask, am I an introvert or an extrovert? Do you focus more on what's going on inside your head or what's going on around you? Do you find people draining or stimulating?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Right now I'm considering introversion which is a thought I thought I had abandoned... The main reason is that I am one of the most silent people you can imagine. I enjoy company, and usually it doesn't drain me (only when it's especially boring or people I actively dislike or if they spew utter bullshit and I have to hold back so hard because of social obligations), but I'd much rather listen than talk. People tend to notice that and don't even expect me talking anymore. So if I want to actually say something, I often don't get the chance to because everyone just continues talking and so on... and I don't want to interrupt, and then the conversation has gone on to another topic, so if it's not important I just say nothing and think of something new I could contribute.

So I wanted to ask, what do I seem to be?
I still consider Ne+Ti to be the most fitting combination of cognitive functions, but I don't identify with the usual ENTP type descriptions. INTP then? But I'm pretty positive I'm not a Ti-dom. ISFJ? I can't relate at all to inferior Ne. Something else entirely?

It seems like me you are stuck between all the alpha quadrant types. I am pretty quiet unless i am really interested in the topics being talked about then i become so motor mouthed that i could easily break gravity on a vielece just from the energy generated from my mouth. From our interactions you seem xNTP to me as i see clear Ne in our conversations with Ti. I also see some Si as well as you seem one to reflect on the past and use sensory archetypes (comparing Anakin and Ren as being both whiny and emo) so i am leaning INTP but ENTP also works. I probably come across as a right chatter box on here but only because the topics on here are really interesting. I would rather talk about poltics, time travel, typoloyg than about what you had for dinner or what x said to y last night as that is boring.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
your first paragraph sounds like how things go for me with many of the people i know... my entp brother seems to land in the same situation at times... despite our similarity (in many more things than this) it is obvious to me that we aren't mistyped (though admitedly, his interest in typology extends to "i'll take your test")... if you feel like an extrovert you are... the volume you speak in a group isn't the metric that measures these things...

Gone

Many thanks for your answers!

Don't focus so much on the functions. Simply ask, am I an introvert or an extrovert? Do you focus more on what's going on inside your head or what's going on around you? Do you find people draining or stimulating?

I already did, but I don't seem to be able to find a convincing answer. In behaviour I'm mostly a stereotypical introvert, but I do need my outside stimulation. I need people, I just don't have to actively contribute to conversations. People give me energy, after socializing I often have more energy than I need and I have to wind down a little.

What exactly do you mean by focus? Pay attention to? Oof... I have phases of each. I'm fluctuating between being horribly absent minded and not noticing anything and spotting the tiniest changes or mistakes.

It seems like me you are stuck between all the alpha quadrant types. I am pretty quiet unless i am really interested in the topics being talked about then i become so motor mouthed that i could easily break gravity on a vielece just from the energy generated from my mouth. From our interactions you seem xNTP to me as i see clear Ne in our conversations with Ti. I also see some Si as well as you seem one to reflect on the past and use sensory archetypes (comparing Anakin and Ren as being both whiny and emo) so i am leaning INTP but ENTP also works. I probably come across as a right chatter box on here but only because the topics on here are really interesting. I would rather talk about poltics, time travel, typoloyg than about what you had for dinner or what x said to y last night as that is boring.

Yeah that's it. I could make a partly convincing case for any of those^^
Don't you dare breaking gravity! It's actually pretty useful. To think I'd have to glue all my things I normally just keep strewn around the room to the wall or something... *shudders* Please no. But if you could just decrease the effects of gravity a little... that would be great. I'm still dreaming about mechanical wings. Or gliders.
I don't mind "boring" topics, as I find some of the "mundane" things to be quite fascinating. Also I could talk all day about food. I actually think it's easier to contribute to such topics, or, let's say, safer. In theory I love throwing ideas and theories around and hear what other people think of them, in reality there's always this one person who blocks them without even thinking about it, that really spoils the fun. I often don't feel prepared for "deeper" topics, as I have plenty of interests but not enough time to research them all thoroughly, and I usually need time to form an opinion, because I tend to take a lot of things into account. (In real time, that is. Talk to me about whatever you want on the internet. Responses may take a while but you will get one.)
Out of curiosity, where would you place my Fe?

your first paragraph sounds like how things go for me with many of the people i know... my entp brother seems to land in the same situation at times... despite our similarity (in many more things than this) it is obvious to me that we aren't mistyped (though admitedly, his interest in typology extends to "i'll take your test")... if you feel like an extrovert you are... the volume you speak in a group isn't the metric that measures these things...

