• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How prevalent is Si in me?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Really had no clue what forum I should stick this question in...

Anyways, simple question to all. I have little trouble understanding Si, what it is and all (beyond the superficial definitions out there) but how it applies to me and where it shows its head in my life, is a little muddy. Aside from some obvious signs of it, I am a little unclear as to where it can pop up, and even, how much it does so. At first glance, I feel like I use it very little or put little trust into it, but maybe I show it on this forum and in vent more often than I am even aware :shrug:

All input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I would say the best way to see how much Si you use would be to read the following link and see which you relate to most. Funky MBTI in Fiction * How Si Acts in all 4 Positions

oh hey! This looks to be useful :happy2:

That may be the issue I am having in identifying Si since I am only trying to apply Si to myself in it's most obvious and exaggerated form, aka how dominant Si applies to myself. Since I am definitely not an ISJ, of course I would have to apply a more subtle, hidden variant of Si to myself, duh.

Thanks!

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
oh hey! This looks to be useful

That may be the issue I am having in identifying Si since I am only trying to apply Si to myself in it's most obvious and exaggerated form, aka how dominant Si applies to myself. Since I am definitely not an ISJ, of course I would have to apply a more subtle, hidden variant of Si to myself, duh.

Thanks!

It would seem that you are ether ESxJ or xNxP then if you dont relate to dom Si.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It would seem that you are ether ESxJ or xNxP then if you dont relate to dom Si.

You know, quick thought crossed my mind, it may not be the best time for me to question this about myself since I've been going through some highly stressful and emotional times the past few months. I'm sure my functions are all flipped around at this point in time. I can at least, think of times in the past, before all this began happening and pinpoint Si that way. It'll just be harder since I can't reference myself in this frame of time, and must instead reference a previous version of me. For instance, I read the dominant Si descriptions just now, and while I would say I didn't relate to it at all in the past (abhorring routine and stagnation) right now, the thought of consistency and familiarity seems exactly to be what I need right now :(

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You know, quick thought crossed my mind, it may not be the best time for me to question this about myself since I've been going through some highly stressful and emotional times the past few months. I'm sure my functions are all flipped around at this point in time. I can at least, think of times in the past, before all this began happening and pinpoint Si that way. It'll just be harder since I can't reference myself in this frame of time, and must instead reference a previous version of me. For instance, I read the dominant Si descriptions just now, and while I would say I didn't relate to it at all in the past (abhorring routine and stagnation) right now, the thought of consistency and familiarity seems exactly to be what I need right now

It seems that you are a NP type as it seems that you use Si as more of a "relief" function than use it usefully like a higher Si user would. I would lean ENxP over INxP as it seems that Si is triggered by stress rather than something you can use naturally. as a INTP Si is my tert and while i can relate to many things on your view of Si (When under stressful times routine is comforting) you seem to have a far more "dysfunctional" view of Si than I do.

By the way would you say Si is more of a "relief" function that is used in a playful way (Enjoy replaying the past, like routine without being stressed) or a "aspirational" function (Having a very strong dislike for Si yet find that you use it and envy those who are skilled at using it). Link is here if I haven't explained it properly. The 16 Type Patterns

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
It seems that you are a NP type as it seems that you use Si as more of a "relief" function than use it usefully like a higher Si user would. I would lean ENxP over INxP as it seems that Si is triggered by stress rather than something you can use naturally. as a INTP Si is my tert and while i can relate to many things on your view of Si (When under stressful times routine is comforting) you seem to have a far more "dysfunctional" view of Si than I do.

By the way would you say Si is more of a "relief" function that is used in a playful way (Enjoy replaying the past, like routine without being stressed) or a "aspirational" function (Having a very strong dislike for Si yet find that you use it and envy those who are skilled at using it). Link is here if I haven't explained it properly. The 16 Type Patterns

Hmm, this I will have to think on a bit. It's a nice day out and I've been indoors all morning and feel antsy now. I'll get back to ya on it. Thanks for your help!

I think it'd be so much simpler if someone that knew me well could just give me some spreadsheet and point out the Si to me as a line item in my life haha

skimpit

This might be a bad one for example's sake, but I recently have met someone who has low Si. As an example of how he uses this, it makes him forgetful, but in a kind of quirky sense. Mistakes sneak up on him and then pile up on him before he can fix it. He tries to direct the others around him, but because his Si is tertiary, this can sort of backfire on him. When he forgets something, he gets quite stressed out and confused ("Why did I forget it? You forgot it, I didn't! What're you saying? I'm totally rational. This is the way things are done. You hear? This way, right here. No other way. If you deviate from this you are wrong, and I'm right, you lose. Fired."). Although that sounds SJish, it's not. SJs don't obsess over tradition (i.e. conservativism, repetition, the learning process), and that's because they can navigate it well. When you hear someone groaning about the little details (and I mean groaning, and obsessively checking up on everything to make sure it's all good), that's most likely low Si going there. It's like trying to see far away when you're nearsighted. When you're forced to see without your usual pair, you get anxious at how badly you actually see.

