• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why bother creating a Type Me Thread, when MBTI is "Subjective"

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been contemplating.
Mbti questionnaires seem to be overly open ended.
Highly vague questions dividing the world into 16 types.
Doesn't seem reliable to me.

As compared to the enneagram, MBTI seems to lack in-depth descriptions and focuses only on the possibilities.
This is not a rant.

Whenever I do MBTI tests, Its easy to change my type. Easy to beat the test.
When you know too much, you find less sense in it.
It isn't scientifically accurate, but no test is.
You can't objectify something so subjective.

So. If MBTI is highly subjective, and the questionnaires are based on our decisions, Why do we need others to help type us?
Why do we need validation? Seems like a mode of attention seeking, and I am guilty of it too.
Personally, I don't see why MBTI is something people get into.
Im so xxxx I have these traits, after a while you realise you're not really you.
Those who understand and accept the system, don't use that system to define themselves for they understand its highly subjective.

I have a lot more to say, I just don't wish for it to seem 'rude'

Eluded_One

Building muscle memory in my brain
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do we need validation? Seems like a mode of attention seeking, and I am guilty of it too.

Seeking validation might have the context of attention seeking, or it may have other, more useful and practical reasons-- such as the essentials of personal development: the search for identity and purpose. One of the reasons I post my type to find others similar to myself... and on that note, I don't believe that goal will ever be fulfilled.

Otherwise, I have a tendency to avoid the "type me" sub-forum like the plague. It's often threaded by members that have a handful of posts that will probably remain as such until they lose interest and go their own merry way. That is the nature of the space we live in, real interest and concern is unreasonably difficult to find.

Im so xxxx I have these traits, after a while you realise you're not really you.

Which is why in accordance to taking tests, I don't psycho-analyze my choices or characteristics from a recent standpoint, but rather from a very early childhood experiences. If types weren't static, we wouldn't have a unique imprint. Personally, once you identify the cognitive functions, you can look past the more silly descriptions you find on the web, and you might find MBTI to be more agreeable, or else, I would be the wrong fella to convince you to otherwise.

So. If MBTI is highly subjective, and the questionnaires are based on our decisions, Why do we need others to help type us?
Maybe it's simply one mind trying to reach another. If you believe MBTI is highly subjective, then you should really look into human communication. Nobody is going to comprehend a single message the same way another would.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Suit yourself, it's not forced that you must type yourself. I believe it's there to help you improve your strengths and resolve your weaknesses. It's not some social clique.

If it doesn't suit you, then don't do it. But don't mock it if you don't have anything new to say than what critics have already said about it. I didn't come here to hear "it's unreliable" because if I wanted a general "scientific" opinion this is obviously not the place to be.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wasnt criticizing MBTI theory. I am actually facinated by how much I learnt from it. My issue is some/most the people who are obsessed with it and using it for personal gain.
MBTI is made for understanding others, what they would theoretically be good at, how they tend to function as individuals. Its to bring people together, not separate them and by searching for you type continuously, you're already doing that. Its not so much about yourself. If you can't type yourself, fix yourself. Don't wait for assurances and miracles.

I was trying to figure out why people post multiple type me threads. Its as simple as: I am what I am
And since the questions are vague, isnt it easier to get the same answer, while being seemingly consistent.
People tend to score more accurately when doing the tests without any knowledge of MBTI theory.
Inconsistency would mean their perception of their self isnt stable. They should get that settled first before focusing on typing themselves.
Because honestly, in every type me thread I've read so far, people describe themselves using phrases from the MBTI descriptions of the type they so want to be.

Last edited:

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I often wonder why people bother replying to Type Me threads at all, when it's painfully obvious that most of the thread starters are fixated on a type (usually INFJ or INTJ) and simply expect us to confirm it.

You get the odd person who is genuinely interested in being typed (and these are the ones who tend to contribute and stay in the community here) but by and large, it's a one-way street.

The flawed, subjective nature of online MBTI testing is part of the problem. You can easily game a test.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I often wonder why people bother replying to Type Me threads at all, when it's painfully obvious that most of the thread starters are fixated on a type (usually INFJ or INTJ) and simply expect us to confirm it.

You get the odd person who is genuinely interested in being typed (and these are the ones who tend to contribute and stay in the community here) but by and large, it's a one-way street.

The flawed, subjective nature of online MBTI testing is part of the problem. You can easily game a test.

Hahaha Exactly what I meant!

Last edited:

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But why would you "game" the test? I get that people can but it is defeating the point of honest self-discovery.

If you cheat the test, you may have a better idea of what type you are, so it's not necessary to take it. You can use other in depth references for self-discovery (enneagram is one, understanding function block and how they interact is another).

