• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an enfp or an infp?

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
the last several months. I've done a bunch of research, studying up on the cognitive functions and reading on other people's experiences with the functions and types.

However, despite all this, I'm kind of confused about my own type. For all these months, I've been typing myself as infp. All the functions fit, and I've always considered myself an introvert. However, as I learn more about mbti and the functions, I have a weird feeling that I actually may be enfp.

While I do feel a connection with other infps and while their experiences resonate with me, there's always been a disconnect, too. I feel like, plainly speaking, I'm too outgoing and focused on the outer world to be an introvert like infps. While I know extraversion/introversion is not reliant on superficial factors like how outgoing one is, I do feel that I'm too...open and outwardly passionate and people-oriented to be an introvert. I've always felt that my Ne is particularly strong, and now I'm wondering if it's because I'm actually an enfp.

Below is a list of reasons why I believe I'm an enfp and a list for infp. Also, please bear in mind that I also have anxiety issues (including social anxiety) that may be distorting my extraversion if I actually am en enfp.

Reasons for enfp:

-Love talking and sharing my ideas. I'm an incredibly imaginative person who often finds herself lost in fantasies and new ideas (like both enfps and infps). However, like an enfp, I always feel the need to share my excitement and passion for these ideas with others. I'll go insane if I don't voice my ideas.

-My love for people. I'm honestly kind of obsessed with people - both with studying them and their behaviors/interactions, but also socializing with them. Like I said before, I am talkative and relatively outgoing when my anxiety isn't getting in the way. And when I'm around people that I'm comfortable with, I'm ab inedible bubbly, happy, friendly person who loves to be around others.

-"Active, not passive." I don't know how to explain this one exactly, but I've noticed that most infps tend to be very passive outwardly - in their facial expressions, body language, hand gestures, etc. However, I'm not the same. I tend to have a very expressive face when I'm talking to people and I gesticulate/give open body language when I speak. I move around a lot, my eyes roam, I give tons of smiles, etc.

-I'm way too opinionated. Many infps, I've noticed, don't really care for debating and arguing. They feel like everyone's entitled to their opinions, which gives them the stereotype of being highly agreeable people. I'm the exact opposite of that - I'm not very agreeable, I have strong opinions and I don't believe that every opinion should be respected. I'm always up for a debate and even though I do care about hurting people's feelings during them, I always stand by my point and hold up a level of assertion when giving my opinions. I just generally think I'm too passionate externally to be an infp.

-I'm not sensitive enough to other people's feelings. While I'm an INCREDIBLY emotional and sensitive person when it comes to my own feelings, I'm not that way with others. Unlike a lot of infps I know, I've been known to hurt other people's feelings by being insensitive and saying the first thing that comes into my mind. I tend to make a lot of blunt, sarcastic jokes that come off the wrong way to others, and I end up upsetting people without ever realizing/thinking about it.

Reasons for infp:

-I need my alone time. While I do have anxiety, I know for a fact that even if I didn't have it, I would still definitely need to be alone often. If I have cousins over during holidays, I will spend most of my time not talking to them and then take all of that energy and use it up during conversation with them for only a couple hours. When I'm alone, I use the time to learn more about myself and my own interests, about the world and current events, and to research new topics and learn new things that I'm interested in. And I would definitely say that even though I LOVE then sharing these new ideas of mine with other people, I need A LOT of alone time to collect my thoughts and opinions and to learn more about myself uninterrupted. I'll crash otherwise.

-I'm reserved and quiet in many situations. I'm incredibly outgoing, loud, and obnoxious with people I'm comfortable with, but otherwise I revert back to my shell and keep quiet. However, like I said, I have anxiety disorder and even when I'm reserved, I desperately want to be more outgoing and share my thoughts and opinions, I'm just too scared to.

-I have A LOT of Fi. Like I said before, I'm an IMMENSELY emotional person and whenever I learn new information or discover a new idea or theory, I internalize it and find some way to relate it back to myself and my core values. Anything that happens in my surroundings feels like it has everything to do with me (which makes me a really selfish person also because I feel like the world revolves around me). I'm very sensitive when it comes to my own feelings (not as much others - but I still have more sensitivity with others feelings than most people) - I take people's words to heart. I'm very sensitive to the things that happen to me - they completely shape my perception and values for the world and myself.

