• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an ISFJ?

Goya

I posted this questionnaire on another forum, and the people who answered agreed on me being an ISFJ. I guess that sometimes I question this due to stereotypes, like ISFJ being very sentimental, always willing to help others, very organized, detail oriented.... which I don't really fit. Also I'm quite indeciseve and have a hard time narrowing down options, I read this on some site and felt identified with it I am very indecisive, often lacking the ability to make important decisions, especially with regards to my own future. I may know what I want to achieve out of life in a broad or long term sense, but I find it very difficult to set and finish the short term projects leading to it. In order to be able to act, I need a tangible and definite stimulus from somebody well grounded in external reality and who has a clear picture of what must be done in a certain situation.

I'll be waiting for your answers, thanks!

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?

I think I’d feel devastated and in some way, betrayed that he ended our relationship suddenly with no explanations. A feeling of not knowing who that person really was.
Upon hearing the news that he’d been diagnosed with terminal cancer I’d feel even worse. We were close and he should have told me, but I would feel even worse for him, I couldn’t blame him because it’s an extreme situation, so I don’t know if I would have reacted the same way.

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?

They’d be on the other person. I would actually feel really bad for him, for all the pain and fear he must be growing through. I don’t want any of my loved ones to not feel good emotionally. I would also really try to be there for him, listen to him and try to comfort him.

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

I’ve helped people who I barely knew during high school, so I’d help her. If she had asked to copy mine, I’m not sure I’d agree on that, but since she’s asking for my help and I’m good at the subject, I think it’s fair.

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?

I get along with her, so to some degree, I tolerate this person. If I were in a similar situation, I’d really appreciate if the other person helped me.

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

I guess at first I’d feel a little bit like this person is taking advantage of me. Like ok, we get along, but we’re not really close. She’s coming to me when she needs my help, so it can seem a bit cheeky. But at the end of the day, she’s asking for my help to pass the subject by herself, so that’s why I’d help her.

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

I’d rather take project 2, because it’s more specific and I can do it on my own, including the research.

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?

To be honest, I was put off by having to work with other people. Whenever I do this, feel like it kind of tires me, if I’m really passionate about the project, I’ll voice my opinion but usually I agree with what the others say.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.
- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.
When I think of a group project the first thought I have is “oh no”. However, as these people are willing and ethical, I wouldn’t feel so bad about it. In this situation, I would have thought of ideas of my own, so I’d listen to what their saying and see if any resonates with mine. If I hear an idea that’s better, I’ll support it.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.

I find brain-storming to be a bit tiring, it’s hard for me to think of so many ideas. So at the end, I’ll just go with the one that I think would be better for our project.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?

I like meeting with friends and just chat about our lives, go to the cinema, have a drink…. I also really like staying at home and relax in my bed, while I watch a tv show, movie, a youtube video…

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?

For this question I’ll give a few examples:

- If I go out and I don’t know well another person (or people) but my friends do, it will draw my energy trying to socialize with that person as well as with my friend. Because I don’t know the other person, I find it hard to find topics to discuss.
-I have a friend who thinks about plans but actually rarely does any of them. Like studying a degree, traveling abroad or something as simple as going to “X” place to eat, to visit… It really draws my energy, like plan it already and when you have it set, then talk about it.
-Lastly, I have a friend who is constantly thinking about cheating on her boyfriend (they don’t live close) but her bringing up the topic is really tiring. I can see the main cause of that problem and she still doesn’t want to accept
the truth. I can be understanding and try not to be harsh, but it’s tiring because there’s no point in doing it xD

SCENARIO 6

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor
- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

1. Medical doctor. I really love science, I actually majored in a scientific degree, but I feel like it isn’t “me” because it’s more analytical whereas I see health sciences as way more interesting. In fact, it’s a subject that I like and if I can I try to give advice (like women’s health, skin care…). Also, doctors are usually important figures in people’s life, and I’d like to make a difference. However, I can’t stand blood and disease >.<
2. Counselor. I kind of like to guide people, try to put them in the track that’s best for them. I find that with my friends, I even google things for them, so that they can have all the information.
3. Scientist. I guess if I were good at this, it can be quite fulfilling as well. I wouldn’t like it to be too analytical, let’s stay in the lab all day.

