• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does anyone think I am NOT an INFP?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If INFP is one of the types that you're considering, then that's ok.

However, if you think I am definitely NOT an INFP, why?

It seems obvious because:
- I am a very quiet person who is kind and good maths and philosophy and psychology and things of that nature and also I am very laidback and if I am a type other than INFP then surely it has to be a type very similar to INFP because otherwise why would INFP seem like such an obvious choice?

It is quite bizarre if I am a different type, however definitely conceivable, now ISFP seems hard to imagine but possible and so too of ENFP, and if INFJ is truly the case then that seems really rather peculiar, and yeah.

Could an extrovert type seem so clearly like an introvert in real life that they are described as one of the quitest people that different people have ever met? I think yes, an extrovert could be like that because extroversion is perhaps correlated to verbosity however the correlation can oftentimes be gone against, and so an extrovert could obviously seem heavily introverted.

Now, could a sensing type seem to be so good at mathematics and philosophy and psychology when these are stereotypically N>T, N, N>F (?) Interests, specifically?

Now, what about T vs F... could a T seem so... disregarding of self? So focused on the effect being had on others rather than the consequences that they will face themself? It seems bizarre, unless I am like some Mastermind INTJ who is going super Fi or something as some long-range scheme... conceivable.

Now, P vs J... idk, could be either. I am super laidback calm go with the flow even if I am like dying inside omfg but yeah I can be organised but not super-organised, I guess Si auxiliary would seem the strangest in that case as they are the most Jish J's right? Well anyway, I don't even know who would seem themself as more Pish out of IJ and IP so I don't even know here but yeah EJ seems the strangest, not sure about the other dominant functions but yeah.

What do you think?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It seems that I am an ENTP who identifies as a Feeler for some reason.

Maybe since no one believes I am an extrovert, I say well then I must be a Feeler in that case.

Whatever, ENTP, with some kind of issues.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has this always been your screen name?
I thought you were a xxTP, honestly. ENTP doesn't seem like a bad option.
Why not INTP?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Has this always been your screen name?
I thought you were a xxTP, honestly. ENTP doesn't seem like a bad option.
Why not INTP?

I fit almost all Reinin dichotomies for ILE, in socionics.

I fit the ENTP style of Ti, based on Dario Nardi's neuroscience.

Si-inferior makes more sense than Fe-inferior.

I'm definitely people-focused in a way that INTP's tend to not be.

The only thing which would seem to contradict ENTP is how introverted I seem.

ENTP's can seem introverted too. I just tend to not talk a whole lot.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I still think you're NF, but I'm afraid to talk because this will most likely change tomorrow. You should hire a MBTI forecaster ;)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I still think you're NF, but I'm afraid to talk because this will most likely change tomorrow. You should hire a MBTI forecaster ;)

I think it did change that day, didn't it? :p

I think I am INFP again... I've "tried on" most of the personality types, to see how well they fit my personality. However, at the end of the day, INFP is still the most likely option, and I suspect that it will always be that way.

I thought I might be a very quiet and isolated extrovert. That seems incredibly difficult to really argue for, however.

I've considered that I may be an NJ type, Ni dominant in particular. However, that is also very difficult to make a case for. My behaviour suggests that I have a very low use of extroverted judgement, for one, and the way that Ni is described... that sense of just knowing, of predicting the future and that certain kind of psychoanalysis so typical of Ni types... how could it fit?

Se as a strong function also seems highly unlikely. For one, I am physically unco-ordinated. The socionics descriptions of Se as focused on things like power and territory are completely out of line with me. I try to maintain an awareness of my surroundings, and I do tend to enjoy intense sensations, however I would not say that I am the sort to have too high of a conscious grasp of what is in my immediate surroundings, or that of the broader area, and I generally not a very physical person. I also tend to read cues quite poorly.

It also seems highly difficult to argue that I would be a Thinking type, as my behaviour and thinking tends to not really follow a logical process, nor a self-interested process (I mention the Thinking function as generally being self-interested in the sense that it correlates with the Big 5 dimension of egotism, as opposed to agreeableness). I value harmony, I value romance, I value kindness, and I tend to experience life through a more emotionally based lens.

I would say I am Fi rather than Fe, as my understanding of common moral standards is rather poor. I have a highly refined understanding of ethics in a more philosophical sense, however not in a more shared sense, in that I go by what I feel is right, whether it is backed up by the majority or not. However, in saying that, I am, in my view, highly effected nonetheless by the moral standards promoted by society, yet I seem quite unaware of what they are. My default mode of operation is to approach people with an attitude of kindness, yet I feel that I constantly cross the boundaries of social customs, and may cause offense without knowing it.

I am still unsure as to why so many people suggest that I am a TP type. It's mentioned quite frequently, yet I have not been given the reasoning. While I fit the ENTP style of Ti, according to what I've read on forums regarding Dario Nardi's study of the neuroscience behind types, I still fit his correlations with Ti less-so than the majority of other functions. I believe I fit Te more than Ti, by this standard. Yet, how could I be a strong Te user, when I lack any kind of... commanding ability, and I tend not to value what I often see Te types as supposedly valuing - such as "points earned", financial and career success, order. I tend to lack skill in reasoning objectively, or in maintaining organisation and orderliness around me, and my behaviour is not typically productive in the usual sense of the word (to me, what I do is productive, however not in getting things done per se). For me, if I've helped someone to feel good about themself, or to laugh, or to learn something new, then I've been productive.

