• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What am I? Help me decide between INFJ and ENTP

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wall of text.

My Ni says you're a fellow xNFJ. I smell camaraderie.

Edit: I have learned a lot from the xNTP clan and it is announcing itself the older I get. I think your growing Ti has misled you.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Additional feedback, but on a larger scale.

It's interesting that I rarely encounter NTPs mistaking themselves for NFJs. I think that's because socially there is a prejudicial view that NFJs are somehow weak, hyper-emotional, and fragile. And because we are actually strong-willed, independent, critical, and defiant we instinctively resist this association on varying levels. ...I don't think there is a stereotype that causes NTPs to feel shame or a need to affiliate themselves with NFJs, but there is for us --particularly the men. I have come to know several INTJ/ENTJ men (not just from this forum) who later copped to being INFJ/ENFJ.

The stereotype is utter bullshit of course, but persists and many NFJs reluctant to wear the badge are evidence of this unwillingness.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION], this is from another thread, but as it is off-topic there, I thought I'd answer you over here where the subject is more appropriate:

Yea, this sounds like Ne as preferred function, and likely even dominant ego view.
(Don't know why that would make you sad. Was it that the idea of being a Feeling type felt nice or something?)

I'm sad because I deeply, deeply identify with being a compassionate, empathic person. It honestly feels like a dagger to my heart to think of myself as not an empath. I know my rational side very well, but I also know my compassion and it is deep. And in my experience, I do put people first a lot of the times and I have even learnt to keep my views to myself to maintain harmony precisely because people and my need to know that I'm not hurting them or ruining the harmony between us, that's just very important to me.

(It is true that learning to shut up about my views came through hard experience of losses as I used to be incredibly argumentative until a few years ago and still occasionally fall into it before yanking myself back out again, so yes, I do get it that my current adaptability when it comes to the views of others may just be late development rather than preference.) Yet it is true that I have always been empathic about people's suffering and hurt feelings from childhood, I would even put myself in harm's way to protect someone. I really I'm not exaggerating.

It's their views I had little patience for when they were clearly wrong, because I never used to make the connection that rejecting/challenging people's views = hurting people...that sounded ridiculous to me. I loved the people, it's the views I didn't accept. Yet I did feel people's pain deeply. Not psychically, but rather by being affected by the knowledge of their suffering and in fact have had to detach in many ways to keep my heart at peace (like switching off the news, not thinking about hard things I cannot fix, switching jobs where I couldnt help people who were desperately asking for help). It is nearly impossible for me to say no to someone pleading for help if I can help. I think it's very hard for me to be hard-hearted to other people. I can be stubborn and "hard-hearted" about things they say, sure, and will do so regardless of the person's "authority", but the people themselves? No. I'm weirdly known (around those who have known me for years) as both argumentative and generous (also, as very fair)

The accusation that I "love arguing"...is to me, ridiculous! I just point out what isn't true and when people answer unsatisfactorily and I point out why those answers don't answer the issue, then I supposedly "love to argue" :shrug:. Don't get why people expect me to just accept things that don't make sense to me as true??? I accept people. But my views are my own. I guess I feel shame sometimes around this, which I guess comes from being a female who is hard-headed (but NOT hard-hearted, mind you!). But I hate it when people see the argumentativeness but fail to see the compassion...which is femininity! I'm not a good home-keeper (or a traditional girly-girl) for example, but I'm sure I can be a good mother/wife (feminine energy) regardless, just because I'm a good person. It is frustrating to know this about myself but to somehow fail to convince people unless they spend years knowing me up close. I feel like I have to chose between honesty and love sometimes...well, I'm ranting a little, but you get the idea.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION], this is from another thread, but as it is off-topic there, I thought I'd answer you over here where the subject is more appropriate:

I'm sad because I deeply, deeply identify with being a compassionate, empathic person. It honestly feels like a dagger to my heart to think of myself as not an empath. I know my rational side very well, but I also know my compassion and it is deep. And in my experience, I do put people first a lot of the times and I have even learnt to keep my views to myself to maintain harmony precisely because people and my need to know that I'm not hurting them or ruining the harmony between us, that's just very important to me.

(It is true that learning to shut up about my views came through hard experience of losses as I used to be incredibly argumentative until a few years ago and still occasionally fall into it before yanking myself back out again, so yes, I do get it that my current adaptability when it comes to the views of others may just be late development rather than preference.) Yet it is true that I have always been empathic about people's suffering and hurt feelings from childhood, I would even put myself in harm's way to protect someone. I really I'm not exaggerating.

