• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I typable?

fn2133

Hello, everyone. :)

I have been studying MBTI for about five years now, and I have had a difficult time finding my type. There are two facts about myself that heavily influence my personality:

1. I am extremely shy; I took a psychological exam recently (for a job), and the psychologist who examined me believes that I may have social anxiety disorder (shyness and social anxiety are not exactly the same, but for me, they seem to fuel each other, so to speak). I find it nearly impossible to go up to people that I do not know and say anything to them, and many social situations make me want to "escape," so to speak (I get very nervous, and I feel a strong desire to withdraw).

2. I am very religious (Roman Catholic). I used to be fairly non-religious/apathetic when I was in high school, but when I was eighteen, I re-converted (I'm 20, and I turn 21 in two weeks). The reason I mention this is because I have become much more comfortable with my emotions since then (this doesn't hold true in social situations though, where my shyness takes over). This would leave me to believe that my corresponding feeling function in MBTI (whatever that may be) has become heavily strengthened in the past couple of years.

The big question here is: do these personality factors put me beyond the realm of typability (ie. does MBTI apply to me?)? If it does not, then what do you think my type might be? Here are some more facts about myself that might be able to help:

- I am very sensitive to other people's feelings. This was somewhat true before I became more religious, but this has seriously kicked into gear since then. The problem I have with this is that, when I feel this empathy, I am often so shy around a person who is upset, for example, that I end up not doing anything about it (this is not as true with people that I am really close to, but it is still true to some extent for them).
- I really love philosophy: I am a philosophy major in college, and I find it fascinating to read about other people's viewpoints and take into consideration how other people (and other cultures) see the world.
- Going off of the previous point, I really like logic because there is a purity to it that exists in nothing else, but I don't find that it takes a very important role in how I deal with people (I am completely unsure if I'm a T or an F type; this is the dichotomy I am least certain about).
- I am lazy, disorganized/messy, and I procrastinate heavily.
- I highly value traditions (particularly ones that emphasize compassion and community).

If you have any more questions about me that would help in typing me (if I can be typed), then feel free to ask.

bradly00

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have read your post on your thread. You say that you get shy when you express empathy. Then you might be a feeler. Any way, I see that you value traditions and that is good. Well I would have to say that you are an ISFP because you get energy from your privacy, get info through your five senses (Sensors, even SP's, love traditions.), You make decisions the your feelings, and you prefer to live a flexible lifestyle. You are therfore 100% an ISFP. I hope this helps to type you accurately.

- - - Updated - - -

I have read your post on your thread. You say that you get shy when you express empathy. Then you might be a feeler. Any way, I see that you value traditions and that is good. Well I would have to say that you are an ISFP because you get energy from your privacy, get info through your five senses (Sensors, even SP's, love traditions.), You make decisions the your feelings, and you prefer to live a flexible lifestyle. You are therefore 100% an ISFP. I hope this helps to type you accurately.

fn2133

I have read your post on your thread. You say that you get shy when you express empathy. Then you might be a feeler. Any way, I see that you value traditions and that is good. Well I would have to say that you are an ISFP because you get energy from your privacy, get info through your five senses (Sensors, even SP's, love traditions.), You make decisions the your feelings, and you prefer to live a flexible lifestyle. You are therfore 100% an ISFP. I hope this helps to type you accurately.

- - - Updated - - -

I have read your post on your thread. You say that you get shy when you express empathy. Then you might be a feeler. Any way, I see that you value traditions and that is good. Well I would have to say that you are an ISFP because you get energy from your privacy, get info through your five senses (Sensors, even SP's, love traditions.), You make decisions the your feelings, and you prefer to live a flexible lifestyle. You are therefore 100% an ISFP. I hope this helps to type you accurately.

Hmmm.... I guess that's possible. The problem I have with ISFP (or any SP, for that matter) is that I am clumsy and absent-minded, which I usually associate with low Se.

Then again, perhaps I misunderstand Se; I'm not completely sure.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESFJ. :) (social anxiety =/= introversion)

Inferior Ti has you in love with philosophy but yet in the service of Fe (other's view points/cultural related even)

or INFP with an Si obsession. :)

Time and time again, the INFP's I meet are the most kind but most devout to their religion. (Obvi not the case everywhere) but it could be a good match for you.

People may not understand why, but there's a BIG reason that I believe INFP's to be the most sensorish out of all the intuitives.

fn2133

ESFJ. :) (social anxiety =/= introversion)

Inferior Ti has you in love with philosophy but yet in the service of Fe (other's view points/cultural related even)

or INFP with an Si obsession. :)

Time and time again, the INFP's I meet are the most kind but most devout to their religion. (Obvi not the case everywhere) but it could be a good match for you.