That's true. Thank you.
Thing is, how does an extrovert feel? How does an introvert feel? I have nothing to compare to, except bazillion of descriptions on the internet, and these are so many that they keep confusing me further. I think I just need to (re)gain trust in my own framework... my ability to understand things and form opinions. Can't rely on people to tell me everything.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Many thanks for your answers!

I already did, but I don't seem to be able to find a convincing answer. In behaviour I'm mostly a stereotypical introvert, but I do need my outside stimulation. I need people, I just don't have to actively contribute to conversations. People give me energy, after socializing I often have more energy than I need and I have to wind down a little.

What exactly do you mean by focus? Pay attention to? Oof... I have phases of each. I'm fluctuating between being horribly absent minded and not noticing anything and spotting the tiniest changes or mistakes.

Yeah that's it. I could make a partly convincing case for any of those^^
Don't you dare breaking gravity! It's actually pretty useful. To think I'd have to glue all my things I normally just keep strewn around the room to the wall or something... *shudders* Please no. But if you could just decrease the effects of gravity a little... that would be great. I'm still dreaming about mechanical wings. Or gliders.
I don't mind "boring" topics, as I find some of the "mundane" things to be quite fascinating. Also I could talk all day about food. I actually think it's easier to contribute to such topics, or, let's say, safer. In theory I love throwing ideas and theories around and hear what other people think of them, in reality there's always this one person who blocks them without even thinking about it, that really spoils the fun. I often don't feel prepared for "deeper" topics, as I have plenty of interests but not enough time to research them all thoroughly, and I usually need time to form an opinion, because I tend to take a lot of things into account. (In real time, that is. Talk to me about whatever you want on the internet. Responses may take a while but you will get one.)
Out of curiosity, where would you place my Fe?

That's true. Thank you.
Thing is, how does an extrovert feel? How does an introvert feel? I have nothing to compare to, except bazillion of descriptions on the internet, and these are so many that they keep confusing me further. I think I just need to (re)gain trust in my own framework... my ability to understand things and form opinions. Can't rely on people to tell me everything.

Your Fe is at least tert I would say as you dont strike me as someone who has issues with social norms plus your Ne is also tert or higher as you dont seem to have difficulty with the fairly abstract talk we have had in our convos. I can see many similarities between us two ( I am a little less inclined to talk about small talk than you are and I have preference for theory over details but otherwise broadly similar).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

First, why is this so worrisome? I see it asked all the time, I'm not sure why it matters. Second, no you can't rely on people to tell you everything and you may have to sit with this for awhile by yourself to figure it out. Why is it impossible to be somewhere in the middle of E and I, depending on the situation or the people involved?

Gone

First, why is this so worrisome? I see it asked all the time, I'm not sure why it matters. Second, no you can't rely on people to tell you everything and you may have to sit with this for awhile by yourself to figure it out. Why is it impossible to be somewhere in the middle of E and I, depending on the situation or the people involved?

Not impossible but clear answers seem to be preferable. Typology itself seems to be pretty binary, in theory at least. I know the world isn't as simple as that, I just tend to overlook that, especially when thinking about typology with all of its generalizations.
Thank you for reminding me of that.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
The main reason is that I am one of the most silent people you can imagine.
Introversion/Extroversion in typology has to do with the order of your functions. It's not about how silent you are, or how comfortable you are around people, which would be social introversion or extroversion.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

^ this...

Gone

Introversion/Extroversion in typology has to do with the order of your functions. It's not about how silent you are, or how comfortable you are around people, which would be social introversion or extroversion.
So, let's go back to the basics.
Which functions do you tend to use?
Why do you think that you could neither be INTP or ISFJ?

[A good one I've found is just take a Big Five personality test and compare the results.]

Yeah I took a lot of different tests, including a Big Five one or two, all telling me I'm an introvert. The only exception is Highlander's Keirsey-Jung-Test where my highest scores are Ne+Fe, then Ti. All of the others are INTP with the occasional INFP and INTJ. Similarminds is usually Ti >= Ne > Fe > Si (as for the shadow functions, Fi is usually lowest, then Se. Ni is lower than Ne but not much, Te is lower than Fe.) I know many tests only measure social intro/extroversion, but in many cases there's a correlation between social and cognitive orientation, so that's enough reason for me to question and possibly reassess things.
The main question in this case is, can I ignore all those test results in favour of a single one which happens to fit my understanding of things? I thought I could, but the doubt is not eliminated that easily.