• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

help me type my father (IxTx) for a better relationship

poppy58

I’m trying to type my father and I need some subjective perspective on him. I’d like to understand him better to have a closer relationship with him. Sorry if my description of him seems negative, he’s a thinker and I’m a feeler, so my description of him is biased.

He’s a great memory for data, like dates, names, history, favorite quotes. But he can’t find his shirt or the butter in the fridge….

He doesn’t care for interpersonal interaction. He can be charming with strangers, but he doesn’t take much interest in his family.

He’s really good at explaining physics, math, science. If he doesn’t know the answer, he counts/draws/thinks until he figures it out. Like if he didn’t remember how to count the surface of a triangle, he would figure it out with a paper and pen, based on what he remembers from geometry class. (Sorry for the messy explanation, I don’t know math terms in English)
He remembers the interesting articles he reads, he can summarize them very well. He values intelligence and gets annoyed when people don’t understand his explanation.

He’s un-convinceble. There’s no logical or any kind of reasoning that would sway his opinion once he made up his mind.
He trusts some opinions for no logical reason but dismisses others without a second thought. Maybe he trusts those people/random web pages….. Or he accepts them, because they fit his narrative…..

He’s good with mechanical stuff, building, fixing, crafting. He’s a good handyman.
He used to do arts and crafts as a kid (engraving cooper/wood, model ships). He also drew paper dolls for me when I was a kid. 

He likes philosophy and ethics. He reads philosophical books. He seems to have this deep inner world, he doesn’t share. (Sometimes he quotes it or talks to my sister about it.)
I don’t understand how he can be so sensitive to thoughts, how he can think about right and wrong, ideals, but on the surface he can seem so insensitive to feelings and seem selfish sometimes …. He’s about doing the right thing morally, and gets upset when others don’t do it. There’s no gray, it’s either black or with, actions can’t be justified on an emotional base. He can be inconsiderate.

He likes hiking, biking, walking. He likes them for the achievement element.

He doesn’t put himself in others shoes.
He is a bit hypochondriac.

IndigoViolet11

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sometimes hidden behind thoughts are buried feelings that made him the person you describe him as. I think it's more of a feeling inside him he doesn't want to violate, so he is very stubborn and much less mature in dealing with them. Check Introverted Feelings. (Fi), Extraverted Feelings (Fe). I think it is the extraverted environment that he does not want to deal with. Not about facts alone mainly, as he will take it mostly anyways, but more of what feeling those external facts gave him (Fe), and then describe it rationally away in order to not to get hurt.

Personality Junkie about Fe
Personality Junkie about Fi
Inferior function for each personality

And man, your dad's personality and behavior mirrors mine exactly. If any appliances are broken he got various tools at his place to fix them, and he got knowledge in those areas too enough to even setup his own home.

I am pretty sure from the above that your dad is an ISTJ.

One more source of an very simplified version of each mbti letter.
How the Jungnian system works

Annaifiwas

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
IxTx with what I would assume Ni and Se... INTJ or ISTP. However, Si appears to be strong in him, so I wouldn't exclude ISTJ.
I don't think INTP though.
From what you described, Fe is unlikely, so Fi... I'm compelled to say IxTJ. S/N is harder.

Which one fits the best?

1) As a dominant function, Ni manifests as a keen perception for the meaningful connections that exist between the thoughts, concepts, events and occurrences in the Ni-user’s environment.
The dominant-Ni monologue: “Everything is interconnected and I must determine the meaning and implication behind those connections.”

2) As a dominant function, Si manifests as a powerful memory for what has worked well in the past, and the desire to structure one’s life around the traditions and positive outcomes of past experiences.
The dominant-Si monologue:“I prefer to plan the majority of my life around the traditional or tried-and-true methods of doing things, as they have proven to be the most reliable.”

poppy58

I think Fi is more probable than Fe, because he can be a racist sometimes. Just goes on and on and doesn't care about logic or facts (he does this when he's angry or has a plan/idea).
We went hiking this weekend. He did the same hike 8 years ago, and he talked about it the whole time. He told stories, remembered the places and the details. Is this Si?
He's usually quite passive/laid back, my mom has to beg him to do stuff around the house and when he finally does it he's complaining the whole time. But when it's time to go hiking (or something he likes) he has his plan and nothing can change it.