• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's Your Opinion of My Type Based on My Video?

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi Everyone,

I made a video for the Neojungian Academy to type me....so I was thinking it would be good to share here since I really respect some of the feedback that I've gotten from members here before when I had questions.

The questions I answered were from his list...but hopefully it would be good enough to get a good read. I think I'm at my core I'm an ISFP...but maybe present as a falsified thinker type because of my sensitivity????

Please be gentle...I already felt like sh*t because I looked so horrible. :(

p.s.....I go back and forth between a 469 tritype and 269...not necessarily in that order though.

Last edited:

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=30290]Xena[/MENTION]

Excellent video. I've never heard any accounts on Dario's brain scans, other than from his videos. So that was really interesting to me.

My first thought from what you said about interpersonal navigation being a stressor to you, is that it sounds like inferior Fe, not Dominant Fi. Just my perspective though. It would also account for the scan showing up more ISTP/INFJ-like, because they both value Ti and Ni.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hi Everyone,

I think I'm at my core I'm an ISFP...but maybe present as a falsified thinker type because of my sensitivity????
So how did you decide that your type is ISFP?

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So how did you decide that your type is ISFP?

I am not emotionally detached and objective. I'm easily hurt and extremely sensitive to others' suffering. The only class I ever got an 'F' in was a Digital Circuit Theory class that I took when I briefly wanted to be an Electronics Engineering major. It was very heavy logic based...("and","or" gates, etc.)

I don't see me doing any kind of emotional expression of Fi...and I'm not soft and able to fit in like other female feelers though. I may not look like it, but I care deeply about people...I just don't know how to help them, what to say, and I'm not comfortable being in that role.

I can understand how someone would feel based off of how I feel in a similar situation. I see beauty in things like an amazing singer's talent...dogs bringing happiness to the people who love them, the unending love between people. And I'm not sure if it's because I'm HSP....but I've never met anyone that responds to things quite the way I do.

When my little sister was born, I was in the delivery room with my mom (I'm 23 yrs older than my sister)....and when she was born, the profoundness of a new life coming into the world overwhelmed me. My mom's doctor asked me if I was okay (which was embarassing since my mom was a high-risk pregnancy and just gave birth, but I'm the one falling apart. :blush:)

I don't see how those experiences are necessarily me referencing my values.... it just happens automatically without me thinking much about it. With logic, it seems like I really have to try sometimes.

The brain scan revealed what Dario assumed to be INFJ because of the strong starburst pattern....but when you look at the connections...what that tells me is that my innate preferences were feeling, though through the years I've put more emphasis on the thinking portions of my brain.

I wanted to be a thinker growing up....seen as smart. I looked up to smart people so much....and I loved it when I was praised for it as well. Plus, I didn't understand other kids as much or find what they did interesting for the most part (mostly girls though). So I had motivation to try and grow my thinking side.

My INFP ex thinks I'm an ISTP female and living in the grip, and that would explain the isolation I felt as a child from other girls.

And I do seem to be able to fix things better than most people at work, but maybe that's just an intelligence thing and not necessarily because of Ti...idk. I don't know if I'm as good as an ISTP though. However my INTJ brother built the motherboard on my computer wrong one time and somehow I was able to just intuitively know it was the jumpers being reversed that caused the usb to spark. It's not like I studied it intensively or anything, or could even explain to anyone how I figured it out. I just knew that jumpers controlled the flow of electricity somehow and I messed with it to see what would happen if I switched them...and it worked. Maybe I just got lucky? ;)

Brain Emphasis.JPGStarburst Pattern.JPG

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am not emotionally detached and objective. I'm easily hurt and extremely sensitive to others' suffering. The only class I ever got an 'F' in was a Digital Circuit Theory class that I took when I briefly wanted to be an Electronics Engineering major. It was very heavy logic based...("and","or" gates, etc.)

I don't see me doing any kind of emotional expression of Fi...and I'm not soft and able to fit in like other female feelers though. I may not look like it, but I care deeply about people...I just don't know how to help them, what to say, and I'm not comfortable being in that role.