-I'm a very "weak" person. Now I know it's a stereotype that infps are weak-minded, but I feel like I fit this to a T. Like I said, I'm incredibly sensitive and clearly, I'm susceptible to mental illness. I am terrified of other people and I lack basic confrontational skills. I can't be assertive (except sometimes in a debate when I know I'm right) and I often let people walk all over me. I feel like people are constantly judging me, making me paranoid (though that might just be anxiety). I'm a HORRIBLE procrastinator and I am terribly disorganized. My Te is pretty weak in this regard because I literally can't force myself to do anything, making me incredibly lazy. (My Te is stronger in terms of debating and when trying to make other people do things - even though I'm content with being lazy myself, I hate it when other people are.)

So there it is. Sorry it was so long, but I'd really appreciate any opinions/responses.

Thank you!

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would read that later but I find ENFPs can be introverted and shy

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
ENFP. I don't think any of your INFP arguments go against it, either. I think you are right in saying that your anxiety may make you seem a certain way.

And on the weak Te...maybe it has to do with age. If you're younger, the tertiary may not be very developed.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFPs are sometimes called the most introverted extrovert. They do spend a lot of alone time with their passions.

And ENFPs are champions for a reason. They love their causes. They will argue strongly their points.

Both ENFPs and INFPs can have underdeveloped Te or might overvalue the strength of their Te.

The key to determine type isn't Fi but Ne. Ne doms are very Ne. Figure out which is your dom. Ne doms often look like they have ADHD.....

hipsterpeterpan

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can relate to this a whole lot. I always thought I was an introvert, but recently I've been wondering if maybe my anxiety makes me seem more introverted than I am. What you said about needing to share and express your thoughts/ideas/passions/interests, I so relate to that. I feel like I'm going to explode most of the time, because I have so many ideas that I just want to shout at everyone. But I think my anxiety holds me back (and the incessant fear of being annoying). I've just realized that, before I developed anxiety problems (which I estimate was around junior high), I used to be a lot more social. I had way more friends than I do now, and I'd beg to hang out with them whenever I could, pretty much. I mean I know that introverts have friends, but I feel like I was more involved and outspoken in my friend group (I can't even imagine having a group of friends now, with my anxiety). I was more of a leader, and somewhat of a know-it-all. Somewhere I lost that, and I wonder if I'm actually an ENFP who just isn't functioning properly due to anxiety.

Not trying to hijack your thread, hahah. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

robert666

MBTI Type
INTJ
Out of the two, I would pick ENFP for you. Here are some reasons:

Reasons for enfp:

-Love talking and sharing my ideas. I'm an incredibly imaginative person who often finds herself lost in fantasies and new ideas (like both enfps and infps). However, like an enfp, I always feel the need to share my excitement and passion for these ideas with others. I'll go insane if I don't voice my ideas.
Seems more ENFP than INFP.

-My love for people. I'm honestly kind of obsessed with people - both with studying them and their behaviors/interactions, but also socializing with them. Like I said before, I am talkative and relatively outgoing when my anxiety isn't getting in the way. And when I'm around people that I'm comfortable with, I'm ab inedible bubbly, happy, friendly person who loves to be around others.
I would say that both types are interested in understanding people, and any type can be happy and bubbly with people that they are comfortable with.

-"Active, not passive." I don't know how to explain this one exactly, but I've noticed that most infps tend to be very passive outwardly - in their facial expressions, body language, hand gestures, etc. However, I'm not the same. I tend to have a very expressive face when I'm talking to people and I gesticulate/give open body language when I speak. I move around a lot, my eyes roam, I give tons of smiles, etc.
Seems more ENFP than INFP.

-I'm way too opinionated. Many infps, I've noticed, don't really care for debating and arguing. They feel like everyone's entitled to their opinions, which gives them the stereotype of being highly agreeable people. I'm the exact opposite of that - I'm not very agreeable, I have strong opinions and I don't believe that every opinion should be respected. I'm always up for a debate and even though I do care about hurting people's feelings during them, I always stand by my point and hold up a level of assertion when giving my opinions. I just generally think I'm too passionate externally to be an infp.
This fits better for ENFPs than for INFPs.

-I'm not sensitive enough to other people's feelings. While I'm an INCREDIBLY emotional and sensitive person when it comes to my own feelings, I'm not that way with others. Unlike a lot of infps I know, I've been known to hurt other people's feelings by being insensitive and saying the first thing that comes into my mind. I tend to make a lot of blunt, sarcastic jokes that come off the wrong way to others, and I end up upsetting people without ever realizing/thinking about it.
Seems like extraversion rather than introversion.

