• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ vs. INFP.. HELP

Perspective

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
5w4
Hi guys! This is my first post. I know it's long but please read. I just want to be thorough so you can give me the most accurate advise.

I have been at odds with myself over my personality type for months. :shock: It has plagued my thoughts and caused me a lot of mental confusion. I first typed as an INTP and felt so relieved: the description seemed to be spot on. I always knew that I was analytical in nature and that I loved to think about various theories over and over just for fun. However, the more I researched the type, I was a little discouraged. I just don't see myself to be as scientific and crazy intelligent as some of the famous people typed (Albert Einstein, damn). I am also not very straightforward when I know it might hurt someone's feelings and have always seen myself to be a warm and compassionate person, not as logic-driven as thinking types seem to be. I took the test again and put a little more consideration into the questions, realizing that I may have more feeling in me than I thought. My result the second time was INFP. This seemed plausible, but, at the same time, a little bit too on the dreamy side. I do get lost in my thoughts but I often don't think of fictional utopias like the description makes it seem INFP's do. Instead, I find my thoughts are on real world issues and theoretical ways in which they could be improved. I looked into INFJ and that description did resonate with me, although I don't think I am manipulative like a lot of people have accused the INFJ of being. I don't come off as phony or try to impose myself on others. I like to keep my intentions pure. Many of my friends say that I am one of the most genuine people they have met.
So, I suppose I'm stuck between the three still. Can anyone help me out?
Some of my favorite subjects are psychology, history, english, biology, and philosophy if that is any help.
I'll answer any other questions if it helps.:)
~wasn't trying to stereotype INFJ's, just went by what I've heard

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you relate more finding joy and energy from visualizing your goals and future. Do you see what you want to achieve for yourself and come up with the steps to reach them and then achieve them or do you see many possibilities for the future and/or many possibilities in situations that makes you want to test or try all of them?

Perspective

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
5w4
I definitely see many possible situations& want to try all of them.

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely see many possible situations& want to try all of them.

That's more Ne.

Te for INFP comes in wanting to be efficient but never truly pulling it off. Also I tend to become an organization queen when I feel stressed or when I notice a lack of control in my life. Ti in a INFJ would bring out wanting things to run more smoothly. Ti would tap into their ideas (Ni) and analyze them. They see the inconsistencies in statements.

Abjection

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP.

The flaw in both MBTI and Enneagram is in the descriptions. They're extremes.
They show you who you are capable of being, not who you are as of now. Take your time, organise your feelings and then proceed to move beyond yourself.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Where are people getting the impression that INFJ's are manipulative individuals? There's a bunch of fake ass mistypes if you ask me. Yeah you may get some extremists but they're sure as hell not fake.

Ni seriously has difficulty with being inauthentic with the everyday conversation unless the situation is in risk of someone's life or something of extreme importance. Where they'll be sure and be prepared to lie or get around the situation some how

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It also seems like there are fundamentally different versions of each type - that two people within a type can be more different from each other than two people of different type, but with similar experiences, enneagram, etc.

The INFJ and INFP question is a lot harder than it looks to some people. I've gone back and forth about it myself, although I end up enjoying the 'x' and don't want to necessarily resolve it most of the time. (while writing this post I've gone back to infj for a while)

I don't think that being 'phony' or 'pushing yourself on others' or 'being manipulative' is necessarily an INFJ issue. Jung describes Fi as being manipulative as well in its darker manifestations. Jung's description of Ni sounds pretty far out, like a person with extremely unusual thought patterns - too unusual to be as successfully social as some of those above descriptions imply. He talks about Ni interpreting the inner self and inner processes in terms of metaphors. He also describes the Ni-dom as having certitude about those inner processes. Ni risks more a break with reality, rather than adeptness at controlling it, although there are certainly going to be some of each type that are manipulative. I would say that the actual INFJ who was 'phony' would likely believe the unreal idea about the self. The approaches to manipulation would be unusual, rather than the standard social fare, and so in some cases could be harder to detect and more effective and in other cases they would just fall flat for being so off-base socially.

