• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Here goes...what's my type?!

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

Interested in hearing opinions. :)

I filled out a questionnaire (not sure if it's the "best" one to use though)...

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I have many different sides to my personality and I can honestly see myself in a lot of "types". I'm fairly confident about my "temperament" (but I won't mention what that is yet as I am interested in hearing other perspectives first).

Significant traumatic life experiences have also caused several "identity crises". I'm currently pretty healthy and feel that this is a good time to start exploring my type again.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Hmm. That's a difficult question. I guess, I yearn for self-actualisation, or at least the freedom to be able to keep on exploring and learning about myself, as well as others (I'm not entirely sure that there is an "end point" to this, it seems as though it's more of a journey and commitment, if that makes sense).

Why do I want this? Well, I think Socrates got it right when he said, "the unexamined life is not worth living." I 100% agree with this sentiment, it's hard to imagine a reality where I wouldn't be interested in self-exploration (unless, perhaps I was severely emotionally wounded and were afflicted with some kind of personality disorder or the like).

I suppose you could also interpret this as yearning for "wisdom".

I think there is also some part of me that hopes that I could also go some way in helping others self-actualize as well. Although, I'm far more interested in my own process than in telling others what they ought to be doing (which I disagree with). I prefer to see myself as more of a "guide" who understands the terrain quite well and can help with navigating, as opposed to being the leader of the pack.

Did that answer the question?! Lol.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I feel my finest when my thoughts and actions are in line with my "core" (I don't like the term "true self" because it implies that the self is something static when I see it as being very dynamic).

I feel great when I am self-aware and self-accepting.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

I struggle to articulate myself. I admit, I feel both in awe and envious of those that are able to communicate their ideas beautifully. I guess I feel a little clumsy and scattered which can lead to internal frustration.

I feel inferior when I feel like someone is trying to crush my spirit/soul. I hate feeling invalidated - it's the worst feeling ever. :(

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Decisions are very hard for me! I hate having to make them!

I guess I try to focus on what it is that *I* really want but that can be difficult because there are many possibilities. I think I worry about making the *wrong* decision - for fear of upsetting others (but I am a recovering codependent so that is not necessarily "type" related). As I have got older I have tried to be a bit more rational and "detached" about these things. If I am too emotionally invested in a decision it can cloud my judgement. Also, emotions are ephemeral so making a decision based upon how you feel at that moment is not always the best idea!

(I'm not very good at answering these questions I'm afraid! :doh:)

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

Hmmm....

I'm not always sure what the "outcome" will be so I don't have much interest in trying to control it.

I'm not sure that I have just one "emphasis". I guess I'm good at coming up with ideas (I'm not very good when it comes to implementing things though as I have a short attention span). I personally think I do my "best" when given the freedom to improvise a little. I'm ALL about improvisation! ;D

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I had a lot of fun when I was part of a youth theatre drama club (in my teens). I just remember feeling so excited to be able to explore my creativity with so many amazing people. I met some great friends for life during that period. THAT was a time when I felt I was in line with my "core" (whatever that means, lol!)

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

Absorbing as much information as possible about the subject and then trying to make sense of it. I find the "filtering" part the hardest. When I was a student I LOVED researching but not so much the essay-writing process (I struggled quite a bit with this, actually).

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

I am naturally NOT very organised, but, I have learnt to discipline myself over the years. It is a daily struggle but I find ways around it somehow, lol.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I do a bit of both, I guess?

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Being true to myself, definitely.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I need to learn to THINK before speaking (I am known to just blurt things out, lol). I have gotten into so much trouble for this in the past!

Group discussion can feel a little overwhelming to me, I much prefer getting in-deep and personal one-on-one (oh la-la!)

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I have learnt through personal experience that actions do speak louder than words. In the past I have been easily fooled/mislead by what someone has said to me and paid too little attention to what they were DOING (that often contradicted their words). Beware of emotional manipulators!

I tend to jump into action right away. Sometimes I can be more hesitant, I have a "cautious" side.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I stay in, lol. I'm sooo anti-social. :p

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I become super anxious and hyper-vigilant. I catastrophize..."it's the end of the world!" It can look to others like I have extreme tunnel vision and I have a tendency to become very black-and-white.

