• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

y'all're killing me

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's ok. It's brought me to understand why you act like other types for fun. I guess Ni Dom types take ideas as reality hence why mostly INFJ's are really passionate about mbti.

I like learning about it and trying to understand it but yeah, to me it's more of a hobby than something I take super seriously. I'm really sorry if that's bothered you. :( I don't mean to offend anyone.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well understanding what are your limitations with like the inferior function. Like an INFP wanting to be a principal or a CEO is generally going to be more stressed than an EXTJ would. But it's important that we still do things that help us relax using our inferior functions.

It gets more complex but by understanding what we're weak at, we don't get angry at ourselves and see the bigger picture that we have something else better for us and we'll enjoy even more.

Everyone has their choice of course but I think if we live our lives by what we do the best we'll be the happiest and most productive in life.

I like to use inferior Ne as relief/a way to play and chill out when I'm stressed. :D

Though I guess knowing about MBTI has helped with my self-awareness to an extent? I think I would be best at people-oriented jobs and that seems to line up well with ISFJ.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like learning about it and trying to understand it but yeah, to me it's more of a hobby than something I take super seriously. I'm really sorry if that's bothered you. :( I don't mean to offend anyone.

No you're not alone in it for sure. Some members are baffled why I take a silly system as MBTI so seriously. I think even by a poll, some only take the system with a half-ass care in some thread I don't remember.

I don't think everything about MBTI is word for word, as there is no objective and factual way we keep getting descriptions about cognitive functions, but maybe it's also a Ti thing who I value theory more than the facts sometimes as well. When I read about the scientific method I fall asleep, like books ridden with Te like a textbook Quantitative Chemical Analysis make me fall asleep, in fact my brain has a very difficult time registering like it's asking me "wtf do I need to know about procedures and exactness, this ain't my thing". I'm like listen you stupid brain, I need to know this so I can do well in the course and get grades for something I really want to do. Brain is like "no" then an existential crisis proceeds.

I like to use inferior Ne as relief/a way to play and chill out when I'm stressed. :D

Though I guess knowing about MBTI has helped with my self-awareness to an extent? I think I would be best at people-oriented jobs and that seems to line up well with ISFJ.

Yeah, and it doesn't mean you have to do those kind of jobs but it's a good vantage point to know.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Well, I see understanding our strengths and weaknesses and how we can properly use each one through understanding is the whole point right?

I think it was the original intention, but you have to realize that the system is imperfect.

Refer to what I said to DG. Cognitive functions. You understand what you do best, avoid what you're weak at. Understand why you may be having trouble in your life.

Considering I identify with ISTJ yet do not seem to highly identify with many descriptions of Te, cognitive functions are almost entirely useless to me. Though I do like to use them on occasion in typing others (particularly Fe types for some reason).

I hope I am not going to get to the point that I've been typing people for gossip?

If typing was all just to be a category. I don't think I'd even have joined this forum, to even be passionate about typing.

...gossip?? Are you insinuating that I am using MBTI maliciously somehow???

It's a game to me, like trying to guess what type of trees and plants you're looking at while driving down a lonely forest road. Things are more complicated than they seem, though, which is also true for MBTI. Not every red flower is the same species...and many species of plant mimic other species. It's neat to try to figure out exactly what they are and figure out which is the mimic and which isn't.

I don't understand why it has to be an overly serious thing here. Should I take off my hoodie and step into some business casual?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about plants.

/DG/

Yeah, in this way, it explains why I tend to hate most people-oriented jobs (T). It also explains why my favorite classes have been ones where I can see and touch things with my own eyes and hands (S). It also explains why my likely ENFP professor frustrates me to no end. I absolutely love her and other ENFP types I've come across, but when running a class, I find that ENFP types aren't as efficient (for lack of a better word).

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it was the original intention, but you have to realize that the system is imperfect.
It is imperfect, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Considering I identify with ISTJ yet do not seem to highly identify with many descriptions of Te, cognitive functions are almost entirely useless to me. Though I do like to use them on occasion in typing others (particularly Fe types for some reason).

