• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me settle(ish) on a type? any tips or tricks??

Meowbot

MBTI Type
??FP
Hey friends!

Hope you can help. I’ve been trying to type myself for years, lol, so more research past this post is probably not going to help. Although I like hearing opinions because I hope I'll find new information that'll help me out (ha think that makes me a P for sure).

First thing you need to know that may affect my typing - I have diagnosed anxiety and some OCD.

I know MBTI isn't perfect (*hides*) but I just feel like I don't know how to live like my true self. I think I've learned to use a lot of the functions in order to "survive" in different situations due to my anxiety disorder. I need "tricks" to figure out what my type may be. I've taken a poop ton of tests so I know what all the questions are trying to figure out. I need provoking questions such as "how did you act at this age level? That's how you are naturally" or “who do you get along best with” or something that reveals that without too much analysis. If that exists, lol. I know about all the cognitive functions but that hasn’t helped much either.

Mostly confused if I’m an extrovert/introvert and sensor/intuitive.

I tell people I’m an ambivert - though most acquaintances tell me I’m a quiet introvert, I disagree.
I do definitely need alone time but not necessarily a lot. If I've been spending a weekend with a group of people I need maybe 20 mins to an hour or so per day to recharge.

But I definitely am energized by social interaction - if I don't get a chance to be alone for about an hour I'll have a hard time sleeping as I process the whole day. And if I'm alone all day with nothing to do I default to going window shopping - just to be out and doing something.

I also definitely get drained by *certain* people. But since I'm anxious I tend to come across as quiet at first or if I am uncomfortable or worried about being judged. So that throws me all off.

I really believe I am an extrovert with social anxiety, but that's not necessarily true, I guess. Especially because I don’t come off that way and wouldn’t people be able to see my extroverted function?

—

As far as sensing vs intuition. I'm pretty good at making connections but I also pick up skills by watching/doing pretty easily. You might see in this post that I use a lot of Ne. But I use a good amount of Ni too, especially for life decisions. And I don't know if those are learned or natural.

I'm horrible at math, physics, chemistry, but have always been good at English and reading comprehension and grammar/spelling - I can tell if a word is spelled wrong visually, if that makes any sense... Like each word is a picture to me. If I've seen it a few times, I know how it's spelled. But anyway, school was always super boring to me so I got by pretty well with cramming and natural abilities.

I like learning about some abstract things, like MBTI, but I'd rather learn a crap ton of skills. I taught myself how to knit by watching online videos, just finished a year of guitar lessons, and I'm teaching myself calligraphy at the moment. I have so many other things I want to learn like sewing, violin, surfing, skiing, omg everything. But there's just not enough time or money lol. Oh and I love working out but am sometimes to lazy to do it ha. Story of everyone's lives.

I'm a visual designer, and I'm confident with technical skills, and can figure most other things out easily or with Google. But while I love being creative, it gives me anxiety to feel like I have to come up with a creative solution on the spot and then I panic that I can't do it. So that makes me think I’m more of a sensor, but with everything else considered, I have no flipping clue.

—

Other random little tidbits that may be helpful OR they may confuse you like they did me! -

I am naturally disorganized both internally and externally and I'm lazy so it's hard for me to care or put in effort a lot of times until I'm overwhelmed with the internal or external chaos I’ve been ignoring. I have recently been learning to organize and value planning and organization but I’ve always been afraid it'll make me boring or un-fun like my dad lol (������) who according to tests is an ISFJ or ISTJ. But I do see the value of keeping a neat room and planning out projects before I do them.

Speaking of my dad, he was so confused when I told him it took me a lot of effort to budget because it’s always so easy and natural for him.

Writing out or speaking my feelings/thoughts helps me process them.