I can understand how someone would feel based off of how I feel in a similar situation. I see beauty in things like an amazing singer's talent...dogs bringing happiness to the people who love them, the unending love between people. And I'm not sure if it's because I'm HSP....but I've never met anyone that responds to things quite the way I do.

When my little sister was born, I was in the delivery room with my mom (I'm 23 yrs older than my sister)....and when she was born, the profoundness of a new life coming into the world overwhelmed me. My mom's doctor asked me if I was okay (which was embarassing since my mom was a high-risk pregnancy and just gave birth, but I'm the one falling apart. :blush:)

I don't see how those experiences are necessarily me referencing my values.... it just happens automatically without me thinking much about it. With logic, it seems like I really have to try sometimes.

The brain scan revealed what Dario assumed to be INFJ because of the strong starburst pattern....but when you look at the connections...what that tells me is that my innate preferences were feeling, though through the years I've put more emphasis on the thinking portions of my brain.

I wanted to be a thinker growing up....seen as smart. I looked up to smart people so much....and I loved it when I was praised for it as well. Plus, I didn't understand other kids as much or find what they did interesting for the most part (mostly girls though). So I had motivation to try and grow my thinking side.

My INFP ex thinks I'm an ISTP female and living in the grip, and that would explain the isolation I felt as a child from other girls.

And I do seem to be able to fix things better than most people at work, but maybe that's just an intelligence thing and not necessarily because of Ti...idk. I don't know if I'm as good as an ISTP though. However my INTJ brother built the motherboard on my computer wrong one time and somehow I was able to just intuitively know it was the jumpers being reversed that caused the usb to spark. It's not like I studied it intensively or anything, or could even explain to anyone how I figured it out. I just knew that jumpers controlled the flow of electricity somehow and I messed with it to see what would happen if I switched them...and it worked. Maybe I just got lucky? ;)

Thanks for all the info, though it doesn't quite answer my question. What I was wondering was if you had come to some conclusions about your personality type based on cognitive functions etc. For example ISFP would have Fi as the dominant function, did you relate to the descriptions of Fi... etc

Are you aware that your answer to my question was a rambling, disjointed post?

You say that you don't see yourself doing any kind of emotional expression of Fi. So I'd just like to point out that Fi is internal and not generally expressive outwardly.

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I answered how I came to the conclusion of ISFP. I didn't realize there was a pre-formed template I needed to conform to.
Im quite aware that ISFP uses Fi, and it is an internal subjective rational function, that would most likely manifest in Se expressions, to which I claimed I do not do. There's a reason they are called "The Artists"....

The main thing about Fi I relate to is that I can self-reference my own emotions to understand how others would feel. AND Fi types are known as "still waters run deep" which is also me. Plus, I'm extremely sensitive....something Fi is also known for.

I dont know what else to say so that your questions are properly answered.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I answered how I came to the conclusion of ISFP. I didn't realize there was a pre-formed template I needed to conform to.
The reason that I asked the question was because I genuinely wanted to know how aware you were of the way you express yourself. You believe that self-referencing your emotions to understand others and being sensitive says something about one of the cognitive functions that you prefer, in this case Fi. Do you suppose that the way you express yourself also says something about your cognitive functions....

The main thing about Fi I relate to is that I can self-reference my own emotions to understand how others would feel. AND Fi types are known as "still waters run deep" which is also me. Plus, I'm extremely sensitive....something Fi is also known for.

I dont know what else to say so that your questions are properly answered.
This clarifies how you see yourself using Fi. How do you relate to Se, since these two would be the first two functions for ISFP.

I assume that you are not that confident about ISFP otherwise you wouldn't have made this thread. What is it that makes you undecided?

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you suppose that the way you express yourself also says something about your cognitive functions....
Are you saying that my writing style being rambling and disjointed wasn't a criticism, but you were pointing out how the lack of structure would point to inferior Te? I think I ramble because I'm not sure what will "stick" or answer the question the best way....so I try to cover all the bases. And I don't have structure in my thoughts or writing...or my life for that matter, lol.

