• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Eternal question. INFJ or INFP?

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Hello! This is my first post here, though I've been lurking around for quite some time.

I keep going over the two types INFJ or INFP trying desperately to figure out which one I am.

INFJ is what I usually get on the "tests", but about 1/3rd of the time it'll come out as INFP. This seems mostly because I will identify with more than one answer equally as much as the other and I decide that time to go with the other answer.

I've taken the cognitive functions test over at Keys 2 Cognition 4 times and it has come out as INFP with possible INFJ/ENFP every time.

The most recent results are:

extroverted Sensing (Se) : 19.4
introverted Sensing (Si) : 31.5
extroverted Intuiting (Ne) : 35.8
introverted Intuiting (Ni) : 30.6
extroverted Thinking (Te) : 23.3
introverted Thinking (Ti) : 29.5
extraverted Feeling (Fe) : 33.8
introverted Feeling (Fi) : 36.7

(ENFP is not possible. I'm the introvertiest introvert, so extroversion isn't an option).

I've taken the socionics test and received EII (INFj) (I cannot remember the subtype).

When I read the traits of each, I'm often confused as well.

For instance, I don't like rules. I don't mind guidelines but hard rules upset/make me unhappy. I like leeway in things.

Yet I'm punctual and expect other people to be as well. Not because it's rule, but because it shows that my/their time is just as important.

I can't stand leaving things open ended. I will obsess over it until it gets resolved, even if it takes years. I may put it on the back-burner, but if it's not resolved it's still there.

I am not religious, but spiritual. I like forming my own opinion on something and the ability to either be skeptical or a believer based on my own personal knowledge while taking in the information that others have shown me and discard what doesn't resonate with me.

I care about people. Often I pick up on how other people are feeling in that I suddenly will feel an emotion, but not know if it's me other the other person. But I also can see how something can make someone feel, if for instance, they are in a completely different place. - This one is difficult to know because I am quite isolated, so my interactions with other people are tricky when it comes to figuring this out.

I obsess over subjects (Which is what I'm doing with the personality thing right now!!).

I don't like to interact with many people. I'm shy and will not open up to most unless I get the right "vibe" from them. And even then I will keep my distance. If I decide to open up though, I will be completely open.

I often see through masks and can tell who is genuine and who isn't, hence the above.

I've recently discovered that i'm not just being crazy and that my intuition is often spot on.

Okay... I can't think of anything else. Essentially, I'm going crazy not being sure which one I am (and I hope I made sense).

Thank you in advance for any help on the topic!!

Feel free to ask for more information if needed for clarification.

(PS. I also posted this same topic over on another forum today in case this seems like deja vu to anyone who might be apart of both :) )

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am going to have to say you're an INFP.

Although I would still allow yourself to take a little more time. Don't take this definitively. Now there are different people for different types.

But your strong introversion and order resemble more Fi/Si from my experience. INFJ's and ENFP's are like extrovert/introvert hybrids pretty much lol.

As for feeling the other persons emotion? Does almost every emotion you have seem like it's from you or the other person? Fi has strong empathy skills to recreate what that person's feeling but not necessarily feel what they're feeling

That skepticism also resonates you're struggle with inferior Te as that demands evidence.

Ni-Fe in my experience isn't so much worried about exposing people as it is about understanding human nature in general. Ti isn't skepticism it's an obsession with process and getting things right systematically. What's the best definition, internal logic of naturally seeing how something works.

I say you're someone who is led by Fi/Ne. Although it's as you're writing hey guys just tell me I'm an INFJ which sounds ridiculously P in nature haha.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Thanks for the quick response Forever!