I have pretty traditional morals but kind of see them as untraditional these days - like people think I'm crazy for waiting till marriage - and I don't do it because it's tradition but because I believe in its validity fiercely even though it's insanely difficult lol. LIKE REALLY RIDICULOUSLY HARD (but I digress……)

Incredibly indecisive - I’m not like a J who feels better after a decision or a P who feels better before. lol I am always anxious when it comes to decisions unless I have a clear choice or feeling or intuition about something.

Pet peeves -
* Comments on how I'm living or making decisions… ie., "wow your salad is way smaller than I would have made for myself” makes me feel judged..like dang just let me live my life! Geesh! Or "wow you are throwing away a lot of clothes" Basically feeling like I'm being observed or criticized while living my daily routine for whatever reason bothers me. (I understand this may just be a separate issue and not personality related hahaha).
* Being angry in general, I hate the feeling of being angry.
* when people are mean or put others down just so they can feel better about themselves -_-
* Coffee grinds that fall everywhere and need to be cleaned up. Ugh, the worst texture.
* Ugh, I have more pet peeves but this is a long enough post.

As seen above, criticism is especially painful for me, especially of something I’ve made, or about my personality or looks.

I’ve considered ESFJ but I think I’m a little too “weird” to be an ESFJ haha. I don’t follow social rules just because they’re social rules. And when people do that it usually annoys me. I do try to take care of everyone around me but I don’t like to force my opinions on others. Ill just silently judge ;) and let them do what they want (unless its like, something dangerous, then I try to talk to them about it and figure out where they’re at and pray and do my best guide them to a healthier point of view)

Someone recently said I wouldn’t believe a rumor about another coworker because I "always see the best in people” which I took as a great compliment.

I can be really naive and my coping mechanism is to overthink everything to "protect myself” but it actually makes me crazy anxious.

I care a lot about people.

My INTP friend is the only one who will indulge me in this MBTI talk for more than a few minutes, and the only one I know in real life that knows a lot about the theory. He thinks I'm border E and I, and border S and N.. But he also is a typical INTP and changes his theories and creates new ones every day, haha. Of which I care about 1% ;) But I love and value having friends and being on good terms/at peace with people so I try to find something to relate to everyone I know. Therefore MBTI and anxiety make up me and this INTP's mutual understanding.

I had to write a second draft of this because my first thoughts were all over the place (lol Ne..Te?)

I have an addictive personality :( But usually tend towards stuff like chocolate or shopping or a tv show rather than, say, hard drugs.

If I feel like I’m being treated like crap, especially if I did nothing but try to help, it’s really hard for me, and I can get verbal about it though I generally keep my mouth shut because I know I’ll say some harsh things. But sometimes the venom spews out ������ If I’ve done something stupid or rude it’s easier for me to take being treated like crap, haha. And then I usually apologize profusely.

I love making people laugh and I'll do anything from picking up their sense of humor (to a certain extent, as long as I think it's funny or acceptable, though sometimes I push my own boundaries) to self deprecation to make someone laugh especially if they're upset. People who understand my sense of humor "get" me and vice versa. If you don't get my jokes or at least learn to get them over time we probably will never connect.

I'm probably older than you think I am. In both appearance and nature I am somewhat childlike. And maybe anxiety stunted me a bit so don't judge too hard ;)

I love memes, puns, animal videos, and ridiculous humor. But I also love delivering a joke so dryly that people sometimes can't tell if I'm joking ;) except when they get offended and then I have to explain and it's awkward. Which definitely happens….

I’ve noticed a lot of my closest friends tend to be INFJs or at least test as such. I also have two close friends who are ISTJ and ENFP.

I *think* I'm happiest when I'm doing something physically and not thinking/analyzing.. such as going on a run (though I usually think during those) or making some art, pretty much any time I'm outside in nature, or just conversing with people. But I also get excited about ideas. Most of my stress comes from overanalysis but it's super easy for me to overanalyze. I'm least happy when I'm over analyzing/paranoid (obv).

My username is one of the first things that came to my brain because it's hard coming up with clever usernames and I didn't feel like thinking too hard. It’s actually related to two inside jokes. But despite the “meow,” I am actually a dog person.