So, I think I've covered the functions that INFP tend to have trouble in, and how they seem a strange fit for me. Hopefully in the next post I will outline how Fi, Ne and Si do seem to fit me. (or, at the very least, how Fi and Ne fit me)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I see myself somewhat as a moral philosopher, i.e. I think a lot about right and wrong. I guess being philosophical may seem Ti, however there are plenty of INFP philosophers.

Briefly:

Fi - I believe I am a great listener and I am attuned to tone of voice, I am kind and compassionate as a default, I am the sort of person who tries to stick up for the underdog, although I often see myself as being the underdog. My internal sense of right and wrong is highly developed, and has been so for as long as I can remember.

Ne - I use wordplay constantly, I am good at coming up with analogies on the fly, even right now I am brainstorming and looking through different ideas relating to functions, I enjoy ideas and metaphors (N), and I like unconventionality. I am very creative and imaginative.

Si - when I type people, it tends to be based more on similarities between people, as opposed to properly psychoanalysing how that person thinks. I can often be quite habitual in my activities, especially if depressed, and I used to look a lot at the past however mostly in a negative sense of regret over past mistakes and what I could have done differently.

This just came up on google for the "IFP child":

https://www.personalitypage.com/html/kids/IFP.html
IFP Traits. Very idealistic; Take things seriously and personally; Quiet and gentle; Extremely sensitive; Shy and reserved with strangers; Enjoy reading ..

I'm certainly sensitive and idealistic, quiet and gentle, shy and reserved; I try to not take things personally or seriously, however, I have the unfortunate tendency to often do so.

I would say Fi rather than Ne as the dominant function, since my brainstorming processes aren't really constant like I would imagine them to be for an Ne dominant type.

I would say that my quiet, idealistic, kind temperament is constant.

chado

MBTI Type
infp
If INFP is one of the types that you're considering, then that's ok.

However, if you think I am definitely NOT an INFP, why?

It seems obvious because:
- I am a very quiet person who is kind and good maths and philosophy and psychology and things of that nature and also I am very laidback and if I am a type other than INFP then surely it has to be a type very similar to INFP because otherwise why would INFP seem like such an obvious choice?

It is quite bizarre if I am a different type, however definitely conceivable, now ISFP seems hard to imagine but possible and so too of ENFP, and if INFJ is truly the case then that seems really rather peculiar, and yeah.

Could an extrovert type seem so clearly like an introvert in real life that they are described as one of the quitest people that different people have ever met? I think yes, an extrovert could be like that because extroversion is perhaps correlated to verbosity however the correlation can oftentimes be gone against, and so an extrovert could obviously seem heavily introverted.

Now, could a sensing type seem to be so good at mathematics and philosophy and psychology when these are stereotypically N>T, N, N>F (?) Interests, specifically?

Now, what about T vs F... could a T seem so... disregarding of self? So focused on the effect being had on others rather than the consequences that they will face themself? It seems bizarre, unless I am like some Mastermind INTJ who is going super Fi or something as some long-range scheme... conceivable.

Now, P vs J... idk, could be either. I am super laidback calm go with the flow even if I am like dying inside omfg but yeah I can be organised but not super-organised, I guess Si auxiliary would seem the strangest in that case as they are the most Jish J's right? Well anyway, I don't even know who would seem themself as more Pish out of IJ and IP so I don't even know here but yeah EJ seems the strangest, not sure about the other dominant functions but yeah.

What do you think?

first off i cant see your profile propaly are you male or female?
secondly i could never say perhaps infp,infj or intj?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
first off i cant see your profile propaly are you male or female?
secondly i could never say perhaps infp,infj or intj?

It's not listed on my profile. I'm male.

So you think I may really be an Ni dominant?

I do consider Ni a bit. I can relate to Dario Nardi's descriptions of how it is sort of zen, and can go really deep when thinking about "Why..." sort of questions.

However I am unsure if it is truly Ni what I do. Obviously my understanding of cognitive functions is quite poor. :p

yoliyoli

Mm, no you seem like INFP or ISFP to me. You got that Te-inferior thing going. I don't know how to explain it but you just do. It might be because there's an absence where Ni or Si should be, and then Te fills that gap. Yah. Let's see, and Se seems more apparent for some reason. I don't see INFP. Si doesn't have to be physical, just as Se doesn't have to be physical. They're both two different modes of processing. It's how they process that's different. How do they abstractify? Do they abstractify? What if? Se processes like this: "hey, let's take in all data possible and then filter it out" while Si processes like this "let's take in all data possible and then explode it." Ni is a filterer, Ne is an abstractifier and something like a saucepan. Make sense? I hope not. Haha. Anyway, you probably use Ne. Or Ni. Who cares. But probably Ni. I know an Ni when I see one. If you're not exploding data every second, it's not your aux (Ne).

So Ni, yeah. And ISFP.