• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Mask Questions His T-Dominance (Actually serious)

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
This post really sums it up, honestly. No need for another one. :p

Maybe. I'm starting to doubt T-dom but I might be confusing ST-signs for general T-signs. I don't look at everything from the perspective of optimization ("How could I do this differently to achieve my goal?"), which definitely rules Te out and makes me nothing like my self-typed INTP roommate (bit suspicious of that typing though). ENTP remains possible but I feel like my Ne shorts out sometimes and I have a hard time thinking of things (though that might just be that I introvert and go on places like this way more than an ENTP "should")

I don't type as a Feeler because my emotions aren't anything like intense. I feel too calm a lot of the time, to the point where it's kind of boring. This is very likely learned, however, because bad things tended to happen when I did express my emotions at key points in high school, and plus I've had debate training to the point where I sort of learned to logic everything. I really doubt Fi for me as well--when you boil what I want down to its essence, it's not derived from something personal, but something that could be considered "what everyone wants". And I don't "do stuff" as much as an Se dom or aux.

I can't see myself as ESFJ really, because I don't put the kind of effort they do into being respectable. ISFJ's a maybe. INFJ's a maybe. ENFJ and ISTJ are very unlikely maybes. ENTP's a maybe. INTP's a maybe.

So! What do you think I am?

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This post really sums it up, honestly. No need for another one. :p
Hmm, I think approaching this from a socionics perspective may make things a little easier to get a handle on, you could then cross back over into MBTI once you have it figured out from a functional perspective. The easiest way to narrow down which socionics functions you use are by using the quadras to eliminate the ones you aren't. If you're interested in trying this method, in the link below click each different quadra and read the description and try to figure out which ones resonate and which ones don't and why, and it may help me, you, or someone else be able to figure this out.

Socionics Quadras

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP

Hmm, I think approaching this from a socionics perspective may make things a little easier to get a handle on, you could then cross back over into MBTI once you have it figured out from a functional perspective. The easiest way to narrow down which socionics functions you use are by using the quadras to eliminate the ones you aren't. If you're interested in trying this method, in the link below click each different quadra and read the description and try to figure out which ones resonate and which ones don't and why, and it may help me, you, or someone else be able to figure this out.

Socionics Quadras

*Cracks knuckles*

Let's give it a shot. :p

Honestly, it sort of depends on the time of life for me, actually. I can see a good deal of Alpha and Beta in the interactions I remember as being most enjoyable, but the more enjoyable ones recently have been Delta-y. I think various things sort of burned me out on the Alpha/Beta dynamics (mostly my own perfectionism about my ideas and refusal to do what logic dictates all the time clashing with each other to the point where my passions sort of become more difficult to hold, but social isolation factors in, as does the more guilt-trippy element of politics that exists nowadays).

I can say probably not Gamma, at any rate, though I identify in large amounts with the ILI description on that site.

I should also mention that I identify with Alpha and Beta differently. Alpha I identify with (With the caveats I described earlier) much larger amounts of than Beta, but there's exactly one thing in Beta that I remember being very strong in me that isn't there in Alpha (and in fact, the opposite is stated in Alpha), and that's the bit about shared beliefs:

Beta types tend to feel energized in the presence of people who share their beliefs and express them with obvious enthusiasm and emotion.

I don't get that with social beliefs really (in fact I'm really uncomfortable with people sharing my political beliefs, I get worried I'm being sucked into a hivemind), but when it comes to just raw emotions about life experiences...put it this way: There was someone I really despised in high school (and wanted to bang, but never you mind that :p ) And my two greatest friends over those years were people I could easily bond with over that. I feel like I had more fun with them than with anyone, actually. It's not a belief, but I think it still qualifies.

However, social hierarchies are at best hit-or-miss with me, and I don't like large groups.

So!

D'Ascoyne

Can you free talk a little bit about power? Just your thoughts on power and power dynamics, in any way you see fit.

bradly00

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You sound like an ISTP to me. ISTPs always want to know about themselves better because they are introverted perceivers. Introverted perceivers are always doubtful about who they are.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Can you free talk a little bit about power? Just your thoughts on power and power dynamics, in any way you see fit.