Or - you don't like the results and seek to codify yourself with what type you think you should be or desire.

The last example is just personal bias and most of the type me threads I've come across are people who are in this category who want external validation of their own bias.

Very few are genuinely searching and are open to all types. Also, they are newbies who fall into the easy stereotypes causing even more bias to accrue.

tl;dr Type me peeps are either cheating themselves or want to learn.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
AND come on, those who use mbti to type themselves exclusively, open up type me threads where they confuse the one helping them, by contradicting themselves. Most of them tend to be INFJs and INTJs, i meant mistyped as those. A real INTJ and FJ and basically everyother type would actually recognize that MBTI is a tool for understanding others. They know theyd have to work on themselves and instead of being a burden to others, they would take a break to sort themselves out. I think most of us are just spoilt.
We just want to be seen as special so we pick the type that attracts us in terms of rarity etc. Its not about the statistics. Its about how you use it. If you cant figure out your type, leave and fix yourself.

I have met some who are really lost in that jumble, but like i said, most of them get help without relying on mbti, until they feel ready to come back to it, for themselves.
If you wish to lie to yourself then go ahead. Just dont waste other peoples time. And remember. Your impression of your self may not necessarily be in line with someone elses perception of you.

Oh and Im not pissed and this isnt a rant. I Just dont understand why people are so narrow minded.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
AND come on, those who use mbti to type themselves exclusively, open up type me threads where they confuse the one helping them, by contradicting themselves. Most of them tend to be INFJs and INTJs, i meant mistyped as those. A real INTJ and FJ and basically everyother type would actually recognize that MBTI is a tool for understanding others. They know theyd have to work on themselves and instead of being a burden to others, they would take a break to sort themselves out. I think most of us are just spoilt.
We just want to be seen as special so we pick the type that attracts us in terms of rarity etc. Its not about the statistics. Its about how you use it. If you cant figure out your type, leave and fix yourself.

I have met some who are really lost in that jumble, but like i said, most of them get help without relying on mbti, until they feel ready to come back to it, for themselves.
If you wish to lie to yourself then go ahead. Just dont waste other peoples time. And remember. Your impression of your self may not necessarily be in line with someone elses perception of you.

Oh and Im not pissed and this isnt a rant. I Just dont understand why people are so narrow minded.
Well, we ask other people for feedback on subjective matters all the time: do they like our new outfit or hairstyle? what do they think of the song we just wrote, or even the meal we prepared for them? In a sense, the opinion of others is more necessary in subjective matters, since few other yardsticks are available.

As for MBTI, when people ask me how I decided on my type, I reference three things: (1) consistent results of tests/surveys; (2) my own conclusions after having read many type descriptions; and (3) the input of people who know me and understand the MBTI system. Constructive type-me threads seem to be trying to fill in item (3) by asking whether their posting and manner on the forum seem consistent with this type or that. Of course the utility of this is limited by the degree to which we can really know someone just though a few pages of online posts, but assuming someone isn't trying to emulate another persona, useful feedback can be provided. These threads sometimes also end up in discussion of the different type descriptions out there, almost as a critique. Do any sugar-coat the types too much, overemphasizing good qualities, or the reverse? Sometimes people will reference a description, book, or website that they feel represents types particularly well.

Bottom line: as with many things, you get out of a type-me thread what you put in. Ultimately it's not identifying your 4-letter type code that's important, but what you learn about yourself along the way.

Zen_alpha

MBTI Type
MIND
Enneagram
5w6
Personally, I find these topics useful, because I see how others try to find out the person type. Especially, members with more experience like INTJ, INTP and ENTJ (if I remember well). This way I can use the same idea in real life and find out the type of people I'm working with which in turn give me more control of the situation. So, basically, this thread is like a lab/course I take from time to time to learn more. For example, I used the method/process to know my team-mate type which is an ENTP. Then, I learned how to "end" the unnecessary argument while we are working on the project. MBTI is useful in these moments, but I don't take them as "fact".

I already know my type, it's -ESFP. So, I only go to these topics to absorb more information.

JClassic

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have been contemplating.
Mbti questionnaires seem to be overly open ended.
Highly vague questions dividing the world into 16 types.
Doesn't seem reliable to me.

As compared to the enneagram, MBTI seems to lack in-depth descriptions and focuses only on the possibilities.
This is not a rant.

Whenever I do MBTI tests, Its easy to change my type. Easy to beat the test.
When you know too much, you find less sense in it.
It isn't scientifically accurate, but no test is.
You can't objectify something so subjective.

Those who understand and accept the system, don't use that system to define themselves for they understand its highly subjective.

