• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ISFP?

DigitalSoul

Hello everyone! First post here! :)

I've been trying for quite some time to figure out my type, and I've reached an impasse that will either be resolved with your help, or with my being locked up in the nearest asylum.

The question is "INFP or ISFP?".

Below you'll find my reasons for NOT believing I'm each type.

Why not INFP:

- I'm not creative; I don't create anything. I'm only creative with words, usually in the form of crafting beautiful phrases or creating novel composite words in order to express my thoughts. Oh, and I can use objects in very creative ways to solve practical problems.

- I'm not imaginative. I could have never written fiction, and I also don't read fiction at all (i.e., I exclusively read non-fiction). I use my imagination only for thinking about the Religious/Spiritual/Metaphysical/Paranormal, imagining myself flying/levitating and/or transforming when listening to Trance, and mentally rotating objects in IQ tests. In case that is in any way related to having an INFP-level imagination, I'm extremely good at reading between the lines, seeing the true but hidden motives, and generally, ALMOST psychically knowing what kind of person someone is, quite often from the very first time we meet.

- I don't brainstorm. When I need ideas, I just go inside my head, think mostly without words or images, and then come up with 1-2 ideas that I consequently examine. If these don't work, I think again. What I'm trying to say here is that I don't identify with the portrayal of INFPs as people who bleed ideas.

- I'm realistic, in the sense that I have a very realistic/accurate perception of both the world and humans, and I don't expect either of them to improve any time soon. That realization pains me greatly, as the suffering of world pains me greatly, and I do wholeheartedly wish for a better world. I don't see the good in everyone, as an ENFP I know does. I usually see only selfishness, indifference, and inhumaneness. For that reason, humanity is lucky I don't have access to the "red button".

- I don't have the urge to write. Writing is by far my preferred means of communication, but I don't engage in any kind of writing that resembles that of a writer (professional or not). If quality of output is the criterion, I should add that people, including people with relevant studies, have always told me that I write exceptionally well. I also scored at the top 5% in a national essay contest, and am definitely a logophile. The problem is that you won't get to see that, because English isn't my native language, and I'm trying to keep this short. The few times I felt seriously tempted to write, it was non-fiction.

- I'm socially conservative.

- People have always told me that I have a very good sense of aesthetics.

Why not ISFP:

- I'm neither artsy, nor craftsy. I don't create any kind of art, and I almost hate working with my hands (or with the rest of my body for that matter; I have far more mental energy than physical). Having said that, I do feel almost impaired for having discovered my love for the violin late enough to be able to learn it at a serious level (yes, I'm a perfectionist). "Music is the shorthand of emotion" (Leo Tolstoy), and I feel that I'd be able to release a lot of pent-up emotions by playing any of my favorite classical music pieces.

- As I previously wrote, the consensus is that I have an eye for beauty. The "problem" with that is that I just don't care at all about that talent. Beauty does not lure/energize me enough so as to actively seek it. In fact, sometimes I might get overstimulated by too much beauty in an environment. I will chose, like any other normal person, something beautiful over something ugly, but that is as far as I'll go. For example, I will buy an Apple product (assuming I can afford it), over a product that performs the same but has worse design, but I won't buy an Apple product just because it is beautiful.

- I have absolutely no interest in fashion (clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.), cooking (with the exception of basic cooking, of course), cars, sports, and other typical Se activities. The exceptions in the "sports" category are walking (on an almost daily basis), cycling, playing basketball (less often), and weight training (used to).

- I love Theory. I just love ideas (TED fan here) and concepts. I mainly read books/articles/posts about Religion, Philosophy, Psychology, and Popularized Science (mostly Cosmology, Astrophysics, and Evolutionary Biology). I particularly enjoy that moment when I realize -it happens automatically- that an idea has a historical precedent, or at least something that partially resembles it, in another domain of human thought. I really enjoy that type of cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural thinking.

- I come out INFP in 95% of online MBTI-type tests -the score for N is usually 65%-, and I've taken them several times over long periods of time. Most importantly, I've never come anything but INFP on the keys2cognition test. Fi always comes first, and then usually comes Si. Se always comes dead last. Speaking of which, I identify a lot with the inferior Se description in Naomi Quenck's book "Was That Really Me?", especially the "Overindulging in Sensual Pleasures" part.

- I make frequent use of metaphors, similes, and analogies.

