• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can an extrovert turn into an introvert?

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do turn into an introvert in the night, when I'm quietly dreaming on my pillow:happy2:

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Supposedly I was interested in doing and seeing everything as a child. I think that was simply because of Ne, but does not mean that it's necessarily your dominant function since you display it during early life. Not long after, I became progressively introverted.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would have said, no, I don't think so, but now, recalling how my little sister was when she was a child - very shy and quiet - and looking at her now, extremely extroverted, I might have to say yeah, I think so.

Mole

Permabanned
Under the Bell Curve almost all of us are part introverted and part extroverted.

However at either end of the Bell Curve are found a tiny number of introverts and extroverts.

These facts show that mbti give a false and misleading picture of the personality.

However when we are socially excluded, we naturally look around for an explanation, and a false and misleading explanation is better than no explanation, and so we discover, with the help of mbti, the reason for our social exclusion.

That it is a false and misleading explanation doesn't matter in the sense of relief it gives us to discover what's wrong with us.

Lark

As time goes by I could claim to be becoming more introverted but I think its just a bad case of being sick and tired of people altogether.

The life of hermitage beckons.

If I only have the money to bankroll my vault I'd fucking leave the human race to their disgrace.

ghostlovescore

I think it's possible. You can't change types because the functions change but if you're only changing from an INFP to an ENFP the functions would stay the same, just be preferred in a different order.

Mole

Permabanned
There are very few extroverts and very few introverts, rather most of us are in a spectrum of introversion and extroversion.

So except for a very few, introversion and extroversion doesn't exist.

Of course there is a whole fraudulent industry devoted to 'helping' us with our non-existent introversion and extroversion.

And this fraudulent industry panders to our narcissism.

So we have the unedifying spectacle of narcissists being pandered to by frauds - but it puts food on our table as we laugh all the way to the bank.

Litsnob

There are very few extroverts and very few introverts, rather most of us are in a spectrum of introversion and extroversion.

So except for a very few, introversion and extroversion doesn't exist.

Of course there is a whole fraudulent industry devoted to 'helping' us with our non-existent introversion and extroversion.

And this fraudulent industry panders to our narcissism.

So we have the unedifying spectacle of narcissists being pandered to by frauds - but it puts food on our table as we laugh all the way to the bank.

However, this does make life a bit tricky for those who really are close to the extreme ends.

Of interest to me, and probably nobody but me:
My Dad is a true ambivert, testing slightly more extroverted but really balanced. My mother is much more introverted but also shy so she thinks of herself as an extreme introvert. I test (and feel) like an extreme introvert but am capable of acting like an extrovert if required, which fools most people but really exhausts me. I am not usually shy. My ex husband thinks he is an introvert but I think he is an extrovert who was shy as a child and has some left over insecurities, which lead him to seeing introversion as a flaw.

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I think it may be possible. I was just talking about this with another INTP. We recall being way more extroverted as children, and taking a glance about those (not very scientific) websites that talk about types in children, I remember being more ENTP than INTP, whereas my friend agreed with the INTP descriptions, only that wasn't so much time locked inside his room.

However, if I think about it deeply, I have never been as extrovert as "real" extroverts. I was the kind that pondered whether to climb a tree or use the swings for several minutes lying on the grass, and preferred (most of the times) check for woodlice or 4-leaf clover than play hide and seek with the neighbours in our dirt street. I attribute it to my parents that never let me go outside and play with others until late. They preferred me inviting others to play to my house. That and a couple handfuls of shitty things that happened to me, which led me to not believe in people and knowing that I'm better off alone. I now really enjoy being alone, and even spending time with friends for a long time is a drag.

So, summing up, I believe that if you experience enough crap in your life, you can change. Besides, it's very different how you experience life as a child and how you experience it as a teen or an adult: you discard some habits, take up anothers, make choices, react unconsciously to what surrounds you.. it's very difficult to find a point in which you can say "I've been like this since forever". At least that's my case. Anyone else?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. I was an extroverted child and teenager before the dark times... before the empire.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Almost all introvert adults that I know were extrovert children, I'm an extrovert adult and used to be an introverted child..
sometimes when I'm fed up with people or feel really hurt or not treated fairly, I isolate myself from them and prefer to be alone all the time..