Not my best look, lol.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

Overbearing and controlling personalities will raise my shackles.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Yes! Favourite topics are: psychology (esp. counselling/psychotherapy), history, typology, culture/social/politics, and anything that involves analysing humans/humanity.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

Paper-work and bureaucracy - ugh!!!! Luckily my husband takes care of the bills, etc.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

Everyone *thinks* they know me but the truth is I'm a very private person. Friends often comment on how positive, enthusiastic, and friendly I am but, really, deep-down I'm actually rather melancholic and apathetic. I relate a lot to the Tim Minchin song, "Dark Side".

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Exploring my favourite things! (i.e. reading books or browsing the internet for more information about things that interest me in that particular moment).

I also dabble in art a little bit but it's very much a hobby and not something I take too seriously.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for the reply!

Can you elaborate a little on why you think IxFP?

I see IXFP as well. From what I read, you are all about the "self". Although that could be possible enneagram 4 shining through. inferior Te is seen as well. You peg me as an INFP (e4?).

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

I see IXFP as well. From what I read, you are all about the "self". Although that could be possible enneagram 4 shining through. inferior Te is seen as well. You peg me as an INFP (e4?).

Thanks for reading!

I'm not settled on my Enneatype type either but I do believe I have a strong 4 influence (not sure whether it's my core type or just a fix). In the past I've consistently been typed by others as ExFP, so I am intrigued to hear more about IxFP. Could you explain a little more about where you see possible inferior Te influence?

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks for reading!

I'm not settled on my Enneatype type either but I do believe I have a strong 4 influence (not sure whether it's my core type or just a fix). In the past I've consistently been typed by others as ExFP, so I am intrigued to hear more about IxFP. Could you explain a little more about where you see possible inferior Te influence?

Assuming you are xxFP It would go like this. Higher Fi leads you to do what you want, what you value. To counter that, there is Te, which drives pushes the individual to put aside wants and values for something that is get results, something that is externally seen as progress. When a natural Fi type focuses on lower Te, it sometimes comes out as harsh judgement, criticizing self and others for not being efficient and such. I saw inferior Te in this...

Paper-work and bureaucracy - ugh!!!! Luckily my husband takes care of the bills, etc.
(Although this could be lower SP instinct.)

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

Assuming you are xxFP It would go like this. Higher Fi leads you to do what you want, what you value. To counter that, there is Te, which drives pushes the individual to put aside wants and values for something that is get results, something that is externally seen as progress. When a natural Fi type focuses on lower Te, it sometimes comes out as harsh judgement, criticizing self and others for not being efficient and such. I saw inferior Te in this...

(Although this could be lower SP instinct.)

I agree that I am a higher Fi type -I'm just not sure which one! Interestingly, my dislike of overbearing and "controlling" personalities has also been linked to type 6 in the past (which I can see as well)

The paper-work and bureaucracy thing is very taxing for me as I struggle to maintain focus/attention for long periods of time (no, I'm not ADHD/ADD). I also hate having to deal with details, I'm seriously scatter-brained, lol.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree that I am a higher Fi type -I'm just not sure which one! Interestingly, my dislike of overbearing and "controlling" personalities has also been linked to type 6 in the past (which I can see as well)

The paper-work and bureaucracy thing is very taxing for me as I struggle to maintain focus/attention for long periods of time (no, I'm not ADHD/ADD). I also hate having to deal with details, I'm seriously scatter-brained, lol.

You mentioned you felt your best during your youth when you could explore your creativity. What form did this creativity take?

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

You mentioned you felt your best during your youth when you could explore your creativity. What form did this creativity take?

Performing on stage in different character roles (I particularly liked improvisational performance where I got to make up different characters and scenarios on the spot). I also have fond memories of playing imaginary games with my two best friends when I was a child.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Performing on stage in different character roles (I particularly liked improvisational performance where I got to make up different characters and scenarios on the spot). I also have fond memories of playing imaginary games with my two best friends when I was a child.

ExFP is a possibility. I'm still leaning toward Ne. I made short prototype questionaire, if you're willing.

Number the phrases in each group in order by what resonates the most with you:

Group A
  • How I see the world is what matters. Objects instill impressions within me and that is what is worthwhile.
  • I focus on the here and now and what I can observe. I don't spend much time looking beneath the surface. The things I treasure are present and tangible.

• The world is more than it is to me. I see the possibilities of what it offers. They're not apparent now, they're something to strive for. It's value to me is in the "what could be?"