- I'm different from the many ISFPs I've had in my life in all the above, especially the part about loving Theory.

Thank you for reading this. Please help!

Last edited:

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Thanks for the info! I'd like to ask a few more questions before trying to advise you on your probable type.

How do you feel about travel? Is it exciting? Is it something that's important to you? If you're going on vacation, would you rather go somewhere exotic (like another country) or go to the beach and stay in a nice hotel?

Do you get bored easily? Are you more likely to get bored when you're not trying new things or when you're not learning new things?

What do you do for fun? Do you prefer external stimulation (watching a movie, playing video games, going out for a nice dinner, playing sports) or internal stimulation (reading a book, having a long conversation with a friend)?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello everyone! First post here! :)

I've been trying for quite some time to figure out my type, and I've reached an impasse that will either be resolved with your help, or with my being locked up in the nearest asylum.

The question is "INFP or ISFP?".

Below you'll find my reasons for NOT believing I'm each type.

Why not INFP:

- I'm not creative; I don't create anything. I'm only creative with words, usually in the form of crafting beautiful phrases or creating novel composite words in order to express my thoughts. Oh, and I can use objects in very creative ways to solve practical problems.

- I'm not imaginative. I could have never written fiction, and I also don't read fiction at all (i.e., I exclusively read non-fiction). I use my imagination only for thinking about the Religious/Spiritual/Metaphysical/Paranormal, imagining myself flying/levitating and/or transforming when listening to Trance, and mentally rotating objects in IQ tests. In case that is in any way related to having an INFP-level imagination, I'm extremely good at reading between the lines, seeing the true but hidden motives, and generally, ALMOST psychically knowing what kind of person someone is, quite often from the very first time we meet.

- I don't brainstorm. When I need ideas, I just go inside my head, think mostly without words or images, and then come up with 1-2 ideas that I consequently examine. If these don't work, I think again. What I'm trying to say here is that I don't identify with the portrayal of INFPs as people who bleed ideas.

- I'm realistic, in the sense that I have a very realistic/accurate perception of both the world and humans, and I don't expect either of them to improve any time soon. That realization pains me greatly, as the suffering of world pains me greatly, and I do wholeheartedly wish for a better world. I don't see the good in everyone, as an ENFP I know does. I usually see only selfishness, indifference, and inhumaneness. For that reason, humanity is lucky I don't have access to the "red button".

- I don't have the urge to write. Writing is by far my preferred means of communication, but I don't engage in any kind of writing that resembles that of a writer (professional or not). If quality of output is the criterion, I should add that people, including people with relevant studies, have always told me that I write exceptionally well. I also scored at the top 5% in a national essay contest, and am definitely a logophile. The problem is that you won't get to see that, because English isn't my native language, and I'm trying to keep this short. The few times I felt seriously tempted to write, it was non-fiction.

- I'm socially conservative.

- People have always told me that I have a very good sense of aesthetics.

Why not ISFP:

- I'm neither artsy, nor craftsy. I don't create any kind of art, and I almost hate working with my hands (or with the rest of my body for that matter; I have far more mental energy than physical). Having said that, I do feel almost impaired for having discovered my love for the violin late enough to be able to learn it at a serious level (yes, I'm a perfectionist). "Music is the shorthand of emotion" (Leo Tolstoy), and I feel that I'd be able to release a lot of pent-up emotions by playing any of my favorite classical music pieces.

- As I previously wrote, the consensus is that I have an eye for beauty. The "problem" with that is that I just don't care at all about that talent. Beauty does not lure/energize me enough so as to actively seek it. In fact, sometimes I might get overstimulated by too much beauty in an environment. I will chose, like any other normal person, something beautiful over something ugly, but that is as far as I'll go. For example, I will buy an Apple product (assuming I can afford it), over a product that performs the same but has worse design, but I won't buy an Apple product just because it is beautiful.

- I have absolutely no interest in fashion (clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.), cooking (with the exception of basic cooking, of course), cars, sports, and other typical Se activities. The exceptions in the "sports" category are walking (on an almost daily basis), cycling, playing basketball (less often), and weight training (used to).

- I love Theory. I just love ideas (TED fan here) and concepts. I mainly read books/articles/posts about Religion, Philosophy, Psychology, and Popularized Science (mostly Cosmology, Astrophysics, and Evolutionary Biology). I particularly enjoy that moment when I realize -it happens automatically- that an idea has a historical precedent, or at least something that partially resembles it, in another domain of human thought. I really enjoy that type of cross-disciplinary and cross-cultural thinking.