I assume that you are not that confident about ISFP otherwise you wouldn't have made this thread. What is it that makes you undecided?
My ex that lives with me keeps telling me there's no way I could be an ISFP....even though I told her about the self-referencing, logic isn't fun for me, and I'm extremely sensitive.... and since I feel atypical compared to other women. I think I was hoping someone would see the video and confirm that they also see Fi dom....

I see Se in the way I live in the present. I can adapt and alter my environment depending on the circumstances. I react quickly in response to the environment. I'm somewhat aggressive and competitive, and my favorite things are all sensual. In crisis situations, I'm calm and do what needs to be done. I don't plan ahead either.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you saying that my writing style being rambling and disjointed wasn't a criticism, but you were pointing out how the lack of structure would point to inferior Te? I think I ramble because I'm not sure what will "stick" or answer the question the best way....so I try to cover all the bases. And I don't have structure in my thoughts or writing...or my life for that matter, lol.
No, it wasn't a criticism, and I was not pointing out Te. Do you suppose not having structure in your life tells you anything about your personality type?

My ex that lives with me keeps telling me there's no way I could be an ISFP....even though I told her about the self-referencing, logic isn't fun for me, and I'm extremely sensitive.... and since I feel atypical compared to other women. I think I was hoping someone would see the video and confirm that they also see Fi dom....
I understand you are looking for confirmation of Fi, and I won't confirm it either way. I think it'll be better if you can confirm your type for yourself. I'm just pointing out things that you may or may not be aware of...
Sounds coy doesn't it, but I'm not trying to be coy, I just don't think that you will be convinced simply because I confirm anything to you.

I see Se in the way I live in the present. I can adapt and alter my environment depending on the circumstances. I react quickly in response to the environment. I'm somewhat aggressive and competitive, and my favorite things are all sensual. In crisis situations, I'm calm and do what needs to be done. I don't plan ahead either.
I know that a lot of people usually associate certain behaviour with certain functions or types, but any type can behave in a certain way. What's more important is why they engage in a behaviour, so it's necessary to look deeper than simply going by the fact that your favourite things are sensual.

Now since you say that you can relate to Fi and Se, are there any other functions that you can relate to with the same strength?

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, it wasn't a criticism, and I was not pointing out Te. Do you suppose not having structure in your life tells you anything about your personality type? I understand you are looking for confirmation of Fi, and I won't confirm it either way. I think it'll be better if you can confirm your type for yourself. I'm just pointing out things that you may or may not be aware of... Sounds coy doesn't it, but I'm not trying to be coy, I just don't think that you will be convinced simply because I confirm anything to you. I know that a lot of people usually associate certain behaviour with certain functions or types, but any type can behave in a certain way. What's more important is why they engage in a behaviour, so it's necessary to look deeper than simply going by the fact that your favourite things are sensual. Now since you say that you can relate to Fi and Se, are there any other functions that you can relate to with the same strength?

I think the consistent lack of structure is because I prefer freedom in my outer world. I see no desire to usually order my environment because I'm able to just adapt to it however it is. Structure feels confining and a little like prison...limiting my ability to pursue opportunities as they arise.

You're probably right about it needing to come from me. It's hard when someone close to you doesn't see you as the person you think you are. But then again, she thought my daughter was an ENFP after I kept telling her she as an ESFJ, and it took over a year but she finally came around. She's just now believing I'm an ISP instead of an INFJ. I don't think she really sees the true me because I don't reveal a lot about my emotions if I can help it. And even when I do try to express them....they come out so filtered. I feel so much emotion sometimes, and it surprises me at times when I listen to myself on video and I sound a lot like a robot.

I guess i like sensual things because they make me feel happy. I enjoy those things, so I pursue them. I love to extract as much joy at of pleasure as I can... I consider myself a moral hedonist.

I understand what you mean by looking at the underlying motivations for the behaviors. It's so much easier for me to see the behaviors than the deeper impetus that drives them.