My understanding is that Ni tends to make people really believe in its perceptions and processes as the truth. The question is whether those perceptions are distorted or not.

Here's one trait that could be helpful in determining type: INFJs have a strong dichotomy between Ni and Fe because Ni needs solitude and inward analysis to make sense of its reality, and Fe is external and pressured, so the INFJ will tend to go between being with people, helping people, listening, etc. and then retreating completely incognito. I think that social dichotomy is more pronounced in the INFJ. The INFP enjoys solitude and some interaction, but I think the balance between the two tends to remain more stable in an ongoing exchange, whereas the INFJ can be all in and then all out when they hit a limit.

Perspective

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
5w4
That's more Ne.

Te for INFP comes in wanting to be efficient but never truly pulling it off. Also I tend to become an organization queen when I feel stressed or when I notice a lack of control in my life. Ti in a INFJ would bring out wanting things to run more smoothly. Ti would tap into their ideas (Ni) and analyze them. They see the inconsistencies in statements.

I can relate to that so hard, thank you.

Perspective

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
5w4
I never got the impression that they were until I did a lot of thread searching and saw the word come up over & over. In fact, I've come across several negative posts/articles about INFJ's that seem to be very bias and unfounded. Doesn't really make much sense to me.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where are people getting the impression that INFJ's are manipulative individuals? There's a bunch of fake ass mistypes if you ask me. Yeah you may get some extremists but they're sure as hell not fake.

Ni seriously has difficulty with being inauthentic with the everyday conversation unless the situation is in risk of someone's life or something of extreme importance. Where they'll be sure and be prepared to lie or get around the situation some how

infj's tend to be more internally consistent than externally consistent, unless they care about you (in my experience)... they sometimes tend to present a better image of themselves (and others) than is realistic...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
infj's tend to be more internally consistent than externally consistent, unless they care about you (in my experience)... they sometimes tend to present a better image of themselves (and others) than is realistic...

You're right but what you're implying seems wrong to me. Kind of hard to say why, but the best answer I can give right now is this: their intention isn't. I think they may try to elevate their self image so they can try to be more social but not necessarily to control someone either. Being fake and manipulative are two very different things in my book.

Perspective

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
5w4
It also seems like there are fundamentally different versions of each type - that two people within a type can be more different from each other than two people of different type, but with similar experiences, enneagram, etc.

The INFJ and INFP question is a lot harder than it looks to some people. I've gone back and forth about it myself, although I end up enjoying the 'x' and don't want to necessarily resolve it most of the time. (while writing this post I've gone back to infj for a while)

I don't think that being 'phony' or 'pushing yourself on others' or 'being manipulative' is necessarily an INFJ issue. Jung describes Fi as being manipulative as well in its darker manifestations. Jung's description of Ni sounds pretty far out, like a person with extremely unusual thought patterns - too unusual to be as successfully social as some of those above descriptions imply. He talks about Ni interpreting the inner self and inner processes in terms of metaphors. He also describes the Ni-dom as having certitude about those inner processes. Ni risks more a break with reality, rather than adeptness at controlling it, although there are certainly going to be some of each type that are manipulative. I would say that the actual INFJ who was 'phony' would likely believe the unreal idea about the self. The approaches to manipulation would be unusual, rather than the standard social fare, and so in some cases could be harder to detect and more effective and in other cases they would just fall flat for being so off-base socially.

My understanding is that Ni tends to make people really believe in its perceptions and processes as the truth. The question is whether those perceptions are distorted or not.

Here's one trait that could be helpful in determining type: INFJs have a strong dichotomy between Ni and Fe because Ni needs solitude and inward analysis to make sense of its reality, and Fe is external and pressured, so the INFJ will tend to go between being with people, helping people, listening, etc. and then retreating completely incognito. I think that social dichotomy is more pronounced in the INFJ. The INFP enjoys solitude and some interaction, but I think the balance between the two tends to remain more stable in an ongoing exchange, whereas the INFJ can be all in and then all out when they hit a limit.