I also took another cognitive test that was posted on the other forum I mentioned if this helps (I didn't refer to it because of it being on the other forum):

Fe vs Fi test

1.Are you more about people and social connections” (Fe)? Or personal values, authenticity and identity” (Fi)?
2.Do you believe that individual development is important, but social masks are necessary? Masks are ultimately tools. One can convey their true self through moving along with the current than against it (Fe)? Or everyone is entitled to be themselves, free of the nuisance of social convention. Conforming may be better for short term effects, but the ultimate goal is to see individual development (Fi)?
3.Do you work best with the emotions of others (Fe)? Or work best with your own emotions (Fi)?
4. Do you notice how you make others feel (Fe)? Or do you notice how others make you feel (Fi)?
5.Do you show your empathy through saying confirming language such as “Oh no,” and “Aw,” (Fe)? Or exposing your own experiences and struggles as a means of letting the other person know they’re not alone? (Fi)
6.Do you believe in global morals, or/and conform to group morals (Fe)? Or do you believe that everyone is one-of-a-kind and has their own set of values, just as you do yourself (Fi)?
7.Do you have empathy more on a global level, such as empathy for the human race (Fe)? Or empathy for a group of people you feel your values and experiences are related to (Fi)?
8.Would you say “I will do what I think is right, because doing otherwise would do harm to others around me (Fe)? Or I will do what I think is right, because doing otherwise would be inauthentic to who I am as a moral person (Fi)? Examples: You are against adultery because “I would hurt the people I love” (Fe) or “It goes against my ethics” (Fi)? You are against illegal downloading because; “I will set a bad moral example” (Fe)? Or because “I am not a thief” (Fi)?
9.Do you prefer to create an atmosphere of harmony and where everyone is “getting along” (Fe)? Or creating an atmosphere that coincides with your inner values; regardless of whether everyone is ‘feeling alright’ or not (Fi)
10.In a spat, do you appeal to the whole group in an “everybody settle down” kind of way, apologize and compromise to keep everyone happy (Fe?)? Or stubbornly stick to your guns because someone violated an issue of importance to you, and probably latch onto one individual and either calm them or remove them from the situation in an attempt to neutralize the situation? (Fi)?
11.At a park, are you more
Extroverted Feeling (Fe)? You make sure everyone feels involved and has their needs met. Does everyone have a buddy? Nobody should be alone! Let’s go to the bathroom first, okay? How do we feel about hamburgers for lunch? Is that okay? Let’s meet over there, shall we? Does everyone know the plan, so no one is left behind? Let’s take a vote on which direction to go first! Fe will go on a ride it doesn’t like so a friend doesn’t have to do it alone.

Or Introverted Feeling (Fi)? You decide which direction to go based on what is important to you. I’m going on this ride. No, it’s okay, I can go by myself. I don’t need you to come along unless you want to. I’m serious. I’m not afraid to do it alone. I’m not feeling the burgers, either. You all go ahead. I’m going to dash over to that taco stand. Nope, not going on that ride. You can beg all you want, I won’t do it. I’m scared of heights. Not a chance, bud. Drop it.

Ne vs Ni test

1.While in a forest do you think of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by pollution from the city... (Ne) or Recognize that the forest is deeply symbolic of all of life in its interconnectedness and constant recycling and growth and foresees that this forest will soon be torn down for a housing development... (Ni)?
2.Do you have an explosion of ideas, symbols, and possibilities (Ne)? Or do you find one idea and build on it over time (Ni)
3.Are you more about possibilities and randomness (Ne)? Or insights and purpose (Ni)?
4.Is your speech scatterbrained/about multiple topics (Ne) Or more streamlined/ talk about one thing at a time (Ni)?
5.Do you want to go out and try all of your ideas (Ne)? Or be selective with your ideas (Ni)?
6.Is your thought process non-linear (Ne) or linear (Ni)?
7.Do you brainstorm out loud (Ne) or keep ideas to yourself (Ni)
8.Do you focus on “what if's” or “what could be”? (Ne) Or having an “aha moment” (Ni)?
9.Do you find broad shallow symbols and patterns (Ne) or deep symbols, and patterns (Ni)?
10.You are at a park. Are you more
(Ne) sees the possibilities of the park. Look at those two people. You can tell they’re not “together” anymore, but just hanging out for the kid’s sake. See their body language? How many rides are in this park? Do you think anyone ever died here? I think they should put a new ride in this space. Call it the Haunted House of Horrors, and have Dead Presidents in it. You know, they could put up an entire haunted SECTION of the park. That would be awesome. Who do I call to pitch that idea? Stay away from the guy in the red hat. He gives me vibes. Ooh, you know, I could write a story about a murder in a theme park! He could die because the Tilt a Whirl malfunctioned. No, no, because the Tower of Terror ride didn’t stop, it crashed the elevator to the bottom floor! His sister did it. No, his uncle! No, the theme park guy, because he’s freakin’ insane.

