• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trying to figure out type.

Snakewise

I actually posted this on a reddit subforum for MBTI, so I figure I'd post it here too for a wider pool of input.

First things first, I'm a 30 year old male. I've been researching a lot lately and I tend to get a bit confused as to the 8 functions, so while I may think I lean towards a few, I'm not completely sure it's right.

When I take any mbti tests, the results pretty much vary between INTP, INFP and ISTP. Cognitive function tests tend to contradict, like getting high Ti and Fi. I probably just don't understand the questions fully, which would explain middle ground and flip-flopping on results.

I tend to relate to Se-Ni more than the other way around. I consider myself introverted. I think I agree with Ti-Fe more than Fi-Te. I of course could be mistake on any of them, though I spend a lot of time alone and on a computer so I don't doubt I'm introverted.

• My thoughts are pretty random or I talk about things I notice that others don't, which confuses people sometimes.
  • I rarely make eye contact with people (shyness).
  • I don't talk a lot, but it's more because I have nothing to say.
  • I may be very quiet with strangers, but I am really outgoing with my close friends. I guess it has to do with trust.
  • I have trouble blocking things like sounds out in public, such as other people's conversations.
  • When I see people cry I tend to get teary-eyed too.
  • I tend to be reserved and things very rarely bother me, but when my emotions do come out it's in the form of rants.
  • When people do irritate me, I usually shut them out and don't bother talking to them.
  • When I'm irritated it's because of people's stupidity. Well maybe stupidity is the wrong word. Small mistakes are fine. I just find there is a very thin line between doing something I find stupid and being a jerk.
  • I can plan things, but I'm more likely to improvise. Especially since I can easily lose focus.
  • I'm pretty good at MacGuyver-ing items. Believe me, it's something when you manage to reach an item out of your reach with a McDonald's bag, a cord and a 2-liter bottle just because you were to lazy too get up.
  • I have trouble thinking of specific words in conversations sometimes, asking myself, "what word am I thinking of?"
  • I tend to say insensitive jokes without realizing it. (Which might be why I have a shirt design up for voting on Threadless showcasing a comic book about color blind people trying to disarm a red/green wired bomb. #ShamelessPlug)
  • That shameless plug leads directly into me having an offbeat sense of humor.
  • I don't like being told what to do and am rather anti-authority.
  • I'm willing to drop what I'm doing if a friend wants to go somewhere or do something.
  • I never really take sides, but that's more because I don't agree with either side rather than wanting to be nice.
  • Optimists get on my nerves more than pessimists do.
  • My line of thinking, say if one sports team is undefeated and the other has no wins, is that the team with no wins is likely to be victorious just because that seems to be the nature of the universe.
  • If it makes any difference, I will add that I've noticed about myself is that I can always figure out my favorite character in a tv show or movie because I tend to pick up tendencies from them and act/feel a bit like them.

Anyway, I'll still be researching of course. Thanks for your time.

Edit: I believe one nugget of information I should add that I never considered looking at is my time in school. I was a good student until I got to the 9th grade. Then I hit a road block, stopped caring about things and started getting really bad grades. It was so bad I was expelled from my school and had to go to another school district. It was a year into the new school that I got into drama and was in a few plays. Judging by reactions from the crowd, my English teacher who was a part-time stage actor and the director of the last play I was in, I must have been pretty good at it. Anyway, after that I started getting really good grades. Either I found something I really liked or I let some of that praise get to my head thus was more cheery and willing to work at my grades. Something to think about. Actually, it funny because there is even one more thing I never thought of until writing this and it's that the first year of doing plays was also the year I first kissed a girl. Maybe the plays had nothing to do with it.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTP from the information given. You could be something else though.

I guess I have to ask the essential question. What do you do/how do you act when you're stressed? And what tends to stress you out?

Snakewise

I tend to yell, become very negative when stressed out and I swear. A lot. As for what stresses me out I'd say it's when I encounter things I feel I have little or no control over. So feelings of helplessness. People in general also stress me out and I can become really misanthropic at times. One thing I can say about what stresses me out and how I react to it is that I REALLY don't like to quit. So if it's failing to figure something out or to progress in a game, it can get pretty ugly.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
This all sounds very ISTP to me. Especially the McGyver stuff.
A sensitive ISTP. And your T preference does not seem very pronounced. Sounds like you probably have good F capacities too (interest in plays, tearjerking, ...)
ISTP makes the most sense. Functions : Ti-Se-Ni and baby Fe ;)

Willow Tree

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
  • If it makes any difference, I will add that I've noticed about myself is that I can always figure out my favorite character in a tv show or movie because I tend to pick up tendencies from them and act/feel a bit like them.

I am an NF, and I can really relate to this. I end up imitating the character and wanting to be like him/her as well.

You do seem to use Se though, and either Ti/Fi at a good amount - (you have to...)

I'll go with ISTP for the meantime. A side question: How interested are you in these typing things? That itself is quite a good indicator.

Snakewise

I'd say I'm mostly curious. "Where would I fit in with this system?" Sometimes I use it as a reference for possibly understanding why I react to things the way I do, other times I might just like to be a geek and wonder where my type would fit in with fictional characters.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Type sibling detected: ISTP.

Snakewise

There is one thing I never really thought of that might be somewhat pertinent. As I said I'm normally pretty calm, but when I do get frustrated I tend to yell and rant. The other thing is that I haven't sat down and listened to music in a while and doing so now I'm reminded that I tend to get a bit too into the songs. It's very difficult for me not to sing along to music I like and they bring out a lot of emotion I normally don't show. Sounds to me like I don't realize I suppress my emotions.