- I come out INFP in 95% of online MBTI-type tests -the score for N is usually 65%-, and I've taken them several times over long periods of time. Most importantly, I've never come anything but INFP on the keys2cognition test. Fi always comes first, and then usually comes Si. Se always comes dead last. Speaking of which, I identify a lot with the inferior Se description in Naomi Quenck's book "Was That Really Me?", especially the "Overindulging in Sensual Pleasures" part.

- I make frequent use of metaphors, similes, and analogies.

- I'm different from the many ISFPs I've had in my life in all the above, especially the part about loving Theory.

Thank you for reading this. Please help!

If you can answer these questions, I think it will lead to a conclusion.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru.../84961-temperament-test-answer-questions.html

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why do you think you're an Fi type? Nothing in your writing really strikes me as Fi. Fi is by far one of the most idealistic functions, I don't really see that sense of high deep rooted idealism in your writing.
I don't really want to make a hasty judgement, but have you thought of being a Ti type? Maybe ISTP?

DigitalSoul

If you can answer these questions, I think it will lead to a conclusion.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru.../84961-temperament-test-answer-questions.html

Thank you very much for your reply and for your suggestion, highlander! Here are my answers to your temperament test:

*What characteristic best describes you?
a. I am adaptable
b. I am consistent
c. I am humane
d. I am analytical

*Which statement best describes you?
a. I’m tolerant and on the lookout for useful compromises
b. I am hard working and dependable
c. I am enthusiastic and creative
d. I am competent and inventive

*It is most important for me to be:
a. Adaptable
b. Respectable
c. Authentic
d. Resolute

*It is most important for me to
a. Be lively and unrestrained
b. Do things that will produce good
c. Help others and be charitable
d. Be autonomous

*I yearn for
a. Impact
b. Belonging
c. Romance
d. Achievement

*I most value being
a. Excited
b. Concerned
c. Enthusiastic
d. Calm

The best word to describe me would be that I am:
a. Practical
b. Dutiful
c. Altruistic
d. Pragmatic

DigitalSoul

Why do you think you're an Fi type? Nothing in your writing really strikes me as Fi. Fi is by far one of the most idealistic functions, I don't really see that sense of high deep rooted idealism in your writing.
I don't really want to make a hasty judgement, but have you thought of being a Ti type? Maybe ISTP?

Dear Inis Mona, thank you very much for your reply. That's a reasonable question. Here's my reply:

- I'm a 30+ male. During my time in university and after that, in the real world, I've learned that good writing is concise. Most importantly, I did it out of "compassion" for my fellow members here. No one can stand to read really long posts, so I started with the absolute basics, and then I thought I'd write more, as good questions like yours would be posted.

- My post was very specifically about my inabillity to distinguish whether I use Ne or Se, and not about who I am in general, my worldview, my dreams etc. As for my idealism, it got crushed during my 20s when I realized how merciless/heartless and brutal this world is, when days came when I didn't have anything to eat, when I realized how selfish and stupid the average person is. The world isn't going to drastically change for the better any time soon; I can only make myself a cell of my utopia. I'm now a VERY pessimistic person with a VERY bleak view of humanity and the future.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=28496]DigitalSoul[/MENTION] you are an NF

DigitalSoul

Thanks for the info! I'd like to ask a few more questions before trying to advise you on your probable type.

How do you feel about travel? Is it exciting? Is it something that's important to you? If you're going on vacation, would you rather go somewhere exotic (like another country) or go to the beach and stay in a nice hotel?

Do you get bored easily? Are you more likely to get bored when you're not trying new things or when you're not learning new things?

What do you do for fun? Do you prefer external stimulation (watching a movie, playing video games, going out for a nice dinner, playing sports) or internal stimulation (reading a book, having a long conversation with a friend)?

Hi, burymecloser, and thank you very much for your reply!

Before I reply to your questions, let me tell you one thing that is the psychological background of all my replies: I'm seriously introverted. I mean, online human interaction aside, I could be considered a hermit Also, everything interesting is online and rarely in the outside world. I watch people mindlessly socializing and going from bar to bar (club, etc), and I feel deeply sad for these people who are wasting their lives. I'm not saying my view is right; I'm only describing who I am.

