• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why bother creating a Type Me Thread, when MBTI is "Subjective"

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been thinking about developing my own Enneagram test that captures the essence rather than the surface fluff.

We need a test that will not allow anyone to identify the type each question leads to. that would be the most accurate way of testing.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
We need a test that will not allow anyone to identify the type each question leads to. that would be the most accurate way of testing.

I fear that that would be impossible, especially with people who are very well-versed in the topic.

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I fear that that would be impossible, especially with people who are very well-versed in the topic.

Well, then the one who creates the test would have to be superior in knowledge and literally understand each type completely. It'll take time, but I don't think its impossible.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Well, then the one who creates the test would have to be superior in knowledge and literally understand each type completely. It'll take time, but I don't think its impossible.

Maybe something with integration and disintegration...

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe something with integration and disintegration...

Yeap, If you deal with everything in between like the process of integration and disintegration, it'll work, since most tests deal with extremes.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I take MBTI as a useful tool, not as a label that defines and redefines me. I believe NTs have it somewhat difficult because not all of us are maths and physics masterminds. My best approach to animatronics is origami. That's is what at first made me doubt about being INTP. But there's no way I'm F, because I'm a piece of rock. A friend used to say my heart was like Neptune's nucleus. In enneagram I score 0% e2. On the other aspects, I'm sure about my type. I ADORE being alone, the silence. My mind is set on RANDOM, Ne is what I like most about myself. And finally, I'm Khaos. I can live in a room with no visible floor, full of papers, packages, clothes, I believe in Calvin's "last-minute-panic inspiration".

It is true that it's too easy to manipulate the results, or believe that whatever we're living now is "the real we", hence obtaining different results. It also happens (don't know if it's just me) that the tests available construe types based on simplistic/stereotyped ideas, and that the statements that the tests present aren't specific enough, so, in my case, I'm often self-debating them, analyzing myself deeply, and the completion of the test takes hours.

The friend that introduced me to MBTI also scored as INTP (and 541 sp/sx in enneagram) and we're basically the same person, only that he likes reading about the space and I like reading about art, so I'm confident that I'm an INTP (or that we both mistyped ourselves).

As for the "Type Me" threads, I adhere to the explanations others gave: it seems to be useful to understand what others see, build a more panoramic view of types and functions and apply it to people you meet.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well I think we have a prophecy right here, fittingly coming from an IxTP.

Now we just have to wait for the chosen one.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But why would you "game" the test? I get that people can but it is defeating the point of honest self-discovery.

If you cheat the test, you may have a better idea of what type you are, so it's not necessary to take it. You can use other in depth references for self-discovery (enneagram is one, understanding function block and how they interact is another).

Or - you don't like the results and seek to codify yourself with what type you think you should be or desire.

The last example is just personal bias and most of the type me threads I've come across are people who are in this category who want external validation of their own bias.

Very few are genuinely searching and are open to all types. Also, they are newbies who fall into the easy stereotypes causing even more bias to accrue.

tl;dr Type me peeps are either cheating themselves or want to learn.

I think it has a lot to do with Ti/Ne. Ne shows us multiple possibilities, and Ti finds reasoning behind each possible answer. I call it loophole typing.

For example, I could convince someone that I'm an ESFP without lying to myself or them at all. I'd say I'm loud and talkative around my friends, I need excitement to get the most out of life, I hate school and having responsibilities in general, and I can be very sensitive. All of these things are technically true, but I'm not an ESFP at all. Many people have these traits, but I chose to emphasize them because they fit the desired result. If I was in the middle of a "phase" and decided I wanted to be an ESFP, I'd take the test and, using a similar cognitive process, convince myself and the test that I was indeed an ESFP.

I think Ne/Fi people can do this too, but it probably works a little differently for them.

It's kind of cool, I guess, but in many cases it prevents us from knowing our actual types.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it has a lot to do with Ti/Ne. Ne shows us multiple possibilities, and Ti finds reasoning behind each possible answer. I call it loophole typing.

For example, I could convince someone that I'm an ESFP without lying to myself or them at all. I'd say I'm loud and talkative around my friends, I need excitement to get the most out of life, I hate school and having responsibilities in general, and I can be very sensitive. All of these things are technically true, but I'm not an ESFP at all. Many people have these traits, but I chose to emphasize them because they fit the desired result. If I was in the middle of a "phase" and decided I wanted to be an ESFP, I'd take the test and, using a similar cognitive process, convince myself and the test that I was indeed an ESFP.

I think Ne/Fi people can do this too, but it probably works a little differently for them.

It's kind of cool, I guess, but in many cases it prevents us from knowing our actual types.

That makes a lot of sense, yes. Then again, if someone did that, they wouldn't be following directions for the test. It tells you not to be situationally specific. Still...

I do think that someone unsure of themselves would have a difficult time zooming out and viewing things that way. Taking the test over a period of time helps with this.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I made an MBTI questionnaire a couple years ago in which nobody can identify which type goes which each statement.