• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone want to type my boyfriend?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've posted about him in the past, and some people have tried to type him, but no consensus was made. In fact, I think there were 3 replies and they were all different. If anyone wants to help me type him, that would be really helpful.

First of all, I'm 90% sure he's an introvert and a sensor. He only socializes with two people (myself and his xSTP cousin) and he told me he didn't really have or want friends in school. He is also very realistic and dislikes visionary thinking.

-He hates anything that is unrealistic, and he never fails to point it out, even in kids' movies. The other day we were watching Open Season and he told me he wanted to turn it off because he was annoyed by a scene in which one of the characters sticks his head through a gumball machine, because "that couldn't really happen."

-He tends to show affection by doing things for others, like cleaning up their space or buying them something. He doesn't like to give or receive words of affirmation. I think he's a strong believer in the phrase "actions speak louder than words."

-He's prone to impulsive behavior. He has been scammed on the internet more than a few times, and once spent $70 for money on an online game, which he then immediately lost through some sort of gambling. He also likes to splurge on expensive items only to return them a few days later.

-He told me he was kind of an asshole in school, and that he made fun of "weird" kids simply because it was entertaining for him.

-He doesn't like feeling forced into things. He often says he's going to do something and then changes his mind at the last minute, and he doesn't like making promises. He also dislikes being told how he should feel or what he should care about, and he's pretty open about when he doesn't care about something.

-He is extremely compassionate toward animals. He's not the type to become "emotionally involved" in other people's business, but animal cruelty (specifically when someone buys an animal just to abuse it) is the one thing that really sets him off.

-He has a very low input:eek:utput ratio as far as energy. He needs several hours of doing nothing to recover from a relatively short time of studying or working. Otherwise he just feels overwhelmed.

-His political views are very rational, with very few instances of ethical bias. He doesn't really identify with either side of the political spectrum (conservative or liberal) but he has told me that he especially dislikes republicans because he believes they are opportunistic. His main political views are: pro-gun rights, pro-same-sex marriage, anti-women in the military (I know, I know), anti-religious influence, pro-choice, and anti-any kind of affirmative action. He thinks a lot like Jim Webb, if you know who that is.

-Once he is in a bad mood, he has to slowly come out of it himself. He can't go from being angry to being excited. He has a tendency to hold grudges.

-He is great with practical skills like cooking, working with tools, and computer software/hardware.

-He really dislikes when things are messy and disorganized. For such a spontaneous person, neatness is really important to him.

-He was once very romantic and emotional, but after several heartbreaks, he is now much less so. He is still a very considerate partner though, and is not the type to cheat, hook up, or anything like that.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Perhaps ISxJ? I can see quite a bit of similarities to other ISxJs I know. But I'm not sure.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
first thought was ISTP because my boyfriend shares a few of those traits. ISTJ seems possible too though.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly I see a lot of Ti and Fi, but I don't see Fe or Te at all. He loves figuring things out for himself and tinkering with things, and he also stays true to himself and hates when people are "fake." He could be an ISTP 4w3 or something I guess

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He very well indeed could be something.

Actually staying true to oneself can very well be an enneagram 6 quality. And 6's like to see through others.

ISTP 6w5cp 8w9 2w3 so/sp/sx

4s like to be authentic but it is with being original or different not necessarily being true to oneself. 4 is part of image and attention triad.

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds very much like an ISTP. My ex-gf's dad is a matured ISTP. They tend to be quite organized, methodical and self-driven for an SP type. He unknowingly helped me recognize and balance Fi with Ti and to be more grounded on my long term goals.
I only know a few ISTPs but they're pretty easy to recognize. They may come across as practical, independent, reserved, indifferent and overly private and they generally need a lot of time alone to keep that constant Ti going.