• Hmm. There is more going on than what is seen. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's there.I just need to mull this over.

Group B
  • Logic is my being and is an internal essence. To grasp the world, I have to look within, to see if things aligns to my understanding of things. If it makes sense to me, that's all that' is needed.

• I focus on what I want and value. I know sometimes I have to put such things on hold for progress' sake, but it feels like a betrayal to myself.

• I know what I want but sometimes the affairs of others is my focus. What they like, what they favor is somewhat a measurement of my own tastes.

• Results and progress are standards for everyone to see. If it works, if it doesn't, that is objective and of the utmost importance.

Of the two top phrases, what is more you?

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

ExFP is a possibility. I'm still leaning toward Ne. I made short prototype questionaire, if you're willing.

Number the phrases in each group in order by what resonates the most with you:

Group A
  • How I see the world is what matters. Objects instill impressions within me and that is what is worthwhile.
  • I focus on the here and now and what I can observe. I don't spend much time looking beneath the surface. The things I treasure are present and tangible.

• The world is more than it is to me. I see the possibilities of what it offers. They're not apparent now, they're something to strive for. It's value to me is in the "what could be?"

• Hmm. There is more going on than what is seen. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's there.I just need to mull this over.

Group B
  • Logic is my being and is an internal essence. To grasp the world, I have to look within, to see if things aligns to my understanding of things. If it makes sense to me, that's all that' is needed.

• I focus on what I want and value. I know sometimes I have to put such things on hold for progress' sake, but it feels like a betrayal to myself.

• I know what I want but sometimes the affairs of others is my focus. What they like, what they favor is somewhat a measurement of my own tastes.

• Results and progress are standards for everyone to see. If it works, if it doesn't, that is objective and of the utmost importance.

Of the two top phrases, what is more you?

Group A:

1. The world is more than it is to me. I see the possibilities of what it offers. They're not apparent now, they're something to strive for. It's value to me is in the "what could be?" (I feel like I should add that I related to this the most, BUT, within context. I don't go around looking for possibilities everywhere or for everything, I am mainly interested in understanding myself and other people.)

2. Hmm. There is more going on than what is seen. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's there.I just need to mull this over. (Similar to the above, my focus in on humans/human systems and exploring "myself").

The last two phrases I fell kinda "meh" about. I suspect I am more focused on the here-and-now than I am on impressions, but neither of them really describe me very well at all so it's hard to say which is more significant. It really depends on the context (sorry, this answer is probably not very helpful!)

Group B:

1. I focus on what I want and value. I know sometimes I have to put such things on hold for progress' sake, but it feels like a betrayal to myself.

2. Results and progress are standards for everyone to see. If it works, if it doesn't, that is objective and of the utmost importance.

3. I know what I want but sometimes the affairs of others is my focus. What they like, what they favor is somewhat a measurement of my own tastes.

4. Logic is my being and is an internal essence. To grasp the world, I have to look within, to see if things aligns to my understanding of things. If it makes sense to me, that's all that' is needed.

I really don't know which group I relate to more. I found it easier ordering Group B but I suspect I am naturally more interested in exploring that I am to coming to conclusions (especially when I was younger, these days I would say I have a healthy balance of the two).

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Group A:

1. The world is more than it is to me. I see the possibilities of what it offers. They're not apparent now, they're something to strive for. It's value to me is in the "what could be?" (I feel like I should add that I related to this the most, BUT, within context. I don't go around looking for possibilities everywhere or for everything, I am mainly interested in understanding myself and other people.)

2. Hmm. There is more going on than what is seen. I can't quite put my finger on it but it's there.I just need to mull this over. (Similar to the above, my focus in on humans/human systems and exploring "myself").

The last two phrases I fell kinda "meh" about. I suspect I am more focused on the here-and-now than I am on impressions, but neither of them really describe me very well at all so it's hard to say which is more significant. It really depends on the context (sorry, this answer is probably not very helpful!)

Group B:

1. I focus on what I want and value. I know sometimes I have to put such things on hold for progress' sake, but it feels like a betrayal to myself.

2. Results and progress are standards for everyone to see. If it works, if it doesn't, that is objective and of the utmost importance.

3. I know what I want but sometimes the affairs of others is my focus. What they like, what they favor is somewhat a measurement of my own tastes.

