• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Read this or die

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(Okay, the truth is... I was basically told I type for shit.)
I'm surprised, because at one point pretty much everyone was telling me 3w2 and I barely heard w4 :shrug:

applejack?
Nah. I don't think I'm an Applejack because [10 page essay on why I don't relate to a particular cartoon pony]

OK, this is Fe devaluing. An Fe type, especially a type with Fe in the super id block (tertiary/inferior), would eat up such a chipper environment. It would make them chipper, generally. An Fe tertiary type would even be consciously aware of this effect.

I do agree with typology is typology. ;)
Even those words made me want to throw up on first read

But to answer your other questions:
So what are some of your hobbies? What do you do for fun? Do you like swearing? Profanity is one of my hobbies. I also play the guitar sometimes. I'm starting vocal lessons in a month. I sing in a choir also. I'm not that good. But other people think I'm good :)
Swearing is cool. Along with swearing I also like guitar and vocals. Sometimes I swear into the mic over badass guitar solos. Also, boxing. If anyone tells you that you're not good, I will punch them.

I also read. Do you read? I read sometimes. I also read online sometimes.
Reading is cool. When I'm busy or want to multitask I throw on a good audiobook or podcast. Mostly nonfiction, but pretty much every kind of nonfiction there is.

Do you like cats? I like cats. I also like dogs. I want to get both later. Get both a cat and a dog and raise them together from childhood. So they get along and are friends. Otherwise they will fight.
I have a cat and two dogs. I do like dogs, but I'm more of a cat person because dogs are too high-maintenance. The dogs were raised together, separate from the cat. The cat pretty much treats them like roommates and vice versa. I've heard many a horror story about cats + dogs though..

Do you live in a house or an apartment or like a camper/RV thing? I live in a house. I bought a house last summer. It will be one year almost already this summer.
House. I want to live on the road when I retire, though.

What's your least favorite logical fallacy? The one that irritates you the most?
False dilemma. Sometimes, some excellent answers or approaches don't even get the chance to be considered simply because nobody thought about them.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would go with some sort of Fe/Ti type with 3w4. I relate to a lot of what you post in regards to your explanations of motivations and reactions to things, albeit you are a bit more detached than I am and probably older.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry for being late to the party. The Ti dilemma is real. Inferior Ti sounds wrong. It isn't. Inferior Ti doesn't mean it is nonexistent or weak. It means Ti is in service of Fe.

Fe is the search for understanding and meaning, how everything fits together.

The ENTP vs ENFJ vibe is just a bit off. ENTPs seem to care more about their "truths" than the meaning of those truths.

For ex.: my ENTP brother saw my parents were miserable in their marriage. And they were. So, his truth was that they should be divorced, and so really worked on my mom until they got divorced.

Of course, they have been miserable apart now for 25 years, as their misery had less to do with their marriage than with personal issues that they still have never addressed. So, his efforts to convince my mom to break up the marriage didn't solve the problem (parents being miserable) and broke up the family, hurting everyone involved.

ENFJs are much more Big Picture oriented, while ENTPs are much more immediate issue oriented.

Having read your posts for 10 months, I could see you as a ENFJ. You vibe more ENFJ.......

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's probably in and of itself telling that I value that connection. :cheers:

Bit of a manic few days, sorry it's taken me a while both to process what you said and also to find time to get back here to reply to you. I hadn't forgotten.

Yes, I'm learning to value connection as well. Time was I'd run a mile the moment I sensed any connection at all. :(

Hm. Not really seeing it. hah

Oh well. If you don't think you write concisely and with pinpoint accuracy, maybe you need to count how many words you just used to convey puzzlement, explanation for your puzzlement and a sarky joke, just now. Feelings conveyed via words. Duh.

But seriously, I am a fan of using that method

I figure -- if you stare at a short can of soup from either the top or the side, but not both, you're going to insist that you're looking at either a sphere or a cube. The rectanglists and the sphereists think that the other camp is full of total dipshits; though in reality, everyone involved is dealing with a 2D projection of a 3D thing. So it's best to move around once in a while if you're going to analyze or explain something.

