• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP or ESTP?

coasterkc

MBTI Type
XSTP
Enneagram
N/A
Sup guys,

So I've been watching videos and reading up on MBTI for a few years now and I'm like 95 percent sure I'm either an ISTP or an ESTP but I still don't know if I'm an E or an I so I thought I'd extemporaneously ask you guys.

OK so sometimes I'm convinced I'm an ISTP cause in certain contexts I'm super reserved and quiet and have a hard time connecting with others, even if I try to start a conversation with other people I'll be unsure of myself and it'll just be really awkward. Like right now I just started working at my new job at a gym and one of my colleagues was like "hey man don't be too hard on yourself, you're just an introvert that's all." When I was a kid I used to take ball point pens apart and play with the individual pieces and I can spend hours by myself playing video games in my room for an entire weekend by myself and be totally ok with it. People have said to me I'm that guy who looks like an engineer who works on a nuclear submarine who doesn't talk much and just tinkers with mechanical devices. That's when I'm like "OK so I must be an ISTP."

But in other contexts I'm the loudest and cockiest guy in the room. When I was a kid whenever the home video recorder was on I hammed it up. Hell you should all read my rants I post my Facebook, I am a provocateur par excellence and I looooove getting a kick out of pissing people off with my inflammatory posts. Sometimes people will delete me but usually I have enough charm to win some of them back once I've persuaded them that I'm not the asshole I portray myself... most of the time anyway. It's like you can't win over all of them right? lol
I'm calm and reserved at work but if I'm at a company party where I have to dress to impress it's like I can turn on a switch and can easily schmooze and make small talk with just about everyone. If someone is needed to give a rousing speech to bolster motivation I'm your man. It's like sometimes when you meet someone and it you just click with them, you ever meet someone you've never met before but it feels like you've known each other you're whole life? If I'm with those kind of people and if they can reassure me if my strengths I do really great. The key thing for me is that I'm in an environment that facilitates and encourages that kind of behavior I thrive. It's like I say to myself "It's safe now to show my wild side where I won't get into trouble." Like if I'm at a job like the one I'm at now that's more administrative and maintence work I falter, I can't show the real me. But if I'm in an environment where it's ok to act out more I thrive. Like I hated math in school, geometry was alright but I hated algebra, just hated it. I liked science but I hated having to sit for two hours in class doing pointless assignments. I did good in English only cause I was really good at bullshitting on essays or giving oral presentations, I always kicked ass at giving oral presentations but god damn I hated analyzing symbolism and shit while having to read John Steinbeck novels. I just hated having to sit in class and be lectured by some dumbass when I knew I was smarter than the teacher. Hell if I was the teacher where I could teach however I wanted I would've loved school, but I wasn't so I hated it.

One second I'm like Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, a quiet and solitary figure who sulks in the dark waiting for the right moment to sneak up and pounce on my prey. Two minutes later I'm Liquid Snake, loud cocky and in your face ready and hellbent on world domination. Or sometimes I feel like the main character from Yu Gi Oh, timid amongst intimates but then when I step up to the plate I transform into the most ferocious competitor the world has ever seen. Kind of a Jeckyll and Hide dualistic persona I got going on y'know? I guess you could say I'm struggling with figuring out who I really am, sometimes I look inward and I feel like a ghost in the machine, or like the T-1000 from Terminator 2, I look like a human and act like a human but when you open me up I feel like a soulless robot. I'm constantly trying to please others while simultaneously having a sadistic desire to stoke the flames of controversy. I'm conflicted, unsure of who I am and the role I need to live while in this life. Instead of getting depressed about it I just remind myself that I know that I'm determined to persevere through whatever life throws at me and I'll just be stronger each and every time as a result of it.

Alright so that's the end of my rant lol I tried to be as spontaneous as I could be to give the best snapshot of my personality.

So what say all you? ISTP? ESTP? Or something else completely? Thanks all y'alls for your input.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
You really sound xSTP either way, nice rant you got there. ;)

It's hard to tell which one though. How do you behave under stress? What goes through your mind, how do you react to things, etc? For instance, do you start to think of worst-case scenarios? Do you think of all that could go wrong?

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I think you're an extrovert. A lot of ESTPs go through reserved phases and are incredibly detached from their environment, but when given an opportunity they deem worthwhile of engaging in, they're more than comfortable to put on a show.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm rather antisocial and I do NOT seek out company... behaviorally I'm a total introvert, but cognitively I'm totally an extrovert, which means, in personality theory, that I'm an extrovert :)

so yeah... apply that to what [MENTION=26046]Dyslexxie[/MENTION] said

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Typing is difficult for ambiverts but with MBTI, when you read about Se and Ti do you relate to one more than the other?

coasterkc

MBTI Type
XSTP
Enneagram
N/A
Yeah lately I haven't been stressed about anything really. Pretty much I go to work, keep my head low and do the minimum of what needs to be done and then get back home and watch YouTube videos all night. Maybe Dyslexxie is onto something about me going through that reserved phase but I Just don't know...

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Ok, well I was trying to distinguish between inferior Ni and inferior Fe with the stress thing, but your answer doesn't help with that :p

I would try to learn the cognitive functions.

coasterkc

MBTI Type
XSTP
Enneagram
N/A
Ok, well I was trying to distinguish between inferior Ni and inferior Fe with the stress thing, but your answer doesn't help with that :p

I would try to learn the cognitive functions.

I'm almost positive I'm an STP, I just can't seem to figure out if I lead with Ti or Se...

I remember a couple months back at my old job I was called into my supervisors office. I began to freak out a little bit thinking I was about to get fired for something I did. I began to worry about all the bad things that would happen to me if I got fired over something I did wrong and stated to get a little paranoid. Turns out it was nothing and she just wanted me to sign a quarterly document and I was freaking out for no reason. Lol
Does that count as stress?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I'm almost positive I'm an STP, I just can't seem to figure out if I lead with Ti or Se...

I remember a couple months back at my old job I was called into my supervisors office. I began to freak out a little bit thinking I was about to get fired for something I did. I began to worry about all the bad things that would happen to me if I got fired over something I did wrong and stated to get a little paranoid. Turns out it was nothing and she just wanted me to sign a quarterly document and I was freaking out for no reason. Lol
Does that count as stress?

Ah, that does sound like stress! And that sounds a lot like inferior Ni, actually. Inferior N in general is susceptible to "worry about all the bad things that would happen to me" as you wrote. So that would point to ESTP over ISTP for you.

Glad she just wanted you to sign the document, though, haha. That's good to hear.