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?

The first one was easy, the second one I had to give it a thought for a second, and the third one I kind of struggled.

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you, where do you imagine finding the most fulfillment and why?

I kind of already mentioned it before, I like that doctors can actually make a difference in someone’s life, and I find knowing about the human body and how it works quite fascinating.

SCENARIO 7

Click on the image below and pay close attention to the things that jump out to you, objects, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

Personality Cafe

- Describe the main things that stand out to you in this picture.

The first thing that caught my eye is the contrast between the light at the top, and the darkness at the bottom. For the first millisecond I wasn’t even sure what image it was.
Then I noticed the water, the shape of the rocks…

- Why do you think/feel you focused on those things?

When I see pictures I think that I tend to see them as a whole, then pay attention to the details and overally, what the picture conveys.

- Describe the strength with which this photo did or did not appeal to you and why?

I liked the photo, it kind of makes me feel small and shows the beauty of nature and made me think about how that landscape was before those rocks were carved though millenniums.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I really enjoyed reading your scenarios. I could see ISFJ working but I could also see some other types working. Is there something about ISFJ that doesn't feel right to you?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Pro tip: ISFJ descriptions are crap and make me angsty because they're very enneagram 2, Fe-heavy flavored.

I'm not all that great at typing people, but it sounds like ISFJ could work, but like Verona said, I could see others working as well. I do think I see Si/Ne in any case.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, I think you're an IxFJ, leaning towards ISFJ. Stereotypes are stereotypes, don't let them narrow your view of type. Heck I think I'm an INFP, which is commonly stereotyped as a special snowflake, emotional crybaby who can't use logic in any way, but I don't fit the stereotype at all!

Anything about ISFJ that seems iffy?

Goya

I think it's what I've mentioned before and maybe not fully understanding what Si is and how it works.
Also the stereotypes don't help, for example, ISFJs are typically described as sentimental people who rely on the past, I'll give an example. I have a friend who wants to regain touch with his old HS friends who he hasn't seen in like 10 years and says they weren't good friends. I don't understand his behaviour, I told him that if someone had contacted me after that many years... I probably wouldn't have even answered. He can't understand why I think that's all BS, for me, the past has past. I dislike when people are too sentimental and can't move forward, one has to accept that this is how the world works.

I'll give more examples using this friend, because I feel like we tend to have more differences. I naturally have a good memory, so the whole "ISFJ are good at remembering things" would match, but I'm not that detailed oriented. For example, I love travelling but I dislike the whole packing and preparing for the trip, I also prefer it if someone else plans out what we're going to see, what transportation to use... If I have to plan something, it's because I'm going to do it. My friend on the other hand, likes to plan a lot even before having any actual plans, but at the end, ends up doing nothing or very few things. I guess I'm more impulsive in that sense and a bit more careless (I told him I had gone on holidays to a place without any medical insurance and he wanted to scold me).

Also, I've read that ISFJs basically like to serve people, are very warm and like to talk about their feelings. I'm not like this, I try to be nice to everyone because I find that's the correct thing to do. In a way, I want people to have a good image of me. I don't come across as being "warm" and I don't like talking about my feelings, but that's because most of the time I can work it out on my own. My friend on the other hand, is a drama queen. He has to talk about every single little thing that may have hurt his feelings or any misunderstanding. I just live and let others live, if you know what I mean xD

My friend is stuck at a job that he doesn't like, but he did to follow his dad's steps. He'd like to change his career, but at the same time, he says he can do that job as long as it pays for this bills and stuff. I kind of agree with that, but I need my job to feel fulfilling. For example, I had a job where I had to do the very same things every freaking day, I felt so miserable. I read that ISFJ tend to like routines in their jobs, and having to pay attention to details, but I'm not like that.

I could come up with maaaaany more examples, but I'll stop for now xD

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Also, I've read that ISFJs basically like to serve people, are very warm and like to talk about their feelings. I'm not like this

Me neither. I can't say whether you're an ISFJ or not because I'm crap at trying to type people I don't know on a more personal level, but yeah, the whole "living to serve others thing" is blegh and ugh and no. It should be illegal to write that in the descriptions lol. (Though I think ESFJs have it worse than ISFJs when it comes to descriptions and stereotypes). Basically, you don't have to be effusive and warm to be an ISFJ. Too much emphasis gets put on the Fe in those descriptions, so Si heavy ISFJs like myself hardly relate--usually not at all--to the descriptions, which unfortunately, many people take at face-value as accurate.