People may not understand why, but there's a BIG reason that I believe INFP's to be the most sensorish out of all the intuitives.

INFP with strong Si seems to make more sense...

ESFJ is intriguing, though. Could you elaborate on the role of inferior Ti in ESFJs?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first instinct here was INFP. Fi + Si can look and feel very similar to Si dominance.

Fi = personal views/morals and Si = tradition. If an IxFP has traditional views and morals, they can appear sort of ISFJ-ish. You said you like philosophy, which tends to go with N. Plus, I doubt you have Se in your stack if you're clumsy and absent-minded.

Then again, you could be an INTP. A lot of what you wrote sounds like inferior Fe (being too shy to comfort people who are upset even though you want to, liking the idea of community and helping others, etc.) The main issue I'm having typing you is that your original post doesn't really express much Fi or Ti. All I'm seeing is Ne/Si and (probably) tertiary or inferior Fe. Maybe do a questionnaire?

fn2133

OK. I'll do the PerC MBTI Questionnaire, because that seems to be the most relevant.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
INTP seems like the best fit for me in some ways, but I feel like my Fe and Si are way too strong (ie. are too great of an influence on how I think) for a 20-year-old INTP. I suspect that my religiosity has ramped up my Si and Fe prematurely (especially since I'm Catholic, and Catholicism seems to greatly value Si and Fe), but I'm not completely sure.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I imagine my ideal self as someone who is faultlessly compassionate and forgiving; I have met a few people who are like this, and I admire them, more than anybody else I've ever met.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
During one semester of college, I got straight A's (a 4.0 GPA). I felt happy that I had fully applied myself for once, and my parents were proud of me.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
My shyness, mostly.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
It depends on the importance of the decision. With major decisions, I primarily think of what the people in my "community" (whatever that may be at any given point of time) would want me to do, and I try to balance it with what I know would make me happy. With minor decisions, it can vary widely, from personal feelings, to personal consistency, to how any other person in question may feel as a result of my action.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
That depends on what kind of project we're talking about, and what it warrants as a result. I don't have the administrative/organizational skills required to be a project leader most of the time, so I prefer that others control the outcome.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I remember I played old SNES games with my little sister recently. I'm very close to my sister, probably more than anybody else, so I mostly remember having fun with her.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
I first look at relevant encyclopedia information about it (this usually means Wikipedia), and then I go to a local library and read as much as I can about it, so that I feel that I have mastered the subject, so to speak.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
Not at all, I am pretty messy. The only rule I have is that I don't like food trash laying around because it attracts bugs; everything else is fair game.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Consistency in principles is more interesting to me on a theoretical level, but I think that empirical data makes it feel more "certain" in my mind, if that makes any sense (not that it's absolutely necessary, but it's nice work if I can get it).

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I value group harmony and a sense of belonging, but I also don't think I could partake in something that went against what I believe to be right, so I'm not completely sure.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think before speaking, and one-on-one without a doubt.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I'm very risk-averse, so I look before I leap. Actions do speak louder than words, in that they tell us more about a person's motives.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Watch the show.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get extremely tense (more so than usual), and I get extremely angry very easily. I also find it nearly impossible to think clearly.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I'm uncomfortable around aggressive people, and I'm uncomfortable around emotionally manipulative people (especially when it's really obvious).

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I really like talking about Star Trek (my favorite media franchise), and I also enjoy discussing philosophical topics, preferably with people who are well-read in philosophy (not very common, in my experience).

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
I don't pay much attention to health, and I pay practically no attention to physical attractiveness.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
My friends all introduce me as "our really smart friend," and they also see me as thoughtful and devout. I don't know if I'm smart as people think (I do moderately above average on IQ tests, for whatever that's worth), though. They would never say I'm talkative.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
I like to watch Star Trek, and I like to do liturgy-related activities as well.

If there are any other questionnaires that you want me to do, let me know.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fi = personal views/morals and Si = tradition.

I mean... well... a little bit but not really? Everyone has personal values, even Fe types (they just get expressed differently), and Fi's a lot more compex than being able to just being boiled down to "morals." And Si is way more than tradition (especially in the ah, 'traditional' sense of the word lol!) Those are just really really too simplified ways of describing those two functions and could lead to potential mistypes and the spread of misinformation, which is really the only reason I am replying (sorry OP, I'm bad at typing other people so I can't help much there, unless you find the below links helpful!)