You're not the first person to remark on this. CS Lewis uses it in his Essay in a Toolshed, and it's the opening chapter of Seven habits of Highly Effective People, to list just a couple. Yep. Ni shifts viewpoint to get a fresh look. Exactly like mentally rotating a concept. Good stuff. :)

It's true. I don't feel any sort of strong internal kernel, and I don't feel bothered by it. My view is that many things are much more situational and relative than we think, including identity; and that identity is a useful construct and nothing more, etc etc. -- so, a standpoint with an Fe flavor.

I do think context and situation are important, but also, that's ME in that situation or context, and I value my integrity, in *any* context. See the difference?

That said, I do totally subscribe to the idea that the ego grabs onto a personality trait or behaviour and desires validation through it, or however the Enneagram puts that idea. Maitri explains the idea well in her enneagram book.

Or.. well, "not-Fi, and so Fe by elimination" flavor.

I'm not sure, you know. I think you're not as hollow as you choose to make out, so hence some handle on Fi, but maybe weakly, hence ENTJ...and maybe you've had a job with the kind of training which enhances Fe types of behaviours, which you've just sponged up and incorporated because they are useful, and easier than sitting with your internal processors to figure out what you actually feel, value and are, so to speak. That's my take on this...to be honest I'm more feeling that out along the connection route than analysing it by Te. More like 'Ni-Fi assures me that...' than anything more rational.

Oh, totally. If you want someone to perform for you, you'd damn well better accommodate them; otherwise, you can't expect a display in the first place, and even if you do get one it probably wouldn't be honest.

Really, if you actually want ideas to be heard in general, you need to create a space where they can be laid out. If you're in a meeting with a bunch of obnoxious loudmouths and some quiet but smart folks, you'd damn well make sure those quiet folks have some bandwidth. It might take breaking up a conversation and then asking those quiet folks pointed questions, also ensuring everyone else shuts the hell up for a few seconds. If you don't do that, you're (a) unwittingly measuring the value of ideas by how (or whether) they're conveyed, (b) throwing bias into the whole thing, and (c) doing those quiet but smart folks a disservice as actual human beings.

Understanding people takes an actual understanding of people. When I say "screw the emotional environment," I also mean "screw trying to force people out of their domain (e.g. a shell) and into yours."

Well, on the face of it that all sounds very Fe, but my well nuanced nose isn't buying it. Dunno why. But there's something there saying to me that you're lonely...and that's quite a loud nuance across what you wrote. Maybe all your learned ways of getting people to like you aren't what you actually need...again, that would fit with Fi in fourth place and Te rushing around in the top spot doing everything for everyone else to make them happy. Do you listen much to *yourself*?

Two things:
To rephrase: rather, Fi would be more likely than Fe to have the interpersonal relationship (even if just as a concept) flavoring their thoughts and decisions.
(Though, right there we were talking about Socionics's take on Fi, which is much more focused on the interpersonal than MBTI's.)

:shrug: I do have plenty of struggle with identity, the self, my own potential, my role, etc. (hi 3w4), for sure. But that a completely confident mapping of psyche to type assumes an immalleable object and a firm caliper -- neither of which we have.

Oh yeah, look, and I didn't read ahead. Sounds more 4w3 to me, but whatever. I really like the calliper and object mapping. Very much how I'd describe it. But the way I liken it, is that in person to person interaction, I can measure what went out from me and what I received from you along the connection wires, in whatever form, and assuming that you received and gave out the corresponding items (I refer you to those electron-photon interactions which conserve energy) I can get a fleeting momentary measurement on you by comparison with myself. Downside for this introvert is that I can't get that without giving you the corresponding information about myself...and that's the beauty of conversation, isn't it?

That doesn't mean that the whole exercise is worthless, but it's also not something to get myself worked up about. "Intuition + Ti/Fe axis" has enough explanatory power; the rest is just gravy.

As long as it fits you close enough to be of some use. Seems like you fight against it and I'm curious as to why.