I relate to Ni as well, and I find myself going to that function quite often. It's strong in some areas for me, but I don't want to live in the future...it's too uncertain to me. The present is here now and I deal with it mostly as it comes. I would be quite unhappy if I always had to live in the future like my INTJ brother does. I need more excitement.

I think my ability in Fi is greater than Ti... or any other judging function for that matter. I have to try hard to be as good in Ti like a Ti dom. I took some logic tests to see what I would get and although I scored well, I didn't score as well as the two INTP's that took it. And they enjoyed it, while I hated it.

So i think that somwhere along the line, maybe my function development got altered, or I hid my feeling side due to vulnerability.....but I think I'm an ISFP.... just an atypical one.
I had to type this on my phone...sorry for the rambling and disjointed writing again.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I relate to Ni as well, and I find myself going to that function quite often. It's strong in some areas for me, but I don't want to live in the future...it's too uncertain to me. The present is here now and I deal with it mostly as it comes. I would be quite unhappy if I always had to live in the future like my INTJ brother does. I need more excitement.
What kind of excitement do you need?

I think my ability in Fi is greater than Ti... or any other judging function for that matter. I have to try hard to be as good in Ti like a Ti dom. I took some logic tests to see what I would get and although I scored well, I didn't score as well as the two INTP's that took it. And they enjoyed it, while I hated it.
What would the tests look like for you to enjoy it?

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Please be gentle...I already felt like sh*t because I looked so horrible. :)

that is natural (and silly) to worry about... being comfortable with the external shell makes being comfortable with the inner one simpler... i am a bit drunk, so that may explain while i am focusing on minutiae... anyhow, we can't all be derek zoolander, and if we were there would be no place in the world for that sort of person... i am rather silly looking myself, not that i mean to imply that you are...

i don't see why we should have ambiverts and not have the equivalent on the other scales... from what i see here, you ought to stick with isxp...

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What kind of excitement do you need?

This is a really hard question for me to answer because I don't know exactly what it is that I'll find exciting.... I think the common thread seems to be a sense of serendipity and adventure. It feels good to give in to my impulses and let them steer me. Like going for a night out with a partner and discovering a new place to eat, then afterwards stumbling upon a place that plays live music and has amazing ambiance.

Even buying a new gaming system is exciting.... my brother would wait for years before he'd pull the trigger on buying one, but I enjoy diving in and exploring my new system and games that I find fun...mostly sandbox games from Bethesda like Morrowind, Oblivion...etc.

Even playing Rockband at my parent's house on the holidays with my family was exciting. I would love it when we'd play instruments and sing along to the songs...I'd sing until my voice gave out. Finding someone I can sing harmony with is very exciting and satisfying.

My first step-dad was an ESTP and he'd take the family on impromptu road-trips, and I loved it. He liked dangerous excitement though too...like extreme adrenaline rushes, and I did NOT like those.

What would the tests look like for you to enjoy it?

I would like tests that help you find out more about yourself. Even during Dario's experiments...my brain was engaged off the charts at times because it was so much fun discovering more about the way my brain works.

Other than that....I don't know if I find any kind of "tests" fun.

I do enjoy looking at people's vanity plates and trying to uncover what that means about them....I use clues like what kind of car they drive, how old it is, if they have college stickers on there....and figure out what the vanity plate says to piece together who they are. I am pretty confident in my guesses....and one time I had the chance to confirm with someone..and it felt so good to know I got it right. Sometimes I'll use that same guessing to figure out who I should get behind at a red light if I want to be behind someone that goes faster than the other.

If someone could make tests that involved real-world clues to profile someone...I think that would be fun.

Someone once had everyone play the "psychopath" game at a party one time, where you have to figure out why the psychopath did what they did....and that was a lot of fun. (I'm not a psychopath, lol, but I did get it "right" quickly.)