Or (Ni)? You know what will happen before it happens. I’m going to take a step back, because that kid is going to spill his slushy all over – yup, there it goes. I know which ride I want to go on. I’ve thought about it all week. I’m going to have an awesome time on that ride. I’m going there first. Wait, there are other rides? I didn’t even notice! I was busy fixating on getting to the head of the line! Marsha better not go on that thing, she’ll hurl—yep, there she goes.

My answers were: Fe or Fi:
1. Fe
2. Fi
3. Fe
4. Fe
5. Both
6. Both
7. Fi
8. Fe
9. Fe
10. Both
11. Fi

Fe= 5 Fi= 3 Both = 3

Ne or Ni:
1. Ni
2. Both
3. Ni
4. Both
5. Ni
6. Both
7. Both
8. Both
9. Ni
10. Both

Ne= 0 Ni= 4 Both=5

When I say "both", that means my answer is entirely based on the situation at hand.

Which if I disregard the "both" answers, then it would be NI and Fe.

This is part of why I'm so confused, but I thought I should add it so as to make more sense.

Now to answer your question. Emotions for me depend on the situation. Some people I'm more in tune with... almost like they are projecting and I have no idea how I truly feel until later and I process it. Others I feel I can't get a read on and I often wonder if that's because their outside doesn't match their inside. Or because I'm more in tune with someone else that is near by.

When I get the chance to actually be alone (which is very rare. I'm isolated, but not alone very often as I have a one year old), I can reflect and sort through emotions. I've also been dealing with some severe depression/mild anxiety issues the past couple of years which has seemed to jumble up my "spidey" senses when it comes to emotions (my own as well as others). I'm just now getting back to my "normal" after a lot of introspection. So this is hard for me to be concrete about, especially with my limited interaction with people.

As for understanding people/humanity. I want to understand why/how people do things as much as I want to know why I do things. I've always been interested in psychology and how the mind works and what motivates others to do the things they do, and then why I do the things I do after the fact.

I hope this makes things more clear.

Well it probably just made it more confusing hah!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The distinction to be made between mirroring and absorption of others' emotions as mentioned in the above link might be your best bet.

The J/P distinction never seems to be a good way for these types to discern the difference, so I'd make that your lowest priority.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks for the quick response Forever!

I also took another cognitive test that was posted on the other forum I mentioned if this helps (I didn't refer to it because of it being on the other forum):

My answers were: Fe or Fi:
1. Fe
2. Fi
3. Fe
4. Fe
5. Both
6. Both
7. Fi
8. Fe
9. Fe
10. Both
11. Fi

Fe= 5 Fi= 3 Both = 3

Ne or Ni:
1. Ni
2. Both
3. Ni
4. Both
5. Ni
6. Both
7. Both
8. Both
9. Ni
10. Both

Ne= 0 Ni= 4 Both=5

When I say "both", that means my answer is entirely based on the situation at hand.

Which if I disregard the "both" answers, then it would be NI and Fe.

This is part of why I'm so confused, but I thought I should add it so as to make more sense.

