• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP? insights greatly appreciated

lumenluminis

Hello all, and thanks already in advance for taking your time! :hi:

After doing a loooot of research on MBTI and functions and self discovery, I was sure that I was INFP, buuut, the thing that keeps me questioning it now is my complete unawareness of my own emotions. I am somewhat introspective, but I always need like 2 or 3 weeks to figure out how I feel about something. Im more of the kind of person whos focused on the- "it should be like this" and then tries to transform myself in what I believe I should be.
I dont really know what I should add..
I have my own insights, my values, im pretty independant, but I know that my values and the way I see things may be different from how others are viewing something, because thats something individual, and I usually try to understand how a person reaches their viewpoints etc., so I think that you could say that I am really accepting and open-minded, as long as you dont try to push me into something I dont want to do.
And yes, I am somewhat always analysing everything. Idk.. I think everything has a reason, and I want to know what lies behind every concept, theory, person, fassade.. but I can lose myself in misinterpretions, seeing things, motives and especially interconnections that are not there..
I can also be really emotional and I am sensitive. If I feel something, then I feel it deeply but I have a hard time with emotions, especially with showing them.

A funny thing is that when trying to type people, I can somewhat ALWAYS tell is someone is a high Ne user, thats something that stings out to me :D I have a much harder time with all the other types

I would be so happy if someone could give me insights on that, or ask questions to help me determine this! :):bye:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like an INFP you sound really kind too!
I like kind people. ^_^

Do you have interest in philosophy or psychology(other than mbti/jungian typology)?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sort of a warning sign, to me, that you'd have Fi first but have poor emotional awareness.

What makes you think you have Fi?

Also, do you find it harder to direct and organize people/things around you or do you find it harder to meaningfully interact with others and maintain relationships?

What gives you stress?

lumenluminis

[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] yes the thing with the emotional awareness leaves me puzzled..
I believe to use Fi because I have my values and they are really really important to me. Im really not an aggressive person,trying to understand and be nice to everyone, but like I said, of you try to push me into doing something which i dont want to, and if you won't stop, i can really snap at people. And Im introspective. I also thought that I need to be a Feeler, since I care a lot about the people who are important to me, Im easily hurt andam reone to idealising

definetely the second. I mean I really NEED to feel like there is a emotional connection with someone, but there hardly is something that feels "real" to me. Im the "comedian", the funny one, that tries to be there for everyone, but I keep people at a distance, trying to get along with everyone but playing shallow
Like I said, I would love to be really close to someone in an emotional way, but thats something that does not really work for me..

Also mentioned, people that are pushy and my own expectations mostly. (I am enneagram 1)
Im really hesitant and timid with people, I dont want to be clingy, intruding or pushing to someones boundarys. If I feel that someone doesnt have boundaries, lets people push them around, I usually leave those people.. dont exactly know why though
The thing is, there are people who really are testing my limits, also mentioned that before, if someone keeps pushing and pushing and wont respect my boundaries -even after I told them several times, it gets nasty.
And yeah, I have such a strong image in my head, of how I want to be and what I want to achieve, it stresses me so much. I started going to university and its my dream to do my phd and become a researcher, and now im stressing myself so much that my head completely blocks and i messed up an important exam and it made me so sad.
Also the thing with people, as I really would love to have meaningful connections..

lumenluminis

[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] oh thank you :)

yess, Im pretty interested in everything psychology related.
But generally, Im interested in science (Im a science mayor), music - Im also writing and composing songs, I like art amd literature, especially surrealism, impressionism.. and Im interested in such social dynamic things as well, why people behave a certain way, how someones behaviour is influencing another person, or a group of person, whats going on on the ground...

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=19719]Forever[/MENTION] oh thank you :)

yess, Im pretty interested in everything psychology related.
But generally, Im interested in science (Im a science mayor), music - Im also writing and composing songs, I like art amd literature, especially surrealism, impressionism.. and Im interested in such social dynamic things as well, why people behave a certain way, how someones behaviour is influencing another person, or a group of person, whats going on on the ground...

You could be an INFJ with a Ti fixation yet doing things feeling related? Or an ENTP?

I can't pinpoint you just yet :laugh:

I really like how you're candid, it doesn't seem like you're trying to copy off descriptions in your own words. I value this kind of typing and it makes it quite fun!

