User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Am I an ISFJ or something else? Please type me.

Hello. I am a 21 year old female. For the past 3-4 years, I've been trying to figure out my MBTI type. When I was 17-18, I would always test as an INTJ or INTP. However, I have consistently typed as an INFJ for the past 6 months now, and I don't think I'm an INFJ. I've also typed as an INFP or ISFP. After discovering the cognitive functions of each type, I'm pretty settled on ISFJ, as I think it fits me the best, but I'm still unsure about this.

Here is a list of traits I posses. I think they fit ISFJ perfectly, but I would like the imput of others before settling on a type:

• I am extremely future oriented. I really do not have any interest in the past, unless it can be helpful for the future. I have a tendency to think about what could be.

• I am not a sentimental person. In fact, I sometimes find extremely sentimental people to be attention seeking, and I find people who constantly talk about things they find sentimental to be irritating.

• I am an extremely shy and reserved person. I'm trying to work on the shyness, but I've been reserved all my life.

• I don't have a huge social circle, and I prefer one-on-one conversation.

• I am concerned with the emotional well-being of others. I tend to be more intuned with the emotions of others than my own. In fact, I am a very closed of person who has been described as hard-to-read. I am often able to feel the emotional state of others, and I'm decent at figuring out what others are thinking. I also hate to dwell on my own emotions. If I'm feeling emotional, I prefer to write it down my journal than just letting it sit in my mind.

• I hate it when people go into excessive details when describing things. I would rather people get to the point when they speak, or I would rather they use analogies or metaphors than tell me pointless details.

• I'm good at figuring out if someone is lying to me.

• I'm good at picking out behavioral patterns, and I use this to determine how I think someone will act in a certain situation.

• I'm decent at analytical thinking, and deciding whether or not what someone says makes logical sense.

• I hate parties and loud crowds.

• I'm indecisive. This is because I'm trying trying to figure out what is best for everyone.

• I don't think about how things were done in the past. I look at each situation with a different perspective, since I think each situation is different, and you cannot compare one to the other. I'm also good at thinking of multiple different ways a situation could end up.

• I love theoretical ideas and concepts, even if I know they have no real-world application. I always think they have the possibility of happening, though.

• When I'm stressed, I tend to overeat, oversleep, get extremely emotional and blunt with people, and I usually just flat-out shut down. I also tend to feel very "sexual" or "adventurous" when in an extreme state of stress, and these thoughts upset me.

• I have crippling social anxiety, and my therapist told me that I may have extremely high functioning Asperger's. I know this has nothing to do with MBTI, but it interferes with my ability to get as close to people as I desire to. I like to help and understand people, but these issues seem to be getting in the way of my ability to do so.

• My family members tell me I worry too much about other people. This is because I'm always thinking ways something could end up, and I try to help/protect people. My twin sister also think's I'm irritating, because I'm always trying to help her fix her issues when she doesn't want help or wants to be alone.

• I am fascinated at how the human mind works. I'm always wondering why people do the things they do, etc.

• I was a lonely child and teenager. I rarely opened up to other people, and I was hard to read.

• I don't try to persuade people to change their opinions. Instead, I like to see why they think the way they do. I'm also not offended when people have different ideas than me.

• I'm not an extremely traditional person, and I question thoughts and ways of thinking that I view as highly ineffective and pointless. I also have my own way of doing things, and I try to make logical sense in my mind.

• I hate small talk and chit-chat.

• I hate social media. I can usually read though people's Instagram and Facebook pages, and I can tell when they're being fake. This is why I avoid social media at all cost.

• I hate doing practical things. Now, I am rather good at managing money and doing everyday task like paying bills, but this is because I can see the long-term impact if I don't do these things. I also prefer to live in my mind, and I'm not fond of "living in the moment", as I don't understand how anyone can truly live in the here and now.

I think I'm an ISFJ because: I'm good at connecting things to form a conclusion, and I often come to conclusions with no logical explanation (Si), I like to help people, and I can connect to and absorb their emotions more than my own (Fe), I form analytical and logical systems in my mind rather than in the external world (Ti), and I see things and react to the external world when in dire situations (Ne). I also read that ISFJ is one of the most common MBTI types amongst women, and they often mistype themselves as INFJ, INFP, ISFP, or ESFJ. If I have described this wrong, then feel free to correct me.
    Likes floraandfauna liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Based on this, I actually would say INFJ > ISFJ. What you're attributing to Si sounds a bit more like Ni to me. Agreed on Fe/Ti from what I can tell.
    Likes Smilephantomhive liked this post

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato Nadeshiko View Post
    Based on this, I actually would say INFJ > ISFJ. What you're attributing to Si sounds a bit more like Ni to me. Agreed on Fe/Ti from what I can tell.
    Why do you think I may use Ni as opposed to Si? I'm just asking because for some reason I have a hard time telling to two apart.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Your bullet point list does not strike me as preferring S/Si at all; for example, your aversion to details and inability/dislike of being in the here and now, and little interest in the past. Also, especially, love of theory even if it has no practical application.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes Yama, Punderstorm, fetus liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Purplemoon View Post
    Why do you think I may use Ni as opposed to Si? I'm just asking because for some reason I have a hard time telling to two apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Your bullet point list does not strike me as preferring S/Si at all; for example, your aversion to details and inability/dislike of being in the here and now, and little interest in the past. Also, especially, love of theory even if it has no practical application.
    ^This, basically. Also, the way you talk about being able to read people strikes me as NiFe.

