• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please help me type myself...

Ellyn

Hi, I have read mbti & Cognitive functions test, but I just can't decide which type I am. I'm mostly stuck between INXJ types & ISXP types.
In general I think I'm a bit of all types.

But what annoys me is that I think I sorta have multiple personalities. Each day I'm someone different ;

One day, I'm like a classic old fashioned (like 20s-70s) lady, & I enjoy old fashioned hobbies & style. I become serious, polite & lady-like.

One day I'm like a sensual, sensitive, creative & original artist.
I pay attention to my artistic hobbies like dancing, singing, painting, classical music, loving architecture, art, dancing, designing, fashion & being in a dramatic/sad mood. I sometimes become goth-like.

One day I'm like a serious hardworking/determined & ambitious business man who is very envious and competetive. & I just want to improve myself & my position & I make plans for that.

& some days (very rarely) I try to be happy, adventurous, carefree & friendly (rare). I watch funny videos, feel strong, do athletic activities alot, whatch happy things on TV, etc.

So, it's hard to define who I really am....but...

In general ;

I feel close to ISXP because...

I'm very sensual, & into variety. different things, tastes, colors, etc excite me. Old things & routines bore me.
I'm adventurous & love trying new things. This adrenaline rush really works for me.

Do you know "Dorian Gray" from Penny Deadful? I really get him.

Also, I'm a hand on learner. I learn best through "doing" than like studying or listening to lectures or records. I judt can't sit still or listen to lectures & I start daydreaming in most classes.

Also, I'm very imaginetive & sometimes spend my time in my head daydreaming about someone or something or future.
I plan alot, but I cannot really stick to schedules and plans.
& I'm a procrastinator in some areas of my life.

And INXJ (Ni) because....

I plan alot. It's creepy sometimes but I think about future alot.

I have goals & ambitions for my future, & feel guilty when I see some ppl are just too carefree & don't have them.

I'm competetive & envious. I wanna be better than others, & If I can't (for whatever reasons) I lose interest & feel anxious.

I make plans alot. I can not always be spontaneous & carefree or positive & comfy.

If I wanna go to a new situation/place, I have to ask or research & gain enough info about that place, the ppl, what I should do, what they expect me to do, What I should wear, how I should act, etc.

In one word, I have to be prepared or I'm going to feel anxious/self conscious.

I even make plans for what I'm going to say,...

& If I really take responsibility or promise something, I have to do it asap or I'm going to feel guilty. Like If I borrow something, I take good care of it & give it back asap & if others are not like that, I secretly get angry.

At places like work(summer job), I do work with others & help them. I like feeling neede and important, & don't like conflicts,

but my priority is to be creative & do things to stand out & be admired/appreciated by useful ppl & higher powers. That's why I'm a bit secretive & loner in these places.

& you know, I'm not a charity lover type of person when It comes to act of service ;

Most of the times, I help ppl I really care about (very few ppl) or useful ppl. & I find it hard to say "No" to them.

For example at work/uni, when I do something very well, or do something original & then bosses/higher powers thank me, admire me or that I look into their eyes & see that they're happy/pleased & they like me, it gives me an ecstatic feeling & motivation.

It makes me want to work harder & please them ever harder.

On the other hand, if they don't see things I do, or don't treat me well, or don't include me, I get depressed, self consious & lose interest/hope.

& yes, I kinda care about what ppl think/say about me. Especially the useful ones, or the ones I see everyday.

Maybe that's why I'm not witty. I watch my words alot & try not to even joke to offend/hurt ppl in order not to see a bad reaction or revenge that can hurt me. Misunderstandings can happen.

So specially at work (summer job) & uni, I'm quiet/shy, polite, reserved & business like. I hardly even open up or find friends.

& about being F or T,

Sometimes I overthink about some ppl/ situations & read between the lines, misinterpret, or get dramatic & depressed in my head. & I'm sensitive & hate conflict. I take lotsa things personally & I truly wish I could have thick skin.

But in some situations, I don't let emotions stop me from making a logical decision and it amazes me.
& sometimes I can come up with an original solution for a problem.

I might complain alot about situations & be a negative person, but my emotions are private & for myself.
I rarely open up unless I'm very anxious (& even then I open up ONLY a bit & regret it later).

& when usually when I have an emotional problem, I just get quiet & don't eat well. I get less active & don't enjoy fun activities.

I express my personal emotions through art, painting or music if I ever do it.

As for being indipendent or social...

I hate social media/chatting/texting/having on-line or long distance friends. I have very few friends & we rarely text. I prefer family to friends.
& I need a lot of me time. Being in public places like uni for long hours really makes me exhausted.