Power? Well alright.

Warning: Self-Absorption Ahead

So in a way you could say I always wanted to be powerful, but I don't really act on that want a lot. It's more sort of an endgame for me, although being in college now has shifted up the timetable a little bit. Perhaps this isn't the kind of discussion that is meant, but I figure it's the first thing that popped into my head that was clear, so that'd be useful with regards to typing.

I don't know if I'll ever really feel the need to be powerful in a day-to-day context, although I was learning Muay Thai for a little bit, and during that time I was fantasizing a little bit about what it'd be like to be able to beat people up and so forth. Not sure if that counts or not. I've only recently begun thinking of actual, real-life interactions in terms of power dynamics at all (I think, perhaps I'm simply not aware of those thoughts as such when they happen--I just think of them as being under a different umbrella, so to speak.) I notice when someone has a lot of power socially, I suppose, and it can bother me if I feel like it's being abused, maybe held by an undeserving person as well.

Damn. This is way less impressive than I thought it'd be. I want to be able to expound upon "Power and society" or whatever, but that will probably take longer. Maybe figuring out how one becomes powerful in a social context is a good start (Although I swear I've already thought about this). I think originality is key, at any rate, having ideas no one else has. You have to have more to offer than the next guy, basically. That said, you can't overwrite the established pack mentality too much or people will take it as an attack. That's never good. It's building on what came before you, really.

Not sure what the implications of that are, but this is a longass post already. I will stop. :p

You sound like an ISTP to me. ISTPs always want to know about themselves better because they are introverted perceivers. Introverted perceivers are always doubtful about who they are.

I would've thought this was more Fi/Fe and Ni/Everything else based, but...I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts. I can actually see why you'd think that, though. :)

Why ISTP specifically? I thought Ti/Fe myself, but I wasn't sure of Ne/Si vs. Ni/Se.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

mirror ! :)

bradly00

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Power? Well alright.

So in a way you could say I always wanted to be powerful, but I don't really act on that want a lot. It's more sort of an endgame for me, although being in college now has shifted up the timetable a little bit. Perhaps this isn't the kind of discussion that is meant, but I figure it's the first thing that popped into my head that was clear, so that'd be useful with regards to typing.

I don't know if I'll ever really feel the need to be powerful in a day-to-day context, although I was learning Muay Thai for a little bit, and during that time I was fantasizing a little bit about what it'd be like to be able to beat people up and so forth. Not sure if that counts or not. I've only recently begun thinking of actual, real-life interactions in terms of power dynamics at all (I think, perhaps I'm simply not aware of those thoughts as such when they happen--I just think of them as being under a different umbrella, so to speak.) I notice when someone has a lot of power socially, I suppose, and it can bother me if I feel like it's being abused, maybe held by an undeserving person as well.

Damn. This is way less impressive than I thought it'd be. I want to be able to expound upon "Power and society" or whatever, but that will probably take longer. Maybe figuring out how one becomes powerful in a social context is a good start (Although I swear I've already thought about this). I think originality is key, at any rate, having ideas no one else has. You have to have more to offer than the next guy, basically. That said, you can't overwrite the established pack mentality too much or people will take it as an attack. That's never good. It's building on what came before you, really.

Not sure what the implications of that are, but this is a longass post already. I will stop. :p

I would've thought this was more Fi/Fe and Ni/Everything else based, but...I'd be interested in hearing more about your thoughts. I can actually see why you'd think that, though. :)

Why ISTP specifically? I thought Ti/Fe myself, but I wasn't sure of Ne/Si vs. Ni/Se.

Your auxiliary function, Se, is what gave it away to me. So this tells me that it your Ni/Se function working more than your Ne/Si function.

D'Ascoyne

Power? Well alright.

Hey, thanks for talking about power and sharing some interesting ideas.

You do seem to use Ti, Se, Ni, and Fe. Your third paragraph as a whole can be indicative of Ti and Ni. In particular, your remarks about having already had these thoughts and seeking/valuing originality.