I like ISTPs.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds very much like an ISTP. My ex-gf's dad is a matured ISTP. They tend to be quite organized, methodical and self-driven for an SP type. He unknowingly helped me recognize and balance Fi with Ti and to be more grounded on my long term goals.
I only know a few ISTPs but they're pretty easy to recognize. They may come across as practical, independent, reserved, indifferent and overly private and they generally need a lot of time alone to keep that constant Ti going.

I like ISTPs.

Sounds just like him :D

Flybylikeahurricane

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
NA
Your description of his "realism" sounds Te rather than Ti. Te is likely to point out and be annoyed with things that have no real world logical consistency. They way you describe his ethics and not wanting to be forced into anything emotionally related sounds like underdeveloped High Fi. You describe him as impulsive, doesn't think much through, and into expensive things. He sounds like he could be in a Se-Te loop, but it isn't clear whether he prefers Ni over Te. My final conclusion is either an antisocial ESFP (which is totally possible) or an ISFP that neglects his Ni because of the way he was raised and instead found himself in the grip of inferior Te. He could very well be an ISTJ that engages in routine sensory indulgence and impulsivity because of some disorder related to the past, such as PTSD. Each one of these conclusions suggest some sort of psychological dissonance, so my suggestion is to keep an eye on him and give him as much support as you can, as he may be keeping some sort of darker secret from you or hiding his feelings of depression or anger.

Flybylikeahurricane

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
NA
Okay read it again and I definitely think he's ISFP. I don't see any Ti in him though. Ti is more likely to intellectually play with the movie and ask "what if * insert crazy and nonsensical action or reaction* happened, what would be the most logical way to deal with it?" Ti is less concerned with standard and realistic rationality than Te. And now that I look at the rest of it, I can definitely see Fi-Se and then Te. ISFPs can look very unemotional at times because their values and emotions are subjective and directly more inwardly. You didn't mention anything showing Ni, but it's probably less apparent. Plus being a man, he is probably less likely to show his feeling side until he accepts it. Ignore what I said about the mental disorders. And remember to determine his type using functional preferences and not letters. Realism is not necessarily a trait of sensing. I'm a sensor and I am very wild and unconventional in my thinking.

Flybylikeahurricane

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
NA
Also, ISFP's can be very organized and tidy since they rely on Se, which is concerned with immediate detail. I would also point out that getting less emotional with more heartbreaks sounds like a development of the thinking function, which is normal for feelers. He learned to become more rational in his decisions to avoid heartbreak, which means that he was naturally a feeler. I'm a thinker, and I became more value based with more heartbreaks and began to show concern for considering emotional impact on myself and others in my decisions. Being an asshole in highschool doesn't necessarily mean he's a thinker, it may have meant that he was unhealthy in high school, which is what an asshole of any type is. Everything you said lines up with high Se and Fi, and Te somewhere in the functional stack.
However, if you really want to sure sure, I would see a jungian analyst and ask about his type, since I we can do is speculate on what his type might be. A professional knows how to take little bits of information and connect it to a jungian function better than we can. All we can really do is stereotype, since we don't have the training to interpret the human mind.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your description of his "realism" sounds Te rather than Ti. Te is likely to point out and be annoyed with things that have no real world logical consistency. They way you describe his ethics and not wanting to be forced into anything emotionally related sounds like underdeveloped High Fi. You describe him as impulsive, doesn't think much through, and into expensive things. He sounds like he could be in a Se-Te loop, but it isn't clear whether he prefers Ni over Te. My final conclusion is either an antisocial ESFP (which is totally possible) or an ISFP that neglects his Ni because of the way he was raised and instead found himself in the grip of inferior Te. He could very well be an ISTJ that engages in routine sensory indulgence and impulsivity because of some disorder related to the past, such as PTSD. Each one of these conclusions suggest some sort of psychological dissonance, so my suggestion is to keep an eye on him and give him as much support as you can, as he may be keeping some sort of darker secret from you or hiding his feelings of depression or anger.

He does have a troubled past, and I know about it. This may be why I find it so difficult to type him. Thanks for the input :)