I'm also fairly happy about the idea that it's possible for folk to be able to access types similar to their own base type, for short times or specific purposes, say...

Totally. I just find it pretty goddamned hilarious that many of the quotes picked to demonstrate ENTP-ness are about debate and being right and digging up errors and making someone else look like a bitch. That is definitely an ENTP thing that, regardless of type, makes me go :ack!: (to borrow a word or two from [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]).

I like ENTPs but they feel differently from how you are.

"To hold a pen is to be at war" indeed. :bored:

Yeah, let's look to find out how the milk got into the coconut. :rly???:

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bit of a manic few days, sorry it's taken me a while both to process what you said and also to find time to get back here to reply to you. I hadn't forgotten.
Same, really.

Oh well. If you don't think you write concisely and with pinpoint accuracy, maybe you need to count how many words you just used to convey puzzlement, explanation for your puzzlement and a sarky joke, just now. Feelings conveyed via words. Duh.
Oh, that was a joke :)

I do think context and situation are important, but also, that's ME in that situation or context, and I value my integrity, in *any* context. See the difference?
That's a very good point. I can understand where one might have some sort of solid "rock" that's placed into every situation or context.

So mine's less 'rock' and more 'Silly Putty.' Or maybe mud. ..or maybe salt water.

More stuff later; I wanted to give this the sort of attention it deserved.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Same, really.

Oh, that was a joke :)

That's a very good point. I can understand where one might have some sort of solid "rock" that's placed into every situation or context.

So mine's less 'rock' and more 'Silly Putty.' Or maybe mud. ..or maybe salt water.

More stuff later; I wanted to give this the sort of attention it deserved.

Yes, I very much view emotions as something which flows, and logic as something akin to a channel which the emotions can flow along or within, as in emotions being guided by intelligence.

Silly Putty...

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shit. God damn it, shit. I kept forgetting and when I remembered I couldn't take the time. I have to admit that a large part of it is that some of the discussions in this thread had stumped me, as if they were zen koans or something.
Fe is the search for understanding and meaning, how everything fits together.

The ENTP vs ENFJ vibe is just a bit off. ENTPs seem to care more about their "truths" than the meaning of those truths.
Among other things, I'll say that I'm somewhat of a slave to the facts. Give me new ones, and I might change my mind -- especially on stupid minor issues. But wisdom requires a good sense of the truth and good discretion about its real-world context and about thoughtful application.

Applying wrong truths, or applying truths wrongly, can lead to bad news. Not so bad when you can seize a second chance and rectify the whole shebang, but sometimes the damage is irreparable. So I almost always give the benefit of the doubt to people. But I've had to learn that (a) some people have to deal with their own stuff without me stepping in, (a.2) they're not necessarily my responsibility, and (b) making too many false assumptions and accusations -- and especially acting upon them -- is a surefire way to break trust and rapport.

And your brother.. :dont:
I'm not sure, you know. I think you're not as hollow as you choose to make out, so hence some handle on Fi, but maybe weakly, hence ENTJ...and maybe you've had a job with the kind of training which enhances Fe types of behaviours, which you've just sponged up and incorporated because they are useful, and easier than sitting with your internal processors to figure out what you actually feel, value and are, so to speak.
In Socionics, Fe is the "role" function of the ENTj. They can step into that "role" for a short period of time if they need to, but they ultimately recognize their relative weakness with it and are very much compelled to return right back to good ol' dominant. That role is indeed a thing that feel they ought to learn, on account of feeling a constant reminder that it's important. Not that the systems and their function-attitudes are one-to-one or that they even have merit, but that is a way to connect the dots.

Well, on the face of it that all sounds very Fe, but my well nuanced nose isn't buying it. Dunno why.
I don't have many strong convictions -- I'm very easygoing and 'c'est la vie', but one of my strongest convictions involves fighting for the underdog. The person who's getting bullied, who doesn't get a chance to speak up, who's anxious about trying to seize an opportunity to speak up, who has all sorts of disadvantages, who is afraid of "coming out" in some form or fashion. Hence my pretty strong "Really, if you actually want ideas to be heard in general," paragraph. Because fuck you, people who don't do that.

