• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type do I come across as?

Ely

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have tried to leave out any details that might lead to biases, as well as my own ideas of my type. I'm 24, so according to MBTI theory I should be developing my tertiary function. As you can probably tell, English is my second language, so expect a bias towards cold/detatched/technical language. Please share your thoughts, or feel free to ask additional questions!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
- I don't feel like I fit either of the type descriptions very well. I suspect that I answer questionnaires as I'd want to be, rather than as I am.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
- To learn new things, work with interesting things and make the world around me better, while having a stable and safe economic situation. To have both close relationships and a lot of freedom.
I don't know how to answer why. I want to learn things to make the best out of every situation rather than learning for its own sake. I want to be a good person, be safe and have fun.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
- This is very difficult for me to answer, as I have many diverse talents. I often feel flow when I'm working on school projects, especially while collecting information or figuring out how to handle a specific situation. I also experience a lot of flow when working with music, debating politics or ethics etc. I easily view things from multiple angles, and very much enjoy playing the devil's advocate.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
- I am very aware that I don't know how to dress myself, I don't have any interest in fashion and no strong taste one way or another. I have been perceived as rude or socially incompetent when I was younger, mostly because of my tendency to overestimate how close a friendship is and therefore engaging in playful banter that was perceived as hurtful. I'm very aware of it, and try to instead be polite and attentative when meeting new people, which makes me seem shy and aloof. I hate feeling left you! I also hate being physically unable to do certain things because of my genes or injuries.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
- When I make a conscious choice, I have a very utilitarian approach and weigh pros and cons both for myself and any effect it might have on other people directly or indirectly. I make decisions based on expected outcome, not principles! (For example I disagree with deontological (?) Kantian logic)
I value being an ethical shopper highly but don't always consider how something might affect people around me in real life.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
- I like to get started right away to avoid stress. As a rule, the outcome is the purpose and the process the means, so yes, I like to have control of the outcome.

7) Describe a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
- A while ago I visited a friend, and we went to a concert. We sat in the back drinking drinks and chatting during the opening acts, but approached the stage during the main act to immerse ourselves in the music more fully. It was both a sensory pleasure and a bonding experience.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you?
- Google is my best friend. I like to read things from different sources depending on situation, and read everything from scientific reports to blogs and forums.

9) How organized do you think of yourself as?
- I try to be organized, partially because I know that I'm forgetful. On the flip side, I'm not very spontaneous either.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
- It depends on the context. I generally tend to dismiss ideas that I can't see any practical application for, or that aren't related to the real world. I easily understand theoretical models and their mechanics and implications though.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
- I don't often take care or others (I generally show people I care by doing them services - buying them coffee, driving them places etc) and couldn't build team spirit in a group to save my life. I place some emphasis on being true to myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
- I often think while speaking, or even through speaking. I prefer one-on-one communication, but not because I'm shy or dislike large groups. In fact, I like discussions to be fast paced and intense. I also want to be able to participate actively in the discussion at all times (rather than to just listen without chiming in for long periods of time) without taking too much space. I hate interrupting people to get a say, and I hate being interrupted. In group discussions I find it hard to achieve a good balance, and either keep a low profile, feel bored and zone out, or I take up too much space and dominate the situation.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
- Actions speak louder than words, and I generally notice when they don't match. I would say I'm more likely to act before I have all the information rather than being slow to act.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
- I would go out with them in a heartbeat! I don't like watching TV.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
- I want to be left alone, don't answer messages or calls, snap at people, find it harder than usual to focus but can't do other things or relax either..

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
- I can't stand superficiality, meanness, fake people and struggle with people that I think are stupid. Religious conservatives make me see red. I hate people who try to control me or manipulate me.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
- Politics, economics, music, psychology

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
- Pop culture. I don't care for TV, sports, fashion etc.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?
- I think I'm generally perceived as smart and intellectual, ambitious, funny/witty/humoristic, energetic, somewhat cold and detatched, present, mature and assertive. I would argue that I'm not ambitious as much as freaked out by the risk of not having financial security. I would also say that I'm more of a people pleaser than people think, I can be manipulative and shrug off my bad conscience pretty easily. I also don't share information that will make me look weak if I can avoid it, for example I don't share anything about the negative aspects of a romantic relationship with my close friends or family.
I don't think anyone would ever call me superficial, nostalgic, nurturing, slow or a prude.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
- I would do drugs, have sex, go to an amusement park or a concert, eat good food... Or something like that :)

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to guess ESTP. You mentioned that you strongly prefer going out with friends to watching TV alone, which pretty clearly says extravert. Signs of you being a sensor are everywhere- you said you dislike ideas that aren't practical. I was torn between ESTP and ESFP, and you could be either one, but I don't know a lot of "intellectual, ambitious, cold/detatched" ESFPs. They're typically very impulsive procrastinators, and are often very emotional. Your answer for question 20 is classic Se.

Ely

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for your input, that's very interesting! ESTP is not a type I've even considered - I've never heard of a Se-dom who doesn't know how to dress themselves and have no idea about what's going on in the world of TV, sports, pop music or fashion. I also often struggle to live in the moment rather than worry about the future.
But it's true that the things I enjoy doing on my free time are very Se, in different flavors!

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks for your input, that's very interesting! ESTP is not a type I've even considered - I've never heard of a Se-dom who doesn't know how to dress themselves and have no idea about what's going on in the world of TV, sports, pop music or fashion. I also often struggle to live in the moment rather than worry about the future.
But it's true that the things I enjoy doing on my free time are very Se, in different flavors!

What you're describing could be a lack of Fe, rather than a lack of Se. My ISxP boyfriend, for example, has like 3 shirts, and literally could not care less about what's going on in the world (as far as pop culture, sports, politics, or really anything else). His flavor of Se is more like noticing details, learning practical skills, being realistic, and enjoying life through sensory activities. From what you described, your Se seems similar to his.

If you're not a Se-dom, you're probably a Ne-Si type, maybe an ENTP.

Ely

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That makes sense! This is why it's so easy to get confused in the world of types and typing.. I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you pick up in terms of cognitive functions in my test, apart from Se and lack of Fe?

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That makes sense! This is why it's so easy to get confused in the world of types and typing.. I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did you pick up in terms of cognitive functions in my test, apart from Se and lack of Fe?

The main things I'm seeing are Se, Ti, and Fi. So basically you could be any SP type with strong shadow functions. Then again, you said you're organized, so I could be way off.

Ely

Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The main things I'm seeing are Se, Ti, and Fi. So basically you could be any SP type with strong shadow functions. Then again, you said you're organized, so I could be way off.

Where do you see signs of Ti? I think I may have a poor understanding of how Ti and Te differ, so I'm curious about what you based your analysis on.

bradly00

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You could be an ESTP. From what I have read, it seems reasonable to say that ESTP is your type.