Reasons for infp:

-I need my alone time. While I do have anxiety, I know for a fact that even if I didn't have it, I would still definitely need to be alone often. If I have cousins over during holidays, I will spend most of my time not talking to them and then take all of that energy and use it up during conversation with them for only a couple hours. When I'm alone, I use the time to learn more about myself and my own interests, about the world and current events, and to research new topics and learn new things that I'm interested in. And I would definitely say that even though I LOVE then sharing these new ideas of mine with other people, I need A LOT of alone time to collect my thoughts and opinions and to learn more about myself uninterrupted. I'll crash otherwise.
Can apply to either type, both types share the sensitivity which can cause anxiety. So an ENFP can retreat to be by herself as can an INFP.

-I'm reserved and quiet in many situations. I'm incredibly outgoing, loud, and obnoxious with people I'm comfortable with, but otherwise I revert back to my shell and keep quiet. However, like I said, I have anxiety disorder and even when I'm reserved, I desperately want to be more outgoing and share my thoughts and opinions, I'm just too scared to.
This could apply to either type.

-I have A LOT of Fi. Like I said before, I'm an IMMENSELY emotional person and whenever I learn new information or discover a new idea or theory, I internalize it and find some way to relate it back to myself and my core values. Anything that happens in my surroundings feels like it has everything to do with me (which makes me a really selfish person also because I feel like the world revolves around me). I'm very sensitive when it comes to my own feelings (not as much others - but I still have more sensitivity with others feelings than most people) - I take people's words to heart. I'm very sensitive to the things that happen to me - they completely shape my perception and values for the world and myself.
This could apply to either type, both have Fi and it would be difficult to objectively 'measure' how much each type has. Both types can take people's words to heart and be very sensitive.

-I'm a very "weak" person. Now I know it's a stereotype that infps are weak-minded, but I feel like I fit this to a T. Like I said, I'm incredibly sensitive and clearly, I'm susceptible to mental illness. I am terrified of other people and I lack basic confrontational skills. I can't be assertive (except sometimes in a debate when I know I'm right) and I often let people walk all over me. I feel like people are constantly judging me, making me paranoid (though that might just be anxiety). I'm a HORRIBLE procrastinator and I am terribly disorganized. My Te is pretty weak in this regard because I literally can't force myself to do anything, making me incredibly lazy. (My Te is stronger in terms of debating and when trying to make other people do things - even though I'm content with being lazy myself, I hate it when other people are.)
Both types can be sensitive, so this doesn't indicate that you are an INFP.

By the way, being 'sensitive' doesn't make you 'weak'. I understand that from the outside it does look like weakness since we are using standards that have to do with getting things done in the outside world. But from the inside the Fi types have a lot of strength in staying true to what they believe in (this is not to say that they are right or wrong but that they have the strength to stay true to themselves). It's just a question of how you measure strength or weakness.

Starry

[MENTION=27107]Hithere[/MENTION]

Having recently started a thread on how common it is for SFJs to type themselves as NFPs (actually - how common it is for SFJs to feel undecided between ENFP & INFP for reasons that still escape me no matter how badly I long for somebody to please figure out why this phenomenon occurs and explain it to me in great detail...)

...I wanted to come here and see an exception. I wanted to read what you had written and feel confident when suggesting either ENFP or INFP but I can't...and even thought about not responding because I can't... but believing this post will ultimately have little influence why not? (suspecting I am right in this regard doesn't change the fact this isn't fact as this isn't science. We deal only in opinions).

My answer would be neither. While you describe a few characteristics that may appear in either an ENFP or INFP...the focus is entirely off and imo Fe is the reason for that. ( a good deal of what you say even flies contrary to what is commonly understood/accepted about the NFP)

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Thanks for your responses! The general consensus seems to be enfp, but I still have some reservations.

One thing I forgot to mention is my overwhelming tendency to get lost in a fantasy world, to daydream constantly. I have SUCH a hard time staying on task or remaining focused on something because I just like to wander off into my own mind and dream up different fictional scenarios, to think of outlandish ideas, to evaluate theories about life, the world, other people, etc. I also use this time to self-reflect - but even this may be kind of outward-focused. I self-reflect on myself in comparison to others - for example, how my actions are influencing other people, the world, etc. and how different conflicts (external and internal) are making me feel. I love evaluating myself and my morals in relation to other people.

I think this may be where I believed I am infp, but maybe this is more indicative of enfp? I'm not sure - my ability to self-reflect and get lost in my own world/head seems like an infp thing, but does anyone have other opinions on this?

