• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pretty sure I'm ENFP but...

PurpleDawn

OK so I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFP, but I question it quite frequently for various reasons. I sometimes think I'm in fact an INFP, due to the amount of time I spend in my head, & my enneagram type being a definite 4w3. Is this normal for ENFPs? I see a lot of people saying that being in your head most of the time makes you more of an introvert, & that enneagram 4 is much more common in INFPs than ENFPs. The thing is, while I'm typically in my head most of the time, off in introspection, ideas, theories, & the like, I'm also a pretty social person & enjoy being around people, making friends, bonding with others, ect. The other problem is that ENFPs are stereotypical type 7s in the enneagram system, whereas I usually score quite average to below average in type 7 when I take the test, instead scoring extremely high in types 3 & 4. As for my cognitive functions, they only make the issue worse. I consistently come up as Ne = Fi, Te, Ni, Si, Fe, Ti, Se, which makes me even more confused seeing as though my dom and aux are equal, & how Se is my least used function when many ENFPs (despite Se being their devil function) say that they indulge fully in novelty, living in the moment, & in experience, similar to enneagram 7. This is a trait I completely lack, as I instead choose to bask in my thoughts & emotions constantly, never running away from them, & find it much, much more frightening to have my individuality & emotions taken away than to be deprived of excitement. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, & feel free to ask any questions you'd like, thanks! :)

Last edited:

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
F types that spend loads of time in their own head? INFP, ENFP, INFJ, ISFP, they all do. Question is, what kinds of things do you think about when you're in your own head?

Based on what you wrote here, content and style alike, I'd say you're ENFP.
And while you're type 4, your wing 3 makes you a lot more "social", "out-going", "people-oriented" than the fellows of wing 5.

With the cognitive function test, I'd say I won't rely on it way too much, at least in my own case, as I often get Fi and Fe, Ni and Ne, Si and Se almost equal respectively. And though tests and people's comments indicate that I could really be either INFP or INFJ, I just know I am INFP.

Nobody is just of one single personality type. You're not of only one element. You could have traits of several different personalities combined, depending on the situation you're in.
Have you taken this test: John's Personality Test? It shows you your personality type component, and oftentimes, the 2 types you score highest are the ones you most likely behave like.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK so I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFP, but I question it quite frequently for various reasons. I sometimes think I'm in fact an INFP, due to the amount of time I spend in my head, & my enneagram type being a definite 4w3. Is this normal for ENFPs? I see a lot of people saying that being in your head most of the time makes you more of an introvert, & that enneagram 4 is much more common in INFPs than ENFPs. The thing is, while I'm typically in my head most of the time, off in introspection, ideas, theories, & the like, I'm also a pretty social person & enjoy being around people, making friends, bonding with others, ect. The other problem is that ENFPs are stereotypical type 7s in the enneagram system, whereas I usually score quite average to below average in type 7 when I take the test, instead scoring extremely high in types 3 & 4. As for my cognitive functions, they only make the issue worse. I consistently come up as Ne = Fi, Te, Ni, Si, Fe, Ti, Se, which makes me even more confused seeing as though my dom and aux are equal, & how Se is my least used function when many ENFPs (despite Se being their devil function) say that they indulge fully in novelty, living in the moment, & in experience, similar to enneagram 7. This is a trait I completely lack, as I instead choose to bask in my thoughts & emotions constantly, never running away from them, & find it much, much more frightening to have my individuality & emotions taken away than to be deprived of excitement & optimism. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, & feel free to ask any questions you'd like, thanks! :)

ENFP's are often cited as the most introverted of the extroverts as they do take alone time to reflect and have head space.

One thing which is usually a big tell tale is weather you are drained by social situations. INFP's tend to feel exhausted after spending time with friends or at social gatherings and need to have time alone to recharge after each one. Whereas ENFP's are sorta the opposite, they feel energised by being in social situations and with friends but occasionally need alone time, though we can want a fair chunk of alone time. I put a vid up if myself to see if others connect. I'm ENFP 7W6 though could also see myself as a 4, more so recently though have always been non-conformist and anti mainstream.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
OK so I'm pretty sure I'm an ENFP, but I question it quite frequently for various reasons. I sometimes think I'm in fact an INFP, due to the amount of time I spend in my head, & my enneagram type being a definite 4w3. Is this normal for ENFPs? I see a lot of people saying that being in your head most of the time makes you more of an introvert, & that enneagram 4 is much more common in INFPs than ENFPs. The thing is, while I'm typically in my head most of the time, off in introspection, ideas, theories, & the like, I'm also a pretty social person & enjoy being around people, making friends, bonding with others, ect. The other problem is that ENFPs are stereotypical type 7s in the enneagram system, whereas I usually score quite average to below average in type 7 when I take the test, instead scoring extremely high in types 3 & 4. As for my cognitive functions, they only make the issue worse. I consistently come up as Ne = Fi, Te, Ni, Si, Fe, Ti, Se, which makes me even more confused seeing as though my dom and aux are equal, & how Se is my least used function when many ENFPs (despite Se being their devil function) say that they indulge fully in novelty, living in the moment, & in experience, similar to enneagram 7. This is a trait I completely lack, as I instead choose to bask in my thoughts & emotions constantly, never running away from them, & find it much, much more frightening to have my individuality & emotions taken away than to be deprived of excitement & optimism. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, & feel free to ask any questions you'd like, thanks! :)

