• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INFJ ?

nightlymajor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hi everyone,
For a long time, I was pretty sure I'm an INFP, as I always test evidently INFP on online MBTI tests that concentrate on determining whether you're J or P by asking about whether you're organized or more of a messy person who likes to keep options open. This is why it surprises me that when I do a cognitive functions test, I always test highest on Ni. I always test higher on Ti than Te, and I usually test really high on Fi. Most cognitive tests suggested that I'm an INFJ.
As far as my personality goes, I'm only 24, so I'm pretty sure I'm unaware of some of my tendencies. I have no idea about my Se/Si functions. When it comes to thinking, I always feel stifled by any kind of standardized manner of logic, I like to develop my thoughts independently, through an inner process. I'm sure most of my decisions are based on intuition and feeling, and I'm clearly an introvert. That is all I know for sure. Could you help me figure out my type?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi everyone,
For a long time, I was pretty sure I'm an INFP, as I always test evidently INFP on online MBTI tests that concentrate on determining whether you're J or P by asking about whether you're organized or more of a messy person who likes to keep options open. This is why it surprises me that when I do a cognitive functions test, I always test highest on Ni. I always test higher on Ti than Te, and I usually test really high on Fi. Most cognitive tests suggested that I'm an INFJ.
As far as my personality goes, I'm only 24, so I'm pretty sure I'm unaware of some of my tendencies. I have no idea about my Se/Si functions. When it comes to thinking, I always feel stifled by any kind of standardized manner of logic, I like to develop my thoughts independently, through an inner process. I'm sure most of my decisions are based on intuition and feeling, and I'm clearly an introvert. That is all I know for sure. Could you help me figure out my type?

For each of the following question, can you indicate which answer you:
1. Most strongly agree with (in bold)
2. Least strongly agree with (in italics)

Question 1: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I want to know if things are logical and make sense
B. I like to have clarity and precision. I ask whether or not the thinking is right
C. I lean towards objective and broadly accepted values
D. I am ruled by my own subjective and personal values

Question 2: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I express emotions I feel strongly about without as much intentionality and forethought about optimal effect
B. I focus on outcomes and objective reality - does something work or doesn't it?
C. I express emotion with intentionality and forethought for optimal effect
D. I'm more focused on the process than the outcome

Question 3: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I try to understand how the group works, gets along (or doesn’t) and all of their views
B. When I try and understand another person, I think how I would feel if I were them
C. I like to bring facts to a conversation in order to provide clarity
D. I want to understand the framework or set of principles being used to make a decision

Question 4: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. Consistency between the framework and decisions is important
B. When I ask a question, I want an answer. It annoys me when people don't answer questions.
C. I think about how decisions, actions, or expressed opinions are going to be reacted to or felt by others
D. I try to understand how behaviors and motivations of others are the same or different than my own

Question 5: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I decide what course of action is most amenable to the intended goal while accommodating the most people
B. I want to understand the princples that apply
C. I like to measure things using numbers and objective criteria
D. I decide what course of action is most amenable to the intended goal while maintaining my own sense of personal integrity

Question 6: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I notice patterns as they surface and trust they will go somewhere
B. I try to foresee the implications and likely effects
C. I trust what's familiar
D. I want to know what is happening right now

Question 7: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I have a good memory and I compare and contrast situations in the present with what happened in the past
B. I come up with new ways of seeing things
C. I usually do what do my gut instincts tell me
D. I hypothesize, make inferences and perceive what things mean

Question 8: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I try to understand the rules or laws that apply in a situation
B. I seek out people and situations that excite strong sensations
C. I pick up on meanings and interconnections
D. It's important for me to have a deep understanding of the big picture

Question 9: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I envison the future and forsee how things will unfold
B. I believe one should live life the fullest
C. I'm good at picking up at emerging patterns
D. I link past knowledge with current experiences

Question 10: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. It's important to be present in the moment
B. It's important to understand the details and what they mean
C. I grasp what is going on behind the scenes and under the surface
D. I'm oriented towards the future and have a feeling of certainty as to what it holds

nightlymajor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Question 1: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
B. I like to have clarity and precision. I ask whether or not the thinking is right

Question 2: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I express emotions I feel strongly about without as much intentionality and forethought about optimal effect
B. I focus on outcomes and objective reality - does something work or doesn't it?