Hmm.. interesting. Does the dichotomy have anything to do with having a strong impulse to help other people whenever possible but start to retreat and feel hurt when they take advantage of you? Maybe even reading into the situation too much?
Something I experience often.
I have a lot to learn about all of the functions before I can make up my mind completely. Time to become an INFx as well:shock:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sure that happens, although, it is likely the majority of humans who attempt to present themselves as better than they are. I would say that some of the more socially adept INFJs could be included in that. The ones I've known are really hard on themselves, and I know I certainly am. Nothing is simple enough to inspire confidence and horn-tutting socially.

I've known INFJs who actually present themselves kinda intentionally off-base in a way that I think almost tests people to see if they are open minded enough. An elderly lady who is an INFJ friend has also told me how she can't wear black because the vibrational energy pulls her down, and she has a reputation for being a bit 'off', but I find her insightful and unencumbered by being in much of a conventional box at all.

I think INFJs can observe the complex game dynamics in social contexts, but it's like through a glass window. All of the subtext is too overwhelming to the introvert. INFJs are described by Kiersey as becoming physically sick in negative environments. In many individuals and instances they don't play the game, but are more like the kid in dodgeball getting hit with all the balls, although they can see the complex trajectory of all the many balls, alas, they are left to do nothing but get smushed by them.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm.. interesting. Does the dichotomy have anything to do with having a strong impulse to help other people whenever possible but start to retreat and feel hurt when they take advantage of you? Maybe even reading into the situation too much?
Something I experience often.
I have a lot to learn about all of the functions before I can make up my mind completely. Time to become an INFx as well:shock:
I think that can happen to any type, although any of the feeling types that stop to listen and give a softer edge, will likely encounter more attempts at caring returned with getting exploited. I know it happens to Fi-doms too because I've seen it, but I'm not sure the Fi-dom 'hits the wall' socially in quite the same way. They pace themselves a bit more, but would also retreat if someone takes advantage of them. I think INFJs may read into the situation more than INFPs, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Going on the idea that I'm an INFJ and my sister is an INFP, I have noticed that she will get swept away emotionally more with her friends, stories, or feelings, and then will also need down time, but she has never craved living completely alone in the forest like I have. Perhaps the INFP can be done with one person and the INFJ done with reality? When I'm hurt by someone, they hurt me individually, but they also represent every time that has happened, and so when I encounter a hurtful behavior, it echoes a thousand times in my mind for each instance, and it makes everything feel doomed to repeat.

I should read over all the INFJ and INFP descriptions again, because I think there are inconsistencies in the actual definitions, which makes this confusion a bit more of a problem. It's clearer to people relying on only one source for the definitions.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=29846]Perspective[/MENTION] - You're probably best off learning about the functions. Read as much as you can, and then let the information crystallize for a bit. (Sounds like you're already on your way.)

Type descriptions by themselves can be a good way to get your feet wet, but beyond that I find them unhelpful. The why or how is generally more important than the what you might see on the surface. (Being deeply religious, emotionally considerate, and good with children does not an INFJ make, though I've seen it said so often that it started to stand out as somehow being part of the package.)

Also! There are tons of people who seem to (mistakenly) fancy themselves INFJ because it's rare and "omg deep emotions!" and "I can read people so well but they don't know me at all." Let's be real here: most people think they're hot shit at sussing out the motivations of others and then judging them accordingly. That's a pretty human trait - just gonna throw that out there.