On the other hand, sometimes socializing with the right ppl, energizes me & gives me confident. I love sufing the net for myself, but I still hate texting ppl & social media.

****Sorry it's too long****

I tried to explain everything, but If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Plz help me type myself. I'm very confused.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
I have been an MBTI enthusiast for almost 30 years! I use the concepts in my every day life to help me get along with people and understand people (and myself).
It took me 3 MONTHS to figure out what my own type was!
Hopefully someone will come along in this thread who is really great at typing in this medium, but in the meantime, I can try to help.

I'm afraid I can't really tell what type you are by reading what you wrote. Some of the things you said are not necessarily influenced by the MBTI personality dimensions.

Do you own any books on MBTI? If so, what are they?
My favorite book for helping me learn about my type when I was brand new at it was, "Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron.
Don't be put off by the title; it's really excellent! I highly recommend it!
They have a website too, with a type "test". Maybe it would help you to see the comparison between the MBTI personality dimensions. You have to choose one or the other... the one that is most automatic... and if you're not sure, think about how you were when you were a teenager.
Welcome to Personality Type!

The thing about MBTI is that it uses words we're familiar with in our lives, but those words have a bit of a different definition than what we're used to.

Don't get caught trying to be a "some of everything" personality. If a person is truly 50% of each of the traits, that means their personality hasn't differentiated, and that's actually unhealthy.

My favorite personality test is here:
Personality test based on C. Jung and I. Briggs Myers type theory

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with in the two tests! :hi:

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm leaning closer to ISFP for you. You seem to have very strong Fi and lower Ni.

Ellyn

[MENTION=1125]INTJMom[/MENTION] , Idk if I answered "all" questions correctly or not, but Igot INTJ!!!

INTJ
Introvert(12%) iNtuitive(9%) Thinking(3%) Judging(6%)
You have slight preference of Introversion over Extraversion (12%)
You have slight preference of Intuition over Sensing (9%)
You have marginal or no preference of Thinking over Feeling (3%)
You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (6%)

Ellyn

The thing about most of the mbti/CF tests is that they ask lots of general questions (instead of real life questions). & some of them are kinda weird.

For example, it asks ; do you make decisions based on logic or emotion?

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Anyone else?!
Plz help!

Hang in there, mama! It sounds like you might be a somewhat impatient type. :alttongue:

It's been a while since I made a TC post with guidance on multiple type dimensions, and I have a couple recent ones from other forums that I could recycle here, but it may not be until tomorrow or Sunday.

In the meantime... the official MBTI is really the only MBTI test with a lot of psychometric support behind it, and here's a link to an online copy. I'd be interested in seeing your scores — but as I'll explain in my follow-up post, and in case you come out INT, I've found that it's pretty common for INFs to type as INTs on MBTI tests (including the official one), and your OP has me leaning INFJ for the moment.

And in case you're up for taking that test and are interested in some guidance with respect to the proper "frame of mind," here's what the MBTI Manual says:

MBTI Manual said:
Some people have trouble finding the correct frame of mind for answering the MBTI. When reporting the results to some people, they say they reported their "work self," "school self," "ideal self," or some other self they now consider atypical. The frame of reference desired in respondents is what has been termed the "shoes-off self." The "shoes-off self" fosters an attitude in which one functions naturally, smoothly, and effortlessly, and in which one is not going "against one's grain." The function of the MBTI is to provide the first step toward understanding one's natural preferences.

And it's maybe worth noting that it's a common mistake — but a mistake nonetheless — to think there's something wrong with a two-choice personality test item if either both answers appeal to you (so you want to say, "Both, please!") or both answers seem too extreme or otherwise don't fit you. In those cases, you're supposed to do your best to pick the option that seems like the best fit (in the first case) or the least poor fit (in the second). They don't call that kind of test "forced choice" for nothing.

The MBTI Manual expressly acknowledges that, in many cases, both sides of a particular item are likely to have some appeal to any particular test-taker, and also that, in many cases, the alternative choices don't exactly make sense in terms of a logical opposition. As the Manual explains:

MBTI Manual said:
In writing items, every effort was made to make the responses appeal to the appropriate types, for example, to make the perceptive response to a JP item as attractive to P people as the judging response is to J people. The result is that responses may be psychologically rather than logically opposed, a fact that annoys many thinking types. Item content is less important than that the words and form of the sentence should serve as a "stimulus to evoke a type response."

Ellyn

[MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]
Thanks for answering.

