• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I REALLY an INTP?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems like no matter what type I think I am, someone always comes along and tells me I'm something else. Lately, a lot of ENTPs have been making me question my INTPness (specifically my use of Ti). The main types I'm thinking I might be are ISFJ, ISFP, INFP, or INTP. I've actually started to lean more toward thinking I'm a sensor, for various reasons, and I think it's very possible that I'm some sort of feeler. Anway, I guess I'll fill out this questionnaire I found (I think it's a socionics questionnaire but meh) and let you guys decide.

Personal concepts
1.What is beauty? What is love?

Beauty is an attribute of anything that is pleasing to one's senses, whether it be a painting, a candle, a song... you get the point. Love is a feeling of such deep infatuation that it is painful to be separated from the other person (whether it is a friend, relative, significant other, etc.)

2. What are your most important values?

The only constant value I have is never letting anyone be bullied or otherwise stand alone. I'm always that one annoying person who sticks up for the person getting made fun of, ruining everyone's good time in the process.

3. Do you have any sort of spiritual/religious beliefs, and why do you hold (or don't) those beliefs in the first place?

I believe in various unrelated (or even contradicting) theories like heaven and reincarnation, but I don't follow any specific religion. I don't know why I believe in those things; they just make sense to me, even if it's very unlikely that they're both real.

4. Opinion on war and militaries? What is power to you?

They're necessary because no matter how accepting and compassionate you are, there will always be people who value force over diplomacy. Those people can't be reasoned with.

Power is the ability to change and manipulate (not in the negative sense of the word) situations, things, and people.

Interests
5. What have you had long conversations about? What are your interests? Why?

The only types of conversations that can hold my interest for a really long time are about people. Either specific people or groups of people or just society as a whole. My biggest interests are things like personalities, archetypes, hierarchies, classifications, etc. I like sorting people into groups and/or defining them.

6. Interested in health/medicine as a conversation topic? Are you focused on your body?

I'm a hypochondriac, so that would be a 'no.'
I'm not sure what the second part is asking.

7. What do you think of daily chores?

There's shit that has to get done. Eventually you get used to it. Once you work chores into your routine, they really feel no different than other daily tasks like showering and stuff.

8. Books or films you liked? Recently read/watched or otherwise. Examples welcome.

I'm not much of a reader, but some of my favorite movies are Deadpool, Suicide Squad, Iron Man, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, The Devil Wears Prada, Fifty Shades of Grey (yes, I actually liked it), and The Breakfast Club. I like anything with dynamic characters, or with interesting character backgrounds.

9. What has made you cry? What has made you smile? Why?

Usually when I cry, it's usually caused by a) looking at my situation from an outside perspective as if I'm watching a movie and realizing it's really sad or sentimental, not out of self-pity but more like some detached form of empathy, or b) out of sheer frustration. I also cry during emotional scenes in shows and movies, but that doesn't really count.

I smile at cute stuff like romantic gestures, and stuff that I find entertaining and random. Like earlier today, I saw a post that was this guy asking if anyone in the group (an MBTI group) was looking for a relationship, so I casually posted a link to meetme.com and said nothing. It made me smile.

10. Where do you feel: at one with the environment/a sense of belonging?

Anywhere that is quiet, tranquil, safe, warm, and somewhat aesthetically pleasing. This includes cafes, bookstores, libraries, and similar places.

Evaluation & Behaviour
11. What have people seen as your weaknesses? What do you dislike about yourself?

People are always telling me that I care way too much about what other people think. I dislike that I'm unlikable, and that I'm so bad at making friends.

12. What have people seen as your strengths? What do you like about yourself?

Most of the compliments I get are some form of either "you're really nice" or "you're real and honest." I like that I give so much in my relationships; I treat my close friends and significant others (not others as in plural, but like whoever I'm dating at the time) like royalty.

13. In what areas of your life would you like help?

I'd like to get help managing my anxiety.

14. Ever feel stuck in a rut? If yes, describe the causes and your reaction to it.

Yes, especially recently. It's usually caused by a lack of enjoyment in pretty much anything. My reaction is to slowly change things until I figure out what was causing the problem. I'm actually in a rut right now and I quit my job a few days ago thinking that was the problem, but things haven't improved much, so it must be something else.