4. Logic is my being and is an internal essence. To grasp the world, I have to look within, to see if things aligns to my understanding of things. If it makes sense to me, that's all that' is needed.

I really don't know which group I relate to more. I found it easier ordering Group B but I suspect I am naturally more interested in exploring that I am to coming to conclusions (especially when I was younger, these days I would say I have a healthy balance of the two).

XNFP easily. I'm tempted to say INFP with the way you ranked the choices. My mistake for the poor wording for the second half. You didn't have to take the whole group into consideration the whole group, just the top listed choice in each group (that would be torture otherwise). So your choices would be like this...
Group A
1. The world is more than it is to me. I see the possibilities of what it offers. They're not apparent now, they're something to strive for. It's value to me is in the "what could be?"

Group B

Of these two, what rules you more?

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

XNFP easily. I'm tempted to say INFP with the way you ranked the choices. My mistake for the poor wording for the second half. You didn't have to take the whole group into consideration the whole group, just the top listed choice in each group (that would be torture otherwise). So your choices would be like this...
Group A
1. The world is more than it is to me. I see the possibilities of what it offers. They're not apparent now, they're something to strive for. It's value to me is in the "what could be?"

Group B

Of these two, what rules you more?

Now worries, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out and offer feedback! :)

Ahhh, this is a hard question. Certainly when I was younger I would have answered with A....but I am in my 30s now and I'm at a point in my life where B feels more accurate. No idea if this is because certain functions are more developed now, or that I am now more "me" than I was in my youth. I guess that's something for me to ponder and think about...

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Now worries, I appreciate you taking the time to help me out and offer feedback! :)

Ahhh, this is a hard question. Certainly when I was younger I would have answered with A....but I am in my 30s now and I'm at a point in my life where B feels more accurate. No idea if this is because certain functions are more developed now, or that I am now more "me" than I was in my youth. I guess that's something for me to ponder and think about...
Considering developed functions is important and analyzing your youth is a good move. Usually the dominant function is the first to emerge. Looking at oneself at ages 6 to early teens is a good range to start looking.

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

Considering developed functions is important and analyzing your youth is a good move. Usually the dominant function is the first to emerge. Looking at oneself at ages 6 to early teens is a good range to start looking.

Agreed.

Honestly, when I look back at my youth I was a classic ExFP. It's only in the past year or so that I've considered IxFP (or had others suggest it). The question is whether I lead with Se or Ne. I understand why you lean Ne, I see it too. Maybe it's because my best friends growing up were xSFP types, but there is something about the SPs that is so appealing...

Se or Ne? So many differences, yet so many similarities....

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Agreed.

Honestly, when I look back at my youth I was a classic ExFP. It's only in the past year or so that I've considered IxFP (or had others suggest it). The question is whether I lead with Se or Ne. I understand why you lean Ne, I see it too. Maybe it's because my best friends growing up were xSFP types, but there is something about the SPs that is so appealing...

Se or Ne? So many differences, yet so many similarities....

Se focuses on the world as is. They are drawn to the physical stimuli that the world presents (doesn't have to be crazy things). The best experience is what is sought.
Ne is more focused on what can be. They do not focus on the world but rather, what could stem from it, "possibilities" what it is better known as. It's about chasing the ideas or notions that the environment conjures within rather than the tangible world.

Sorry for the short description. I'm half asleep and it would feel right giving you sloppily compiled information. I'm off, but I'll be back to you as quickly as possible. :)

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

Se focuses on the world as is. They are drawn to the physical stimuli that the world presents (doesn't have to be crazy things). The best experience is what is sought.
Ne is more focused on what can be. They do not focus on the world but rather, what could stem from it, "possibilities" what it is better known as. It's about chasing the ideas or notions that the environment conjures within rather than the tangible world.

Sorry for the short description. I'm half asleep and it would feel right giving you sloppily compiled information. I'm off, but I'll be back to you as quickly as possible. :)

Does Se accept things at face value? Because, that's how I read it sometimes. And although I think that first impressions and appearances can tell a lot, it rarely gets to the "core" of the situation or person. Possibilities or not, I feel like there is always stuff to be explored. I'm always interested in going "deeper." Does that make me N over S? I dunno.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does Se accept things at face value? Because, that's how I read it sometimes. And although I think that first impressions and appearances can tell a lot, it rarely gets to the "core" of the situation or person. Possibilities or not, I feel like there is always stuff to be explored. I'm always interested in going "deeper." Does that make me N over S? I dunno.

