• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Isfp or infp?

Awfld05

MBTI Type
ISFP
Please help me decide whether I'm an Isfp or infp!
I keep "deciding" on Isfp and then something will again make me consider infp.
I think I'm mainly trying to understand my way of thinking compared to intuitive of sensing.
I am not a detail oriented person - but I can be meticulous about details, say if it something that I do on a daily basis - but as far as noticing details, I'm not as good. For example, at work I am constantly stapling papers - when I do this, I want for the papers to all line up perfectly, and I purposely make sure that the staple is straight when I staple my papers. But say I'm riding in a car with my husband, he will always notice details like the license plate or a sticker on the car, while I'm usually too mesmerized with the shinyness and pretty colors of the cars - lol. I tend to really stare at things --- honestly, I will stare at, for example, a stain on the carpet - and someone could walk in and say "hey look at that stain!" And I'll think "hmmm that was a stain I've been staring at for only the past 5 minutes!" Lol - it can be embarrassing because I want to notice those particular details, but I tend to be off in la la land!
Hm. I can be a dreamer and an idealist - I'll sometimes have some ideas of the big picture of how the world could be a better place without all the cell phones, new technology etc , but my ideas are always very practical in the sense that they aren't about unicorns and fairies. I am actually not very into fantasy and mystical things because I just simply see them as "not real" so they don't appeal to me.
I tend to be pretty good at telling whether I can trust someone or not. I can't say if my ideas are always right - but I usually can get a good sense as to whether this person is going to gossip about me or if they are genuinely caring, and that's how I will usually decide whether I can open up to a person ---- but most of the time I don't open up to people out of being shy ... Also, my thoughts tend to be more about emotions and my take on life than people will usually talk about -- and I love to talk about my life and how I feel about people and the world around me.
Not sure what else I can say. Any questions to help give any more info about me?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can type as S--and still think about the big picture, but I guess it just means that you're more inclined to be practical, yes.

I'm pretty sure most INFP's wouldn't notice stains unless they were really obvious, to be honest. We are seriously really bad for that, on average at least.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I too was undecided between those two long ago...considering ISFJ wouldn't be unwise.

Awfld05

MBTI Type
ISFP
Well when I read about the Isfp it sounds so strangely like me -- I can relate and understand the descriptions of Isfp, almost as if someone was describing my mind and way of thinking. The infp is a bit close too.
I definitely am a perceiver - hate stucture and order , I am organized because I have to be and I enjoy a clean space but I did not grow up being organized --- it has also taken me a lot of thought to understand how to organize. My way of thinking has always been based on being "accommodating" - not creating a schedule for the reason of believing that it's best to not be so structured that you can't take things as they come to you.
I'm definitely an introverted feeler. I live in my mind thinking of how I feel about everything! When talking to me in person, I base my decisions on how I feel about something - just recently I've learned to teach myself to "think" more in situations.
And I'm definitely introverted - besides being quiet - I enjoy my time alone, almost to a fault! I have to have my time to be alone and think.
So these are the two types the fit me best. :)

Purple INFJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
I tend to really stare at things --- honestly, I will stare at, for example, a stain on the carpet - and someone could walk in and say "hey look at that stain!" And I'll think "hmmm that was a stain I've been staring at for only the past 5 minutes!"

I think you might be ISFP, singular focus on a specific thing is an Ni/Se trait.

With INFPs, it's challenging to find a point when they're talking, it's a tendency of Si/Ne types. They can talk about multiple things and you can struggle to find what they're aiming for in conversation.

ISFPs tend to be more direct because of their Ni/Se pref. axis. They'll focus on what it is that's relevant to them when talking, and won't tend to deviate from that until they're finished naking their point.