Now to answer your question. Emotions for me depend on the situation. Some people I'm more in tune with... almost like they are projecting and I have no idea how I truly feel until later and I process it. Others I feel I can't get a read on and I often wonder if that's because their outside doesn't match their inside. Or because I'm more in tune with someone else that is near by.

When I get the chance to actually be alone (which is very rare. I'm isolated, but not alone very often as I have a one year old), I can reflect and sort through emotions. I've also been dealing with some severe depression/mild anxiety issues the past couple of years which has seemed to jumble up my "spidey" senses when it comes to emotions (my own as well as others). I'm just now getting back to my "normal" after a lot of introspection. So this is hard for me to be concrete about, especially with my limited interaction with people.

As for understanding people/humanity. I want to understand why/how people do things as much as I want to know why I do things. I've always been interested in psychology and how the mind works and what motivates others to do the things they do, and then why I do the things I do after the fact.

I hope this makes things more clear.

Well it probably just made it more confusing hah!

:shrug: no you're making it pretty clear as even though I said what I thought the way you're writing isn't trying to deviate. So I'd say INFJ then. I'll just have to confirm it later. There are people who I typed as INFJ here and they all seem satisfied as INFP/ENFP so what do I know? (Although in my opinion they're still not convincingly INFP for me)

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Looking INFJ.

My favorite way to narrow down is looking at the inferior function. Naomi Quenk, who wrote much of the official MBTI materials, used the data and wrote a book looking at the patterns when we are in the grip of our inferior function, Was that really me?

Our inferior is where we go under stress, and so can show us our dominant function. This method really helped me see that I am an ENFJ, not a INFJ.

I would recommend looking at all 4 NF types. Given that you are not sure as to your functions as a NF, this really could help. Ignore the I/E thing (I was sure I was an Introvert, but inferior showed me I was a Fe dom.

IXFP inferior function

INXJ inferior function

ENXJ inferior function

ENTP inferior functions

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

I actually have gone over that and it makes me even more confused :unsure:

If I go with what this says then it'd be:

1. I'll get an "A ha!" moment. Every little thing I do doesn't define who I am, but what I do still defines me overall. so Perspectives (ie INFJ).

2. This is one that I'm constantly wondering about. I want everyone to be in "harmony" but I want myself to be there too. I will often give up my comfort (for lack of a better term at the moment) for other people, but I've been so interested in fixing/finding myself lately that I will sometimes be too self involved to realize what other people's needs are or decide I need to be included in the harmony that I strive for for other people.

3. (this covers the "mirror/absorb" thing from Anaximander as well) I will sometimes "mirror" a person, but it feels like I'm absorbing the feelings if that makes sense. If I don't absorb the feeling and just mirror it, I feel the person I'm around isn't being genuine because I'm getting mixed signals. For example someone I know and was around was acting very upset about something and then started to cry. In most people I would have immediately felt bad and wondered why if I didn't know she was crying. But in this instance I just felt uncomfortable, like the emotion wasn't real (I found that this person has a pretty solid mask that she likes the world to see).

In another instance a friend of mine, the first time I met him, I kept mirroring how he was acting, but I didn't know why until recently. I had just thought the way i was feeling was based on the both of us being shy and me also feeling uncomfortable because of the way the other person (whom I'm very close to) was acting/feeling.

4. Sometimes I want validation and others I just want understood. I think if I get one from someone, then I want the other and vice versa. (based on the page description)

5. I definitely lead with the "perspectives" process when persuading. I like to give alternatives that I think will make the other person feel better, with more freedom and not so trapped by one option.

I'll have to look more that that inferior function idea though, SearchingforPeace. And I'm glad I'm making things clear for someone cause I'm still confused :unsure:

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=26347]anamnesiss[/MENTION] what's holding you back?

List some definite INFP qualities you resonate.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Not trying to hold back, just conflicted. I feel in between the two on most things.