My non-mbti-intuition about people and sometimes situations is nearly always right even if I can't pinpoint specifics

I’m moody though, this is mostly anxiety related

Umm? Am I missing anything that might allow someone to help type me lol. Please ask me questions?!

- - - Updated - - -

Ew this is so long. Lol thank you to anyone who reads this whole thing :wubbie:

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sounds like you're an 749 sx/so ENFP.

You shouldn't base things off of stereotypes. The words used in MBTI don't have the same meaning as they do in casual conversation. You mentioned how you tell people that you are an ambivert, but everyone is! We all use both all eight Introverted and Extroverted functions. What determines your type is your preference for those functions.

A good way to figure that out is not focusing on your behaviors, but your thought process and opinions. What's your biggest strengths and weaknesses? Biggest fear? Goal in life? Best memory? What's your role in life?

Meowbot

MBTI Type
??FP
Sounds like you're an 749 sx/so ENFP.

You shouldn't base things off of stereotypes. The words used in MBTI don't have the same meaning as they do in casual conversation. You mentioned how you tell people that you are an ambivert, but everyone is! We all use both all eight Introverted and Extroverted functions. What determines your type is your preference for those functions.

A good way to figure that out is not focusing on your behaviors, but your thought process and opinions. What's your biggest strengths and weaknesses? Biggest fear? Goal in life? Best memory? What's your role in life?

Thanks for your response, sarcasmsunshine! :wubbie:

I'll answer those questions here and see what comes out:

biggest strengths - love people, fun/funny, creative/artistic, adaptable, strong convictions, accepting of others

biggest weaknesses - care way too much about other's judgments/criticisms, self-absorbed, overreact easily, lazy, overly fearful, stubborn as crap ;)

biggest fear - honestly, going insane - this would mean loss of self, loss of relationships, loss of really everything IMO

goal in life - live by my faith and hopefully inspire others through it.. really just want to be happily married, raise a family if that works out, make cool stuff, travel as much as possible

best memory - my entire semester abroad.. still feel physical heartbreak if I think too much about missing it - best memory there was probably any time I explored cities with friends or snorkeled a coral reef :wubbie: ;)
or actually it could be my first kiss if I hadn't blocked it out to that relationship ending badly hah

role in life - not to sound preachy but this is true: live my life for Jesus, so I might know him more; otherwise this quote by Kurt Vonnegut really resonates with me: "The function of the artist is to make people like life better than they have before" - basically I want to be a "safe place" for people as we go through life and to make my corner of it as beautiful as I can, physically, spiritually, comically, etc.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for your response, sarcasmsunshine! :wubbie:

I'll answer those questions here and see what comes out:

biggest strengths - love people, fun/funny, creative/artistic, adaptable, strong convictions, accepting of others

biggest weaknesses - care way too much about other's judgments/criticisms, self-absorbed, overreact easily, lazy, overly fearful, stubborn as crap ;)

biggest fear - honestly, going insane - this would mean loss of self, loss of relationships, loss of really everything IMO

goal in life - live by my faith and hopefully inspire others through it.. really just want to be happily married, raise a family if that works out, make cool stuff, travel as much as possible

best memory - my entire semester abroad.. still feel physical heartbreak if I think too much about missing it - best memory there was probably any time I explored cities with friends or snorkeled a coral reef :wubbie: ;)
or actually it could be my first kiss if I hadn't blocked it out to that relationship ending badly hah

role in life - not to sound preachy but this is true: live my life for Jesus, so I might know him more; otherwise this quote by Kurt Vonnegut really resonates with me: "The function of the artist is to make people like life better than they have before" - basically I want to be a "safe place" for people as we go through life and to make my corner of it as beautiful as I can, physically, spiritually, comically, etc.

What are your plans for the future? What's vital to you when you are in a fight? At the end of the day, what is most important?