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that is natural (and silly) to worry about... being comfortable with the external shell makes being comfortable with the inner one simpler... i am a bit drunk, so that may explain while i am focusing on minutiae... anyhow, we can't all be derek zoolander, and if we were there would be no place in the world for that sort of person... i am rather silly looking myself, not that i mean to imply that you are...

i don't see why we should have ambiverts and not have the equivalent on the other scales... from what i see here, you ought to stick with isxp...

Lots of insecurity from many years of bullying.... I'm extremely self-conscious.... :)

I actually hate the idea of settling with ISxP because I'd like to have a better understanding...and I don't like ambiguity. I would LOVE to be able to find out the truth and an explanation for how everything fits together. I'm going in circles...but at least all my pacing has landed me correctly on the ISP part. That took a long time to figure out. But the Se/Ni axis I saw right away.

It's the dominant and inferior that feel so elusive.

That's why I was thinking falsification of type and improper function development might explain why I'm having trouble seeing my dominant..

Though, when I think about how I make major decisions that affect the people I love, feelings ALWAYS trump logic.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lots of insecurity from many years of bullying.... I'm extremely self-conscious.... :)

I actually hate the idea of settling with ISxP because I'd like to have a better understanding...and I don't like ambiguity. I would LOVE to be able to find out the truth and an explanation for how everything fits together. I'm going in circles...but at least all my pacing has landed me correctly on the ISP part. That took a long time to figure out. But the Se/Ni axis I saw right away.

It's the dominant and inferior that feel so elusive.

That's why I was thinking falsification of type and improper function development might explain why I'm having trouble seeing my dominant..

Though, when I think about how I make major decisions that affect the people I love, feelings ALWAYS trump logic.

if you don't like ambiguity, typology may not be your thing... it is damned hard to sort people into piles and say "you all match" (if you are honest with yourself and others)... i have a love/hate relationship with ambiguity... i love it when i am the source of it, and hate when i can't cut through it (unless it lets me do whatever i please)...

if you think of x as a third position instead of a missing piece it may make things easier for you, though i wouldn't presume to say more accurate... only you knows you...

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I do enjoy looking at people's vanity plates and trying to uncover what that means about them....I use clues like what kind of car they drive, how old it is, if they have college stickers on there....and figure out what the vanity plate says to piece together who they are. I am pretty confident in my guesses....and one time I had the chance to confirm with someone..and it felt so good to know I got it right. Sometimes I'll use that same guessing to figure out who I should get behind at a red light if I want to be behind someone that goes faster than the other.

If someone could make tests that involved real-world clues to profile someone...I think that would be fun.

Someone once had everyone play the "psychopath" game at a party one time, where you have to figure out why the psychopath did what they did....and that was a lot of fun. (I'm not a psychopath, lol, but I did get it "right" quickly.)
So you enjoy figuring out or understanding people.
What is the benefit of doing it?
What is the experience like for you?
How much of your time do you spend engaged in doing this kind of activity?
If you didn't have any restrictions, such as work or other responsibilities how much of your time would you spend doing it?

This is confusing. Earlier on you seemed to indicate that your type was ISFP. But now you're saying that you are not sure. If you accept the concept of cognitive functions and believe that Fi is your strongest function followed by Se then the ONLY possible type for you is ISFP, so how could you be unsure of it? If you cannot accept this kind of reasoning then you will not be able to conclusively decide on your personality type. So how exactly are you going to determine your type?

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So you enjoy figuring out or understanding people.
What is the benefit of doing it?
What is the experience like for you?
How much of your time do you spend engaged in doing this kind of activity?
If you didn't have any restrictions, such as work or other responsibilities how much of your time would you spend doing it?

I don't know what benefit it has... I Just like to understand people. I don't know why. The experience is a little like getting inside the mind of that person, getting to experience their identity vicariously. I don't do it constantly...but maybe a few times a day. Mostly when I'm out and about in the world instead of my usual introverted mode. I prefer to observe people more than engage with them typically. If I could do this as much as I want, I still would probably only do it <20% of the time. I would get bored constantly doing it... Then again, there isn't much I could do constantly without getting bored...I would need to change it up throughout the day anyways.

