• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How can I type myself correctly?

eniko99

MBTI Type
ENTP
A few months (6 months I think) ago, I found out about the MBTI, I took the test(s) and got mostly INTJ. The descriptions were very accurate, it was even kinda scary. Logical, organized, reserved, committed - and most importantly visionary - were the adjectives that were being used to describe me. I also got interested in the MBTI theory as a whole later on. I started reading more about it (mostly about INTJ's), analyze every aspect of it and unfortunately become annoyingly obsessed with it that my brain automatically started to type (still does) people. Being, supposedly, an INTJ also increased my self confidence quite a lot, since I used to be very self conscious and had extremely low confidence. But, something didn't feel right; many people on forums were labeling INTJ's as being assholes, offensive, unemotional, etc. I have always been honest (sometimes too honest for my good), but I am also very polite, respectful, I try not to hurt others and most importantly I have emotions, very strong ones indeed but I never show them openly except to the people that are closest to me, and I also get hurt when people insult things that I deem important (especially intelligence hehe). I disregarded all of this as me having low confidence and still being relatively immature and young (I'm 17). It still didn't feel right, I felt so fake trying to fit into one of the 16 stereotypes. To fix this, I started researching even more about the MBTI and found out about the cognitive functions. That was the point where I got utterly confused. Since then, I have literally typed myself as half of the possible types. The fact that I can relate to (almost) all the functions doesn't help at all.
Currently I'm am in a serious identity crisis, I feel like discovering the MBTI ruined my normal functioning, I can't remember how I acted before all of this. Instead of preparing my college application I spent nearly all of my summer reading about this BS. I could even say that I was reading about it involuntarily, whenever I started doing something else to distract me, I would always get back to it. I used to have a very active mind thinking about ideas and stuff, but now the only thing I think when I zone out is typology. I even lost my interest in things I used to love. I deeply hate this obsession.
All of this probably sound like I'm depressed, but I sincerely don't think I am...
Could anyone please enlighten me, give me some insight, either on how to finally type myself correctly and never think about it again or even better how to get over this suffocating obsession that makes me feel like a claustrophobic trapped in a dark closed space.
Professional help is not available in the place I live and my parents won't understand me.

I'm aware that the post is long(ish) and my English a bit broken I apologize for that but I needed to get it out somehow so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in regards!

sardonic delight

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd step away from MBTI for awhile. Every type has stereotypes that aren't true. INTJs are not the heartless assholes of mbti. Though I do believe another type fits that description better. :newwink: I'm an obsessive person too and got quite obsessed with it myself. When things like these end up doing more harm that good then it's time to take a break. In the long run it's meant just to be some what helpful in your life.

Amber97

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
(i think it's kinda funny to point out INTJ's tend to get the most obsessed with stuff like MBTI :laugh: )

take some time away like sardonic said, ya? introspect, and objectively watch your own behavior around others. y'know, just do what's natural and try not to force actions onto yourself from whatever you assume yourself to be. usually a week's long enough. if you haven't already, research the functions. tumblr, personality cafe, reddit and here are pretty good places for resources (personal favourite is mbti-notes.tumblr.com who is also an INTJ) also, watch videos about people talking about their own type! see which ones you're most like and relate to most. there's a really good INTJ youtube channel :) old diaries tend to help too.

remember, you're young. you've barely developed as a person, and you'll continue to do so. most people who are accurately typed are like, 25-40, so just keep that in mind ;D