Yes. S is all about seeing, the "what is". N is the connections, meanings and "possibilities that are born from that. Let me elaborate.

Sensing with Intuition
"The world is as I see it. It is the subjective impressions that I derive from it that guide me (Si), but I have to remember that there is more to what I see (Ne).Sometimes it's fine to delve into the unknown, embracing what it could offer."

"The world is what it is. I focus on what is around me, the stimulation that it brings (Se), but there is more to the world than that. There is something behind it, but I just can't say what. It's a hunch if you will and I can learn to trust it."

Leading with intuition would be the reverse of the said.

The higher one is, the more you reject the other, or fear it's presence.

TheEndIsNotTheEnd

Yes. S is all about seeing, the "what is". N is the connections, meanings and "possibilities that are born from that. Let me elaborate.

Sensing with Intuition
"The world is as I see it. It is the subjective impressions that I derive from it that guide me (Si), but I have to remember that there is more to what I see (Ne).Sometimes it's fine to delve into the unknown, embracing what it could offer."

"The world is what it is. I focus on what is around me, the stimulation that it brings (Se), but there is more to the world than that. There is faceplamedsomething behind it, but I just can't say what. It's a hunch if you will and I can learn to trust it."

Leading with intuition would be the reverse of the said.

The higher one is, the more you reject the other, or fear it's presence.

Well, I guess I can't relate to not making connections or thinking about what things might really mean. I guess that might suggest Ne over Se?

My mind is super hectic most of the time. For example, I'm currently trying to fill out an application form and I literally have to stop and let my mind wander after every sentence or so, I wonder if Se-dominants have this problem as well? I really struggle focusing for long periods of time on details like that. The questions I have to answer are pretty straightforward but I feel like my mind goes too fast and there is so much I want to say. My husband told me to download this voice recorder app on my phone that has been quite helpful for me. I use it to record my "brain farts" which I then use as a reference when I'm trying to structure my answers coherently, lol. One question I answered was like, "give an example of a time when you communicated well with another person", and my recorded answer was nearly 10 minutes long. I showed my husband and he just face-palmed, lol (he's a pretty structured to-the-point INTJ).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was looking at descriptions of inferior Ni vs inferior Si and so-far I relate to the latter. I'm actually struggling to understand inferior Ni - it sounds almost like paranoid "what-if" thinking, like conspiracy theory stuff? Maybe I'm not understanding it very well. Anyway, the inferior Si stuff does sound a lot like me, for sure.

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I guess I can't relate to not making connections or thinking about what things might really mean. I guess that might suggest Ne over Se?

My mind is super hectic most of the time. For example, I'm currently trying to fill out an application form and I literally have to stop and let my mind wander after every sentence or so, I wonder if Se-dominants have this problem as well? I really struggle focusing for long periods of time on details like that. The questions I have to answer are pretty straightforward but I feel like my mind goes too fast and there is so much I want to say. My husband told me to download this voice recorder app on my phone that has been quite helpful for me. I use it to record my "brain farts" which I then use as a reference when I'm trying to structure my answers coherently, lol. One question I answered was like, "give an example of a time when you communicated well with another person", and my recorded answer was nearly 10 minutes long. I showed my husband and he just face-palmed, lol (he's a pretty structured to-the-point INTJ).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was looking at descriptions of inferior Ni vs inferior Si and so-far I relate to the latter. I'm actually struggling to understand inferior Ni - it sounds almost like paranoid "what-if" thinking, like conspiracy theory stuff? Maybe I'm not understanding it very well. Anyway, the inferior Si stuff does sound a lot like me, for sure.

Yes, this is more N. Both Pe types can lack attention but your scenario seems more Ne prone. Se would veer off tasks because the environment itself is not stimulating enough and seeks out something that is. An Ne is similar at boredom but is drawn away from the task through focusing on the connections and possibilities derived from the environment.

You understand the inferiors well. Since Se dom's don't really rely on Ni, it's kind of their weak flank. Instead of focusing on what is in front of them (Se), they fall into this mindset of expecting the worst without evidence. Ni doms can do the same thing but it would be out of character for an ESXP. I am becoming more confident in say ENFP.