• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I can't figure out my type. I'm becoming extremely frustrated.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
For the last three years I've been trying to figure out my MBTI type. I've never taken an official MBTI test, and on most of the online test I get either INTJ or INFJ, and the preference for thinking over feeling is never strong. However, I'm starting to believe that I am a sensor. I just don't believe that I'm an intuitive, and I believe my personal interest are throwing my test results off.

I don't think I'm an INTJ or INFJ because I don't understand how dominant Ni works. Most websites just talk about it being "mystical" and "psychic", and they never go into depth about how dominant Ni actually WORKS. Whenever I go on to MBTI subs on reddit, the people there type me as an ISFJ or ISFP, because they say I'm not "deep" enough to be an intuitive. At this point I'm done with Reddit's MBTI communities, because all they talk about is pop culture and romance.

Before I left reddit, I lurked on some of their MBTI subs. I mostly lurked on the Ixxx subs. After looking at r/ISTJ, r/INTJ, r/ISTP, and r/INTP, I've crossed out the possibility of me being IXTJ or IXTP. r/ISFP and r/ISFJ seem pretty laid back and comfortable, though the subs are barely in use. When I lurk on the INFJ I can relate to several of the users there, but when I lurk on the INFP sub I feel as though I'm walking on eggshells, eventhough I'm not commenting on the sub.

In terms of being "deep", I feel as though I don't present myself in a very deep manner. I get the feeling that I give off a very absent-minded or ditzy vibe, since I'm extremely shy and I don't share my thoughts with the outer world. My inner life, though, is extremely deep. I think, feel, and analyze thoughts and emotions on an intense level.

I don't know if I can type myself anymore. I'm not sure if I have an accurate representation of myself, and I don't know how others perceive me. I feel as though I know my thoughts and feelings and why I think the way I do, but I don't know who I really am. It's as if I'm trying to mold myself in to an "idea woman" that society has told me is great, but I'm failing at it. It's gotten to the point that I no longer know my true self. I've tried so hard throughout my 21 years of living to fit in with my peers, but I've always felt like I can't relate to most people. For some reason, I've always attracted those who are considered the "outsiders": The troubled kids at school would confine in me, the "eccentric" and/or "future intellectual" kids thought I was interesting, and the "bad boys" wanted my mind, spirit, and body. I feel soulless, and as if I have no true identity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what my type is. If someone would like to ask questions, it will be appreciated, as I don't think that making a list of my personality traits is helping me type myself.

TheWebIWeave

MBTI Type
INTJ
You could be an ISFJ but you come off as an extremely extroverted feeler maybe even a perceiver too. I would guess you to be an ESTP who has yet to find their place in the world.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
You could be an ISFJ but you come off as an extremely extroverted feeler maybe even a perceiver too. I would guess you to be an ESTP who has yet to find their place in the world.

I'm pretty sure I'm not an extrovert. That's The only function I'm fairly certain of.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
For the last three years I've been trying to figure out my MBTI type. I've never taken an official MBTI test, and on most of the online test I get either INTJ or INFJ, and the preference for thinking over feeling is never strong. However, I'm starting to believe that I am a sensor. I just don't believe that I'm an intuitive, and I believe my personal interest are throwing my test results off.

Do not try and type yourself into MBTI directly. Use cognitive function preferences and Socionics and work backwards from that.

I find it hard to tell a Sensor from an iNtuitive through text - maybe upload a video of yourself talking. Be natural, don't read a script.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
Do not try and type yourself into MBTI directly. Use cognitive function preferences and Socionics and work backwards from that.

I find it hard to tell a Sensor from an iNtuitive through text - maybe upload a video of yourself talking. Be natural, don't read a script.

I'm too self conscious to upload a video of myself.

- - - Updated - - -

My seconded guess would be ISFJ

Why?

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
How can you tell an intuitive apart from a sensor by voice? I'm too embaressed to talk to myself in my room.

There is an old thread on Sociotypes and vocal style somewhere around. Have a look. I rate it.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
I decided to use the Personality Cafe Quistionnaire.

Personality Cafe MBTI Questionnaire:

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

•I feel as though I am not consistent with my behavior or desires. One moment I'll be super analytical and detached, and within the span of a few minutes I become an emotional wreck. On one hand, I have the desire to be a lone wolf, but on the other hand, I have the desire to love and be loved and run with the pack.It's almost as if there is some force inside of me that I don't have complete control over.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

•I yearn for inner and outer peacefulness. A sense of closure. I yearn for this because right now I feel chaotic. I want happiness in the world. I myself cannot feel at peace when the world is a mess, both on a "micro" and "macro"level.

•I want to obtain all of the knowledge I can. Right now I feel as though I don't have enough knowledge to survive in the world. I have a yearning to learn as much as I can.