Question 3: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I try to understand how the group works, gets along (or doesn’t) and all of their views
B. When I try and understand another person, I think how I would feel if I were them
D. I want to understand the framework or set of principles being used to make a decision

Question 4: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
B. When I ask a question, I want an answer. It annoys me when people don't answer questions.
C. I think about how decisions, actions, or expressed opinions are going to be reacted to or felt by others
D. I try to understand how behaviors and motivations of others are the same or different than my own

Question 5: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I decide what course of action is most amenable to the intended goal while accommodating the most people
D. I decide what course of action is most amenable to the intended goal while maintaining my own sense of personal integrity

Question 6: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with

Question 7: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
A. I have a good memory and I compare and contrast situations in the present with what happened in the past

Question 8: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with

Question 9: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with

Question 10: Select the statements that you most strongly and least strongly agree with
D. I'm oriented towards the future and have a feeling of certainty as to what it holds

TheWebIWeave

MBTI Type
INTJ
You sound like a dominantly Ni user with a well developed sense of Fi. Based on how you worded your sentences in this post I would say you have a more direct style of communication which is a judging qualifier. It is also apparent that your Ti is stronger than your Te based on he way you asserted your deductions. My conclusion is that you are an INFJ.

rainybisto

MBTI Type
FiNe
Enneagram
4w5
Hey, sorry if I'm disrupting your thread, [MENTION=28508]nightlymajor[/MENTION], but can I participate too? [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] your list of questions seem solid, I wonder if you'll measure my score too. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, sorry if I'm disrupting your thread, [MENTION=28508]nightlymajor[/MENTION], but can I participate too? [MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] your list of questions seem solid, I wonder if you'll measure my score too. Many thanks in advance.

It's not super conclusive Looks like Ne and Ti are tied with the highest scores with a preference not to use Se or Fe.

nightlymajor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You sound like a dominantly Ni user with a well developed sense of Fi. Based on how you worded your sentences in this post I would say you have a more direct style of communication which is a judging qualifier. It is also apparent that your Ti is stronger than your Te based on he way you asserted your deductions. My conclusion is that you are an INFJ.

Thank you for your answer. :) I'm still not convinced about my type, even though I browsed through a lot of different tests...Right now, I'm seriously considering INFJ because of Ni and Ti. The problem is with the cognitive functions, which don't seem to support INFP, but they don't match Fe either.
I'm also more direct than some of my friends who test INFP. I tend to subconsciously and recently consciously counsel everyone all the time. I want them to reach their highest potential. Instead of physically doing something for them, I always try and give my insights to everyone, and watch how they change afterwards.
I'm usually even "too honest" about what I think because I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, that seems to be more Fi. Sometimes they tell me I'm too critical, my standards are just too high. As far as I can tell, Fe is more about maintaining harmony, which is definitely important for me, but authenticity is what I can really value.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wanting people to reach their potential and counseling them is a standard INFJ trait. I think Fe can manifest very differently when subject to Ni. Some descriptions even say the INFJ is disappointed when people don't take their advice (that part I don't relate to myself as I'm more surprised if someone responds if I say something advice oriented since I don't really expect that process)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
In my opinion, the cognitive function model is flawed. In my opinion, an INFP would be both an introverted feeling and intuition type, but the descriptions of the cognitive functions are built around this not being the case - as such, they tend to incorporate the P and J aspect of type, but are in my view misguided when it comes to the introverted vs extroverted aspects of the functions.

So, I cannot say what your dominant cognitive function would be, but that in my opinion you should not be too concerned with it because it lacks validity as a model. From what I understand, there has not been a study done which does show that, say an FP (even ExFP) introverts their feeling and an FJ extroverts it. Rather, an FP would of course have P-like feeling (more freeform, reactive) and FJ would have J-like feeling (more goal-focused).