If it doesn't help, don't use it. Although imo I think you do relate to some of the 8 well enough but you're not seeing it, but I am not you. So you don't have to take my word for it.

...gossip?? Are you insinuating that I am using MBTI maliciously somehow???

not necessarily. I mean it's just small talk for you I guess?

It's a game to me, like trying to guess what type of trees and plants you're looking at while driving down a lonely forest road. Things are more complicated than they seem, though, which is also true for MBTI. Not every red flower is the same species...and many species of plant mimic other species. It's neat to try to figure out exactly what they are and figure out which is the mimic and which isn't.

So a thinking game? I would rather do something else if it really had no meaning.

I don't understand why it has to be an overly serious thing here. Should I take off my hoodie and step into some business casual?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about plants.

No, not at all. Just be yourself.

/DG/

If it doesn't help, don't use it. Although imo I think you do relate to some of the 8 well enough but you're not seeing it, but I am not you. So you don't have to take my word for it.

I thought you were speaking of cognitive functions?

not necessarily. I mean it's just small talk for you I guess?

The word "gossip" brings to mind people shit talking about others behind their backs if you are wondering where my comment came from...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought you were speaking of cognitive functions?

The word "gossip" brings to mind people shit talking about others behind their backs if you are wondering where my comment came from...

Doesn't 8 represent jcf?

gos·sip
/ˈɡäsəp/
noun
casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.
"he became the subject of much local gossip"
synonyms: rumor(s), tittle-tattle, whispers, canards, tidbits; More

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is what MBTI/JCF should NOT be:

This sickens me.

10525374_1041146915959952_4394952159951497785_n.jpg

^^^^
THAT is mental illness folks. Narcissism. Grandeur delusions.

/DG/

Doesn't 8 represent jcf?

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following what you mean here. Are you talking about enneagram 8 being like the embodiment of Te?

gos·sip
/ˈɡäsəp/
noun
casual or unconstrained conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true.
"he became the subject of much local gossip"
synonyms: rumor(s), tittle-tattle, whispers, canards, tidbits; More

I'm not really seeing how this contrasts what I'm talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what MBTI/JCF should NOT be:

This sickens me.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/10525374_1041146915959952_4394952159951497785_n.jpg?oh=2851fbd96594182581229d4180ca349e&oe=577F37C5[img]

^^^^
THAT is mental illness folks. Narcissism. Grandeur delusions.[/QUOTE]

And no one here is saying that that is what it is...

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's probably rude to post in here without mentioning the OP's type. Sorry OP. I think you're probably accurately typed, but I have to admit I only read the first questionnaire.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following what you mean here. Are you talking about enneagram 8 being like the embodiment of Te?

I'm not really seeing how this contrasts what I'm talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

And no one here is saying that that is what it is...

No there are 8 cognitive functions 1. Ni 2. Ne. 3. Fi 4. Fe. 5. Ti. 6. Te. 7. Si 8. Se

*sigh* You need to remove what you think what gossip means and temporarily hold of what you read the definition as true. The definition says nothing about being bad. If I said DG passed all her exams with A's and I have no proof and you never even told me, it isn't necessarily bad is it? (Well let's not get into consequentialism I'm just using this an example)

No, but I'm also saying MBTI isn't just an excuse to escape into fantasy either, hurting you rather than helping you. Not that you were saying that either.

/DG/

No there are 8 cognitive functions 1. Ni 2. Ne. 3. Fi 4. Fe. 5. Ti. 6. Te. 7. Si 8. Se

Then what do you mean by your statement? "Doesn't 8 represent jcf?"

*sigh* You need to remove what you think what gossip means and temporarily hold of what you read the definition as true. The definition says nothing about being bad. If I said DG passed all her exams with A's and I have no proof and you never even told me, it isn't necessarily bad is it? (Well let's not get into consequentialism I'm just using this an example)

I read the definition, thanks.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then what do you mean by your statement? "Doesn't 8 represent jcf?"