People & Interactions
15. What qualities do you most like and dislike in other people? What types do you get along with?

I like when people don't take things too seriously, and I absolutely cannot stand when people are uptight, or when people dislike people for being "lazy" or "disrespectful."

16. How do you feel about romance/sex? What qualities do you want in a partner?

I could write on this topic for hours. I'm very romantic and sexual. In fact, most of the time it's my primary motivation in life. Not like, having a nice family or a stable marriage or anything like that, but just having a passionate, sensual relationship with lots of attraction and lots of excitement.

The most important quality for a partner is that they're compassionate and empathetic. Above all else, I need someone who can calm me down when I'm anxious or panicked. It's not a preference or a "like" but a need. I also have a strong preference for dominant partners, but again, in a more romantic/sexual sense than a traditional sense. I also tend to be attracted to guys who are into obscure things like gaming, fantasy novels, and metal music, because I like that they stand out from society. It's sort of like finding a unicorn.

17. If you were to raise a child, what would be your main concerns, what measures would you take, and why?

My main concerns would be social interaction and self-expression. I never really "fit in" as a kid, and most of my interests/thoughts were dismissed as "weird" by my parents, so I want to make sure my kids have a decent support system and feel accepted. I'd take the lenient "friend" approach to parenting, because fuck people who use fear tactics to turn their kids into obedient robots.

18. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward and outward reaction?

It depends on the belief. If he/she says something about supporting gun control, for example, I'd explain the reasons for my position but ultimately not care. If he/she made a comment like "kids and teens need to learn their place," I'd probably be polite outwardly but not associate with him/her anymore.

19. Describe your relationship to society. How do you see people as a whole? What do you consider a prevalent social problem? Name one.

I'm an outside observer. I watch people and frequently make judgments, but I never really feel like a part of anything. As a whole, I see people as self-sorting. People tend to define themselves through the people they associate with, and hang out in groups that are like-minded. I'm not sure what the third part is asking.

20. How do you choose your friends and how do you behave around them?

I choose them based on if I feel comfortable talking to them. I can usually tell when someone dislikes me, is sympathetic toward me, or genuinely accepts me. Common interests help too. The way I behave around them changes frequently.

21. How do you behave around strangers?

I choose my words carefully and try to exude whatever image I'm going for at the time, because every first impression I make is a chance to reinvent myself.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Lots of ENTPs told me that I'm an ENTP rather than an ENFP. I wouldn't always trust what they say and many people on here seem to read too much into the astrology-like MBTI descriptions.

MBTI contains 16 categories with personality traits assigned to them. Which of these categories you are classified in is based on which traits you prefer. As every one of the 7 billion people on Earth has there own unique combination of traits in their personality and prefers different things, very few people actually match one of the categories perfectly, so you choose the one that is the closest match. Like most statistical categories, you can't work it backwards and say person A is XXXX type therefore they must have this specific trait or must prefer this specific trait.

The functions are a different way of looking at which traits are favoured in each category. Because it relates to preference, people can be dominant Ti and have a reverence to logic but suck at it. Or many other variations. Preference is different to strengths, for example I was the only one in my year to ace the logic test at high school because I understood logic, but I have no Ti in my type, I think logic is boring and I often prefer illogical chaos over structure. In the same way, I'm naturally good at computer programming but hate having to do it.

I would guess from what you have said that you are either INTP or INFP, and maybe ISFP or ISTP. The following might help with figuring out the N and F parts.

I have no clues how extraverted intuition feels for others, but I'd describe it for me as a big picture view of the systems involved where sometimes your mind races and you see all the options but aren't sure which to pick and other times you just calmly know the answer and see the system without doing the working or even really paying attention to the problem. The idea of keeping contradictory beliefs is familiar. I generally hold them as a thought that I don't know which is right so I'll consider both possibly right and dismiss neither. I'm not sure if such a stance is more uncomfortable for some other types.

Introverted feeling is hard to describe, but I'd say those traits for me present as a moral filter and also an ever present idea of what is important to the whole. It might present differently to someone who is less driven by the intuition though.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get NeSi vibes. You seem xNxP but I wouldn't rule out a Ti-heavy ISFJ

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got Si Ti Fe Ne
I'm assuming ISFJ

Empyrean

Are you familiar with Foucault? Your conception of power appears very Foucaultian.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you familiar with Foucault? Your conception of power appears very Foucaultian.