I don't have much in the way of close confidants, but I'm not exactly lonely. It's more of a feeling of --

xTIYxou.jpg

-- as in, sometimes, there are things going on around me, but I can't force myself to connect with the vibes. When it's not engaging to me, I'm either making a game of it all or directing my attention elsewhere. Like on some train of thought, the signs and tells in the environment around me ("that sign is pink because --"), a kitten outside the window, or a juicy burger.

During my first and last visit to a strip club with some friends of mine, I couldn't force myself to take any of it seriously. I just found myself, for example, amused by how strippers tried their damndest to look sexy while they were sanitizing their poles for the next one. I'm by no means asexual but jesus fucking christ, you know? It all required a "suspension of disbelief," which didn't kick in.

more later again

Last edited:

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shit. God damn it, shit. I did it again. "more later" my ass.
Well, on the face of it that all sounds very Fe, but my well nuanced nose isn't buying it. Dunno why. But there's something there saying to me that you're lonely...and that's quite a loud nuance across what you wrote. Maybe all your learned ways of getting people to like you aren't what you actually need...again, that would fit with Fi in fourth place and Te rushing around in the top spot doing everything for everyone else to make them happy. Do you listen much to *yourself*?
So here's a long boring story with a point buried somewhere within it.

The narrative so far -- or at least my current interpretation of it -- is that I grew up people-pleasing and doing the standard Three stuff as a way to grab attention and favor. Not that I was an attention whore, but that that was the only way to get any attention at all, on account of it pretty much always being directed elsewhere. Everyone thought that it was charming that kid-me was able to remember the birthdays of everyone in my extended family. It turns out that that's just a very common coping mechanism.

So I also grew up fighting for the underdog. Standing up to others' bullies. Feeling like someone has to be there for any given Person x -- I had at least a few Pygmalion projects -- and shouldering that responsibility myself. I may have been in a cocoon somewhat for quite a while, but people by and large seemed astonished at what emerged from it. And I'd made it that far in life by focusing on everyone else and not drawing boatloads of attention to myself, so why would I switch gears? What I thought was largely immaterial. And of course that attitude could only go so far. Burning a candle at like five different ends causes major burnouts on many fronts. You learn to look out for #1. Someone else can be that (literal) convicted killer's friend, someone else can tiptoe on eggshells around the alcoholics and drama queens; it's not up to me to take on those roles anymore.

Anyway, I'm well past that. I'm much more willing to "lay down the law" so to speak. I know what I think and I use that as my guide. I consider many other possibilities, for sure, but I either try to reconcile them or "try them on." You know, to "walk in the shoes" of someone who holds some given perspective. I'm also very much open to new evidence, but also sometimes to a fault. I can modify that "what I think" and redirect my guide. In the end I can act on something and then course-correct from there if needed. That is, I may as well head down some path or another -- especially if nobody else around me is bothering to do so.

I'm still definitely a sympathetic underdog-fighter-for-er. And I try for fairness and hate to see unfairness. Suppose I'm teaching a course. Although I'll give students a shitload of help, and though I want to make sure most everyone gets what they need to get out of the course, I had to learn over time that (a) some aspects should not be my responsibility, such as making sure that they meet deadlines, and that (b) I'm free to say "tough titties" if they miss a deadline because in the end it's my class and I trust that I know what I'm doing. That, and making sure that stuff is relevant. Multiple-choice questions? Memorizing definitions? Complete bullshit. Irrelevant to the course. Doesn't do what it's supposed to do -- test your understanding and comprehension. Talk to me about applications and implications instead, as that's the stuff that actually matters to me and to everyone else and to the whole goddamn world.

tl;dr: That's all a bunch of words that mean "I do, but it was and still is a process."