•I dream of getting married to a man I love on an intellectual and spiritual level. I need to have that feeling that we get each other on a cerebral level. I would like to have children with him, and I desire to teach my children about the value and beauty of knowledge.

•I have a desire to teach people. I daydream about opening my own school that pushes young people above and beyond what they thought they are capable of. The school would focus on teaching students to form their own opinions on the world. I desire this because I believe I have a duty to help people on an academic level.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

•I felt my finest in my AP U.S. government class (sorry I don't have a lot of life experience...). The teacher I had made me push my mental limits, and I loved it. I often managed to get extra credit on essays, and my teacher once read my essay out loud as an example of what we were supposed to do with an assignment. I felt as though my teacher "got" me.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

•I always feel inferior. I guess life in and of itself makes me feel inferior. I don't understand how other people think. I don't get the obsession with celebrities, social media, and nit picking at every little thing about a person. I don't get why people desire to inject their opinion into every little thing. I don't get the desire to work at a corporate job you hate just for "status". I don't get society's obsession with materialistic values, such as what college you went to, what clothes you wear, etc. I constantly feel as though I'm crazy and weird because I don't live up to society's expectations of me. I feel inferior to the media's expectation of women. I feel as though I must be super educated, super ambitious, super sexual, and basically just "having it all". Trying to follow this line of thinking feels like a betrayal of myself. It's as if I'm a different species inhabiting an earth that was not designed for me.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

• I tend to base my opinions on what I believe will help individuals, and society as a whole. Most of my sessions are not based on my feelings, but on who I think a concept will benefit and help others. I rarely, if ever, think about myself and my personal desires when making a decision. I view it like this: I'm only one person in a completely massive world. Sometimes we need to give and take in order to make important decisions. Yes, we are all special and unique in our own way, but at the end of the day, we're all humans with similar struggles.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

•My emphasis is on the outcome of my work. I care more about the long term impact on a project than on the short term impact. I care about what I learn along the way, and I try to think of how this information could help me in the future. I could care less about how comfortable I feel during the process.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

•Um...I guess when I went to the Molly Brown house a few years ago, or any museum or "cultural event?" My memory of it is not that great, but I usually feel "at home" at these places/events? I really can't explain it though...

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?

•I have to rewrite and color-code every little thing I read, or else I won't remember it. I try to answer the questions at the end of each chapter, in order to understand the material on a deeper level. I also try to look for connections and patterns between different subjects in order to form my own personal theory on it, and to understand it. I'm not good at hands-on learning.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?

•I would say I'm pretty organized. Even though my work area often looks like a mess, I can usually find what I need on a regular basis. I always manage to meet deadlines, regardless if I start my work early or late. I have a good perception of how long a project will take. I also like to have a grammar deal of structure in my life.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

•I judge new ideas by trying to understand the principles behind it. I sometimes look for information to support it, but the information is usually only so that I can understand the principle clearer. I like to understand the "why" of something first, and then building up my opinion on the matter based off of new information, and looking at it from multiple points of view.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

•I find harmony by making sure everyone feels like they have their place and purpose in a group. I like to make people feel like they belong and are appreciated, since I often felt left out while growing up.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

•I think before I speak. I try to analyze everything from multiple perspectives, and I don't feel comfortable speaking until I've thought something through. I prefer one-on-one communication to group discussions.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

•I like to know where I am before jumping in. I judge people based off their actions.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

•I tell that I'm not really up for going out. If they get angry that's their problem, not mine.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

•I shut down and become fear-ridden when I'm stressed out. I also tend to worry a lot.
16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

•I dislike people who are judgmental and base everything off of materialistic values that society has imposed on us. I also dislike people who are closed minded and refuse to hear the opinions of others. I dislike people who get upset over every little thing. I dislike people who have a very narrow view on the world, i.e. "all models are bimbos", "if you like candidate x then you're an uneducated idiot", etc. I dislike people who think that their world view is 100% correct. I dislike people who have no introspective abilities.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

•I guess I feel most comfortable talking about theories and ideas. I also tend to like civil discussions on politics, especially political theories. I like talking to people who don't think exactly as I do, and I like to figure out where they're coming from. I also like to talk about art, history, music,
and science with people.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?

•I pay the least attention to things I view as "fluff". I don't pay attention to celebrity gossip. While I enjoy watching some sports, I don't view them as my life and I don't put emotional value into them. I watch them purely for entertainment.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

•I don't have any friends. I guess my former friends precieved me as quiet, shy, "ladylike", and hard to read. I would say they were right.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

•I would spend the day reading and writing down my thoughts. I may also sleep a little longer, and perhaps paint or draw a picture or two. I'd also like to just sit and be with my ideas and theories, and perhaps write them down.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
For the last three years I've been trying to figure out my MBTI type.

