• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP ... or INTJ stuck in Ni-Fi loop?

scatterbrain

Enneagram
5w4
Hi everyone,

I would need your help to help me figure out my type!

I usually test as INFP, and there are many aspects that I could definitely relate to so I hadn’t really been looking into other types. But lately I got to know an INTJ and we got along really well--so I started to do some research on INTJs. I was surprised that I could actually relate a lot to the functional stack descriptions, especially when reading about the Ni-Fi loop. I am sure I have Fi and Te somewhere in my stack, but not quite sure which one is stronger. I feel like I use them for different purposes, and lately I have been having problems with procrastination which makes me consciously rate my Te low in online tests although I understand the importance of Te and would really like to develop it (I have a science background, and I would typically come off as a thinker to most people). I feel my Te is weaker than I would have liked it to be, but I don't know whether it's weak because I'm an INFP and it's my inferior function or because I am an INTJ stuck in a Ni-Fi loop.

Fi/Te -- I use both in decision-making, depending on the type of problem I have at hand. I do have certain values that I hold close to me, and I would feel very uncomfortable if I have to act against it. But as long as these are not violated, then I’m perfectly fine with using my Te, when I am ‘healthy’. I use Te usually for more routine decisions, eg. doing household chores—how can I finish the different chores in the shortest amount of time? In what combination or order should I do them? For bigger decisions, I guess I tend to use my Fi, or a combination of Fi and Te, I’m not sure. If a decision needs to be made between doing something that violates my personal values and one that doesn’t, then Fi will win. But I can always rationalize it too, eg. if I'm doing something that doesn't feel right to me than I would probably take a longer time to do it (or never finish it at all) because I'm not comfortable, so better take the other option so I can still get the job done.

Regarding Ne/Ni -- I find myself still confused by the difference, as I think I use both. Ne: I like to explore and absorb new information, I like traveling and exploring a new environment, but I don't experiment much with my surroundings as, say, an ENFP would. Ni: I do think and ponder deeply and a dissect and information from many different perspectives. I ask a lot of 'Why' questions. I can be considered indecisive as I consider too many viewpoints before making a decision (which contributes to my procrastination when writing a scientific paper! There's a lot of different ways I could tackle the problem from and it just gets too much to write). I don't know whether this is Ne/Ni but I'm quite good at maths and languages, usually I solve a problem by getting the patterns, sometimes before even understanding what it means or why it is that way.

As for Si/Se -- I don't have any strong preference for either (maybe I gravitate slightly towards Se), I guess in either INFP or INTJ they are also quite low. Si: I don't find myself too attached to a particular culture--I'm a hybrid, having spent a few years in the East and the West, both in childhood and adulthood, and I can find value in both cultures. I have no qualms with preserving tradition to keep it from dying, as long as it doesn't inflict harm or marginalize certain groups (gender/ethnicity/caste/social class). But if the costs outweighs the benefits, even in the local context, then we shouldn't insist on preserving it. In any case I believe culture and traditions is dynamic and will continue to evolve along with us. I like to follow protocols to certain extent, but usually only as a jumping board. Afterwards I will often find it too restrictive and think of other ways to do it better. Se: I have bad coordination and motoric skills, but I am a visual person and relatively good in arts. Used to oil paint and graphic design with software, also into photography, and now trying to learn watercolor. I like instrumental music but could never get myself to master an instrument to be able to play it well. I love taking walk in nature and watching films with good cinematography, simply because of the visual aspect of it.

Perhaps now I should try to answer a questionnaire to help you help me figure out which type I am!

To help you guys help me, perhaps I should try to fill in one of the questionnaires. So here goes!

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

English is not my native language. I'm 26, female, and in early pregnancy. Have a history of anxiety but have seen a counselor and am generally better now.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

Flickr: Page Not Found

It's visually pleasing and interesting. It has a nice composition and a nice balance between dark and light; I like the monochromatic palette, it highlights all the different lines/patterns/textures in the picture. If it were in color it may not have had the same effect. For me it is also a representation of urban existence--the sharp lines bring to mind those typically found in the urban environment, the frenetic patterns symbolize the everyday chaos of urban life, and the lone figure represents the individualistic way of life of urban inhabitants which often also brings loneliness (the shadows). For me, the image as a whole illustrates how one often feels alone in navigating the chaos of urban existence.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

My initial thoughts will be: oh shit, will we be able to go to the concert at all? I hope we’ll find a solution fast so we can still arrive on time. I’ll also probably quietly using my phone will try to figure out where we are, how far we are from the venue or from home.