How long did you practice Muay Thai for? What got you into it, and why did you discontinue?

When you think of conflicts or disagreements you've had, what were they about? You don't have to get personal or specific, I'm curious about the issue or dynamic underlying the disagreements. For example, if you asked me the same question I'd say the basic underlying theme in my disagreements have been about freedom.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I would say those who have Pi dominance have those characteristics. In the case of an ISTP they're Ji dominants which those people understand themselves much better and where they stand on things.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Hey, thanks for talking about power and sharing some interesting ideas.

No hay de que. :) And sorry this response took so long, too, I had some other stuff to deal with.

You do seem to use Ti, Se, Ni, and Fe. Your third paragraph as a whole can be indicative of Ti and Ni. In particular, your remarks about having already had these thoughts and seeking/valuing originality.

Couple thoughts:

1. Which function would you ascribe each thing to specifically?
2. I still am unsure how likely it is that I am Thinking-dominant, even though I do use those functions, for the reason I mentioned earlier. What do you think of that?

How long did you practice Muay Thai for? What got you into it, and why did you discontinue?

Wasn't too long, actually--I ended up running out of money before I could continue. As for why I started...

It was sort of a sense that this was it, in a way. This was where I could start doing what I really wanted to do, which would've involved acts of heroism and such. Learning that would've allowed me to be better at combat which would've allowed me to maybe save lives later in the right situation. So...yeah.

When you think of conflicts or disagreements you've had, what were they about? You don't have to get personal or specific, I'm curious about the issue or dynamic underlying the disagreements. For example, if you asked me the same question I'd say the basic underlying theme in my disagreements have been about freedom.

I think three different branches exist, for my conflicts--freedom, power/competence, and boredom. The third one's less prevalent recently, though. For freedom, well, I'm just out of high school, so it'd make sense that I'd be trying to push back against parental restrictions (those that remain, anyway), and sometimes the restrictions that others seem to want to put on me (there was a particular example involving my roommate and I, when we were both in a sort of "quiet cafeteria, and he wanted to head back, but he also wanted to head back with me specifically, so he told me in a manner I considered forceful that we were going. That pissed me off and so I just sort of ignored him till he left.), power/competence typically involves people either questioning my ability at certain things, or, more rarely now, lording their own competence over others when I see it as unjustified or overly harsh for whatever reason.

Boredom comes up when I just feel the need for the rush standing against something or taking down someone creates. I'm trying to be more responsible about that though, so I'm using this less often now.

D'Ascoyne

Mind you, these are cursory thoughts based only on what you've presented in this thread. But going on that, the first underlined chunk are sentiments that seem common to Ni users. The bolded is what I think is the most Ni, but now I'm not so sure. It could just as well be Ti, as you are speaking to originality as something that "no one else has." The "established pack mentality" and "building on what came before you" could be Fe, though.

The second bit of underlined seems more xxTx than anything else, but it could also really fit with xSxJ. Need more context.

It was sort of a sense that this was it, in a way. This was where I could start doing what I really wanted to do, which would've involved acts of heroism and such. Learning that would've allowed me to be better at combat which would've allowed me to maybe save lives later in the right situation. So...yeah.

Can you talk more about what you really want to do? How does what you want to do link up to acts of heroism and saving lives in the right situation?

I think three different branches exist, for my conflicts--freedom, power/competence, and boredom. The third one's less prevalent recently, though. For freedom, well, I'm just out of high school, so it'd make sense that I'd be trying to push back against parental restrictions (those that remain, anyway), and sometimes the restrictions that others seem to want to put on me (there was a particular example involving my roommate and I, when we were both in a sort of "quiet cafeteria, and he wanted to head back, but he also wanted to head back with me specifically, so he told me in a manner I considered forceful that we were going. That pissed me off and so I just sort of ignored him till he left.), power/competence typically involves people either questioning my ability at certain things, or, more rarely now, lording their own competence over others when I see it as unjustified or overly harsh for whatever reason.