& as for my test result ;

Your personality type is: INTP

Preference Clarity Categories:
(Slight, Moderate, Clear, Very Clear)

Very Clear Introversion: 21/21
Slight Intuition: 14/26
Moderate Thinking: 16/24
Slight Perceiving: 11/22

But I kinda don't think I'm INTP.
I'm not sure though! Should I take the test again?

Do you think I seem INTP?

*btw, If you need to ask some questions to guess my type, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to answer!

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
*btw, If you need to ask some questions to guess my type, feel free to ask. I'd be happy to answer!

1. What kinds of careers have you considered?

2. In thinking about careers, would you say you're mostly focused on finding one that will compensate you reasonably well for doing work that you find satisfying in terms of being interesting, challenging, and calling on your knowledge/skills, etc., or would you say that, more important than that stuff (or maybe as a necessary supplement to that stuff), you have a core drive to have a job that's meaningful in terms of improving people's lives or otherwise making the world a better place?

3. When you think about having kids, which of these five statements best applies to you?

A. I feel like not having kids would mean missing out on an aspect of life nobody should miss.

B. I'm pretty sure I want to have kids.

C. I have mixed feelings on kids, and could see my life going either way.

D. I acknowledge I may feel differently in a few years, but at this point I'm somewhat leaning against ever having kids.

E. I feel sure, or pretty sure, I don't ever want to have kids.​

4. Imagine that a couple of your friends are trying to tell somebody who's never met you what kind of person you are. If there are particular things you can imagine them saying where they'd be rolling their eyes or chuckling (albeit maybe good-naturedly) as they described them — because they're aspects of your personality where you're eccentric or notably toward one end of the spectrum — what would they be?

5. Does religion or some other form of spirituality play a significant role in your life, and if so, does it involve a relatively conventional organized religion or a more amorphous/philosophical kind of spirituality?

Hopefully needless to say, don't feel the slightest pressure to answer any of these questions to the extent that (for any reason) you'd rather not publicly post the answers.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The thing about most of the mbti/CF tests is that they ask lots of general questions (instead of real life questions). & some of them are kinda weird.

For example, it asks ; do you make decisions based on logic or emotion?
You're right. That's a very general question.
What's funny is that some "Feeler" types insist they are being entirely "logical" when making decisions,
but a "Thinker" type doesn't consider it "logical" at all.

You didn't say if you have any of the books.
You can borrow "Do What You Are" from your local library.

Ellyn

1. What kinds of careers have you considered?

I'm currently a vet-med student, but to be honest, I'm not really passionate about it. I'm good in practical courses, but I'm so average in science-related/theoretical classes.

My favorite jobs are creativity-related. Like painting, fashion designing, interior designing, cooking, becoming an architect, & maybe a real estate agent. "However", most of these jobs are not realistic/reliable enough for real life.

(Though I'm kinda thinking about going back to college to become an architect after graduating from Vet school.)

2. In thinking about careers, would you say you're mostly focused on finding one that will compensate you reasonably well for doing work that you find satisfying in terms of being interesting, challenging, and calling on your knowledge/skills, etc., or would you say that, more important than that stuff (or maybe as a necessary supplement to that stuff), you have a core drive to have a job that's meaningful in terms of improving people's lives or otherwise making the world a better place?

Deffo the first one. Actually this is "one of the reasons" why I don't like Vet-related jobs.

Though when I was working at the clinic as my summer job , I worked very hard & loved being appreciated by the Dr (my boss) & ppl (clients).
When I saw that the clients counted on me, that I was learning/doing things well, it made me feel so good.

But to feel even better, I always tried to find creative ways to satisfy my boss & clients. & when I was appreciated, It would motivate me to work even harder.

But in general, I think I would love creativity-based jobs more. The types of jobs in which you can get promotion.

3. When you think about having kids, which of these five statements best applies to you?

A. I feel like not having kids would mean missing out on an aspect of life nobody should miss.

B. I'm pretty sure I want to have kids.

C. I have mixed feelings on kids, and could see my life going either way.

D. I acknowledge I may feel differently in a few years, but at this point I'm somewhat leaning against ever having kids.

E. I feel sure, or pretty sure, I don't ever want to have kids.​

Deffo (100%) "E"!!!

The thought of having kids some day really scares me!!! The thought of marriage scares me too, but having kids scares me alot more!

I'm 22! & I had this opinion from early ages & I still have it even though many ppl told me I'm going to change my mind when I grow up!

Many ppl say "aww cute" when they see kids/babies, but I actually hate babies.
It's not just that! I hate pregnancy, child birth, body changes, resposibility that comes with it, taking care of them, sacrifices, etc.

I think I'm going to end up being single forever, as I know "NO ONE" who thinks like me!