I read the definition, thanks.

there are 8 jungian cognitive functions

/DG/

there are 8 jungian cognitive functions

Oh sorry, I went back to the original comment and I misinterpreted somehow. I saw the phrase "the 8" as "the [enneagram] 8" instead of "the 8 [cognitive functions]."

So I guess I'll say that I do relate to some of the functions, but not to high degrees and not really the ones that I am supposed to use the most.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Er, well, while it's true I don't actively use MBTI as a tool to improve myself, I'm not against using it that way, either. It's just something fun that I like. Like reading or video games or playing with my animals. I don't really see it as a joke, but I don't take it as seriously as, say, doing well in school or something. But it's not that I think that way because I don't think it can/should be taken seriously; it's just that to me, it's a hobby, not a lifeline or something. I don't mind if other people take it more seriously than me, and I don't think it's eyeroll-worthy or a joke either.

Does that make sense??

Like, maybe I'm not actively learning about MBTI to better my life... but it's not like if I found a way to make that work for me, that I wouldn't do it. I'm just not actively/constantly trying to. :shrug:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh sorry, I went back to the original comment and I misinterpreted somehow. I saw the phrase "the 8" as "the [enneagram] 8" instead of "the 8 [cognitive functions]."

So I guess I'll say that I do relate to some of the functions, but not to high degrees and not really the ones that I am supposed to use the most.

Okay well I think everyone has their own way of being helped. By no means does mbti solve all of my problems either. I can see the cognitive functions being expressed in a lot of ways by people so it's nice for me to know. Although being limited by a personality theory is not the way to go either. And the science of psychology has a lot of other aspects of human nature that needs covering as well. And disciplines of sociology and anthropology can explain things about human nature as psychology is only limited to the individual.

And I agree that not everyone who uses mbti agrees with Carl Jung. While he was a believer of the scientific method he went into very mystical thoughts and ideas that really doesn't grab the skeptic.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You are accurately typed.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] so I'm curious about this whole using MBTI for growth thing - I mean I knew people did it, but I never really did, so now I'm curious.

So if I'm accurately typed as an ISFJ, would an example of using MBTI as a tool for growth be like... well how to explain. My hamster died last week, and now I have no pet of my own (just the dogs that are everyone's). And I felt I really needed my own pet that I could love and take care of by myself. Seems kind of Fe to me. So I got a new hamster today (!!! I love her already). So like, is an example of what you're talking about something like "I'm an Fe type and I need something to love and care for so I got a hamster to help make me happier"?

I don't know. I'm trying here.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay so this ended up meandering over the place. I would like to state that I obviously don't know you at all and this is based on forum presence alone. So a large potential for having the wrong end of the stick.

To be honest I've always found the majority assertion that you are ISFJ at best strange. Which is to say that even if you are; you deviate so far from the standard that the model would be mostly useless. A transgender asexual, OCPD, with what looks like some HSP tendencies. On top of which you seem to be severely depressed. What model could possible predict or account for that incredibly rare combination? Do I think you're an ISFJ? Kind of, I mean depression can have so many crossovers to someone claiming ISFJ e9, that its hard to tell what is the real you. Though if I remember your arguments against Fe did make sense. It's the certainty that people seem to have about your type which is strange to me. The cynic in wonders if it isn't tokenism. The friendly ISFJ to be paraded out, the; “I know a cool ISFJ tadaa!”

And lastly since I'm here, I might as well add this:

You actually self type as an SEI........ that is from my experience ultra concerning. It's a description of an Russian agrarian manic pixie dream girl. No one in the Western World should be able to identify with it. It's the equivalent of saying; “I'm absolute crap at everything but the most basic adult homebody behaviour, but that's okay because that's all I want/need.” A part of you should want more then that. A little slice of the soul that wants to stab the sun, punch Putin in the face, down some E and run screaming through the streets of London at 3 in the morning. One of the things people tend to forget about depression is that it isn't just black moods, it shrinks perspective. So you can see why it concerns me, the perspective of an SEI is about as limited as you can get.