Some people may view Enneagram and MBTI correlation differently, but I'm not one to believe that just because you have this enneagram you can't be this MBTI type or that. Since Enneagram is based on core fears and MBTI is based on thought process and how one interacts with information, I basically think of Enneagram as "Emotion" and MBTI as "Thinking". So the two can blend and intertwine any which way. Basically, if you don't align too well with an e7 typing, I wouldn't worry about it. You could still be ENFP. Actually, I relate to your post quite well myself if that means anything. Though, just because a bunch of people clustered together are of the same type, there will still be many differences between them.

As far as being "in the moment". I would say yes and no with regarding ENFP types, or at least how I think of the type to be. Yes I like to be in the moment, but in reality, I'm nowhere closer to "the moment" than anyone else. I'd say that's more of an Se dominant thing to enjoy. Ne likes to explore and fiddle with things, much like Se, but it's seeking meaning and connections beneath the surface. So, while superficially, it can look like ENFPs live in the moment, in reality, I'd say they are less in the moment than what you see. For example, even if I go to some event or place that has all of this sensual experience around me, lights, music, smells, the works! I'm not going to be able to stay in the moment for too long. I notice I tend to switch back and forth from the moment, and in some head space where I'm just sitting there as an observer, and I can't not do that. It's bizarre.

Also, I totally relate to being stuck in a head space with too much thought or emotion. I wish I can get out of it here and there and just enjoy life for the simplicity it really can be. Instead, I'm searching for meaning all the time, and how it all makes me feel. This is why I envy ESFPs or at least try to hang out with them often :newwink: Even if just for a brief moment, they help me to escape this headspace and just relax.

PurpleDawn

F types that spend loads of time in their own head? INFP, ENFP, INFJ, ISFP, they all do. Question is, what kinds of things do you think about when you're in your own head?

Based on what you wrote here, content and style alike, I'd say you're ENFP.
And while you're type 4, your wing 3 makes you a lot more "social", "out-going", "people-oriented" than the fellows of wing 5.

With the cognitive function test, I'd say I won't rely on it way too much, at least in my own case, as I often get Fi and Fe, Ni and Ne, Si and Se almost equal respectively. And though tests and people's comments indicate that I could really be either INFP or INFJ, I just know I am INFP.

Nobody is just of one single personality type. You're not of only one element. You could have traits of several different personalities combined, depending on the situation you're in.
Have you taken this test: John's Personality Test? It shows you your personality type component, and oftentimes, the 2 types you score highest are the ones you most likely behave like.

Thanks! I took that test and came up xNFP, so I suppose I act like both which is what I'd have imagined.

PurpleDawn

ENFP's are often cited as the most introverted of the extroverts as they do take alone time to reflect and have head space.

One thing which is usually a big tell tale is weather you are drained by social situations. INFP's tend to feel exhausted after spending time with friends or at social gatherings and need to have time alone to recharge after each one. Whereas ENFP's are sorta the opposite, they feel energised by being in social situations and with friends but occasionally need alone time, though we can want a fair chunk of alone time. I put a vid up if myself to see if others connect. I'm ENFP 7W6 though could also see myself as a 4, more so recently though have always been non-conformist and anti mainstream.

I definitely DO feel energized being around other people, but sometimes I feel I'd rather not be energized & kind of just bask in introspection, & I more prefer to be one on one. As for enneagram, I view myself as a 4 due to my way of wanting to be different from the group & individual, & finding being part of a group or not special to be unsafe in some way or another. Also because of my kind of thirst for deep intimacy, but that's most likely the sx variant.