4. Imagine that a couple of your friends are trying to tell somebody who's never met you what kind of person you are. If there are particular things you can imagine them saying where they'd be rolling their eyes or chuckling (albeit maybe good-naturedly) as they described them — because they're aspects of your personality where you're eccentric or notably toward one end of the spectrum — what would they be?

My family/relatives know me alot more than friends.
But ppl a bit close to me, would probably say that I'm Imaginative/creative, impatient, artistic, adventurous & in love with trying new things, envious, competetive, someone who wants to be original, passive agressive, that I bottle up my feelings(when having problems) until they explode, etc.

But anyone other than my close family & friends would say that I'm quiet, abit shy, introverted, mysterious, loner & serious!!!

5. Does religion or some other form of spirituality play a significant role in your life, and if so, does it involve a relatively conventional organized religion or a more amorphous/philosophical kind of spirituality?

When I was a kid/teen, I loved being a christian (protestant) cuz I loved churches' architecture & atmosphere, & because I found jesus christ's personality peaceful.

Now, even though I sometimes love the thrill of reading/taking quizzes to find out what religion suits me better, but I have no religion & consider myself as "agnostic".

However, If I ever wanted to join a church, I would probably choose Episcopal/Anglican churches. They're beautiful & more open minded. But I wouldn't say I'm religious.

Hopefully needless to say, don't feel the slightest pressure to answer any of these questions to the extent that (for any reason) you'd rather not publicly post the answers.

Thanks!
Oh , & btw you you asked me somewhere if you can use my other quotes or not......
Sure!

Ellyn

You're right. That's a very general question.
What's funny is that some "Feeler" types insist they are being entirely "logical" when making decisions,
but a "Thinker" type doesn't consider it "logical" at all.

You didn't say if you have any of the books.
You can borrow "Do What You Are" from your local library.

No, I don't really have any access to mbti-related books.
All I read when I have mbti related questions is Websites & forums!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hey Ellyn --

1. Just moved your thread to the "What's My Type?" Subforum.

2. Welcome to TypeC!

3. I agree that few of the traits in your OP are directly linked to type. Have you checked out descriptions of your top choices to see if they resonate with you? Alternately, have you done any reading into Jungian Cognitive Functions (JCF) to see whether dominant Fi, dominant Ni, or dominant Ti resonate? (Per your current top choices, IxFP, INTP, INTJ.)

Ellyn

Hey Ellyn --

1. Just moved your thread to the "What's My Type?" Subforum.

2. Welcome to TypeC!

((((Thanks alot! ♡))))

3. I agree that few of the traits in your OP are directly linked to type. Have you checked out descriptions of your top choices to see if they resonate with you? Alternately, have you done any reading into Jungian Cognitive Functions (JCF) to see whether dominant Fi, dominant Ni, or dominant Ti resonate? (Per your current top choices, IxFP, INTP, INTJ.)

I have read things about CF, but only on the internet.
The thing is that when reading about CF, I understand it more with real life examples.

Cuz most of the times, when I read the descriptions of each function, I can relate to at least 20% of each function.
& sometimes the descriptions are so confusing that I can't really choose my top 4 functions at it's best.

Like, when I read about Fi, I can relate to it, then I go & read about Fe & I can relate to that to!!!

Or, for example, some sites mention that creativity is a result of active Ne.
Others say it's Se.
....& then I get confused even more!!!

Or Fi dom (like in ISFP) & Fe inf (ISTP) are so hard to distinguish!!!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have read things about CF, but only on the internet.
The thing is that when reading about CF, I understand it more with real life examples.

Cuz most of the times, when I read the descriptions of each function, I can relate to at least 20% of each function.
& sometimes the descriptions are so confusing that I can't really choose my top 4 functions at it's best.

Like, when I read about Fi, I can relate to it, then I go & read about Fe & I can relate to that to!!!

Or, for example, some sites mention that creativity is a result of active Ne.
Others say it's Se.
....& then I get confused even more!!!

Or Fi dom (like in ISFP) & Fe inf (ISTP) are so hard to distinguish!!!
What do you relate to about each type that you've considered? That is, things about how you think, and how you react to others. I've found that associating type with interests, hobbies, etc, isn't as reliable as getting to the core of WHY those interests and hobbies are appealing. The motivations behind why people do what they do.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, as a mod FYI, I just deleted a derail. Let's be a bit more welcoming in the future, shall we? In the spirit of the hospitality pineapple?

ef14d7197a7a99669ca82e539ae525ce.jpg

(for the uninitiated: The Hidden History of the Housewarming Pineapple | Atlas Obscura )

Ellyn

What do you relate to about each type that you've considered? That is, things about how you think, and how you react to others. I've found that associating type with interests, hobbies, etc, isn't as reliable as getting to the core of WHY those interests and hobbies are appealing. The motivations behind why people do what they do.