But for definite INFP qualities I'd say, for instance I can see "good" in just about everyone I meet. Just because they wear a societal mask, or don't let their true selves out, doesn't mean they are inherently bad. I see people as shades of gray rather than definitive black and white. This is why I like to know the reasoning behind people's actions/thoughts. I think I'm more interested in individuals motives rather than a group of people's motives. So I see the individual and what motivates them that then brings them into a group or choose to stay individual. If that makes sense.

I've often been told by people I'm a very laid back and "go with the flow" type. If there was a plan in place, but it gets interrupted or discarded I may be a bit disappointed, but I usually can just go with the new course. Even though I do get stressed quite easily about quite a bit, this is still how I react in MOST situations. I do have my moments when I completely unravel when my plan (usually if it's incredibly important) gets messed up though.

I've noticed that I'm prone to being emotional when stressed out. Though I don't know how permanent that one is... or if it'll subside.

I tend to think of myself as a creative individual. I've done various types of art(music, drawing, sculpture, photography, etc) for basically my entire life. And my profession is a freelance photographer with writing/recipe development on the side.

Again I don't like rules. I don't mind guidelines. Rules bother me when they are for me, though I think many people need them. I even got into an argument/heated discussion with someone about rules and how much I don't like them, but why I think they are still good for some as some need direction. It also depends on the rules too. Everything is so subjective with me!

A mundane example of my distaste for rules would be recipes while cooking. I'll often skim over them to see what the gist of it is or just look at a photo and know the basics just from that and then do it my way. I dislike baking because it has to be systematic and followed to a T or it'll flop (rules). With cooking you can take some liberties but know that pineapple and tomato probably won't work together (guidelines).

*Edit* When I'm feeling good/normal I feel that I'm more playful/silly than I perceive most INFJs (at least online most seem so serious... I don't think I've met an INFJ in person though)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate greatly to your dislike of externally imposed rules. It seems like an aversion to Te.

Everything else you wrote in the last post seems familiar as well.

How quickly do you react? Do you make quick judgments or slow judgments?

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Depends on the situation, often of the severity of it. If it's life changing, like moving to another country (I've done this twice) I'll ponder all the possibilities/pros/cons in a couple of days/a week tops. It sounds quick for something so important, but I spend all my time thinking about it so it feels like forever to me.

If it's something that isn't so important I can take a long time. Sometimes that will come based on how to go about revealing/telling another person about it. Say something job related where I need to change the situation to benefit myself (ie get paid on a project or I don't do anything else for them. I'm terrible about continuing to do work and not insisting on being paid for the work I've already done before I continue in hopes that they will do it themselves).

Though I did make a split second decision on quitting a job because I got an "a ha!" moment and knew it wasn't good for me any longer.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's with the dark avatar lol?

Well anyway you keep sounding like an INFJ but I think it's important you address what [MENTION=19700]Anaximander[/MENTION] finds key. The absorption of feeling vs recreating feeling will distinguish Fi from Fe.

Answer that and the rest will seem like nothing else.

Although it sounds so Ne of you to think of all the functions you have could all be equally true.

But this is to confirm AFTER you answered the first question. It seems like you need to be taken things one step at a time.
identify your inferior function. Do you react with inferior Te or inferior Se under stress?

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Ha! The avatar is me! It's my favorite self portrait that I took about... 4 years ago? It's one I use frequently. Need to take a new one.

I agree with what you say about the distinguishing the Fi and Fe. That's what seems to stump me the most. I've heard that one of the obvious signs of Fe is that you can't hide how you feel on your face, and vice versa. My husband can tell just by a glance if I'm upset about something and will say that if I'm happy my face lights up. But back when i was a teenager I had people tell me that they had no idea how I felt or even if I had emotions.

I also have to use facial expressions now that I live in Europe in a country where the native language isn't my own in order to help with my lack of ability to speak the language very well. It's my main way of communicating in any social situation (ie at the store and such). So I have no idea how useful that is.

I'll have to do some more thinking on the Fi vs. Fe thing.