Since the WWW came, I've yet to feel bored. HOW can anyone feel bored, when there's the internet? Without the internet, "Houston, we have a problem". I'm definitely more likely to get bored when I'm not learning new things. I don't like trying things, because I've always had this weird delusion that I somewhat "know" how the experience will be like and whether I will like it or not. In any case, I'm scratching my head about people who are looking for experiences and trying things out. Experiences are useful only because they help you really/better understand what you thought you understood perfectly just by thinking about it.

"Fun" is an issue for me. I don't think I'm having "fun", at least in my understanding of the word (may I remind you that I'm not a native speaker of English). "Fun" for me means doing things that are nourishing your soul and feeding your brain. I'm highly critical, even on a moral level, of the type of "fun" that the ESPs are stereotypically associated with. Not helping much, huh? :) I'll try harder: on an average day, "fun" for me is using "StumbleUpon", reading serious things online, watching movies with some depth (e.g., The first Matrix; ok, I know it's Hollywood, but it's a movie we all know), reading books and magazines. I don't go out, but if I do, it would be with someone with whom we could have meaningful and deep conversations. I also like occasionally walking alone, listening to music, by the seaside, where I've always lived. Nah, still not helping. I'm sorry. :(

I like travelling -who doesn't? It's not important to me, give that I'd use that adjective for things like God/Spirituality, Knowledge and Wisdom, and my loves ones. These are also the things that can excite me. I wouldn't like to travel the world; just to a few countries that I respect their civilization and would like to see how it's really like. If I'm going on vacation, then I'm going to the beach and staying in a nice hotel. But then again, I come from a Mediterranean country and here vacation=beach, so my preference might be a cultural thing. I suspect, though, that I'd choose the sea/beach, as I love the sea, because of the almost transcedental tranquility and otherwordliness of the underwater world. Not sure I helped, again. :(

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hi, burymecloser, and thank you very much for your reply!

Before I reply to your questions, let me tell you one thing that is the psychological background of all my replies: I'm seriously introverted. I mean, online human interaction aside, I could be considered a hermit Also, everything interesting is online and rarely in the outside world. I watch people mindlessly socializing and going from bar to bar (club, etc), and I feel deeply sad for these people who are wasting their lives. I'm not saying my view is right; I'm only describing who I am.

Since the WWW came, I've yet to feel bored. HOW can anyone feel bored, when there's the internet? Without the internet, "Houston, we have problem". I'm definitely more likely to get bored when I'm not learning new things. I don't like trying things, because I've always had this weird delusion that I somewhat "know" how the experience will be like and whether I will like it or not. In any case, I'm scratching my head about people who are looking for experiences and trying things out. Experiences are useful only because they help you really/better understand what you thought you understood perfectly just by thinking about it.

"Fun" is an issue for me. I don't think I'm having "fun", at least in my understanding of the word (may I remind you that I'm not a native speaker of English). "Fun" for me means doing things that are nourishing your soul and feeding your brain. I'm highly critical, even on a moral level, of the type of "fun" that the ESPs are stereotypically associated with. Not helping much, huh? :) I'll try harder: on an average day, fun for me is using "StumbleUpon", reading serious things online, watching movies with some depth (e.g., The first Matrix; ok, I know it's Hollywood, but it's a movie we all know), reading books and magazines. I don't go out, but if I do, it would be with someone with whom we could have meaningful and deep conversations. I also like walking alone, listening to music, by the seaside, where I've always lived. Nah, still not helping. I'm sorry. :(

I like travelling -who doesn't? It's not important to me, give that I'd use that adjective for things like God/Spirituality, Knowledge and Wisdom, and my loves ones. These are also the things that can excite me. I wouldn't like to travel the world; just a few countries that I respect their civilization and would like to see how it's really like. If I'm going on vacation, then I'm going to the beach and stay in a nice hotel. But then again, I come from a Mediterranean country and here vacation=beach, so my preference might be a cultural thing. I suspect, though, that I'd choose the sea/beach, as I love the sea, because of the almost transcedental tranquility and otherwordliness of the underwater world. Not sure I helped, again. :(

Thanks for answering my questions! I would suggest, first of all, that you're an N. More specifically, I would suggest that your answers above indicate a preference for Ne > Se. You like reading and learning and making mental connections more than you like experiencing new things and stimulating your physical senses. So I don't think ISFP fits.