Besides ISFP ;

I relate to ISTP because of Ti-Fe.
Specially it's description in the website "personality junkie".
That explains how Fe works for ISTP.
(I'm going to explain it in my next post).

& also, both Fi-dom & Fe-inf seem uncomfortable & private about their emotions, but indirectly use it to improve in social situations.
& that both are seen by ppl as unimotional.

& also using Ti (example; when ppl tell me something, I don't believe it. I try to think about the underlying factors, possibilities, reasons, etc.-----to me it kind of sounds Ti.

Or that sometimes (kinda rarely) I might love to do/have something, but another option/choice sound more logical. So I choose it in order to be logical & not to regret my decision later!)

INXJ because of using Ni alot. (However, INTJs are more straightforward, thick skinned & sarcastic & I lack those charactristics.)
But as I use Ni alot (for planning =I really love planning & making lists, even if I can't keep up with it!) & as I'm serious & cynical , sometimes I think that I might be INTJ.
I think about future alot. & most of the times in a negative way!

Another difference I see between myself & INXJ types is that I use my Se (or what I "think of" as Se) way more that them.

I get excited about new things, colors, tastes, images, nature, senses, etc way more than like INTJ who cares more about Te issues rather than Sensory aesthetics.

I can't really distinguish between ISTP & ISFP when it comes to relating to them.

I know it's a wrong way & full of stereotypes, but as I can't find out if I'm truly ISFP or ISFP, when I'm sad, depressed & having dramas or problems & look devestated, I think of myself as an ISFP (kinda like a sad/troubled artist).
& when I'm in a good mood, doing good at job/uni, using opportunities & having a successful/ good day, I think of myself as ISTP.
& I relate functions to my situation.

Fo example, if I have a successful day at work or somewhere, I relate it to having Ti & dealing with situations in a good way!

But when I have a bad day & get sad/depressed for it, I relate it to Fi & the emotional aspects of it.

But at the end of the day, I can't really stick to one of them!!!

Ellyn

[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] ,

Why I relate to ISTP description of personality junkie
(These parts) :

"During grip, ISTPs may alienate themselves from others, insisting they need more and more time to themselves (this is why ISTPs often test as Enneagram Fives). They become trapped, functioning only in Judging mode (Ti-Fe)."

"the process of slipping into grip experiences is often subtle and insidious. For instance, ISTPs may have a goal in mind for what they want to accomplish that day, only to discover the task much larger than they originally imagined. But because a bigger task poses a greater challenge, they take the bait and see if they can still manage to get it done."

"Because of the inferior position of their Fe, ISTPs struggle to intentionally contact or understand their emotions. It’s not they never experience emotions, but only that their emotions seem to have a mind of their own, coming and going as they please. So even if ISTPs are aware of what emotions are appropriate for a given situation, they often do not “feel” them at the time, engendering a sense of awkwardness or discomfort in emotional situations. They may even experience the desired emotion a few hours later, but it’s almost as though their emotions get “stage fright” when “put on the spot.” To compensate, ISTPs may try to use their Fe to offer the socially-appropriate words. But without experiencing the emotions directly, they often sound clumsy or contrived in their expressions."

"Fe also contributes to ISTPs’ desire for public affirmation. While ISTPs may not always “feel” what others are feeling, their Fe still desires the sense of social affirmation and validation. Consequently, there are times when ISTPs are helpful or compliant largely for the sake of external approval or to maintain a certain public perception. ISTPs with a strong concern for their image can take social engagements quite seriously. They want others to see them as laudable employees, spouses, parents, or citizens. Their desire for public esteem can also be a motivating force in ISTPs’ desire for achievement."

"they view conflict as a potential threat to the relationship they depend on to meet their Fe needs, as well as a threat to the flawless image they seek to preserve. So rather than giving voice (Fe) to their concerns, ISTPs are more apt to analyze (Ti) or act on them (Se), often in passive-aggressive ways. They may, for instance, intentionally start spending more time at the office as a passive form of rebellion against their partner."

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No, I don't really have any access to mbti-related books.
All I read when I have mbti related questions is Websites & forums!
The reason I asked is because the websites are not anywhere near as thorough as the books.
MBTI is quite complex and it takes some study if you want to understand it.
Not only that, but it is extremely difficult to "type" a person over the internet.
Even in person, it's quite a challenge.
Once someone guesses what they think your type might be, you should carefully consider the accuracy over several months to determine if they are correct.