Also, I don't think I give off the same kind of "vibe" as infps. Most of the ones I've met are very passive in the face and body movements while my entire face seems to light up in passion when I speak to people I'm comfortable with. Also, a lot of infps I've met are fantastic listeners who don't interrupt while I'm incredibly rude sometimes in this regard - I don't always pay attention to the other person, I interrupt them because I get overexcited, etc. Any thoughts on what all this might mean?

Also &Starry, I'm curious to hear why you believe I have Fe. I will admit, I do have my "Fe"-like moments, but for the most part, I'm incredibly uncomfortable expressing my feelings in this outward manner. I treat emotions and feelings as a very private, intimate sensation that I don't willingly express to other people. In fact, many of my Fe friends have stated that I have a tendency to bottle up my feelings and keep them locked away. I am also an incredibly selfish person with regards to other people and their wants/needs - to me, my desires and emotions come before other people's. Of course, I do have empathy for others but, at the end of the day, my happiness will always come before someone else's.

Regardless, my Ne is wayyyyyy too prevalent in me for me to be any kind of Fe-user. But I'd like to hear your thoughts too!

Again, thanks for all the responses and I appreciate any feedback!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Also &Starry, I'm curious to hear why you believe I have Fe. I will admit, I do have my "Fe"-like moments, but for the most part, I'm incredibly uncomfortable expressing my feelings in this outward manner. I treat emotions and feelings as a very private, intimate sensation that I don't willingly express to other people. In fact, many of my Fe friends have stated that I have a tendency to bottle up my feelings and keep them locked away. I am also an incredibly selfish person with regards to other people and their wants/needs - to me, my desires and emotions come before other people's. Of course, I do have empathy for others but, at the end of the day, my happiness will always come before someone else's.

Just wanted to jump in to say "me too"

A lot of what Fe is, is actually quite misunderstood by much of the MBTI community. I'm bad at typing others so I can't say whether I think you're an NFP or SFJ, but I thought it'd be worthwhile to tell you that I'm an Fe type and I relate a lot to what you wrote above. And also that you might find reading through these threads interesting, if you have time:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...fp-enfj-infj-/80909-esfj-e2-peoples-enfp.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/81133-fjs-describe-fe-understand.html

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
@21lux Thanks for the links, they were incredibly helpful/interesting to read!

I'll admit, now I'm confused. When I made this thread, my intention was purely to differentiate between enfp and infp for myself, convinced I was one or the other. Now, however, I'm contemplating the possibility of actually being sfj, which I've never even remotely considered.

Reading through those threads did, at the very least, let me know how uninformed I actually am on Fe. I've never really considered being sfj because, like many of the posts mentioned, the intensely negative stigma attached to those types online and because so many descriptions for them make sfj types seem so...shallow and stiff? I've never given esfj/isfj a second glance for myself because I immediately figured I couldn't be that (and not entirely my own fault - the descriptions online REALLY make it seem like only a very specific type of person could fit sfj).

I don't know what to make of it. I find that I do identify with a lot of aspects of both Fe and Si (I don't know about Ni as those two threads mostly dealt with Si), but I'm still uncertain about a lot of things. Part of me now feels like I've been subconsciously tailoring my personality to appear more like that of an nfp when, in reality, it should be closer to an sfj. But I don't know why this would be? To try and stand out from the crowd more? Or do I just have unusually heavy Ne?

I guess it would be helpful for me to know exactly what fundamentally is different between nfp and sfj. Because I feel like most of my understanding of Fe/Fi has been skewed now, and I don't even know what to make of Ne. I'm not too sure how I got this confused and muddled all of a sudden haha.

If anyone else has opinions/questions surrounding Fe vs. Fi and which seems to be present within me, please share! (or if you want, continue the discussion on enfp vs infp)

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=27107]Hithere[/MENTION] I just want to say that I really love your openness to being an SFJ. So many would immediately shoot down the notion. I hope that you stick around the forum after this thread has gone and passed. :heart:

I would focus first on introversion and extroversion, as those are independent of NFP and SFJ. Then you can narrow down a little more.
(You're not alone, by the way. I too am in the INFP/ISFJ boat.)

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
@themightyfetus :heart: I will admit, I was kind of shocked when I first read that I could possibly be sfj, but I also recognize that I tend to get really irrational and narrow-minded when faced with things I don't immediately agree with, so I want to be as open-minded as possible! And, clearly, sfj is not far off the mark for me, so I'm looking into it.