For Te and Se under stress? Anxiety seems to bring out the Te and depression brings out the Se. A depressive episode in varying degrees can last for a longer period of time but I get bouts of anxiety in short bursts. General stress... I'm not sure... I think Te more often than Se?

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Last night I re-read the two descriptions for Te and Se under stress. I actually think general stress is more the Se than Te, but I can see where some parts of Te fit in with the Se that doesn't fit.

I also read more on the Fi and Fe.

When looking I ran across this on INTJforum (not a sub forum here):

Fe is the lava that boils out.
Fi is the fire inside that started it all.

Fe sings.
Fi composes.

Fe asserts itself.
Fi just IS.

Fe is the bird.
Fi is the song.

Fe is contagious.
Fi is seductive.

Fe feels for others.
Fi feels for self.

Fe resounds.
Fi resonates.

Fe is the smile that leads to the kiss.
Fi is the butterfly in your chest that led to the smile.

Fe makes decisions based on values.
Fi makes decisions based on PERSONAL values.

Fe reaches out.
Fi pulls in.

If this is accurate then I would use Fe 90% of the time with a few of the Fi in certain situations.

And then I found this over on personalitycafe forum:

People who use Fe, when making a moral judgement, ask themselves how they feel things should be
People who use Fi, when making a moral judgement, ask themselves how they feel

People who use Fe often use the moral judgements of other people to justify an act or decision
People who use Fi often use their own previous moral judgements to justify an act or decision

People who use Fe are hyper aware of others' feelings
People who use Fi are hyper aware of how others make them feel
(this is the most confusing distinction, as they often lead to the same result)

Most Common Positives:
People who use Fe are accomodating of others' feelings, and making others feel good tends to be their goal
People who use Fi are always aware of how they would feel when treated a certain way. self actualisation tends to be their goal

Most Common Negatives:
People who use Fe tend to side with the majority, leading them to be the types more likely to act like sheep.
Fe users are sometimes bullies because they believe the moral code of the majority is the more important. It's harder for them to be subjective.

People who use Fi tend to side with the individual, or themselves, meaning they tend to resist efforts to conform in any way.
Fi users are sometimes selfish because they believe what they feel is the more important. It's harder for them to be objective.

note: the two functions are mutually exclusive (although the end conclusion is sometimes the same) and every F type faces a decision to go one way or the other in every moral decision/conclusion. 1st function types are more likely to go with one or the other from a young age and show a strong preference, 2nd function types are more likely to mix it up or remain neutral at a young age, but increasingly choose the route most natural to them as they get older.

2nd note: even when Fe types DO side against a majority- it will be because a greater majority (e.g. society at large) or a different majority (e.g. the feelings of friends from childhood, over those of people at a new job) is more important to them.

If this is accurate I have to break it down.

1. I'll do the Fe but I'll sometimes after ask how how I feel.

2. If I make a moral judgment it will be exclusive to my morals, but I will question it to make sure that that moral is correct for each situation and change my idea, how ever minuscule, for that situations purpose. I believe that if we stay stuck in our hard set morals that we won't grow.

3. Both dependent on the person. If I'm (truely) emotionally closer to the person, regardless of physical distance, I will be hyper aware of their feelings. If I'm only physically closer I'll be less aware, but still aware but more focused on me. After the fact I will reflect on how I felt at the time of the interaction.

On the "positives" listed:
I always strive to make other feel good if possible, but I have a tendency to see what it's like to "walk in another person's shoes" even if I don't mean to. This happens most often if I'm not physically around the situation/person and I'm trying to look at it objectively from all sides.

"Negatives" listed

I don't side with the majority because it's the majority and I want peace. If I side with the majority it's because we have the same feeling/ideas/morals. I will do it my way because it's right, not because it's what is expected of me. (this is absolute) This doesn't mean I think people shouldn't try to compromise, I think that people should strive to come up with a solution that benefits everyone involved if at all possible.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

BeyondTheGrey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know.. My gut's saying INFP.
Buttttttttttt, If you think you're an INFJ, then so be it.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My problem is that I every time I think I've got it figured out, I read something that either doesn't sit well with me about the type or read something that resonates with me about the other.