Outward reaction: depends on who I am with. If there’s a dominant person around and his/her suggestions makes sense, I’ll just follow along. But if everybody else seems lost, I will usually be the voice of reason and will try to calm people down. First I’ll ask if anyone among us can fix the car. If not, then I’ll ask if anyone knows whether there is a garage/place to fix the car (if no one knows, I’ll Google it). If there’s no place where we can fix the car, then try to call the car towing service or see if there is place where we can leave the car safely and whether there is public transport to get to the venue from where we’re stranded. If there’s no place to safely park the car, then bad luck. I’ll suggest we just stay with the car and not go to the concert (or if someone will kindly volunteer to). If there is a safe park to place and there is transport (public/taxi/hitchhike) then we’ll go.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I don’t enjoy parties because there’s just so many people and I can’t stand the smell of alcohol (I also don’t drink). Sometimes I dance, if I’m in the mood, but sometimes not. So in general, I won’t be happy with the party idea. But if the others want to stay for the afterparty, of course they can stay. Whether or not I stay will depend on the vibe I get on the spot. If I’m not comfortable I’ll just take a cab home. If it’s comfortable enough I guess I can accompany and chat with the driver if he/she also doesn’t drink (I can’t drive, otherwise I may just offer to drive back while he/she enjoy some drinks).

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Inwardly, I would totally disagree. Depending on the claim he makes, I may be become a bit angry or feel disgusted. But I will still try to see and consider where he is coming from. After all, his reason for making such a claim may also be valid.

What I say outwardly, again, depends on the degree of closeness I am with this person and the level of offense. If it’s something very minor and we’re not close I may just shrug it off. But if I very disagree then I’d probably ask why he made such a claim, and offer an alternative point of view(s). I would never say he’s wrong, but would remind him to be careful in making such strong statements without considering alternative explanations. If he refuses to consider other explanations I may enter ‘debate mode’, but if he still doesn’t budge I’d just let it go… He may just be ignorant or doesn’t know any better due to the way he was brought up…

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I am open to adapting my beliefs if a new evidence comes in and it is convincing enough for me, but I may also stick to my old belief when it applies to me while considering that there are alternative ways of looking at it which other people may prefer. To be honest though, this process of adapting my values if it needs to is never easy and can be quite painful.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

That we shouldn’t easily judge people based on their appearance, beliefs, or outward behavior, and we shouldn’t easily label things as ‘right’ or ‘wrong’. We should always first consider the context they are in. And I believe nobody should ever purposely hurt others if they themselves weren’t harmed by the other person.

I guess I adopted these values as I’m often the designated ‘counselor’ among my peers—if anybody has problems, they’ll come to me. I come from a relatively conservative Eastern society in which pride and honor plays a major role in daily life. So things like sexual orientation, gender identity, domestic violence, substance abuse, and psychological disorders and the like are not discussed openly. But somehow people always come to me to discuss these issues. So I came to know about all sorts of problems they face, which they do not always reveal in public. No matter how successful, beautiful, rich and accomplished someone is, they all have their own struggles. The reverse is also true, those who are often seen as outcasts, misfits, defected and ostracized by the society are not always bad, evil, or sources of trouble. They can also be bright individuals with noble hearts from whom we can also learn a thing or two. Because I know these people very well and know that they are so much more than their labels, I am always upset (or even angry) if someone says something derogatory or slaps on a certain label on a particular group, especially if it’s only based on hearsay.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

7a) I’m not too sure. I guess I’m a generally quiet and boring person on the outside—but my inner world is very colorful, and I only share it with few selected people. I ponder about everything that it ponderable, lol. And though I’m generally timid, I can be very defensive if people I care about are hurt or wronged.

7b) I hope I can be more open and that I can translate the things that are going on in my head into reality and share it with others, so people could get to know me better and would not misunderstand me.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Hunches and gut feelings are good and can be useful, but I also believe they should also be balanced and cross-checked with facts and the reality of what is actually happening. Most of my gut feelings are often triggered when it relates to someone’s emotions/feelings, or the consequences of one’s actions.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

9a) Getting to know a new knowledge, engaging in deep discussions about why things are a certain way, doing something creative/arty, watching good adventure/fantasy/animated movies or those with brilliant cinematography, and strolling in nature.

9b) Being forced to attend a social function with people I’m not familiar with/cannot relate to at all. I hate small talk. If I can’t find a topic, I’ll end up being quiet and things will be awkward or people will think I’m stuck up or uncaring.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

I tend to avoid hurting others’ feelings because I just don’t like making people uncomfortable and I don’t enjoy conflict. If I have to disagree with someone I will do it in a way that is as diplomatic as possible (and at the right moment) while still trying to be honest. Some of my values and beliefs are considered too liberal for my family and in-laws, and our worlds are so different (and so our perspectives are so different) that often I feel it’s no use trying to explain and reason with them (especially elders) because it will only bring conflict. Sometimes I also feel the need to tone down my ‘rationality’. I have a science background, so sometimes in arguments or discussions I bring up the science card where appropriate and my family (even my ENFP husband, in the past) will often say that I am being too rational and not everything can be explained by science (although I never claimed so either, actually). That discouraged me for awhile, so nowadays I tend to choose with whom I can engage in a discussion using my Te.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, enneagram will make it harder to type you because INTJ 5w4s can look a lot like INFPs and vice versa. You seem like an IxFP.