Do you react this way just with your friend, or is this standard across the board? Let's say it wasn't your friend but an object of (potential) affection; would you react similarly/differently/depends/don't know/can't know til scenario happens with someone else?

Do you think your friend noticed what you were doing or how you felt? Were you aware of how your friend was feeling?

Boredom comes up when I just feel the need for the rush standing against something or taking down someone creates. I'm trying to be more responsible about that though, so I'm using this less often now.

Can you talk more about all this? How often do you feel the need for this kind of rush? Is the rush feeling specific to this kind of scenario?

Do you know your enneagram or instinctual stacking? I'm really leaning towards sx/so.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Mind you, these are cursory thoughts based only on what you've presented in this thread. But going on that, the first underlined chunk are sentiments that seem common to Ni users. The bolded is what I think is the most Ni, but now I'm not so sure. It could just as well be Ti, as you are speaking to originality as something that "no one else has."

Correlation then. :p A'ight. Doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

The "established pack mentality" and "building on what came before you" could be Fe, though.

I should point out, I don't necessarily like or prefer these aspects, I just notice them.

(Sez my Fe, but still. :p )

The second bit of underlined seems more xxTx than anything else, but it could also really fit with xSxJ. Need more context.

I've noticed in a lot of social groups (but not all) that I've been around the presence of a sort of "Queen Bee" or group of "Queen Bees", who typically doesn't venture far from a certain party line. To a certain extent, they create that line, but if they were to say something seriously disagreed with by people in their "Base" they'd lose some of that status (See: Richard Dawkins or Steve Shives). I typically dislike or at least question the queen bees of a group, which makes people not like me sometimes.

For instance, there was a blog about literary criticism that had a chat attached whose creator chatted on there a lot. She would frequently state her broad review of certain things that I was uncomfortable fully agreeing with because I hadn't seen them, and I take a dim view of critics in general. So I'd ask for clarification a lot, and she'd get pissed at me a lot, which you could sort of forgive sometimes given the difficulty that can come with remembering every precise detail, putting a name to it, etc., but at the same time, I'm not about to just hive-mindedly repeat someone's opinions, least of all really negative ones, without some justification. The people on that chat actually do like me, because I can contribute original ideas, be funny, and suchlike, but sometimes I irritate them, certainly. :p

Can you talk more about what you really want to do? How does what you want to do link up to acts of heroism and saving lives in the right situation?

Well, when I was younger I wanted to be the protagonist of your typical movie or perhaps anime-esque cartoon, who was destined to save the world. Now that I'm older, I want to get as close to that as possible, which would've been the military, but for the facial hair requirements. XD Currently I'm just learning Arabic and biding my time... :p

Do you react this way just with your friend, or is this standard across the board? Let's say it wasn't your friend but an object of (potential) affection; would you react similarly/differently/depends/don't know/can't know til scenario happens with someone else?

My reaction would definitely be situational, I think, though the relationship I have with the person is just one factor. General mood, what I've been thinking about lately, what I think will happen if I don't do what they say, all those play a role.

Do you think your friend noticed what you were doing or how you felt? Were you aware of how your friend was feeling?

Not sure but probably not on the first, not really but a little on the second. He tends to enjoy my company a bit, I know, and get anxious about where I am, etc.

Can you talk more about all this? How often do you feel the need for this kind of rush? Is the rush feeling specific to this kind of scenario?

The rush is less something I "feel the need" for, per se, and more something I realize I'd been missing this whole time once I do get it. Sometimes I recognize this cognitively, and start to pursue something (Almost said someone, heh. Don't know why but I think that could be important) like that.

Do you know your enneagram or instinctual stacking? I'm really leaning towards sx/so.

I do not! I could be a lot of things honestly, type and stacking wise. I definitely would've said sx/so in high school, but now it's less clear. I was a lot more confrontational and extroverted in those days.