Thanks for your advice, by the way!

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
@21lux Thanks for the links, they were incredibly helpful/interesting to read!

I'll admit, now I'm confused. When I made this thread, my intention was purely to differentiate between enfp and infp for myself, convinced I was one or the other. Now, however, I'm contemplating the possibility of actually being sfj, which I've never even remotely considered.

Reading through those threads did, at the very least, let me know how uninformed I actually am on Fe. I've never really considered being sfj because, like many of the posts mentioned, the intensely negative stigma attached to those types online and because so many descriptions for them make sfj types seem so...shallow and stiff? I've never given esfj/isfj a second glance for myself because I immediately figured I couldn't be that (and not entirely my own fault - the descriptions online REALLY make it seem like only a very specific type of person could fit sfj).

I don't know what to make of it. I find that I do identify with a lot of aspects of both Fe and Si (I don't know about Ni as those two threads mostly dealt with Si), but I'm still uncertain about a lot of things. Part of me now feels like I've been subconsciously tailoring my personality to appear more like that of an nfp when, in reality, it should be closer to an sfj. But I don't know why this would be? To try and stand out from the crowd more? Or do I just have unusually heavy Ne?

I guess it would be helpful for me to know exactly what fundamentally is different between nfp and sfj. Because I feel like most of my understanding of Fe/Fi has been skewed now, and I don't even know what to make of Ne. I'm not too sure how I got this confused and muddled all of a sudden haha.

If anyone else has opinions/questions surrounding Fe vs. Fi and which seems to be present within me, please share! (or if you want, continue the discussion on enfp vs infp)

I too wanted to jump in and say that what you describe is a lot like Fe, however, I just made a thread about it lol.

Yes, I too relate to what you said and I do not identify with xNFP at all when you get down to what xNFPs are really about.

Fi is not about being INTENSELY EMOTIONAL. That is ...sort of the opposite of Fi, according to Jung. I was just reading Jung and I've noticed that he states that although both types of feelings are aware of what it thinks/values/feels, it is the extroverted feeler that can find the "right" means of expressing their opinions/thoughts/feelings.

So both can have "INTENSE FEELINGS," I know I do ...although it can take me a while to notice them, but once I do ...I can go on RANT about what I feel/think/believe. Extroverted Feelers don't "hide" their emotions/opinions well once it's formed ...it leaks from them even if they don't want it to/try to suck back into them.

And the thing about procrastinating and being disorganized totally applies to xSFJs ....like 100000000000000% It applies ....to like any type, really. My sister is ISTJ an she can't keep ANYTHING where it should be in her room.

I just read the inferior for ExFJs and the "content with being lazy myself, but hate it when others are lazy" seems to be a thing for them. They have a rational system that they apply to others, but don't apply to themselves.

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
@thoughtlost Interesting. So how exactly do you think Fi users react to their emotions/feelings different from Fe users?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
@thoughtlost Interesting. So how exactly do you think Fi users react to their emotions/feelings different from Fe users?

First of all, this may all sound intimidating, and you probably just wanted a simple ENFP/INFP answer in return. But take your time learning about the functions, don't fret. You'll learn more about yourself along the way and it'll be cool in the end ;)

Like the Fe thread that was handed to you, there is also an Fi thread that may prove useful in evaluating whether you feel more closely with Fe or Fi.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/myers-briggs-and-jungian-cognitive-functions/81211-fps-describe-fi-understand.html

While we're talking about your understanding of the functions though, I'm curious what you feel Ne is, and why you believe it's so strong in you? It probabaly is, but I'm curious to see if what you identify as strong Ne, perhaps indicating as a dominant function, feels like for you?

Of course there's also an Ne thread to check out too, we're pretty amazing here, I know :D

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
@enthusiastic_dreamer For me, Ne has always seemed like my go-to thought process. My ability to envision countless different ways that situations/events could play out. I touched on this when i talked about my fantasy worlds - I literally sit for hours on end imagining new scenarios, creating new ideas/theories about the world for myself. I never get bored with how vast my imagination is in this regard. I tend to forget/drop everything around me to just stay in my own mind and dream.

I see possibilities that aren't tangible/concrete in my environment. I tend to overlook the obvious and what's right in front of me; instead, I see what could happen, but not obvious/evident based on my surroundings. I'm the most oblivious person to the things around me; I'm awful at retaining any sort of concrete information about anything. But even though I can't remember specific details about things, I do pick up on the general idea or feeling or atmosphere - I'm great at connecting the dots and understanding why something is the way it is even if I can't tell you the specifics of that thing.