But again. Really bad at typing people with so little to go off of. The more you post around the forum, "make yourself known" and give people multiple chances to get a good look at how you act while discussing various topics, the more accurately we can answer. For now, I'm going to call you a Ne/Si or Si/Ne user, as that's mostly what I've gathered from what you've posted so far. Could be ISFJ, could be something else.

Where I do differ vastly from you though is that I am extremely sentimental, almost unhealthily so. That's one stereotype I do fit completely into. :p Most others, though, like living to serve and being emotionally expressive and warm and effusive and crap... nah, not really. Especially when I'm not comfortable or around people I know well... strangers who see me in public would definitely peg me as a T. Probably an ISTJ lol. ISFJ descriptions suck.

I'd look more into studying the functions, finding which ones you think you see in yourself, perhaps shadowing a few members on here of the types you think you might be, contacting them, filling out more questionnaires, interacting more on the forum, etc. to get as accurate a typing as possible.

Goya

Me neither. I can't say whether you're an ISFJ or not because I'm crap at trying to type people I don't know on a more personal level, but yeah, the whole "living to serve others thing" is blegh and ugh and no. It should be illegal to write that in the descriptions lol. (Though I think ESFJs have it worse than ISFJs when it comes to descriptions and stereotypes). Basically, you don't have to be effusive and warm to be an ISFJ. Too much emphasis gets put on the Fe in those descriptions, so Si heavy ISFJs like myself hardly relate--usually not at all--to the descriptions, which unfortunately, many people take at face-value as accurate.

But again. Really bad at typing people with so little to go off of. The more you post around the forum, "make yourself known" and give people multiple chances to get a good look at how you act while discussing various topics, the more accurately we can answer. For now, I'm going to call you a Ne/Si or Si/Ne user, as that's mostly what I've gathered from what you've posted so far. Could be ISFJ, could be something else.

Where I do differ vastly from you though is that I am extremely sentimental, almost unhealthily so. That's one stereotype I do fit completely into. :p Most others, though, like living to serve and being emotionally expressive and warm and effusive and crap... nah, not really. Especially when I'm not comfortable or around people I know well... strangers who see me in public would definitely peg me as a T. Probably an ISTJ lol. ISFJ descriptions suck.

I'd look more into studying the functions, finding which ones you think you see in yourself, perhaps shadowing a few members on here of the types you think you might be, contacting them, filling out more questionnaires, interacting more on the forum, etc. to get as accurate a typing as possible.

How, would you say, does sentiment feel to you? Maybe I have the wrong idea of it and I'm more sentimental than I want to admit.

Ne/Si would be an INFP? I've thought about this too, but I think I have a stronger T and I'm not sure about using Fi.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you are an ISFJ, the stronger T comes from the fact that Ti is the tert function for ISFJs. INFPs have T as their weakest function, but I don't exactly see INFP for you.

Goya

I forgot to add.... I suck at long term planning. And by "long" I mean I don't know what I'll be doing in 6 months... or in two weeks xD
I recently started a job, I'm still adjusting but I can't help to feel depressed, because I don't love it and I just feel so miserable that I haven't discovered that vocation that people talks about. At home, my family says I have to stick to it as long as possible unless I find something better while my mind just goes through the different options that I could be doing. I just can't help to think about the future. Again, the quote that I posted in the beginning, fits perfectly:

I am very indecisive, often lacking the ability to make important decisions, especially with regards to my own future. I may know what I want to achieve out of life in a broad or long term sense, but I find it very difficult to set and finish the short term projects leading to it. In order to be able to act, I need a tangible and definite stimulus from somebody well grounded in external reality and who has a clear picture of what must be done in a certain situation.

Deep inside I feel like I have a broad vision of what I'd like in the future, but it feels like something's blocking it. I tend to take things as they come, just to "live the experience" and learn from it, hoping that that will clear my vision, but I feel like I'm still very confused.