I'm wondering if maybe I was an INFP or INFJ when I was younger and past situations/maturity have changed me and I'm still in the process of it? or that I may have "out of preference characteristics" where I'm an INFJ with INFP characteristics or vice versa. There is a reason I decided to reach out and ask after I've done quite a bit of thinking on the subject. I am still looking for more information, though it all seems to be the same thing with different words, and in a lot of cases the same ones. Can't have a conversation with something static (web page, book, etc), so bouncing ideas off of people who also have done research was the best idea I could come up with to see if there were some other theories/more insight.

Just to clarify, I don't mind being typed as either one as long as it's accurate. I like INFPs and I like INFJs, but I feel more serious than an INFP, more open minded/less rigid than an INFJ, but otherwise have a lot of traits of each, good and bad. Also it seems like many of the listed traits between the two are the same thing but with different wording. The "tests" often don't take into account that most situations/people are different and require more thought than just "I feel for you" vs "I feel you".

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I'm wondering if maybe I was an INFP or INFJ when I was younger and past situations/maturity have changed me and I'm still in the process of it? or that I may have "out of preference characteristics" where I'm an INFJ with INFP characteristics or vice versa. There is a reason I decided to reach out and ask after I've done quite a bit of thinking on the subject. I am still looking for more information, though it all seems to be the same thing with different words, and in a lot of cases the same ones. Can't have a conversation with something static (web page, book, etc), so bouncing ideas off of people who also have done research was the best idea I could come up with to see if there were some other theories/more insight.

Just to clarify, I don't mind being typed as either one as long as it's accurate. I like INFPs and I like INFJs, but I feel more serious than an INFP, more open minded/less rigid than an INFJ, but otherwise have a lot of traits of each, good and bad. Also it seems like many of the listed traits between the two are the same thing but with different wording. The "tests" often don't take into account that most situations/people are different and require more thought than just "I feel for you" vs "I feel you".

The way you come across from your posts is much like I would expect an INFP to.

You're constantly looking for new ideas from the environment (Ne) as opposed to knowing and forming a conclusion in a vacuum (Ni).

I also feel you're misunderstanding the difference between Fe and Fi. It isn't "I feel you" vs "I feel for you". Fi doesn't feel other people's emotions directly at all. Fi users "feel" their own internal world instead (which is why Fi is accused of being selfish) so Fi has to compare another person's experiences to its before they make sense. Fe users "feel" the world around them but are generally much less aware of their own self and inner states as a result.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Also FTR: Your K2C result showed a quite high Si score, higher than your Ni one in fact.

If you were an INFJ this wouldn't make any sense at all - but it does if you are an INFP.

anamnesiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I agree with
You're constantly looking for new ideas from the environment (Ne) as opposed to knowing and forming a conclusion in a vacuum (Ni).
completely.
Because I do always look for many possibilities. But I also can't leave things open ended and if I can find an absolute resolution, that's my aim. If it's something that is important to me, I will obsess over it until I can find some sort of end.

The main problem I have is with the Fe and Fi. If I'm not stressed I will be focused outward:
Fe users "feel" the world around them but are generally much less aware of their own self and inner states as a result

It's when I'm stressed/distressed that I will retreat inward to figure out what's wrong with me at a core level so I can "fix" it. I will then open up to someone close after a lot of reflection to bounce the many ideas I had while focused inward. When I'm in the process of focusing inward it feels like the outer version is cut off because I'm busy ruminating on how I feel. If I'm with someone who is distressed though i can't distinguish if it's from me or an outside cause.

I'm not sure if this is understandable :unsure: I'm really trying to make it make sense :)