D'Ascoyne

I've noticed in a lot of social groups (but not all) that I've been around the presence of a sort of "Queen Bee" or group of "Queen Bees", who typically doesn't venture far from a certain party line. To a certain extent, they create that line, but if they were to say something seriously disagreed with by people in their "Base" they'd lose some of that status (See: Richard Dawkins or Steve Shives). I typically dislike or at least question the queen bees of a group, which makes people not like me sometimes.

For instance, there was a blog about literary criticism that had a chat attached whose creator chatted on there a lot. She would frequently state her broad review of certain things that I was uncomfortable fully agreeing with because I hadn't seen them, and I take a dim view of critics in general. So I'd ask for clarification a lot, and she'd get pissed at me a lot, which you could sort of forgive sometimes given the difficulty that can come with remembering every precise detail, putting a name to it, etc., but at the same time, I'm not about to just hive-mindedly repeat someone's opinions, least of all really negative ones, without some justification. The people on that chat actually do like me, because I can contribute original ideas, be funny, and suchlike, but sometimes I irritate them, certainly. :p

- First paragraph: sx dom
- Second paragrah: xxTx

The focus on originality, I think, seems to point to Ti or Ni in the top two functions. My mind is circling around ISTP, ESTP, and ENTP, but don't think INTP should be ruled out yet.

Was there any reason you're questioning your type?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
- First paragraph: sx dom
- Second paragrah: xxTx

The focus on originality, I think, seems to point to Ti or Ni in the top two functions. My mind is circling around ISTP, ESTP, and ENTP, but don't think INTP should be ruled out yet.

Was there any reason you're questioning your type?

A'ight. :)

It was a combination of things, really, a lot of them laid out at the start of the thread. XD My roommate, first of all, self-types as INTP and is very different from me in a lot of ways--though that may be a case of a personal blind spot on my part, now that I'm thinking of it. XD He just seems very interested in "optimizing", i.e. doing things in a way that achieves the sort of basic goal of the thing--the most efficient computers, the best-statted things in games, etc., and I often don't function like that (there was a big chunk of my life where I was interested in finding the most "overpowered" DnD builds, but I knew a fair number of people who held the interest before forming it, and had started off with and since shifted to a more flavor-oriented approach). I'm less inclined naturally to strategize in a fair number of areas, actually, romance being a notable one, and more prone to just going at them with myself and complaining if it doesn't work. XD

So yeah.

D'Ascoyne

A'ight. :)

It was a combination of things, really, a lot of them laid out at the start of the thread. XD My roommate, first of all, self-types as INTP and is very different from me in a lot of ways--though that may be a case of a personal blind spot on my part, now that I'm thinking of it. XD He just seems very interested in "optimizing", i.e. doing things in a way that achieves the sort of basic goal of the thing--the most efficient computers, the best-statted things in games, etc., and I often don't function like that (there was a big chunk of my life where I was interested in finding the most "overpowered" DnD builds, but I knew a fair number of people who held the interest before forming it, and had started off with and since shifted to a more flavor-oriented approach). I'm less inclined naturally to strategize in a fair number of areas, actually, romance being a notable one, and more prone to just going at them with myself and complaining if it doesn't work. XD

So yeah.

Your roommate might not be an INTP, so that would muck things up if he was your only impetus for reassessment/comparison; but I get that your reasons contain more than that. It's possible neither of you are INTP. Just what you wrote above, your roommate does seem to prefer Te, but again, I'd need to know more.

Did you read the profiles for all the various types you were considering?

D'Ascoyne

Okay, let me ask you this:

You have a major project coming up in school. Tell me about your process from the point it is assigned to your completion of it.

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
Your roommate might not be an INTP, so that would muck things up if he was your only impetus for reassessment/comparison; but I get that your reasons contain more than that. It's possible neither of you are INTP. Just what you wrote above, your roommate does seem to prefer Te, but again, I'd need to know more.

Sure. XD And I've had the same thoughts, believe me.

Did you read the profiles for all the various types you were considering?