PurpleDawn

Some people may view Enneagram and MBTI correlation differently, but I'm not one to believe that just because you have this enneagram you can't be this MBTI type or that. Since Enneagram is based on core fears and MBTI is based on thought process and how one interacts with information, I basically think of Enneagram as "Emotion" and MBTI as "Thinking". So the two can blend and intertwine any which way. Basically, if you don't align too well with an e7 typing, I wouldn't worry about it. You could still be ENFP. Actually, I relate to your post quite well myself if that means anything. Though, just because a bunch of people clustered together are of the same type, there will still be many differences between them.

As far as being "in the moment". I would say yes and no with regarding ENFP types, or at least how I think of the type to be. Yes I like to be in the moment, but in reality, I'm nowhere closer to "the moment" than anyone else. I'd say that's more of an Se dominant thing to enjoy. Ne likes to explore and fiddle with things, much like Se, but it's seeking meaning and connections beneath the surface. So, while superficially, it can look like ENFPs live in the moment, in reality, I'd say they are less in the moment than what you see. For example, even if I go to some event or place that has all of this sensual experience around me, lights, music, smells, the works! I'm not going to be able to stay in the moment for too long. I notice I tend to switch back and forth from the moment, and in some head space where I'm just sitting there as an observer, and I can't not do that. It's bizarre.

Also, I totally relate to being stuck in a head space with too much thought or emotion. I wish I can get out of it here and there and just enjoy life for the simplicity it really can be. Instead, I'm searching for meaning all the time, and how it all makes me feel. This is why I envy ESFPs or at least try to hang out with them often :newwink: Even if just for a brief moment, they help me to escape this headspace and just relax.

Thanks for the info, was helpful! As for my response to the enneagram thing, I expressed that in the above reply

Lia_kat

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You may have low extroversion like me. I usually score about 5%-7%. You can retake the test and see the percentage. Just a thought.
I thought I was an INFP for a while but realized recently that it was mostly due to anxiety/depression issues.
ENFPs require a lot more alone time compared to other extroverts, like [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] mentioned. I'm in my head constantly.
And it's not uncommon for ENFPs to be 4w3s. This article has a lot of interesting information you might find useful: The Enneagram Blogspot: New! 4w3 vs. 7w6 - Misidentifying

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Sounds more INFP.

I think Feelers like to be social more than Thinkers do.

Fi dominants can be stimulated by listening to others.

PurpleDawn

You may have low extroversion like me. I usually score about 5%-7%. You can retake the test and see the percentage. Just a thought.
I thought I was an INFP for a while but realized recently that it was mostly due to anxiety/depression issues.
ENFPs require a lot more alone time compared to other extroverts, like [MENTION=9160]HelenOfTroy[/MENTION] mentioned. I'm in my head constantly.
And it's not uncommon for ENFPs to be 4w3s. This article has a lot of interesting information you might find useful: The Enneagram Blogspot: New! 4w3 vs. 7w6 - Misidentifying

why I think I'm a 4w3 sx/sp:

I will have an idealized fantasy of who I am, adapt it as a part of who i am, & gain my energy from pride of what I imagine myself to be in said fantasy (mostly because of it involves me being unique), then if its shot down by reality ill hold onto it for a long time & won't let go, I'll try to defend it, over analyze it, & can get quite stubborn & obsessed in this manor. I end up justifying my current identity to myself & others. Once I can finally accept that the fantasy wasn't realistic (can take weeks to months depending on the situation), I'll start spending hours trying to seek out a new form of identity, trying on different faces to see what fits or feels "cool" or "unique" to me at that point in time. After that identity is found, I stick to it & the process repeats. My personality research follows this a little bit, as I try on new types to see what fits most and is the true ME. The only difference being that the personality study has more the focus of me wanting to be understood rather than the focus on becoming a unique idealization & appearing that way to myself & others. The thing is, I can be realistic & have decent use of Te, but only in dealing with external objectives & situations. When it comes to dealing with internal things like identity, relationships, spirituality, & the like I have no realism in me whatsoever.

Oh and I went back and re took the 16 personalities test. It'd been a while since I've been mainly relying on function order to tell type (Was brutally honest, tried to use no idealizations) I came up: 67% extraverted, 95% Intuitive, 82% Feeling, 97% Prospecting

Last edited:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely DO feel energized being around other people, but sometimes I feel I'd rather not be energized & kind of just bask in introspection, & I more prefer to be one on one. As for enneagram, I view myself as a 4 due to my way of wanting to be different from the group & individual, & finding being part of a group or not special to be unsafe in some way or another. Also because of my kind of thirst for deep intimacy, but that's most likely the sx variant.

Screams ENFP, did you see my vid?