More than anything, it's okay to be confused! I also first typed as INTP a long time ago and sort of dismissed it because it was only half accurate, in that vague, could-really-apply-to-anyone-if-you-squint kind of way. More importantly, it was a pretty basic online test that was sniffing for a dichotomy preference - a method unlikely to get the job done. Years later I went back and did some digging and, like you, found myself examining INFJ and INFP as my top candidates. Their descriptions often make them sound pretty similar, right? Well, turns out INFJ and INFP don't use any of the same four primary processes. Though I have friends of each flavor, I actually tend to get along better with ISTPs than INFPs, because we're less likely to accidentally bump elbows/confuse each other.

For what it's worth, so far you strike me as favoring Ne. The way you structure your thoughts has a very stream-of-consciousness flow to it, sort of branching out in every direction as your ideas occur to you. Consequently, I'mma vote INFP. Check it out, though.

Perhaps the INFP can be done with one person and the INFJ done with reality? When I'm hurt by someone, they hurt me individually, but they also represent every time that has happened, and so when I encounter a hurtful behavior, it echoes a thousand times in my mind for each instance, and it makes everything feel doomed to repeat.

I really like the way you describe this. I think I feel it, too. An event becomes a symbol, thematically matching or complementing previous symbols (and ones inevitably yet to come). If especially wonderful or traumatic, an experience adds to a thematic loop and begins to feel like a very deep truth, heavy with implications for the future - the same thing happening again and again in different ways, echoing through different layers of time. The sensation reminds me of Inception's collapsing dreams.

Personally, though, I'm an optimist; even though I know better, I have a great track record of metaphorically sticking my hand in the garbage disposal for short term thrills. Sometimes I crave things or miss people, even when I know they're bad for me.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're right but what you're implying seems wrong to me. Kind of hard to say why, but the best answer I can give right now is this: their intention isn't. I think they may try to elevate their self image so they can try to be more social but not necessarily to control someone either. Being fake and manipulative are two very different things in my book.

i think you misread what i implied... my favorite infj does it for her mental health... she is a "helper" sort that wants to save the world...

I'm sure that happens, although, it is likely the majority of humans who attempt to present themselves as better than they are. I would say that some of the more socially adept INFJs could be included in that. The ones I've known are really hard on themselves, and I know I certainly am. Nothing is simple enough to inspire confidence and horn-tutting socially.

I've known INFJs who actually present themselves kinda intentionally off-base in a way that I think almost tests people to see if they are open minded enough. An elderly lady who is an INFJ friend has also told me how she can't wear black because the vibrational energy pulls her down, and she has a reputation for being a bit 'off', but I find her insightful and unencumbered by being in much of a conventional box at all.

I think INFJs can observe the complex game dynamics in social contexts, but it's like through a glass window. All of the subtext is too overwhelming to the introvert. INFJs are described by Kiersey as becoming physically sick in negative environments. In many individuals and instances they don't play the game, but are more like the kid in dodgeball getting hit with all the balls, although they can see the complex trajectory of all the many balls, alas, they are left to do nothing but get smushed by them.

that sounds about right...

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Imo, INFJ's are lofty, impractical, and much more patient than INFP's. An INFP expects to create movement in the world much more quickly. An INFP might spent too much time on one little detail of a project, and then get sick of the whole thing towards the end, and slop through it. But it gets done.

The INFJ just seems to have all the time in the world to lecture about unrealistic ideas about leadership and to nit-pick the hell out of everything. The idea for them is not to finish a project, but for everyone involved to achieve personal growth and for us to thank her at the end.

Perspective

MBTI Type
INFx
Enneagram
5w4
I've done my homework and studied the cognitive functions. I am most certainly Fe and Ti dominant. A little foggy on whether or not I am Ni or Ne, as well as Si or Se.
I took a few quizzes and always got Ni. Even with all the research I've done, it's still so hard to decipher which I use more often because, as of right now, they seem so similar to me. Since Ni, Fe, and Ti are the functions for INFJ, I'm going to assume I'd be closer to to that rather than INFP. However, I do relate more to Si which is an INFP function. I would like to know how important an inferior function is, because INFJ's is Se and I'm not so sure as to how much I actually use that.
thank you everyone for your help, btw<3