Since you've been trying real hard to find out your type and have not been able to settle on one, I assume that you are trying to confirm your type based on your understanding of the functions or dichotomies. Is it possible that your understanding of typology prevents you from typing yourself correctly? If that's the case then how will you know if you have been typed correctly by someone else?

Also what do you mean by:
when I lurk on the INFP sub I feel as though I'm walking on eggshells, eventhough I'm not commenting on the sub

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
Since you've been trying real hard to find out your type and have not been able to settle on one, I assume that you are trying to confirm your type based on your understanding of the functions or dichotomies. Is it possible that your understanding of typology prevents you from typing yourself correctly? If that's the case then how will you know if you have been typed correctly by someone else?

Also what do you mean by:

I've read about the cognitive functions several times. However, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the functions correctly. I think I may be an ISFJ, though.

I feel as though my opinions are not welcomed on the sub. Then again, I don't feel welcomed on most of reddit.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've read about the cognitive functions several times. However, I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the functions correctly. I think I may be an ISFJ, though.

This is probably what's making it difficult for you to be confident in your type, and it will also make it difficult for you to be confident if someone else types you. Have you tried reading past posts in the type subforums here, to see which one resonates with you?

My inner life, though, is extremely deep. I think, feel, and analyze thoughts and emotions on an intense level.
Could you say more about this.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
This is probably what's making it difficult for you to be confident in your type, and it will also make it difficult for you to be confident if someone else types you. Have you tried reading past posts in the type subforums here, to see which one resonates with you?

Could you say more about this.

I've read past post in the type subforums, and the one that I relate most to is the INFJ subforum. However, I don't think I'm intelligent enough or a good enough writer to be an INFJ.

I guess what I mean about that is I tend to overthink things, but I don't tell people about it.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've read past post in the type subforums, and the one that I relate most to is the INFJ subforum. However, I don't think I'm intelligent enough or a good enough writer to be an INFJ.

I guess what I mean about that is I tend to overthink things, but I don't tell people about it.

There's much more to it than overthinking things. Take some time to think about it and answer my question again, in detail. It may help you understand yourself better and decide on a personality type.

Purplemoon

MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
5w6
There's much more to it than overthinking things. Take some time to think about it and answer my question again, in detail. It may help you understand yourself better and decide on a personality type.

I guess what I mean by it is that I have a tendency to come off as a ditz or that I just don't give a s**t about a lot of topics, but internally I do. Only those close to me know my true thoughts. I'm constantly questioning why I think a certain way and why I feel and do certain things. I have a tendency to analyze my thoughts to the point that I get mentally stressed out and physically ill. Sometimes I think about these thoughts so much, and it becomes so intense that I emotionally "shut down" and I have to go into a quiet place so that I can think about things and find my bearings. Sometimes I wonder if something is wrong with me. For example, right now I'm wondering if I have a low IQ, since I got poor test results for an Asperger's syndrome syndrome (My psychologist said I don't have Autism or I'm extremely low on the scale). I'm also brushing up on my math skills, and it's taking me hours just to review basic pre-algebra topics.

I struggle with organizing my thoughts. It's almost as if things just float around in my head in an illogical fashion, and at times moments they connect to give me insight into something totally random. I've also observed that I think in images, not in words or concepts. I can remember things like holidays and birthdays, or topics that interest me, but I'm horrible at remembering math, science, computer skills, and technical topics. It's almost as if my brain does not have the capacity to remember so many details. I was decent at math and science in high school, but I struggled at remembering the little details. For example, during math class I would make mental leaps and make stupid mistakes on test, and in anatomy class I failed the "name the dead cat organs from our cat dissection" test. I also have a hard time remembering the details of events. I could tell you my overall impression of it, but I will fail if you ask for details of the events.

I worry about the future in a weird way. As I mentioned earlier, I'm struggling with reviewing basic math. I immediately thought, "If can't remember basic math, then what will I do in 10-20 years when I have a child who's struggling in math? How will I help them?" If I'm reading about corrupt politicians, I think "how will this politicians actions affect the future?"

I can "feel" the atmosphere in a room. If someone else is upset, then I become upset. If I feel that someone is lying to me about their feelings, I don't bother asking them "are you being honest?" because I already know they are being dishonest.

I keep a journal so that I can "air out" my emotions, feelings, thoughts, and write out my observations. I feel that by doing this, I am setting my thoughts "free". It also clears up my headspace for the next batch of information to analyze.

I guess what I'm constantly trying to figure out is what drives me. What drives my behavior? What drives my thoughts? What drives my feelings? What drives me to try to analyze these things?

I don't express myself out of fear of offending or hurting someone.