Meowbot

MBTI Type
??FP
Hmm. Plans for the future change like every few months, ha. I never really know how to plan for the future because things change... I do fear the future a lot though, and have to take things a step at a time or I'll get overwhlemed. For instance, I'm terrified I'm going to be an old maid one day, because I'm almost 30 and super single. So, there's that. I don't really have plans but to basically "see what happens" haha.. Short term plans (week by week) work best for me.

In a fight, I'm mostly focused on my own personal safety and being understood.

End of the day - my relationships are most important

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey friends!

Hope you can help. I’ve been trying to type myself for years, lol, so more research past this post is probably not going to help. Although I like hearing opinions because I hope I'll find new information that'll help me out (ha think that makes me a P for sure).

First thing you need to know that may affect my typing - I have diagnosed anxiety and some OCD.

I know MBTI isn't perfect (*hides*) but I just feel like I don't know how to live like my true self. I think I've learned to use a lot of the functions in order to "survive" in different situations due to my anxiety disorder. I need "tricks" to figure out what my type may be. I've taken a poop ton of tests so I know what all the questions are trying to figure out. I need provoking questions such as "how did you act at this age level? That's how you are naturally" or “who do you get along best with” or something that reveals that without too much analysis. If that exists, lol. I know about all the cognitive functions but that hasn’t helped much either.

Mostly confused if I’m an extrovert/introvert and sensor/intuitive.

I tell people I’m an ambivert - though most acquaintances tell me I’m a quiet introvert, I disagree.
I do definitely need alone time but not necessarily a lot. If I've been spending a weekend with a group of people I need maybe 20 mins to an hour or so per day to recharge.

But I definitely am energized by social interaction - if I don't get a chance to be alone for about an hour I'll have a hard time sleeping as I process the whole day. And if I'm alone all day with nothing to do I default to going window shopping - just to be out and doing something.

I also definitely get drained by *certain* people. But since I'm anxious I tend to come across as quiet at first or if I am uncomfortable or worried about being judged. So that throws me all off.

I really believe I am an extrovert with social anxiety, but that's not necessarily true, I guess. Especially because I don’t come off that way and wouldn’t people be able to see my extroverted function?

—

As far as sensing vs intuition. I'm pretty good at making connections but I also pick up skills by watching/doing pretty easily. You might see in this post that I use a lot of Ne. But I use a good amount of Ni too, especially for life decisions. And I don't know if those are learned or natural.

I'm horrible at math, physics, chemistry, but have always been good at English and reading comprehension and grammar/spelling - I can tell if a word is spelled wrong visually, if that makes any sense... Like each word is a picture to me. If I've seen it a few times, I know how it's spelled. But anyway, school was always super boring to me so I got by pretty well with cramming and natural abilities.

I like learning about some abstract things, like MBTI, but I'd rather learn a crap ton of skills. I taught myself how to knit by watching online videos, just finished a year of guitar lessons, and I'm teaching myself calligraphy at the moment. I have so many other things I want to learn like sewing, violin, surfing, skiing, omg everything. But there's just not enough time or money lol. Oh and I love working out but am sometimes to lazy to do it ha. Story of everyone's lives.

I'm a visual designer, and I'm confident with technical skills, and can figure most other things out easily or with Google. But while I love being creative, it gives me anxiety to feel like I have to come up with a creative solution on the spot and then I panic that I can't do it. So that makes me think I’m more of a sensor, but with everything else considered, I have no flipping clue.

—

Other random little tidbits that may be helpful OR they may confuse you like they did me! -

I am naturally disorganized both internally and externally and I'm lazy so it's hard for me to care or put in effort a lot of times until I'm overwhelmed with the internal or external chaos I’ve been ignoring. I have recently been learning to organize and value planning and organization but I’ve always been afraid it'll make me boring or un-fun like my dad lol (������) who according to tests is an ISFJ or ISTJ. But I do see the value of keeping a neat room and planning out projects before I do them.