I think you're an Fe/Ti user, just not certain whether you use si/ne or ni/se

lumenluminis

hm, I could just add that my mother is ISFJ, and she is really concerned with how others view her (and me), about the reputition, about how something seems.. and I hate that. Thats the biggest issue with her, because I couldnt care less. What sense does it make if something looks good on the outside, but is wrong on the within. Shes also pretty concerned with money and such stuff, tried to enforce careers onto me which promised a lot of money, which made me really upset. I mean maybe there are other factors playing into it, also maybe sensor/intuitive issues? Buuut I once read that Fe, and especially Ni/Se (so INFJ) is more focused on the outcome, rather than the way it was achieved, soo, even if its not achieved upright and honest. I know an INFJ, and she was like that. And well, I am not. First of all I think that how something is achieved is much more important, annd second, I have a hard time with faking things. When I tried to tell a white-lie as a kid, I started crying 5 seconds later, apologizing, because it felt so awful.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of the two, I would say INFP e9. Not always immediately feeling/knowing your own emotions can be a 9 issue.
4s often have an issue of over-identifying with moods, aka, giving an emotion too much long-term weight. This can mean we think we know what we feel, very strongly even, but it is more of a passing & rather shallow emotional state than deeply felt emotion that may better signal what we need or value.

Remember that Feeling is rational valuation, so it is not impossible to have some emotional unawareness and be a Fi-dominant, although emotions are such strong signals for values that it is semi-unusual. It doesn't sound like you have total unawareness to me anyway, but delayed emotional reaction. It sounds like you know how you feel rationally too and that you identify with these concepts of value. Your concern with boundaries with others is pretty typical for IxFPs (we want to validate/honor others without being invalidated ourselves), and it may be a more central issue for 9s too.

What is relatively common is for an INFP to not know how they feel around others because we may be in a "Ne mode" of processing other perspectives and possibilities. In other words, we are absorbing and exploring what other people may feel, and our own emotions may be put on hold so as not to be affected. Fi types often resist being heavily affected by others. We may allow enough to understand, but not to be swayed.

I often have to retreat to my lair to figure out how I feel. Strong, immediate, real-time reactions are rare for me, which is why I can appear unfeeling on the outside to others. This sort of thing is actually written into the type descriptions for the Fi type.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of the two, I would say INFP e9. Not always immediately feeling/knowing your own emotions can be a 9 issue.
4s often have an issue of over-identifying with moods, aka, giving an emotion too much long-term weight. This can mean we think we know what we feel, very strongly even, but it is more of a passing & rather shallow emotional state than deeply felt emotion that may better signal what we need or value.

Remember that Feeling is rational valuation, so it is not impossible to have some emotional unawareness and be a Fi-dominant, although emotions are such strong signals for values that it is semi-unusual. It doesn't sound like you have total unawareness to me anyway, but delayed emotional reaction. It sounds like you know how you feel rationally too and that you identify with these concepts of value. Your concern with boundaries with others is pretty typical for IxFPs (we want to validate/honor others without being invalidated ourselves), and it may be a more central issue for 9s too.

What is relatively common is for an INFP to not know how they feel around others because we may be in a "Ne mode" of processing other perspectives and possibilities. In other words, we are absorbing and exploring what other people may feel, and our own emotions may be put on hold so as not to be affected. Fi types often resist being heavily affected by others. We may allow enough to understand, but not to be swayed.

I often have to retreat to my lair to figure out how I feel. Strong, immediate, real-time reactions are rare for me, which is why I can appear unfeeling on the outside to others. This sort of thing is actually written into the type descriptions for the Fi type.

I forgot about nine and how out of touch they are with themselves. INFP 9 actually sounds better. :hifive:

You know it gets legit when OrangeAppled comes in. :hi:

Duffy

I used to assign this type of stuff to Ni-Fe. I hadn't notice that it could be Fi-Ne as well...
It actually makes a lot more sense when you factor in that last part. People keep saying INFP and INFJs are so different because of functions, but I dunno about that. It always struck me as similar somehow.

Yes, I agree with this. I've actually seen people attribute this to INTx types.

Kind of semi-related, but do you think it's typical for Fi types to not only delay emotional reactions, but to be oblivious to intent. I've gotten pretty irate in the past because of having overlooked certain things, things in hindsight wasn't all that kind and apparent. I wonder if it's just another byproduct of NFP - stirring up emotions with the use of imagination, disregarding the immediate (extroverted sensing), ....

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kind of semi-related, but do you think it's typical for Fi types to not only delay emotional reactions, but to be oblivious to intent. I've gotten pretty irate in the past because of having overlooked certain things, things in hindsight wasn't all that kind and apparent. I wonder if it's just another byproduct of NFP - stirring up emotions with the use of imagination, disregarding the immediate (extroverted sensing), ....

I am not sure if I understand this... do you mean oblivious to their own intent, the intent of others, or how their own intent may appear?