Have you read type descriptions for INFP? Do those resonate with you?

DigitalSoul

Thanks for answering my questions! I would suggest, first of all, that you're an N. More specifically, I would suggest that your answers above suggest a preference for Ne > Se. You like reading and learning and making mental connections more than you like experiencing new things and stimulating your physical senses. So I don't think ISFP fits.

Have you read type descriptions for INFP? Do those resonate with you?
[MENTION=9256]burymecloser[/MENTION], I'm surprised you managed to come to a conclusion based on the conflicting information I gave you! Wow! Thanks a lot!

Yes, I've read many type descriptions, and, in fact, it was these descriptions that made me write in my first post the ways in which I deviate from the common stereotypes about these two types, i.e., the ones found in these descriptions.

I identify with 95% (disagree with the part about logic) of this description, and I've also taken this guy's test, when he gave a free code for Christmas, and came out INFP (92% I, 67% N, 100% F, 64% P).

Again, thank you very much! :)

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=9256]burymecloser[/MENTION], I'm surprised you managed to come to a conclusion based on the conflicting information I gave you! Wow! Thanks a lot!

Yes, I've read many type descriptions, and, in fact, it was these descriptions that made me write in my first post the ways in which I deviate from the common stereotypes about these two types, i.e., the ones found in these descriptions.

I identify with 95% (disagree with the part about logic) of this description, and I've also taken this guy's test, when he gave a free code for Christmas, and came out INFP (92% I, 67% N, 100% F, 64% P).

Again, thank you very much! :)
You're welcome! I'm glad you found my input helpful. :)

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm getting a strong Si vibe from your descriptions of your habits and interests. You strike me as a mature INFP.

DigitalSoul

I'm getting a strong Si vibe from your descriptions of your habits and interests. You strike me as a mature INFP.

Thank you very much for your input, [MENTION=27735]Zeego[/MENTION]!

I don't know how much you trust the keys2cognition.com JCFs test, but if you do, you won't be surprised to learn that Si shows up as my 2nd or 3rd function, after Fi that always comes first by a wide margin.

As a 30+ male who has had a rough ride during a significant portion of his 20s, I was forced to develop my inferior functions, ESPECIALLY Te. But what about the tertiary? Did I develop Si or Ni? I really can't tell, much as I can't tell whether I use Ne or Se, simplistic descriptions of these functions aside. I imagine that an ISFP with a developed Ni and a INFP with a developed Si would be hard to distinguish, because the first is more NF-like, and the other is more grounded and SF-like (may I remind you that Myers-Briggs had proposed different mapping of the four temperaments than Keirsey).

DigitalSoul

Does anyone think that answering a questionnaire would help more? If yes, which one? I'm really grateful for the replies so far, but I'd really appreciate more opinions. Thanks.

DigitalSoul

[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION],

I took this Interact Quiz test you suggested in another thread, and the result is "Chart the Course", which is a surprising for me, but not for the 2-3 people who have typed as INFJ in the past.

My question is: Would I be breaking any rules, written or unwritten, if I made another thread, not necessarily now, with a questionnaire?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You seem like a pretty balanced INFP.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION],

I took this Interact Quiz test you suggested in another thread, and the result is "Chart the Course", which is a surprising for me, but not for the 2-3 people who have typed as INFJ in the past.

My question is: Would I be breaking any rules, written or unwritten, if I made another thread, not necessarily now, with a questionnaire?

No, go ahead.

DigitalSoul

You seem like a pretty balanced INFP.

I really appreciate your input, [MENTION=27495]Punderstorm[/MENTION]! Thanks!

YES, this is EXACTLY how I would describe myself, if I'm an INFP. I'm really glad you wrote that!

On the other hand, I'm wondering how a pretty balanced ISFP looks like. I mean, wouldn't a well-developed tertiary Ni make one PRACTICALLY indistinguishable from an INFP? After all, many agree that ISFPs are the most NF-like of all types.

If I go by the stereotypical descriptions (even in the more reputable websites) about Sensors and my experience with ISFPs, which includes my father, a first cousin and a girlfriend, then I'm definitely INFP, the most striking and common difference between them and myself being our attitude towards Theory. But we're not supposed to take these stereotypes seriously, that's why I'm here.