My vast imagination is fed by the connections I make within my mind from subconscious observations I made from the external. Again, these observations don't feel sensory - they're almost unperceivable to others, a seemingly random observation my mind picks up. And I make several different observations of this nature and then create an idea or a vision or a theory in my head based off of the (sometimes random, sometimes irrational) connection between these observations. And then, externally, these ideas manifest into my conversations with other people - my sense of humor comes out abstract yet witty, my ideas and theories about the world have this wild yet passionate nature about them, like I spent a great deal of time fine-tuning my beliefs.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Had an ENFP vibe right off the bat.

Not to mention your tendency to need alone time is relatable to an ENFP I know who is like what you've in your original post excluding the sensitivity. He too was outgoing, loud, obnoxious, sharing his ideas and, even more often, jokes, with us. As the clown. Very easily distracted though, and disorganized. But outside of his friends he and communications like such, there would be long periods where he would lock himself in his house playing games for days before coming back out to do more again. But he relished time with his friends like no other I know. So an ENFP can have introverted tendencies, introverted periods, at times.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi is not about being INTENSELY EMOTIONAL. That is ...sort of the opposite of Fi, according to Jung. I was just reading Jung and I've noticed that he states that although both types of feelings are aware of what it thinks/values/feels, it is the extroverted feeler that can find the "right" means of expressing their opinions/thoughts/feelings.

So both can have "INTENSE FEELINGS," I know I do ...although it can take me a while to notice them, but once I do ...I can go on RANT about what I feel/think/believe. Extroverted Feelers don't "hide" their emotions/opinions well once it's formed ...it leaks from them even if they don't want it to/try to suck back into them.

Yeah, I was never outwardly emotional growing up, even though I was always pretty sensitive and that could be obvious. But I kept it all in.

These days, I still don't output that much; I can go into mini-rants about things at work that annoy me (situations/decisions, not specific people), only if I've established a trusting rapport with someone, but to me that's more obviously Te oriented and it's not like I'm emoting my feeelings per se.

But for the most part I'd say people describe me as quite calm and I'm definitely not 'dramatic' or putting all of the emotions 'out there' for everyone else to deal with. I possibly come across as kind of 'flat' in convo, unless I'm excited about something or am bantering with someone.

(Actually communicating that stuff is pretty difficult for me and something I constantly have to work on -- in context of intimate relationship)

/introverted

Hithere

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
cascadeco Thanks for your input! I've noticed that I do tend to get very passionate about my feelings but ONLY if I'm a) comfortable enough with the person to express myself in such a way and b) if I'm actually passionate enough to talk about whatever is the source of such feelings. And I'm very picky regardless with what feelings I choose to share with people.

Regardless, I do find myself to be overly...passionate? as a person. However, despite the fact that I don't share these passionate emotions with a lot of people (due to fear or anxiety or whatever), I do want to. I absolutely LOVE expressing myself outwardly - my ideas, my passions, my interests, my opinions, my feelings, everything. I WANT people to know me and understand me and my likes and dislikes. It feels nice to be understood and validated by others.

I feel like I'm just talking to myself at this point haha, but I don't care because it's kinda therapeutic. (And it's helping me reach a better conclusion on my type - slowly, but surely.)

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
Yeah, I was never outwardly emotional growing up, even though I was always pretty sensitive and that could be obvious. But I kept it all in.

These days, I still don't output that much; I can go into mini-rants about things at work that annoy me (situations/decisions, not specific people), only if I've established a trusting rapport with someone, but to me that's more obviously Te oriented and it's not like I'm emoting my feeelings per se.

But for the most part I'd say people describe me as quite calm and I'm definitely not 'dramatic' or putting all of the emotions 'out there' for everyone else to deal with. I possibly come across as kind of 'flat' in convo, unless I'm excited about something or am bantering with someone.

(Actually communicating that stuff is pretty difficult for me and something I constantly have to work on -- in context of intimate relationship)

/introverted

Yes! When you do go about expressing yourself (ie ranting) it's a different quality than Fe (both are sensitive though ...the nature of feeling). I have a friend who is like that (Fi-based rants). She's nice and all ...but you notice the difference. They try to keep things impersonal. I've always found that when Fi users express themselves ...it's not what you'd expect of a feeler. Hence Jung's quote 'still water runs deep'.

Fe has a more personal nature to it