These are what come to mind with my reply:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/81211-fps-describe-fi-understand.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...si-conservative-semantics-misconceptions.html

I think they're pretty valuable threads which might help explain what I'm trying to say better than I'm able to say it here. Might also be helpful to [MENTION=27483]fn2133[/MENTION] in trying to decipher whether or not they value those functions based on how strong users of those functions describe it??

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You sound more F to me? Like, you seem pretty similar to me... anyways.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why does everybody think Si is about Tradition?
[MENTION=27483]fn2133[/MENTION]

I think you are likely an FP. Your OP already shows your focus on feeling. The sensitivity towards other people's emotions you describe seems like Fi. You are also aware of how your actions impact the feelings of others (Fi-Te), the motives of other people, your own values over group values. Your answers to questions 16) and 18) seems like sensing is in a lower position. 6) shows a weakness of Te, and you rely on others for use of Te. Based on this I think it is possible you are an XNFP.

bradly00

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hmmm.... I guess that's possible. The problem I have with ISFP (or any SP, for that matter) is that I am clumsy and absent-minded, which I usually associate with low Se.

Then again, perhaps I misunderstand Se; I'm not completely sure.

I met a few SP's out there that were clumsy and absent minded. It was their low preference for Ni that makes them absent minded and clumsy. And because they also have been diagnosed with AD/HD.

Last edited:

fn2133

Why does everybody think Si is about Tradition?
[MENTION=27483]fn2133[/MENTION]

I think you are likely an FP. Your OP already shows your focus on feeling. The sensitivity towards other people's emotions you describe seems like Fi. You are also aware of how your actions impact the feelings of others (Fi-Te), the motives of other people, your own values over group values. Your answers to questions 16) and 18) seems like sensing is in a lower position. 6) shows a weakness of Te, and you rely on others for use of Te. Based on this I think it is possible you are an XNFP.

What would be the difference between a socially anxious INFP and a socially anxious ENFP?

I met a few SP's out there that were clumsy and absent minded. It was their low preference for Ni that makes them absent minded and clumsy. And because they also have been diagnosed with AD/HD.

I don't think I have AD/HD (I'm fairly certain of that), and I don't see how low Ni correlates with clumsiness/absent-mindedness.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would be the difference between a socially anxious INFP and a socially anxious ENFP?

I am not sure. You could research the inferior function. I would wager INFP though, because your answers show a lot of Fi, although perhaps this is because of your situation at the moment affecting your answers.
To contrast both types, here is a link if you are interested:
ENFP / ENFp
INFP / INFj
^
These links are a different typology, similar to MBTI and based on the same thing (Jungian psychology) therefore it is valid. It might help you see the difference in Ne and Fi dominance.

I don't think I have AD/HD (I'm fairly certain of that), and I don't see how low Ni correlates with clumsiness/absent-mindedness.

agree

fn2133

I am not sure. You could research the inferior function. I would wager INFP though, because your answers show a lot of Fi, although perhaps this is because of your situation at the moment affecting your answers.
To contrast both types, here is a link if you are interested:
ENFP / ENFp
INFP / INFj
^
These links are a different typology, similar to MBTI and based on the same thing (Jungian psychology) therefore it is valid. It might help you see the difference in Ne and Fi dominance.

Aren't socionics IEs different from MBTI functions? They may have the same names, but I believe they're conceived differently (Si is very different in both systems, for example).

Regardless, I identify more with EII, particularly as an Ne-subtype (I don't know if that's actually my sociotype, though).

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aren't socionics IEs different from MBTI functions? They may have the same names, but I believe they're conceived differently (Si is very different in both systems, for example).

Regardless, I identify more with EII, particularly as an Ne-subtype (I don't know if that's actually my sociotype, though).

They are slightly different, imo, but they are based from Jung's writing, I think that is why people think socionics is valid to use in mbti topics. The Judging functions (F/T) are the most similar, and the perceiving ones can be quite different (sensing in particular).
Converting Between MBTI and Socionics: LXPilot's Guide

fn2133

They are slightly different, imo, but they are based from Jung's writing, I think that is why people think socionics is valid to use in mbti topics. The Judging functions (F/T) are the most similar, and the perceiving ones can be quite different (sensing in particular).
Converting Between MBTI and Socionics: LXPilot's Guide

Meh, I still think that the two systems are too different to use one system in order to determine one's type in another system. I think MBTI is the superior of the two because it's much less confusing, and doesn't suffer from obvious translation problems like socionics does.