This is confusing. Earlier on you seemed to indicate that your type was ISFP. But now you're saying that you are not sure. If you accept the concept of cognitive functions and believe that Fi is your strongest function followed by Se then the ONLY possible type for you is ISFP, so how could you be unsure of it? If you cannot accept this kind of reasoning then you will not be able to conclusively decide on your personality type. So how exactly are you going to determine your type?

I was responding to the poster who was referring to the ISxP in my avatar. I know it's confusing. When I was a kid my ESTP step-dad used to say I had no common sense :(. It seems like when I zoom in and zoom out I get conflicting answers about myself. Zooming in, I without a doubt consider feelings important when making decisions...even if they don't make sense. When I zoom out, I see someone that doesn't seem typical of the ISFP type...felt alienated growing up because of their differences.. I'm trying to reconcile the inconsistencies within my personality...and I'm having trouble doing so. No personality type fits better than Fi-Se though. I can't help but compare myself to others that are ISFP and feel odd. But maybe that's some enneagram 4 stuff coming out? I don't know...

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
If I could do this as much as I want, I still would probably only do it <20% of the time.
So what would you be doing for the remaining 80% of the time?

I would get bored constantly doing it... Then again, there isn't much I could do constantly without getting bored...I would need to change it up throughout the day anyways.
What is it like when you do get bored?
What is it that is most satisfying you change it up?

Xena

MBTI Type
TeNi
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So what would you be doing for the remaining 80% of the time?
What is it like when you do get bored?
What is it that is most satisfying you change it up?

I would do whatever I feel like doing as much time as I can get away with. I try to get everything done quickly so I have as much time to "play" as possible. That could be reading up on a topic of interest....beer making, organic vegetable gardening, permaculture, landscaping, pet care, parenting, typology, health related topics, nutrition, exercise, sustainable living, backpacking, camping, minimalism, aquarium science.... so really, just reading more up about topics that are interesting, usually concrete, useful and typically have a life-centered type of focus.
I might watch funny videos, cook, hang out with people I love, sing and dance, play with my kids ...but by far the thing I enjoy most is reading up on things that interest me. I could spend a couple hours easily reading up on things I like before feeling like I need to go "do" something and be productive. I like the feeling of inspiration I get from learning about a new topic...or even browsing ideas on pinterest (backyard projects, homeschool tips, how to use a crockpot more effectively). I could spend an hour just customizing my phone with background photos/fonts/sounds if I actually had the time to do so. When I was younger (pre-kids), I could easily spend hours playing The Sims or World of Warcraft.

I don't get bored easily at home because I just go with the flow and do whatever I feel like doing. Or make a game out of chores to see how fast I can get them done.

But at work...when I get bored, I disengage from the outerworld and start running scenarios of things in my head. Usually those scenarios are conversations and interactions with other people..... They're not past scenarios...but hypothetical conjurings. Or I'm analyzing something....like I'll try to analyze someone's type that I know to give my mind something to chew on. If there's a problem in my personal life, like I'm worried about how I'm going to be able to work at a job that hours conflict with being able to take my kids or pick them up from school...I'll think about that and run hypotheticals to see which idea seems to be the most likely to be workable. If things are boring, AND I'm dealing with an emotional issue...I'll sit and wallow in my emotions. I like listening to songs that reinforce my mood. Seeing scenarios that further fuel the emotion. I have to be careful doing that though because my emotions could take over and I wouldn't be able to work...no matter how demanding of my concentration it is.

I don't understand the last question you asked.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was getting at something else with my second question, so I'll rephrase it, and looks like there was a typo in the third question... oops. So here they are again.

What is the experience like, when you start to get bored?
What is it that is most satisfying to you when you change it up?

Here are some more questions.

Would it be fair to say when you start an activity it is not boring, but as you continue with the activity you start to get bored? What is it makes this activity (that was interesting when you started it) "boring".

Would it be fair to say that getting information on subjects that interest you is the most enjoyable activity?