Socionics profiles? Not recently but I've done it a fair deal. I could do it again, I guess. :)

A'ight, looking at LSI, it's a meh fit, honestly. I can relate to the description of Suggestive Fe a little bit, and I do (or at least did) have a ridiculously...intense...relationship with morality. This description does also suggest, ,though, someone that does their job, and I am less good at that. :/

IEI, meanwhile...I relate to inferior Se a lot, not necessarily completely but a lot. Not as sure of the rest of it, though. I am quite imaginative, I'll admit, but...I don't have trouble expressing my thoughts the way they do, most of the time. I also would like to think that the description of Demonstrative Fi isn't me, but YMMV I suppose.

SEI, I relate to a lot of, including Se ignoring and Te-PoLR. I'm not an Ni-role though, I don't think, and most likely not Si-dom.

SLI is a no...

I'm just outright not as connected to the world around me as an EIE is. They're inclined to see the importance in everything, but I'm more dismissive than that. :p

Then there's ILE...not sure, honestly. I'm doing less of the core things of that type, but that may be due to my roommate. And the whole Super-Id description is spot on in ways too.

LII...I don't really appreciate being directed towards the physical needs of others, but the emotional needs maybe. As for the parts of the type further up the list, I can generally understand the way something works if I put my mind to it, but it's a very piecemeal thing for me at the same time.

Otherwise, I don't know which ones you're referring to.

Okay, let me ask you this:

You have a major project coming up in school. Tell me about your process from the point it is assigned to your completion of it.

In the beginning: Ignore it.

Somewhere in the middle, after some prodding: Start to research and then take a long break, occasionally spending time processing the research in my head.

Towards the end: Do literally everything else in a whirlwind of speed (I have sometimes finished entire presentations during someone else's presentation).

If it's a group project, I can be made to consider things besides the final deadline "deadlines", because I don't like coming to the group meeting with nothing to show.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sx Dom, probably ENTP or something

That's just from voicing the tiny bit we did the other day, though.

Nothing's solid except the sx

D'Ascoyne

Sure. XD And I've had the same thoughts, believe me.

Socionics profiles? Not recently but I've done it a fair deal. I could do it again, I guess. :)

A'ight, looking at LSI, it's a meh fit, honestly. I can relate to the description of Suggestive Fe a little bit, and I do (or at least did) have a ridiculously...intense...relationship with morality. This description does also suggest, ,though, someone that does their job, and I am less good at that. :/

IEI, meanwhile...I relate to inferior Se a lot, not necessarily completely but a lot. Not as sure of the rest of it, though. I am quite imaginative, I'll admit, but...I don't have trouble expressing my thoughts the way they do, most of the time. I also would like to think that the description of Demonstrative Fi isn't me, but YMMV I suppose.

SEI, I relate to a lot of, including Se ignoring and Te-PoLR. I'm not an Ni-role though, I don't think, and most likely not Si-dom.

SLI is a no...

I'm just outright not as connected to the world around me as an EIE is. They're inclined to see the importance in everything, but I'm more dismissive than that. :p

Then there's ILE...not sure, honestly. I'm doing less of the core things of that type, but that may be due to my roommate. And the whole Super-Id description is spot on in ways too.

LII...I don't really appreciate being directed towards the physical needs of others, but the emotional needs maybe. As for the parts of the type further up the list, I can generally understand the way something works if I put my mind to it, but it's a very piecemeal thing for me at the same time.

Otherwise, I don't know which ones you're referring to.

In the beginning: Ignore it.

Somewhere in the middle, after some prodding: Start to research and then take a long break, occasionally spending time processing the research in my head.

Towards the end: Do literally everything else in a whirlwind of speed (I have sometimes finished entire presentations during someone else's presentation).

If it's a group project, I can be made to consider things besides the final deadline "deadlines", because I don't like coming to the group meeting with nothing to show.

All I know about Socionics is the bare minimum; I've read their basic descriptions but don't really understand the system itself. I was asking if you had read any MBTI or Cognitive Functions descriptions.

Like the poster above ^ says, I think sx dom is very likely.

Here is a Socionics link to the instinct descriptions: Instinct workshop notes sp,so,sx

Busy week, but shall return to this thread in a few days.