I'm not; I don't usually follow philosophy-related stuff, but I looked him up and he seems interesting.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm assuming ISFJ at this point. I don't have the quickness of an NTP or the depth of an NF. It's just weird, because most of the ISFJs I've met have had very little in common with me. Usually, the people I hang out with are INxx types, where as ISFJs usually hang out with the ESFJs, ESFPs, ESTPs, etc. (if you've read my social hierarchy thread, that will make a lot more sense, so here's the link: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...es-clicking.html?highlight=social+groups+tier )

However, as far as ideas and worldview, I usually do "click" more with sensor-feelers. I think NFs can be too idealistic, sometimes ignoring the obvious, and thinking types in general can be too cynical. I guess that matters more than interests of popularity, but it's still just weird.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=23583]Yamato Nadeshiko[/MENTION]

Once he recovers his sobriety...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
fuck sobriety i can do thsi shit in my slee

I'm assuming ISFJ at this point. I don't have the quickness of an NTP or the depth of an NF. It's just weird, because most of the ISFJs I've met have had very little in common with me. Usually, the people I hang out with are INxx types, where as ISFJs usually hang out with the ESFJs, ESFPs, ESTPs, etc. (if you've read my social hierarchy thread, that will make a lot more sense, so here's the link: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...es-clicking.html?highlight=social+groups+tier )

However, as far as ideas and worldview, I usually do "click" more with sensor-feelers. I think NFs can be too idealistic, sometimes ignoring the obvious, and thinking types in general can be too cynical. I guess that matters more than interests of popularity, but it's still just weird.

eyheeee im mostly friends with ISxJs i dont have any extrovert friends then again i dont have many friends

sfjs usually get a bad rep so noo ne wants to type as one but the descriptions are like the least accurate thing on earth for me cuz like im not warm or nurturing or dripping with hte supposed fe-popularityness

in the end its all abt function preference rather than fitting a profile, s they wont fit the more analytical SiTi isfjs anyway

i have a thread with si stuff written if you want to muse abut if you relate to it or not

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...unctions/84438-learn-introverted-sensing.html
[MENTION=23915]Hawthorne[/MENTION] do you remember when we wtalked about ji and je and the ti hidden agenda and the being frustrated with not getting a je answer thing do you remember bc/ i havent the words

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
fuck sobriety i can do thsi shit in my slee

eyheeee im mostly friends with ISxJs i dont have any extrovert friends then again i dont have many friends

sfjs usually get a bad rep so noo ne wants to type as one but the descriptions are like the least accurate thing on earth for me cuz like im not warm or nurturing or dripping with hte supposed fe-popularityness

in the end its all abt function preference rather than fitting a profile, s they wont fit the more analytical SiTi isfjs anyway

i have a thread with si stuff written if you want to muse abut if you relate to it or not

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...unctions/84438-learn-introverted-sensing.html

:rotfl:

[MENTION=23915]Hawthorne[/MENTION] do you remember when we wtalked about ji and je and the ti hidden agenda and the being frustrated with not getting a je answer thing do you remember bc/ i havent the words

i remember this occurring but if you're asking me for details it's going to have to wait until the morning.

which means, a few days.

which means, probably never but maybe not.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Your answer to question 2 sounded very Fi, to me.

Your language in general seems fairly abstract, plus your answer to question 3, would indicate Ne.

There were also various other Fi indicators, such as being romantic, and good at reading others' feelings towards you.

My guess would be INFP.

The clearest indicator, that I noticed, of Fi being stronger than Ne was in question 19, where you describe yourself as an "outside observer" who "frequently makes judgements".

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm a someone. My fragile heart...

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
If you're a 6w5, I can see how that 5 influence could lead you to believe you're an INTP.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Based on my own custom 'tertiary' test, I'd guess ENTP for you. Tert function I think is the easiest one to pluck out of people because it tends to represent the core of what interests and fascinates them the most. Tert Si in INTPs involves a fascination with memory, familiar places, history, and chronology. Because of this they're most comfortable in familiar places that date back to childhood, and are fascinated by sequential changes in personal history. ENTPs, with tert Fe, are instead fascinated by people, collectivist ideals, sex, etc.