How do you criticize people?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As someone also female, in science and from a conservative east Asian background (who lived alone in a Western country for most of my adult life), I get a lot of what you're saying. Only you can judge what is going on internally and your own type, but I mistyped as INXP before because of expectations that I was projecting on to myself, and was stuck in Ni/Fi for a long time too. My Fi is also exceptionally strong, and plays a large role in my life - but it was only after I gained self-confidence and experienced more stuff that one day it all "clicked" and I recognised myself as an INTJ. A lot of this is cultural because being INTJ/female completely goes against social expectations - this is especially so in Asia. Sometimes you end up confusing the game for the internal experience, and sometimes the outside and how others see you gets projected inwards.

Why INFPs, INTPs, INFJs, & INTJs Struggle to Act

I just came across this, you might find it helpful.

scatterbrain

Enneagram
5w4
Hi you two, thanks for taking the time to read my post and helping me to type myself! It's very much appreciated ;) Now, some remarks:

Hmm, enneagram will make it harder to type you because INTJ 5w4s can look a lot like INFPs and vice versa. You seem like an IxFP.

Interesting, what made you think that I could be a sensor? I am fairly certain that I'm an intuitive, because most of the time I'm stuck inside my head and seldom feel in the moment. Feels like I'm stuck in another dimension or something, lol. I would think and ponder about how a certain tradition or culture came to be, how humans migrated from Africa to populate the Earth and developed their currently distinct physical characteristics (what may their function be?), why certain mythical figures would show up in vastly different cultures, what are dreams made of, can one day we figure out a scientific technique that may test the presence of a spirit world? Random stuff like that, that doesn't relate at all to my day job :blush:

I also find it a bit frustrating when talking to some sensors, like my ESTJ dad, ISFJ mother-in-law, and my ESTP and ESFJ friends. Our conversations are so.. dry and uninspiring. It can be fun with my sensor friends, but we would never discus about the meaning of life or something :D It's muchhhhh easier to talk to my ENFP husband, father-in-law, and friends; INTP mom; INTJ friend; and ENFJ ex-boss. We can get into pretty deep and interesting discussions.

How do you criticize people?

If a person I care about (husband, mother, friend) is doing something that may harm or get themselves into trouble without themselves realizing (slacking off or working too much, being in a harmful relationship, consuming too much addictive substances, buying stuff he couldn't afford yet and running into heavy debt, etc) I will always say something, and often be the only person within our circle to say something (remember, I come from a conservative Asian society who will often just prefer to look the other way and pretend didn't see anything). I will try to be polite and soften the blow (for it to be more palatable and thus higher likelihood to not be taken the wrong way and therefore considered), but I will still say it like it is. Why I think it's harmful, why they shouldn't continue with the habit, how he/she can try to change or improve his/herself, and how I can help. Even then and despite my best efforts, people will still get offended sometimes.

As someone also female, in science and from a conservative east Asian background (who lived alone in a Western country for most of my adult life), I get a lot of what you're saying. Only you can judge what is going on internally and your own type, but I mistyped as INXP before because of expectations that I was projecting on to myself, and was stuck in Ni/Fi for a long time too. My Fi is also exceptionally strong, and plays a large role in my life - but it was only after I gained self-confidence and experienced more stuff that one day it all "clicked" and I recognised myself as an INTJ. A lot of this is cultural because being INTJ/female completely goes against social expectations - this is especially so in Asia. Sometimes you end up confusing the game for the internal experience, and sometimes the outside and how others see you gets projected inwards.

Why INFPs, INTPs, INFJs, & INTJs Struggle to Act

I just came across this, you might find it helpful.

Yes! Last night I also hypothesized that the reason for my strangely weak Te and stronger Fi if I were an INTJ was that I (1) come from a conservative, religious, Asian society (coincidentally also one where F is much valued in daily life over T); (2) am a woman (even more pressure to develop that F); and (3) am married to an ENFP (he has a strong Fi and is a very flexible and open-ended person, which I love but can drive me absolutely nuts at times. On top of that, ENFPs have the same functions as INFPs, only in different order. In order to communicate with him effectively I have to be relatable to him which makes me end up mimicking some of his functions but also getting myself confused along the way). Thanks for bringing that up, it's nice to know that someone has been in the same boat with you ;) Can you share the process how you finally managed to exit the Fi-Ni loop, if you don't mind?

Also thanks for the article. In this case I find myself aligning to the INJ description better. I am a perfectionist, and yes I do get frustrated when I cannot translate my ideas into the real world, be it writing a paper or starting a project. If I know the finished product wouldn't live up to my ideals I get disappointed and lose interest and end up procrastinating. I've been seeing a counselor to address this issue though, and now I think I've learned to be a bit more realistic in setting my standards.

Does anyone else want to chip in on the issue? Open to hearing more thoughts!