• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing yourself whilst depressed

jadves

Enneagram
Is it possible that depression could cause someone to assume they were introverted when in fact they were extroverted? I'm asking because I recently started looking at the tertiary and inferior functions in depth and realized that ENFP fit me much better than INFP or ISFP (the two types I was considering previously) and my introverted demeanor was a product of my depression.

As a kid I was still relatively quiet, but very expressive, smiley and never craved alone time like I do now. I also made friends incredibly easily and was liked by most everyone in school. Nowadays, I find it exhausting to even carry a conversation.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I spent many years unknowingly depressed. I also thought I was introverted. I felt isolated and alone. I typed as a ISTP in an official MBTI test.... but I am not and never have been a ISTP. Nothing in my life would be in very ISTP. It took 20+ years to actually break out of the prison I had created myself, the coping with life that had built the prison.....

So, yes typing is best when healthy..... or at least not in the pit of despair.....

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I'm still an introvert. .. I still prefer images ,history, or ideas to people. ..I don't hate people, but they drain me...and if I was a zillionaire, I'd probably just buy clothes from The Way We Wore, decorate my house, cook food and listen to music (like I already do)...I think what confused me ultimately is a good friend of mine committed suicide in my teens, and I like people but I don't. ...I realized ISFP probably fitted me best because I ultimately seek out new experiences. ..I'm not introverted enough to be INFP...but ENFP made less and less sense, and ESFP was probably worse if I was expected to be super introverted...because I could spend my life having external experience. ...I could not have it with people constantly yammering my ear off. My ideal is to construct a world, which is typically an introvert thing, I'm just not satisfied by the same old thing, but that's merely a trait of Pe types. ..a character I really like in literature or film is Mildred Pierce, maybe not the Joan Crawford version but the Kate Winslet version...someone who takes shit, and creates gold,and no one can really stop her.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I typed as an introvert when I was depressed. Thought I was INFP for a sure, then switched to ISFP. When I got un-depressed I realized I'm an extrovert who is picky about who I want to be around.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Look at the inferior. Usually the dom/inferior relationship is askew in those cases I believe. When I was depressed, my inferior was what I was focusing on, and my dom was quite literally myself that I felt I'd lost.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It doesn't work. I thought for sure I was IxFP or IxxJ when I was depressed but now I'm totally different (back to how I was before the depression).

FlyTrap

MBTI Type
_N_P
I identify best with ENFP and INTP. Can't get far enough out of the mire.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I was trying to fit myself in a world I didn't really like or want to be in, and wasn't very happy, and was very much in my head for the bulk of my 20's, in jobs/professions I didn't really like, and identified as INxJ during that time, and wasn't til mid 30's I turned all of that upside down and realized what my **preferences** actually were.

I could go into a detailed post about all of that, but I'll just say, typing yourself when you're unhappy is a bad idea, it's not really your 'true self' there, I mean, it's not NOT you, but it's your less optimal self, and it's you when you're just coping or trying to survive or rationalizing or plodding along. And if you're not happy with your life or how you're doing or feeling, or feel you've lost yourself, something is probably out of balance. Just my opinion.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I have always been me. Being unhappy a lot of the time doesn't change that. Then again, I don't have clinical depression. :shrug:

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depression can cloud your true preferences and your self view. You can still type whilst depressed but that's not really recommended due to the reasons above.