I have a lot more to say, I just don't wish for it to seem 'rude'

Thats why you go to the official site and take the test. It costs $50 I think.

Also, you can take several different free tests online and compare. MBTI is accurate, at least the official site.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because by using MBTI to find your type, theres a high chance you get your personal feelings involved, biases etc.
Then subconsciously, you start morphing into the type you want to be, until you consciously feel you're that type. You question others to prove your point. In a way, you're abandoning yourself. You lack information because you closely follow the definition and look to more info on how to 'be yourself'.
You become a robot. Zero independence, depending on tests and definitions to define yourself. This is also probably why most people mistype as fives.
Self knowledge and stereotypes.

I mean look at the Ni types.. The mistypes.. I don't blame them, Im not angry about it, Im actually quite cautious about it. They can severely damage their 'self' by conforming completely to their test results.

I think the key theme surrounding this thread is,' You don't need to change yourself, to be yourself'
Start by loving yourself. Then you can move on from there.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because by using MBTI to find your type, theres a high chance you get your personal feelings involved, biases etc.
Then subconsciously, you start morphing into the type you want to be, until you consciously feel you're that type. You question others to prove your point. In a way, you're abandoning yourself. You lack information because you closely follow the definition and look to more info on how to 'be yourself'.
You become a robot. Zero independence, depending on tests and definitions to define yourself. This is also probably why most people mistype as fives.
Self knowledge and stereotypes.

I mean look at the Ni types.. The mistypes.. I don't blame them, Im not angry about it, Im actually quite cautious about it. They can severely damage their 'self' by conforming completely to their test results.

I think the key theme surrounding this thread is,' You don't need to change yourself, to be yourself'
Start by loving yourself. Then you can move on from there.

I have so much relation to both INTJ and INTP so I know what you mean....

But at the same time without these constructs we won't be able to understand one another's similarities and differences. I very much think this system holds merit. Similarities of thinking between certain types of people alarmingly that shouldn't just be ignored and considered as "I am who I am" and that's that. Brings no clarity. No tangability. So this is an effort to bring clarity and it does just that, but do to certain 'holes' the system may have it can also breed confusion.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
XD Im not blaming the system.
Im just stating how people can mess it up.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
For me personally, even though MBTI is subjective (especially the introverted functions), I'm constantly seeking external validation/affirmation. If even just one person doubts my type it really does affect me, and I have to know why and all that jazz. As I'm partial to saying, a large part of who we are is how we are perceived by others. So despite the subjective nature of MBTI, what is the point of having all these categorized boxes if no one else agrees you fit into that category? :p

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know exactly what you mean!!! I don't bother with the test anymore because I always get the result I want. It's so easy to tell what factors each question influences that I can manipulate my result. I don't really fit into an MBTI stereotype, either. I'm not good at science or math like most INTPs, and I'm too socially inept and critical to be an INFP, but I'm definitely introverted, intuitive, and perceiving. My judging functions are all pretty balanced, so the only way I can identify myself for sure is Ne-Si.

This actually makes "type me" threads more useful, though. I can't analyze myself, so I leave it to others.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If MBTI is subjective, then a Type Me thread will tell you how a person fits you into their subjective map. If you know a bit about their map, it will tell you some things about how they see you.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know exactly what you mean!!! I don't bother with the test anymore because I always get the result I want. It's so easy to tell what factors each question influences that I can manipulate my result. I don't really fit into an MBTI stereotype, either. I'm not good at science or math like most INTPs, and I'm too socially inept and critical to be an INFP, but I'm definitely introverted, intuitive, and perceiving. My judging functions are all pretty balanced, so the only way I can identify myself for sure is Ne-Si.

This actually makes "type me" threads more useful, though. I can't analyze myself, so I leave it to others.

Oh definitely I am the last person you'll want to talk to if you want to find a stereotypical ISFJ, especially with the super crappy descriptions. I always test as ISTJ, ISFP, or ISFJ. Tests are super unreliable and I trust the community here, real people, waaaaaay more than some impersonal online algorithm...

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I second [MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION]. And I'm not sure if it's been said here already, but tests often display a poor understanding of type theory. In fact, I think tests are one of the main reasons people mistype.

I almost always test as a 4w3. Really. I'm highly self-aware, emotional, unique, and sentimental (emphasis on the mental, haha), and I admit to fantasizing about disaster. Coupled with bipolar disorder - not type-related, obviously - I mistyped as a 4 for ages. The tests miss the core fears and motivations, which is what Enneagram is about anyway. I discovered my type by examining my core fears of being unloved (2) and being abandoned or without emotional security (6). I've been thinking about developing my own Enneagram test that captures the essence rather than the surface fluff.