I really like the calliper and object mapping. Very much how I'd describe it. But the way I liken it, is that in person to person interaction, I can measure what went out from me and what I received from you along the connection wires, in whatever form, and assuming that you received and gave out the corresponding items (I refer you to those electron-photon interactions which conserve energy) I can get a fleeting momentary measurement on you by comparison with myself. Downside for this introvert is that I can't get that without giving you the corresponding information about myself...and that's the beauty of conversation, isn't it?
I hear that. Precision or no, we can gather at least some data to feed general ideas.. so, you know, may as well try.

As long as it fits you close enough to be of some use. Seems like you fight against it and I'm curious as to why.
No idea. There's a push/pull there, for sure.

I also hope that some of my snark is clear to anyone reading, like my cursing above isn't out of frustration and that I'm not self-depreciating when I mention that there's a boring story coming up

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shit. God damn it, shit. I did it again. "more later" my ass.So here's a long boring story with a point buried somewhere within it.

The narrative so far -- or at least my current interpretation of it -- is that I grew up people-pleasing and doing the standard Three stuff as a way to grab attention and favor. Not that I was an attention whore, but that that was the only way to get any attention at all, on account of it pretty much always being directed elsewhere. Everyone thought that it was charming that kid-me was able to remember the birthdays of everyone in my extended family. It turns out that that's just a very common coping mechanism.

So I also grew up fighting for the underdog. Standing up to others' bullies. Feeling like someone has to be there for any given Person x -- I had at least a few Pygmalion projects -- and shouldering that responsibility myself. I may have been in a cocoon somewhat for quite a while, but people by and large seemed astonished at what emerged from it. And I'd made it that far in life by focusing on everyone else and not drawing boatloads of attention to myself, so why would I switch gears? What I thought was largely immaterial. And of course that attitude could only go so far. Burning a candle at like five different ends causes major burnouts on many fronts. You learn to look out for #1. Someone else can be that (literal) convicted killer's friend, someone else can tiptoe on eggshells around the alcoholics and drama queens; it's not up to me to take on those roles anymore.

Anyway, I'm well past that. I'm much more willing to "lay down the law" so to speak. I know what I think and I use that as my guide. I consider many other possibilities, for sure, but I either try to reconcile them or "try them on." You know, to "walk in the shoes" of someone who holds some given perspective. I'm also very much open to new evidence, but also sometimes to a fault. I can modify that "what I think" and redirect my guide. In the end I can act on something and then course-correct from there if needed. That is, I may as well head down some path or another -- especially if nobody else around me is bothering to do so.

I'm still definitely a sympathetic underdog-fighter-for-er. And I try for fairness and hate to see unfairness. Suppose I'm teaching a course. Although I'll give students a shitload of help, and though I want to make sure most everyone gets what they need to get out of the course, I had to learn over time that (a) some aspects should not be my responsibility, such as making sure that they meet deadlines, and that (b) I'm free to say "tough titties" if they miss a deadline because in the end it's my class and I trust that I know what I'm doing. That, and making sure that stuff is relevant. Multiple-choice questions? Memorizing definitions? Complete bullshit. Irrelevant to the course. Doesn't do what it's supposed to do -- test your understanding and comprehension. Talk to me about applications and implications instead, as that's the stuff that actually matters to me and to everyone else and to the whole goddamn world.

tl;dr: That's all a bunch of words that mean "I do, but it was and still is a process."

I hear that. Precision or no, we can gather at least some data to feed general ideas.. so, you know, may as well try.

No idea. There's a push/pull there, for sure.

I also hope that some of my snark is clear to anyone reading, like my cursing above isn't out of frustration and that I'm not self-depreciating when I mention that there's a boring story coming up

Yeah, took me a while to reply to you, too, but thanks for sharing your story. It reeks of Fi I suppose, and now it all makes a lot more coherent sense...yeah. Fighting against the expectations of the context in which you were raised...yep. I get that. And that kind of thing does take guts but it can also take it out of you, be exhausting. Hmmm. I'll have a chew on it and come back if anything new strikes me. But I can see how a push-pull situation could form, yeah, if you felt connected to others but only at the price of your own comfort...

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am just excited that you decided to join the 359 club! :D I could always relate to your posts from a distance... with a dash of Fe. :)