Si and Ni are very similar, both being introverted perceiving functions and all. Si cares more about the details and the tangibility more so than Ni does.
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    EII None

This is one of the main problems I've had with typing myself for the past few months. Sometimes I frequent the MBTI sub on Reddit, and I asked them to type me. I gave a similar description to the one I posted here, and a few posters were convinced I was an ISFJ. They told me that ISFJ descriptions are not accurate, and that sensors can like theories and hate living in the here-and-now. They also told me that there are more sensors than intuitives, and that I was most likely an ISFJ since it is the one of the most common types. I've also lurked on Reddit's INFJ sub, and a lot of the post seem highly self-centered and over emotional, which is why I sometimes question if I am a thinker and not a feeler, and I cannot relate to the self-victimization on that sub at all. They also seem to post tons of eloquent post on their own feelings and emotions, while when I feel like writing in an eloquent manner, it's usually about my observations on humanity or society as a whole. I just don't feel as though I can relate to most INFJs, which is why I think I'm an ISFJ.

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato Nadeshiko View Post
    ^This, basically. Also, the way you talk about being able to read people strikes me as NiFe.

Si and Ni are very similar, both being introverted perceiving functions and all. Si cares more about the details and the tangibility more so than Ni does.

Ok, now Si and Ni are making a little more sense to me. I'm still not sure if I'm using Si or Ni though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

This is one of the main problems I've had with typing myself for the past few months. Sometimes I frequent the MBTI sub on Reddit, and I asked them to type me. I gave a similar description to the one I posted here, and a few posters were convinced I was an ISFJ. They told me that ISFJ descriptions are not accurate, and that sensors can like theories and hate living in the here-and-now. They also told me that there are more sensors than intuitives, and that I was most likely an ISFJ since it is the one of the most common types. I've also lurked on Reddit's INFJ sub, and a lot of the post seem highly self-centered and over emotional, which is why I sometimes question if I am a thinker and not a feeler, and I cannot relate to the self-victimization on that sub at all. They also seem to post tons of eloquent post on their own feelings and emotions, while when I feel like writing in an eloquent manner, it's usually about my observations on humanity or society as a whole. I just don't feel as though I can relate to most INFJs, which is why I think I'm an ISFJ.
    I agree that sensors can like theory (heck, I can like theory and have read many books sensors 'shouldn't' enjoy reading according to stereotypes), do theory in school, excel at it, etc. I can do all of that. But it's your specifically saying it doesn't have to have a practical application.

For example.... I might like theory, hence can participate on this forum, but I'll be honest..... if this is a real-life conversation, and the theory-talk goes beyond 15 minutes, into the hours-long realm, I'll be incredibly bored. I just... get bored with all of the talk. I'd rather be doing things. (This isn't across the board for all sensors, though.... an ISFJ for example may be much more inclined to be fine talking for hours, maybe even about theory (I don't know... SJ's would have to chime in).

I think the best way to decide your type is honestly hanging around this forum, and other forums as you have been doing, get a feel for how the different types post, what their thoughts are, how they think and process, and you might get a better idea.

Going off a bullet point list is never going to be a science -- there were just things that caught my eye that seemed unlikely for an Si-dom especially.

But yeah... it's no science. Good luck!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Likes Yama, Golden Heart, Punderstorm, fetus liked this post

MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    EII None

I agree that sensors can like theory (heck, I can like theory and have read many books sensors 'shouldn't' enjoy reading according to stereotypes), do theory in school, excel at it, etc. I can do all of that. But it's your specifically saying it doesn't have to have a practical application.

For example.... I might like theory, hence can participate on this forum, but I'll be honest..... if this is a real-life conversation, and the theory-talk goes beyond 15 minutes, into the hours-long realm, I'll be incredibly bored. I just... get bored with all of the talk. I'd rather be doing things. (This isn't across the board for all sensors, though.... an ISFJ for example may be much more inclined to be fine talking for hours, maybe even about theory (I don't know... SJ's would have to chime in).

I think the best way to decide your type is honestly hanging around this forum, and other forums as you have been doing, get a feel for how the different types post, what their thoughts are, how they think and process, and you might get a better idea.

Going off a bullet point list is never going to be a science -- there were just things that caught my eye that seemed unlikely for an Si-dom especially.

But yeah... it's no science. Good luck!
    Ok, I'll try looking on the type forums.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

Ok, now Si and Ni are making a little more sense to me. I'm still not sure if I'm using Si or Ni though.
    This is really the only good ISFJ description/video I've ever seen. I haven't watched any of his others yet but he has an INFJ one as well. I would recommend watching them, shadowing a few members of the types you are suspecting and perhaps asking them questions, browsing our threads, and getting involved in the community. It's a bit of a small community here so the longer you stick around and the more you post, the better feel we will get for you (which is much more possible than on large forums where it feels like shouting during a storm imo). Then it will be easier to find examples of how you use Si/Ni/any function in actual real life and conversation just from being yourself in a group of typology lovers.

Here are a few threads I can recommend you to get you started!

Wherever you have Si in your stack of pancakes, how do you identify with it?

Si = Good Memory?

Si as "conservative" (semantics + misconceptions)

xNxJs: describe Ni as you understand it

I might also recommend another good way to figure out your type, if you are having trouble determining your dominant function, is to look at the inferior. In this case, Ne for ISFJ and Se for INFJ. Typing by inferior is, I've found, another good way to go when you're stuck, as the inferior manifests in unique ways for each type.
    Likes Norrsken, Punderstorm, fetus liked this post