It's their views I had short patience for when they were clearly wrong, because I never used to make the connection between challenging people's views = hurting people...that sounded ridiculous to me. I loved the people, it's the views I didn't accept. Yet I did feel people's pain deeply. Not psychically, but rather by being affected by the knowledge of their suffering and in fact have had to detach in many ways to keep my heart at peace (like switching off the news, not thinking about hard things I cannot fix, switching jobs where I couldnt help people who were desperately asking for help). It is nearly impossible for me to say no to someone pleading for help if I can help. I think it's very hard for me to be hard-hearted to other people. I can be stubborn and "hard-hearted" about things they say, sure, and will do so regardless of the person's "authority", but the people themselves? No. I'm weirdly known (around those who have known me for years) as both argumentative and generous (also, as very fair)

The accusation that I "love arguing"...is to me, ridiculous! I just point out what isn't true and when people answer unsatisfactorily and I point out why those answers don't answer the issue, then I supposedly "love to argue" :shrug:). Don't get why people expect me to just accept things that don't make sense to me as true??? I accept people. My views are my own. I guess I feel shame sometimes around this, which I guess comes from being a female who is hard-headed. But I hate it when people see the argumentativeness and fail to see the compassion, which is femininity!

Eric B pointed out to me his earlier posts/discussions with you on this. I look forward to seeing what you settle on, if ever you do.

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
There is a definite interplay between ESFJ and ENTP types. If you look just at functions, we have

ESFJ - Fe Si Ne Ti
ENTP - Ne Ti Fe Si

See the pattern?

Fe Si (ESFJ) + Ne Ti (ENTP) vs
Ne Ti (ENTP) + Fe Si (ESFJ)

In general, the tertiary and inferior functions come out later in life. There's an ENTP database administrator of my acquaintance that would always bring food to work and offer it to everyone. He always did his utmost to be nice and was nice in a very "motherly" kind of way. He was very ESFJ in this regard. Yet he was totally ENTP, too. I would get into arguments with him that had all the flavor of an ENTP-INTJ argument, the kind of arguments an ESFJ would never get into.

But if you'd like a quick answer, I'd say you're ENTP who is relying more than most young ENTPs on your unconscious ESFJ side to relate to people, probably because you have come to realize that talking to most people in ENTP terms leaves them kind of confused, but if you switch to ESFJ mannerisms, they suddenly become much more cooperative.

Indeed, that's why I have decided (for now!) I am either an ESFJ with ADD or an ENTP with highly developed and conscious Fe. And as usual, thanks for the sage advice.:)

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Sorry that this is out of topic, but what are you going to do with your username after you confirm your mbti type? xD

Ha ha! I thought about this and read around the forum. Discovered that once I reach a certain number of posts I can make a request for change of username. I hadnt planned to stay here for long. I just had been struggling on my own for a while and decided to get input from others. Was going to leave right after...then I didn't!:D

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
My Ni says you're a fellow xNFJ. I smell camaraderie.

Edit: I have learned a lot from the xNTP clan and it is announcing itself the older I get. I think your growing Ti has misled you.

I do feel the cameraderie! But I ended up doubting I use Ni, that's why I stopped going NFJ. So perhaps the cameraderie is around FJ (that is, Fe-Ti) more than NFJ????

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Also, [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION], would you mind clarifying what "dominant ego view" is as opposed to simply preferred function? Is it unhealthy?

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think you might be an ENTP, you've got stubborn inferior Si and chameleon Fe.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's their views I had little patience for when they were clearly wrong, because I never used to make the connection that rejecting/challenging people's views = hurting people...that sounded ridiculous to me. I loved the people, it's the views I didn't accept. Yet I did feel people's pain deeply. Not psychically, but rather by being affected by the knowledge of their suffering and in fact have had to detach in many ways to keep my heart at peace (like switching off the news, not thinking about hard things I cannot fix, switching jobs where I couldnt help people who were desperately asking for help). It is nearly impossible for me to say no to someone pleading for help if I can help. I think it's very hard for me to be hard-hearted to other people. I can be stubborn and "hard-hearted" about things they say, sure, and will do so regardless of the person's "authority", but the people themselves? No. I'm weirdly known (around those who have known me for years) as both argumentative and generous (also, as very fair)

The accusation that I "love arguing"...is to me, ridiculous! I just point out what isn't true and when people answer unsatisfactorily and I point out why those answers don't answer the issue, then I supposedly "love to argue" :shrug:. Don't get why people expect me to just accept things that don't make sense to me as true??? I accept people. But my views are my own. I guess I feel shame sometimes around this, which I guess comes from being a female who is hard-headed (but NOT hard-hearted, mind you!). But I hate it when people see the argumentativeness but fail to see the compassion...which is femininity! I'm not a good home-keeper (or a traditional girly-girl) for example, but I'm sure I can be a good mother/wife (feminine energy) regardless, just because I'm a good person. It is frustrating to know this about myself but to somehow fail to convince people unless they spend years knowing me up close. I feel like I have to chose between honesty and love sometimes...well, I'm ranting a little, but you get the idea.
You can be a compassionate, empathetic person and still be a T. Especially a female ETP, with tertiary Fe!