So if you want to try to locate these examples in your life, my suggestion would be watch your actions. Don't interfere with what you're doing, just watch yourself. If there's papers strewn about the house or if you catch your thoughts going ahead of you (as in, we have to do this, this, this, and this, and then we'll be done - but you don't actually follow through on that list (Si) then you've probably got Ne over Si instead of the other way around. But don't confuse this with general forgetfulness however, because they're actually different). I don't know if that made any sense, but I tried haha

Also another way to view it is this. Si if you're NFP, ENFP especially, is the lens through which you see the world. You might find that odd since it's your inferior function, but if you think about it, it's the most unconscious function for you, so it's the one you think about least. How about, Si is your actual eyeball, and Ne the contact lens you wear over it to see better. ENFPs are really just reverse ISTJs, and what ISTJs would actually be like if they were as neurotic as the descriptions made them sound.

Conversely, ISTJs are reverse ENFPs. They see the world through Ne, and that's probably why they're so... special. ;)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This might be a bad one for example's sake, but I recently have met someone who has low Si. As an example of how he uses this, it makes him forgetful, but in a kind of quirky sense. Mistakes sneak up on him and then pile up on him before he can fix it. He tries to direct the others around him, but because his Si is tertiary, this can sort of backfire on him. When he forgets something, he gets quite stressed out and confused ("Why did I forget it? You forgot it, I didn't! What're you saying? I'm totally rational. This is the way things are done. You hear? This way, right here. No other way. If you deviate from this you are wrong, and I'm right, you lose. Fired."). Although that sounds SJish, it's not. SJs don't obsess over tradition (i.e. conservativism, repetition, the learning process), and that's because they can navigate it well. When you hear someone groaning about the little details (and I mean groaning, and obsessively checking up on everything to make sure it's all good), that's most likely low Si going there. It's like trying to see far away when you're nearsighted. When you're forced to see without your usual pair, you get anxious at how badly you actually see.

So if you want to try to locate these examples in your life, my suggestion would be watch your actions. Don't interfere with what you're doing, just watch yourself. If there's papers strewn about the house or if you catch your thoughts going ahead of you (as in, we have to do this, this, this, and this, and then we'll be done - but you don't actually follow through on that list (Si) then you've probably got Ne over Si instead of the other way around. But don't confuse this with general forgetfulness however, because they're actually different). I don't know if that made any sense, but I tried haha

Also another way to view it is this. Si if you're NFP, ENFP especially, is the lens through which you see the world. You might find that odd since it's your inferior function, but if you think about it, it's the most unconscious function for you, so it's the one you think about least. How about, Si is your actual eyeball, and Ne the contact lens you wear over it to see better. ENFPs are really just reverse ISTJs, and what ISTJs would actually be like if they were as neurotic as the descriptions made them sound.

Conversely, ISTJs are reverse ENFPs. They see the world through Ne, and that's probably why they're so... special. ;)

Wow, thank you! Luckily, I happen to have an ISTJ close to me in life, my brother's wife. It's really interesting to hang around her since I do see this "flip" between us, and I find I often bring out her weird whenever we hang out haha. I'm interested in investigating this further, of seeing the world through Si rather than Ne. Your examples above btw, is totally me. I seem to be able to make the best to-do lists and plan things out, but will I ever get to all of them? Not a chance. I tend to overestimate, and time sort of doesn't exist with me. I also tend to forget things a lot, and have often had things fall apart on me and feel as though my world is crumbling beneath me because I forgot this detail or that. I actually go through life in a wave like pattern where I will have everything fall apart on me, learn from that bad experience, and reorganize my life, then things will get better and I'll start achieving all this success, then I'll forget eventually, and go back to normal, and things come crashing down again. I have ADHD so the structure and planning is nice to have and actually, brings a certain calm to my life, but at the end of the day, I'm going to do what I'm going to do.

I'll have to mull over what you said though. I wish I could provide an immediate answer to your post or proper response.

skimpit

Sure thing, man!

I might add that (what I think, personally - note this) what make an NF is not the N or the F, but rather the Si (for NFPs, to clarify here). Si is idealistic and abstract, which is exactly what an Ne dom is really, but without Si to help them out they couldn't be the pretty little butterflies they are. Si provides what the idealists are going to chase after, and Ne is they way they'll get there - hopefully. :thumbup:

Si things idek:

"Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate to others the things that seem important to oneself."
- I stole this from myersandbriggs, a blog on Tumblr. It's by Jung, but I think this relates to Si really well.

"A focus on your personal, physical experiences. Very aware of any changes in their environment and very aware of physical needs (i.e. hunger, being sick, being tired). Si users are ‘down to earth’, ‘normal’ people who are likely to notice when you get a haircut or put more salt in the soup than usual."
- Another Tumblr quote lol

"... are not simply experienced and enjoyed, but rather compared to previous sensations, in order to detect differences and inconsistencies. In a learning environment, this recalling of previous sensations is often vital for the learning process ..."
- There's a lot of good Tumblr blogs on this subject, though they might not have a lot on Si since everyone on Tumblr seems to think they're INFJ... a'ight