Speaking of my dad, he was so confused when I told him it took me a lot of effort to budget because it’s always so easy and natural for him.

Writing out or speaking my feelings/thoughts helps me process them.

I have pretty traditional morals but kind of see them as untraditional these days - like people think I'm crazy for waiting till marriage - and I don't do it because it's tradition but because I believe in its validity fiercely even though it's insanely difficult lol. LIKE REALLY RIDICULOUSLY HARD (but I digress……)

Incredibly indecisive - I’m not like a J who feels better after a decision or a P who feels better before. lol I am always anxious when it comes to decisions unless I have a clear choice or feeling or intuition about something.

Pet peeves -
* Comments on how I'm living or making decisions… ie., "wow your salad is way smaller than I would have made for myself” makes me feel judged..like dang just let me live my life! Geesh! Or "wow you are throwing away a lot of clothes" Basically feeling like I'm being observed or criticized while living my daily routine for whatever reason bothers me. (I understand this may just be a separate issue and not personality related hahaha).
* Being angry in general, I hate the feeling of being angry.
* when people are mean or put others down just so they can feel better about themselves -_-
* Coffee grinds that fall everywhere and need to be cleaned up. Ugh, the worst texture.
* Ugh, I have more pet peeves but this is a long enough post.

As seen above, criticism is especially painful for me, especially of something I’ve made, or about my personality or looks.

I’ve considered ESFJ but I think I’m a little too “weird” to be an ESFJ haha. I don’t follow social rules just because they’re social rules. And when people do that it usually annoys me. I do try to take care of everyone around me but I don’t like to force my opinions on others. Ill just silently judge ;) and let them do what they want (unless its like, something dangerous, then I try to talk to them about it and figure out where they’re at and pray and do my best guide them to a healthier point of view)

Someone recently said I wouldn’t believe a rumor about another coworker because I "always see the best in people” which I took as a great compliment.

I can be really naive and my coping mechanism is to overthink everything to "protect myself” but it actually makes me crazy anxious.

I care a lot about people.

My INTP friend is the only one who will indulge me in this MBTI talk for more than a few minutes, and the only one I know in real life that knows a lot about the theory. He thinks I'm border E and I, and border S and N.. But he also is a typical INTP and changes his theories and creates new ones every day, haha. Of which I care about 1% ;) But I love and value having friends and being on good terms/at peace with people so I try to find something to relate to everyone I know. Therefore MBTI and anxiety make up me and this INTP's mutual understanding.

I had to write a second draft of this because my first thoughts were all over the place (lol Ne..Te?)

I have an addictive personality :( But usually tend towards stuff like chocolate or shopping or a tv show rather than, say, hard drugs.

If I feel like I’m being treated like crap, especially if I did nothing but try to help, it’s really hard for me, and I can get verbal about it though I generally keep my mouth shut because I know I’ll say some harsh things. But sometimes the venom spews out ������ If I’ve done something stupid or rude it’s easier for me to take being treated like crap, haha. And then I usually apologize profusely.

I love making people laugh and I'll do anything from picking up their sense of humor (to a certain extent, as long as I think it's funny or acceptable, though sometimes I push my own boundaries) to self deprecation to make someone laugh especially if they're upset. People who understand my sense of humor "get" me and vice versa. If you don't get my jokes or at least learn to get them over time we probably will never connect.

I'm probably older than you think I am. In both appearance and nature I am somewhat childlike. And maybe anxiety stunted me a bit so don't judge too hard ;)

I love memes, puns, animal videos, and ridiculous humor. But I also love delivering a joke so dryly that people sometimes can't tell if I'm joking ;) except when they get offended and then I have to explain and it's awkward. Which definitely happens….

I’ve noticed a lot of my closest friends tend to be INFJs or at least test as such. I also have two close friends who are ISTJ and ENFP.