You definitely sound like an NT. "Wrong", meaning "incorrect" or "false" from the context, is what the T judgment is all about. And this sounds like the preferred standpoint rather than a tertiary or inferior. T's argue for what's impersonally "correct", and it often comes off as cold and argumentative because it takes precedence ove the personal (how things affect our souls or emotions).
When T is preferred, it's pretty confident, and F is what's vulnerable (tertiary or inferior). So you go out toward people with your T, and when it rubs them the wrong way or steps on their toes, then the vulnerable F kicks in, and you dread being called "argumentative" or some other critical term. Ti says "if I were the other person, I would want the truth" (the introverted function projects the individual judgment onto the other person). Then, Fe says "they are expressing being hurt, so I must have done bad to them" (the extraverted function introjects or takes as one's own, the environmental judgment from the other person). So the confident, positive Ti comes first, but then is followed by the negative Fe, and it can be a difficult back and forth.

Also, the Interaction Style being Informing, which is a kind of "people focus", that mixes with the tough "Task focus" of the NT, so you're a bit of both. FJ's and TP's are all mixed like that, where TJ's will be solidly task focused and not care as much, and FP's will be solidly people focused.
Also, [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION], would you mind clarifying what "dominant ego view" is as opposed to simply preferred function? Is it unhealthy?
The functions have been described as "world views", so the dominant is the one the ego tends to see everything though. With dominant Ne, the ego's world view is searching the environment for new patterns (inferences). Dominant Fe, it's establishing in the environment, personal harmony. We have to both perceive and judge, so then of the other rationality of function, one will be what the ego uses to provide attitudinal balance, and this becomes the auxiliary. Both together are "preferred", but the dominant is really what the ego is about.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've thought INFJ since your initial post. It's probably your enneagram that leaves you conflicted with being argumentative while wanting to maintain social harmony. I do not see Ne.

skysickle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
nnn
MBTI can be confusing if you are going to just bundle all 4 criteria together and simply decide on one of the 16 personality, the easiest way for me was to break it down I and E , then N and S, then F and T, and lastly J and P

I/E - Introvert(I)/extrovert(E)
N/S - Experience(S) vs New possibilities/ideas(N)
F/T - Feeling(F) vs Thinking(T)
J/P - Decisiveness(J) vs Perception

I too was confused between all of it before, then I break it down and read up on the four criteria, I was quick to accept that I was introverted, next was defining on the other 3....N/S,F/T,J/P and finally concluded on INFJ but I still had my doubts because of some weird articles claiming that INFJ tend to be psychic and have some kind of sixth sense that creeped me out a little and even felt that I was not really INFJ but everything else about being an INFJ fits like a glove that I decided that I am not going to compare with other MBTI types anymore which will lead me to even more confusion and now I am in that happy place where I finally accepted that I am an INFJ.

So if you feel that you are not psychic enough to be an INFJ, you might still be an INFJ! The way to decide on your personality type by not confusing yourself and digging into all kinds wrong places.

And since you keep getting INFJ as a result of doing some test, I think it is time to just accept it!

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Hello, people. Just wanted to let anyone who might still be reading this know that I'm finally settled on ENTP. I was very religious in my twenties and I think this led me to develop and identify with my Fe greatly. Not just for the development of moral values but because I was trying to be what was conventionally female in my society and hated being seen as argumentative unlike ladies are supposed to be when I never was trying to be so, not consciously. :) I've achieved my current ability to be 'humble' about things I think I'm right about over many, many years. The Ti-Fe battle is a dirty one. Now, who do I talk to about changing my username? :D

Entp/infjGal

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w5
Hello, people. Just wanted to let anyone who might still be reading this know that I'm finally settled on ENTP. I was very religious in my twenties and I think this led me to develop and identify with my Fe greatly. Not just for the development of moral values but because I was trying to be what was conventionally female in my society and hated being seen as argumentative unlike ladies are supposed to be when I never was trying to be so, not consciously. :) I've achieved my current ability to be 'humble' about things I think I'm right about over many, many years. The Ti-Fe battle is a dirty one. Now, who do I talk to about changing my username? :D

Hey! I came back to inform you all, [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] and the rest, that I'm ENFP. It's 100% certain now. Thank you all for your help. It was a roller coaster ride. I've been sure for at least 5 months.