• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference between ENTPs and ESTPs?

SodaDrops

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a friend who I'm pretty sure uses aux Ti and tert Fe - though I might be wrong about the positions, I'm positive he doesn't use Fi/Te over Fe/Ti. I have trouble distinguishing whether or not he's dom Ne or dom Se. He seems too withdrawn within himself for me to tell. This lends me to wondering if maybe he's an ISTP or INTP instead because of that "Ji-bubble" IxxP's are in sometimes, but I really can't see the inferior Fe.

I think he's too unaware of his surroundings to be an Se dom, but I also don't feel that high Ne usage when I talk to him. Though, I might be biased, because I guess I'm too used to "Fi-flavored Ne" ^^ since my only other high Ne friend is an ENFP. I'm also certain his instinctual variant stacking is so/sp, which makes him seem kind of distant. He's very concerned about his public image.

Can you guys list out some differences between ExTPs? And feel free to ask clarifying questions about him!

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
ENTPs are the dorkier version of ESTPs IMO. They're more introverted and are more idea people whereas ESTPs are action oriented. ENTPs come off as a little more reserved I find whereas ESTPs are more forward. They act fairly similarly though, just gotta notice the subtleties.

Permabanned
Try have a conversation about something that requires Ti, like quantum mechanics, big bang, or wtv, see how deep ne/se goes

SodaDrops

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENTPs are the dorkier version of ESTPs IMO. They're more introverted and are more idea people whereas ESTPs are action oriented. ENTPs come off as a little more reserved I find whereas ESTPs are more forward. They act fairly similarly though, just gotta notice the subtleties.

Thank you for the input! I've always been leaning more towards ENTP.

Try have a conversation about something that requires Ti, like quantum mechanics, big bang, or wtv, see how deep ne/se goes

Unfortunately, he's pretty know-it-all ish and I'm a little intimidated to engage in deeper conversation topics. I'm afraid it would be too exhausting for me to keep up..

Mayflower

King Ping
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Se is drawn to the the experience itself. The stronger the sensation the better
Ne is drawn to the possibilities derived from that. The more possibilities the better.

An Estp would get down if they couldn't do anything.
An Entp would get down if things were to similar.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
DistinguishingENTPandESTP.jpg

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
A thing I've noted about ENTPs and ESTPs, (which parallels with ESFPs and ENFPs to an extent), is how their tertiary function is the same but has a different effect when paired the dominant function.

Tertiary Fe allows ExTPs to understand their social environment and disconnect. Being able to read a room from the outside, an ENTP will use the disconnect to play with the environment while an ESTP will use the disconnect to manage security. ENTPs are overall less tactful than ESTPs, though I am certain that they are like that intentionally. ESTPs are overall more realistic when feeling destructive. Same way an ESFP will use tertiary Te as a retaliating offense while an ENFP wil use it as a retailiating defense.

ENTP:ESTP::ESFP:ENFP

Keep in mind that Se doesn't mean 'hyper aware of surroundings' and Ne doesn't mean 'loaded with ideas'.

I've written a lot more on the ENTP vs ESTP conversation, back when I typed [MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION] as an ESTP, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

I personally view MBTI as an almost purely functional study. As in, it isn't about the behavior a person observably has, but the hows and whys behind it. I guarantee if you prod this ExTP, you'll see hints of their inferior function, which will give way to their dominant. Hoped this helped!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
A thing I've noted about ENTPs and ESTPs, (which parallels with ESFPs and ENFPs to an extent), is how their tertiary function is the same but has a different effect when paired the dominant function.

Tertiary Fe allows ExTPs to understand their social environment and disconnect. Being able to read a room from the outside, an ENTP will use the disconnect to play with the environment while an ESTP will use the disconnect to manage security. ENTPs are overall less tactful than ESTPs, though I am certain that they are like that intentionally. ESTPs are overall more realistic when feeling destructive. Same way an ESFP will use tertiary Te as a retaliating offense while an ENFP wil use it as a retailiating defense.

Keep in mind that Se doesn't mean 'hyper aware of surroundings' and Ne doesn't mean 'loaded with ideas'.

I've written a lot more on the ENTP vs ESTP conversation, back when I typed [MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION] as an ESTP, but I don't seem to be able to find it.

I personally view MBTI as an almost purely functional study. As in, it isn't about the behavior a person observably has, but the hows and whys behind it. I guarantee if you prod this ExTP, you'll see hints of their inferior function, which will give way to their dominant. Hoped this helped!

Thank you Dr. Frankenstein :)

Tater

:bye: did you mean [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]? i don't think i recall this.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
:bye: did you mean [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION]? i don't think i recall this.

:doh: Whoops! My bad! I did mean [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION].

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We sense what intuits intuit.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I can somewhat agree with inferior Ni when stressed. Combined with Ti is not constructive. I try to stay out of stress and have been told i have a very developed Ni typically.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I dont agree with it at all I am suspicious of tests telling me who I am. That provokes being a different person !

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
thats latin "intuit", just like "agaga" my favourite latin word !

Intuition has an assumption of "right" defined into the word. N is not about right, but the perceptual connections through intuition. Just like what we sense is not always correct. Its the missing data or lack of a full understanding that causes it to be wrong at times.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Intuition has an assumption of "right" defined into the word. N is not about right, but the perceptual connections through intuition. Just like what we sense is not always correct. Its the missing data or lack of a full understanding that causes it to be wrong at times.

of "right"? Who told you that?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Nah, I wouldnt think that is N fault. I am rather convinced that it is bad self-confidence. I mean Ns are the nerds, I admit that 99,9% of the people in the World bore the hell out of me, but I dont think I am better. I just dont want to have to do with them. :)