• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What You Wish You Were Like..Or?

SweetFantasea

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes I wonder whether people take tests or decide their types on functions based on a false sense of self or defense mechanisms.. and whether it still would count if you didn't have those same defense mechanisms. For instance, if someone says they are a T personality type because they don't make immediate decisions based on their emotion but it turned out that they only did that because they were scared of their emotions vs thinking that it would be irrational to make a decision based on their emotions, are they TRULY a 'T' personality type or just a sensitive coward hiding behind a T personality type?

A lot of people take these tests and don't even look at the functions. ( I was guilty of this at first, which is why I kept getting all types of difference outcomes after a while. Ridiculous, I know.) I think some people take these tests with what they wish they were like instead of being honest about who they truly are, whether it's intentional or not. If someone is not able to detach from themselves to observe their behaviors in public or are not that introspective, how do they know what they are truly like? How can they get an honest answer from a test or anything if they don't even know themselves?

When I first took the test without recognizing the functions, I got ENFP. Then I started getting ENTP... Then I started getting INTP and INFP. I also at once got INFJ. Self reflecting is the thing that brought this discussion about. So, I'm not talking about anything I have not done myself or any place I have not been myself.

I used to think I was an INFP because I thought I was introverted and got drained by people until I noticed how I interacted in public and felt afterwards. I get energized by talking to people offline but online, I get more drained because I'm too lazy to type BACK at times...but this is a false view of 'being drained' the way the personality tests and types use it. I'm not drained by the people, I'm drained by the typing.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes I wonder whether people take tests or decide their types on functions based on a false sense of self or defense mechanisms.. and whether it still would count if you didn't have those same defense mechanisms. For instance, if someone says they are a T personality type because they don't make immediate decisions based on their emotion but it turned out that they only did that because they were scared of their emotions vs thinking that it would be irrational to make a decision based on their emotions, are they TRULY a 'T' personality type or just a sensitive coward hiding behind a T personality type?
That sounds more ennegram 5 than thinker, but yes, thinkers can feel and by definition they hide their emotions.

A lot of people take these tests and don't even look at the functions. ( I was guilty of this at first, which is why I kept getting all types of difference outcomes after a while. Ridiculous, I know.) I think some people take these tests with what they wish they were like instead of being honest about who they truly are, whether it's intentional or not. If someone is not able to detach from themselves to observe their behaviors in public or are not that introspective, how do they know what they are truly like? How can they get an honest answer from a test or anything if they don't even know themselves?
I'm guilty of that too, but really who comes into MBTI knowing cognitive functions? The best way to type someone is to observe them from an outsiders perspective and analyze their behaviors, if the person isn't even vaguely introspective you can easily tell that they lead with an extroverted function. You simply can't get an honest answer without some introspection.

I know someone who tested the same personality type as me and I swear, she uses Fe and Ni like no other person. She also doesn't fit the bill for ENFP at all but more like ENFJ. It gets a little frustrating when I see this person typing things about ENFP because first of all, she is an insecure and jealous bully and second of all, she doesn't hit me like an ENFP but rather a self-deluded ENFJ. She has copied me in the past (for years actually) and did nothing but talk about me and attach everything I said, even if it had nothing to do with her, back to herself. (Which hits me like Fe gone terrible wrong.) I give her and others the benefit of the doubt because I don't like to assume and I have no issues with admitting I'm wrong but I wonder if a lot of people come to the conclusion based on a self they wish they were like.
So what they tested the same as you? If she isn't an ENFP, she isn't an ENFP. Simple as that. Most people who take the tests and get results that satisfy them are those who can see themselves in the descriptions, or at least, who they wish to be. The first people tend to be somewhat healthy and self-aware, the latter not so much. The former issue has prompted me to reconsider my typing A LOT. I kept on getting INxP, but I was afraid that that it was only who I wanted to be. I've considered practically every introverted type at this point, I still don't feel definite.

When I first took the test without recognizing the functions, I got ENFP. Then I started getting ENTP because I would be in troll mode. Then I started getting INTP and INFP. I also at once got INFJ. Self reflecting is the thing that brought this discussion about. So, I'm not talking about anything I have not done myself or any place I have not been myself.

I used to think I was an INFP because I thought I was introverted and got drained by people until I noticed how I interacted in public and felt afterwards. I get energized by talking to people offline but online, I get more drained because I'm too lazy to type at times...but this is a false view of 'being drained' the way the personality tests and types use it. I'm not drained by the people, I'm drained by the typing.

I've had the same issue.

SweetFantasea

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I edited my post because the portion where I said the girl tested the same as me was in the wrong forum so please skip over that portion of my post..but great insight. :)