I *think* I'm happiest when I'm doing something physically and not thinking/analyzing.. such as going on a run (though I usually think during those) or making some art, pretty much any time I'm outside in nature, or just conversing with people. But I also get excited about ideas. Most of my stress comes from overanalysis but it's super easy for me to overanalyze. I'm least happy when I'm over analyzing/paranoid (obv).

My username is one of the first things that came to my brain because it's hard coming up with clever usernames and I didn't feel like thinking too hard. It’s actually related to two inside jokes. But despite the “meow,” I am actually a dog person.

My non-mbti-intuition about people and sometimes situations is nearly always right even if I can't pinpoint specifics

I’m moody though, this is mostly anxiety related

Umm? Am I missing anything that might allow someone to help type me lol. Please ask me questions?!

- - - Updated - - -

Ew this is so long. Lol thank you to anyone who reads this whole thing :wubbie:

This post reads so much like you are an ENFP - the way you hop from one idea to another seems very Ne. Also, the way you describe your interests sounds like Ne. I get the impression you are an extravert and not an introvert. I think introverts need a lot more than 20 minutes to recharge. So that means you are probably an Ne dom. Then the question is whether you are a T or an F. I don't see Ti as being your auxiliary function by anything you said. So ENFP.

What do the tests you've taken tell you?

Meowbot

MBTI Type
??FP
This post reads so much like you are an ENFP - the way you hop from one idea to another seems very Ne. Also, the way you describe your interests sounds like Ne. I get the impression you are an extravert and not an introvert. I think introverts need a lot more than 20 minutes to recharge. So that means you are probably an Ne dom. Then the question is whether you are a T or an F. I don't see Ti as being your auxiliary function by anything you said. So ENFP.

Thanks so much for your reply, highlander!

When I first took the test in maybe middle/high school I got INFP.. I've tested as ENFP recently, and have also gotten ESFP, INFJ, ENFJ, ESFJ, and ISFP :shock: I seem to recall getting INTJ once and I laughed because there is no way.

The thing that always throws me off though is that I definitely see that I use Ne a lot, but I think I use Se as well. Which isn't really possible right? At least in this theory?

How do you tell? How do I know I didn't just learn/adapt to use one function versus another? (lol even that question is Ne, isn't it)

Meowbot

MBTI Type
??FP

I can also see either Si or Ni being my inferior functions.. I can be a huge hypochondriac/need routine/overanalyze the past, and I can also get really withdrawn/paranoid/see hidden meanings that arent there/etc. under stress.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks so much for your reply, highlander!

When I first took the test in maybe middle/high school I got INFP.. I've tested as ENFP recently, and have also gotten ESFP, INFJ, ENFJ, ESFJ, and ISFP :shock: I seem to recall getting INTJ once and I laughed because there is no way.

The thing that always throws me off though is that I definitely see that I use Ne a lot, but I think I use Se as well. Which isn't really possible right? At least in this theory?

How do you tell? How do I know I didn't just learn/adapt to use one function versus another? (lol even that question is Ne, isn't it)

What I have learned to notice over the years is that there is a pattern of communication that Ne doms engage in which is very much like the way you communicate here. It is unmistakable. I don't know how to describe it other than to say that INFPs seem more restrained and precise in the way they communicate. ENTPs tend to be more logical and argumentative. As to the Se types, for the most part I have seen them as being very grounded. You have more of the feel of an intuitive to me - like you have so many ideas you don't know what to do with them.

Meowbot

MBTI Type
??FP
What I have learned to notice over the years is that there is a pattern of communication that Ne doms engage in which is very much like the way you communicate here. It is unmistakable. I don't know how to describe it other than to say that INFPs seem more restrained and precise in the way they communicate. ENTPs tend to be more logical and argumentative. As to the Se types, for the most part I have seen them as being very grounded. You have more of the feel of an intuitive to me - like you have so many ideas you don't know what to do with them.

Haha - accurate. Way too many ideas. It can be super overwhelming!

Thanks, highlander! :wubbie: